Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The new prices the CRTC set are atrocious and pretty much force Teksavvy to price identical to Bell with an added $100 install fee just to gently caress potential customers over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Awesome, didn't know that. You guys got what you want Bell was about too but then got bit in the rear end by the public.

Looks like this time around they might actually start looking out for Canadians from what I've heard so far from the hearings. You said the cable speeds will be the same, will that be the case for Quebec too? We're getting shafted pretty hard on that end. I'd switch to you guys but your plans are identical to Videotrons, guess i'll wait too see what happens on that end, if not i'll switch to your higher end dsl plans.

8ender posted:

The new prices the CRTC set are atrocious and pretty much force Teksavvy to price identical to Bell with an added $100 install fee just to gently caress potential customers over.

Their caps are about triple that of Bell's which is worth the price.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I would suggest everyone here who cares about the Internet to listen in on Monday (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm) when the big ISPs actually have to debate with CNOC and the like. That's where the real war is. It will all be about convincing the CRTC of what is best for Canadians and what is also the best compromise.

Aggravated Volume Pricing is just UBB with a new costume, even after Bell admitted that UBB means nothing and it's just their way of limiting customers. It's all about trying to force the wholesalers to make people use less Internet and "reward" people for using less Internet. 95th Percentile is something we've got Shaw to say wasn't so bad but of course Bell and Rogers will fight it. It's all about getting enough convinced it's right and convincing the CRTC it is right.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

I would suggest everyone here who cares about the Internet to listen in on Monday (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm) when the big ISPs actually have to debate with CNOC and the like. That's where the real war is. It will all be about convincing the CRTC of what is best for Canadians and what is also the best compromise.

Aggravated Volume Pricing is just UBB with a new costume, even after Bell admitted that UBB means nothing and it's just their way of limiting customers. It's all about trying to force the wholesalers to make people use less Internet and "reward" people for using less Internet. 95th Percentile is something we've got Shaw to say wasn't so bad but of course Bell and Rogers will fight it. It's all about getting enough convinced it's right and convincing the CRTC it is right.

From what I've heard so far I know you guys are against any sort of UBB/AVP bullshit plan. But are you guys also trying to bring the prices down by doing a cost plus markup instead of what you have now(their price-15% or whatever it is)? Or will that be a whole other debate.

Also I hope George Burger will be there on Monday to give it to Mirko.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Why aren't there any unlimited DSL plans past 5/800? I would get the 12/1, but it's 300GB. Same with the 25.

Of course, this doesn't really matter if Distributel actually pulls through.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jizzpowered posted:

Their caps are about triple that of Bell's which is worth the price.

But its not. Bell has just successfully moved the goal posts over and over during this debate. Caps are acceptable now? A $100 install fee to do the same thing they did with the 5meg service is okay now? Higher costs to independent ISPs for faster tiers when all it is on Bell's end is a speed profile change?

Before all of this the independents were getting unrestricted, unthrottled, and unlimited 5meg DSL from Bell for a decent wholesale price of around $26 per subscriber, and it was expected that they'd get a similar deal with the new speeds. Look where Bell has taken the debate now and what the CRTC is settling for. Its appalling.

8ender fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 14, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jizzpowered posted:

Looks like this time around they might actually start looking out for Canadians from what I've heard so far from the hearings. You said the cable speeds will be the same, will that be the case for Quebec too? We're getting shafted pretty hard on that end. I'd switch to you guys but your plans are identical to Videotrons, guess i'll wait too see what happens on that end, if not i'll switch to your higher end dsl plans.

Not sure. But our High Speed DSL 12 package is $44.97 plus $99 Start-Up in Quebec instead of $47.97 plus $99 Start-Up everywhere else.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've been trying to listen to the CRTC stream for the past few days on my mac, but every time I try, it tells me I have to relaunch firefox in 32-bit mode, and then firefox crashes horribly until I stop trying to open it... does anyone have any suggestions for how I could listen to it?

I can't figure out how to get it to stream in VLC, either. :(

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

8ender posted:

But its not. Bell has just successfully moved the goal posts over and over during this debate. Caps are acceptable now? A $100 install fee to do the same thing they did with the 5meg service is okay now? Higher costs to independent ISPs for faster tiers when all it is on Bell's end is a speed profile change?

Before all of this the independents were getting unrestricted, unthrottled, and unlimited 5meg DSL from Bell for a decent wholesale price of around $26 per subscriber, and it was expected that they'd get a similar deal with the new speeds. Look where Bell has taken the debate now and what the CRTC is settling for. Its appalling.

I never said it's alright but I'd rather give my money to a company that's actually fighting for it's customer and not trying to gouge them. If they are the same price why would I not go for the higher cap and better company.

100 is a lot but Bell will charge you around 40 anyways to set up your account. Bell hasn't taken the debate anywhere they are getting hammered from every direction right now, even Telus is saying UBB serves no purpose and is not needed. If the CRTC rules against AVP and UBB then you'll start to see unlimited internet again offered by the smaller ISP's.

The guy speaking right now is loving knocking it out of the park. Holy poo poo.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I've been trying to listen to the CRTC stream for the past few days on my mac, but every time I try, it tells me I have to relaunch firefox in 32-bit mode, and then firefox crashes horribly until I stop trying to open it... does anyone have any suggestions for how I could listen to it?

I can't figure out how to get it to stream in VLC, either. :(

Go to VLC click open network and paste mms://STREAMER.crtc.gc.ca/stream1-english in.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Go to VLC click open network and paste mms://STREAMER.crtc.gc.ca/stream1-english in.

Worked like a charm. Thank you!! :)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Lone Rogue posted:

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

We added some new high speed packages.

What ontario only?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jizzpowered posted:

I never said it's alright but I'd rather give my money to a company that's actually fighting for it's customer and not trying to gouge them. If they are the same price why would I not go for the higher cap and better company.

100 is a lot but Bell will charge you around 40 anyways to set up your account. Bell hasn't taken the debate anywhere they are getting hammered from every direction right now, even Telus is saying UBB serves no purpose and is not needed. If the CRTC rules against AVP and UBB then you'll start to see unlimited internet again offered by the smaller ISP's.

No I agree and I currently use Teksavvy. What I'm saying is that these things didn't exist before all of this started and Bell has been really successful even if they do look bad in the debates because now they do.

Its death by a thousand little CRTC rulings and with these new speeds and prices the independents are now forced to price parity with Bell for their packages. If UBB/AVP goes through then they're going to be stuck with similar caps as well. This is exactly what Bell set out to do: eliminate independents by removing their ability to differentiate their offerings. Regardless of how the debates are going its hard to say that Bell hasn't succeeded so far.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
What really surprised me about that crtc thing is that shaw and telus said yea its no big deal with just upgrade our stuff.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

8ender posted:

No I agree and I currently use Teksavvy. What I'm saying is that these things didn't exist before all of this started and Bell has been really successful even if they do look bad in the debates because now they do.

Its death by a thousand little CRTC rulings and with these new speeds and prices the independents are now forced to price parity with Bell for their packages. If UBB/AVP goes through then they're going to be stuck with similar caps as well. This is exactly what Bell set out to do: eliminate independents by removing their ability to differentiate their offerings. Regardless of how the debates are going its hard to say that Bell hasn't succeeded so far.

Ah my bad then. I get what you're saying. Bell has been winning lately but I do think things are going to change. The CRTC can just turn around and say UBB is great and rules in favor but if that does happen now with all this information out there and all the companies coming forward, poo poo will hit the fan even more.

Bell actually said in the first meeting the UBB/AVP isn't because of congestion it's because of competition. They're is not much of a reason anymore to side with UBB even the CRTC see that now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jizzpowered posted:

Ah my bad then. I get what you're saying. Bell has been winning lately but I do think things are going to change. The CRTC can just turn around and say UBB is great and rules in favor but if that does happen now with all this information out there and all the companies coming forward, poo poo will hit the fan even more.

Bell actually said in the first meeting the UBB/AVP isn't because of congestion it's because of competition. They're is not much of a reason anymore to side with UBB even the CRTC see that now.

But then you had some batshit insane idiot on the CRTC panel yesterday who asked what it would take to get every independent ISP off of the phone lines and onto cable lines, as if that would solve everything.

However, it's difficult to judge questions right now because Pentefountas asked someone what's so wrong with a few companies owning control of the Internet and as bewildering as that seems, it's a good question to ask in order to make sure someone answers with a passionate, natural response instead of what's written down in the document they sent to CRTC already. It was to get a rise, not an opinion the CRTC holds (we hope).

EDIT: My favourite tweet so far during the hearing:

thezenmonkey Richard Rudy
Dear #CRTC, you've used up your allotted words, you need to stop talking for the rest of the month

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 14, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That's actually a decent analogy. Words are unlimited, but during certain times of the day like debate in Parliament, a lot of people want to talk at the same time and time is limited so there's "congestion" there. Otherwise, it's absolutely ludicrous to limit the number of words you can use.

That might be the only analogy that would make sense to politicians.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?

Dudebro posted:

Why aren't there any unlimited DSL plans past 5/800? I would get the 12/1, but it's 300GB. Same with the 25.

Of course, this doesn't really matter if Distributel actually pulls through.

Agreed. I'm using about 300GB/m now on a 5Mb connection so with a speed increase and general upward trend of usage I'll be way over that cap in no time. any word on if there will be an unlimited option?
I cant get cable here so I'm kinda stuck with DSL

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Any changes for cable plans coming for Teksavvy? All I've been hearing about is the Bell DSL stuff

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Brace posted:

Any changes for cable plans coming for Teksavvy? All I've been hearing about is the Bell DSL stuff

Yes, not yet. Not sure when. Seems TSR's find this stuff out three days before everyone else finds out so I'm going to actually eat lunch in the cafeteria more often and find out for you guys (I like to eat at my computer)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

There wasn't a Cable/Digital TV thread so I guess I'll put this here.

Just got a letter from Shaw telling me they'll give me a new digital box to replace my DCT 2000. Anyone hear anything about this? I want to know what they'll be replacing it with.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

drcru posted:

There wasn't a Cable/Digital TV thread so I guess I'll put this here.

Just got a letter from Shaw telling me they'll give me a new digital box to replace my DCT 2000. Anyone hear anything about this? I want to know what they'll be replacing it with.

Ah as far as i can tell a dct2000 is just a viewier no recording so it would likely be their default one which is a dct 700

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Sprawl posted:

Ah as far as i can tell a dct2000 is just a viewier no recording so it would likely be their default one which is a dct 700

I just looked it up too :( No more SVideo I guess. I wonder if this is because my DCT 2000 shows movies at $0.00?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So, what's stopping Verizon or someone from hopping across the border and installing their own FTTP networks? They could absolutely destroy the competition in both price and service levels.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?
Requirement of majority Canadian Ownership but after the whole Wind mobile deal the market may be opening up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

l33t HAXOR posted:

Requirement of majority Canadian Ownership but after the whole Wind mobile deal the market may be opening up.

Wait, what? That's a law? Is this for all businesses that operate in Canada? If so, that is the most anti-competitive law ever. :psyduck:

Edit: Holy poo poo, it is. What the gently caress, Canada?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 15, 2011

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

KillHour posted:

Wait, what? That's a law? Is this for all businesses that operate in Canada? If so, that is the most anti-competitive law ever. :psyduck:

No, only for certain industries (banking, broadcasting, cable and telecom, a few others I'm likely missing).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

No, only for certain industries (banking, broadcasting, cable and telecom, a few others I'm likely missing).

Apparently, all other companies need at least 25% Canadians on the board of directors. You guys are all kinds of hosed up.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

KillHour posted:

So, what's stopping Verizon or someone from hopping across the border and installing their own FTTP networks? They could absolutely destroy the competition in both price and service levels.

Installing ANY wiring to the premise is really expensive. That's why the incumbent telco's and ISP's have such an advantage, the wiring is already laid.

It's also why DSL companies, like Telus, will only really have fiber to new houses and apartment complexes. Sure, they'll wire fiber to the DSLAM's, (which is essentially what their Optik stuff is), but never last mile to a customer's premise.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

drcru posted:

I just looked it up too :( No more SVideo I guess. I wonder if this is because my DCT 2000 shows movies at $0.00?

Video on Demand stopped working for the 2000s a lil while back, so that's almost certainly the reason. (Those $0 movies probably wouldn't actually order, for the record)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

KillHour posted:

Apparently, all other companies need at least 25% Canadians on the board of directors. You guys are all kinds of hosed up.

That's to prevent us being owned by the US. We would prefer to be owned by the Chinese instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Backov posted:

That's to prevent us being owned by the US.

Then it's already failed.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"Netflix is eating up too much Internet."

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/07/15/shaw-launches-netflix-rival-angers-ubb-critics/

"But you can use Shaw Movie Club and never have to worry about data caps!"

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Man, I am glad Michael Geist is who he is.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

"Netflix is eating up too much Internet."

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/07/15/shaw-launches-netflix-rival-angers-ubb-critics/

"But you can use Shaw Movie Club and never have to worry about data caps!"

Shaw and telus both never complained in those sessions about netflix or ubb. Just so you know.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Sprawl posted:

Shaw and telus both never complained in those sessions about netflix or ubb. Just so you know.

It's still anticompetitive bullshit.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

It's still anticompetitive bullshit.

Yes that is but wouldn't the single rents of their VOD stuff count too because those also dont count against your data cap.

And after reading some articles it says that its only available to shaw customers which means it wouldn't reach the anti-competitive level because no one else can use it.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 15, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sprawl posted:

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/04/25/shaw-planning-to-implement-ubb-as-early-as-this-summer/ posted:

In February, Shaw announced plans to hold a series of public consultation meetings with its customers before going ahead with any kind of usage-based billing.

However, it now appears after meeting with its users, Shaw appears set to go ahead and implement some form of UBB on its retail customers.

“We are of the mind that we still have a tremendous upside in terms of pricing power on our Internet services and through the course of our consultations with our customers, I think what we’ve seen from that is a recognition that the principle of ‘if you use more, you should pay more’ holds true,” Shaw chief executive Bradley Shaw is quoted as saying in a transcript of the call from April 13.

“But we believe as we work our way through some of the feedback we received from them that there really is a win-win for our shareholders [as all of] their customers in the way we offer our tiers of Internet services.”

Shaw is by no means the worst monster in this, but they were also the second company after Bell to implement UBB immediately after the CRTC ruling in November.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Got an email from Shaw, now they've got a 50 megabit connection for about 50 bucks a month which isn't bad. I wish we had TekSavvy in the area but I can't even get Telus Optik right now in my apartment. I actually quite like Shaw's speeds in the area too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Shaw is by no means the worst monster in this, but they were also the second company after Bell to implement UBB immediately after the CRTC ruling in November.

iirc as far back as 5 years ago they have had posted limits on data. I dont really see data caps especially when they offer unlimited plans as a big deal. But they also aren't the ones complaining about guys like tekksavvy and needing to charge them more.