Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Elentor posted:

Guys, I said "next update", not "in 120 pages".

Aeris and Red then, for team genetic freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Oxxidation posted:

Red's an all-rounder (he's even got weapons that attack from the back row in case you want him to be a dedicated spellcaster), but he's not that great in battle thanks to his weak Limits.

The Hairclip, his long-range weapon, has no materia slots and 0 magic. His initial Mythril Clip with Long Range attached is better for casting since you get a few points of magic and some materia slots. Later weapons further seal the deal.

:eng101:
Red XIII's Silver Barette weapon cannot be sold. It's his 4-linked slot weapon, the next tier up from the stuff Elentor is stealing. It's buyable, so it's probably a coding accident considering there's a plot-related special weapon he gets about the same time that also can't be sold.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silver Falcon posted:

Aeris and Red then, for team genetic freaks.

Don't lie to us. You secretly wish to carry on Hojo's research.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't lie to us. You secretly wish to carry on Hojo's research.

Hmm, well I am a scientist, but Hojo-ology is not really my field. I'd be more the type to study the genetic freaks that arise from Hojo's tinkering in their natural habitat.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Voting for Aeris and Red.

Kind of surprised by the general positive attitude towards Yuffie. I always hated her. She's annoying, and offers no dialogue or anything to the story from what I remember other than complaining about the current situation and how she wants to go hunt for some materia instead. Yawn, whatever.

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

Phyein posted:

Kind of surprised by the general positive attitude towards Yuffie. I always hated her. She's annoying, and offers no dialogue or anything to the story from what I remember other than complaining about the current situation and how she wants to go hunt for some materia instead. Yawn, whatever.

Me too, although I don't really dislike her either. Gamebreaking or not I just don't use characters I don't care for. :colbert:

Also voting for team FFX-2 in every situation the game will allow it.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Red had some pretty snoozeworthy dialogue options if I'm remembering correctly. They seem to all go along the lines of "fascinating" and "....." Barrett is the way to go because he internalising nothing, if a plot development is loving stupid, why he'll just go and tell you so!

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011

Phyein posted:

That's almost precicely the opposite of my opinion. I thought Yuffie was the most relatable character in the game because all she did was complain about the current situation and how she wants to go hunt for some materia instead. Then again, I was a spoiled middle class 15 year old with very few friends who always complained about whatever I was doing and how I wanted to go play more video games...

Edit: Huh...

Says more about me than the game, doesn't it...

Oh well! I always knew I was crazy!

Loving this thread so far!

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Yuffie was always a preferred character for me because of her dialogue, along with being one of the better fighters in the game. She also has the best reaction to the end of disc one. I've always suspected that most of the hate she gets is due to how annoying other characters of her archetype can be.

As an aside, blacking out these names is getting kind of tedious. Is it really necessary to do. As said before, they're in the game manual.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Bravo posted:

Once again, incorrect! Most of the final weapons have a special thing which will boost their attack. New person's final weapon is mostly concerned around it's special (And amazing) gimmick, so it doesn't have that great damage scaling. Barret's final weapon increases attack with the amount of AP on the weapon. This makes Barret one of only two characters who can actually deal so much damage with his final weapon that he can break the game. Even if you don't sperg out with Mastered materia, with the stuff you'd have available at endgame you can easily top out Barret's limit without having to do any source grinding.

Although, this doesn't counter your second point, that by this point nothing in the game is a challenge. But seriously, it's FFVII. Look at all the myriad ways the game is being broken this early on. It's harder not to bend the game completely over your knee by the endgame.
The strategy guide never mentioned anything about ultimate weapon gimmicks. I only knew of Cloud's because his sword looks fugly when he gets weak.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I can't remember if Red XIII gravitates more toward physical or magic, or whether he's mixed.

He does both. You might say he's a... red mage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yuffie was always a preferred character for me because of her dialogue, along with being one of the better fighters in the game. She also has the best reaction to the end of disc one. I've always suspected that most of the hate she gets is due to how annoying other characters of her archetype can be.

As an aside, blacking out these names is getting kind of tedious. Is it really necessary to do. As said before, they're in the game manual.

Here, I'll just get this out of the way: Yuffie. Her name is Yuffie.

And I agree- I hate her archetype, but I actually like her. So whether that means they did the archetype well or poorly, I dunno. Or maybe I'd hate her too if this game had voice acting (not that lack of voice acting made Selfie better...).

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011

DocFrance posted:

He does both. You might say he's a... red mage.

TWEEET! Foul!

Unnecessary Punsmenship on the thread!

Just kidding, I laughed pretty hard when I read it.

Content: was there ever a reason for Red XIII's name in the game story? I always guessed he was the 13th red coated specimen in the control group or something, but is there something that specifically mentions it in the game world? Like do the color red and the number 13 have some significance in Japan?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Magicpokey posted:

TWEEET! Foul!

Content: was there ever a reason for Red XIII's name in the game story? I always guessed he was the 13th red coated specimen in the control group or something, but is there something that specifically mentions it in the game world? Like do the color red and the number 13 have some significance in Japan?

I think it's just because he's got red fur and Hojo numbers all his specimens.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

The strategy guide never mentioned anything about ultimate weapon gimmicks. I only knew of Cloud's because his sword looks fugly when he gets weak.

Yet another advantage the Versus guide has over Brady's official one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magicpokey posted:

TWEEET! Foul!

I'm pretty sure Red 13 is Luke's callsign in Star Wars.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Disagreeing with this on the dialogue count, but agreeing on the reaction count. I found her reaction to be one of the most moving because she's so blatantly honest. Where a lot of characters try to be strong, she just lets it all out. It's one of the few moments that she really shines (getting the date with her is also pretty good).

DocFrance posted:

I'm pretty sure Red 13 is Luke's callsign in Star Wars.

Nah, Luke was Red 5.
:goonsay:

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 15, 2011

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Re: the pros and cons of various teammates... To me, Red XIII is indisputably the worst character. Why? Because his model doesn't change at all when you change his weapon. :colbert:

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yet another advantage the Versus guide has over Brady's official one.

Oh, man, you just took me back. When my brother and I played through FFVII, we had a copy of the Versus guide. Even at the age of 11, I was extremely impressed by it. My completely nostalgia-tinted recollection is that it was thorough, fun to read, and gave as few plot spoilers as it possibly could while covering all the gameplay stuff.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Where is it ever mentioned that the Midgar Zolom/Serpent was a she? Only Elentor seems to be referring to it by its gender/sex.

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011

Daigerus posted:

Where is it ever mentioned that the Midgar Zolom/Serpent was a she? Only Elentor seems to be referring to it by its gender/sex.

I never saw it's gender mentioned. I think elentor is using 'she' in the same way you would use 'she' and 'her' to refer to a boat or large construct of some sort.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dallbun posted:

Re: the pros and cons of various teammates... To me, Red XIII is indisputably the worst character. Why? Because his model doesn't change at all when you change his weapon. :colbert:

On the other hand, Red is a talking dog and therefore one of the best characters.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Crowetron posted:

On the other hand, Red is a talking dog and therefore one of the best characters.

...which is why he barely appears in the EU. Red knows he's too awesome for that poo poo.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I went through the game with Yuffie and the guy everybody hates, with the character most fouled by the EU stuff in from time to time. I never got the hate for THAT GUY, but then again I thought a certain other background character had died, making his inclusion to the party more meaningful.

I'd suggest Red XIII and Aeris for the next bit, Red's amazing in the early game but drops in usefulness later, while Aeris is pretty much the best character to go through the whole game with.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

I'd suggest Red XIII and Aeris for the next bit, Red's amazing in the early game but drops in usefulness later, while Aeris is pretty much the best character to go through the whole game with.

Yeah, she's never all that good at hitting things but her magic is always ahead of everyone else. Plus her best weapon is really easy to get, and her last limit makes everyone totally invincible. She's pretty broken, actually.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, she's never all that good at hitting things but her magic is always ahead of everyone else. Plus her best weapon is really easy to get, and her last limit makes everyone totally invincible. She's pretty broken, actually.

Also doesn't her ultimate weapon get triple power or something ridiculous like that if the other two party members are dead?

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Also doesn't her ultimate weapon get triple power or something ridiculous like that if the other two party members are dead?

I believe that is the case, yes. Tifa has a late-game weapon with a similar gimick, except it either doubles or tripples in power depending on certain status effects she's burdened with...

And those damage multipliers apparently stack.

Not much point if you've farmed sources, but if you're rushing through it can be among the most powerful weapons in the game, albeit at the cost of needing to stack a bunch of status ailments on Tifa each time a battle starts. That and the base damage for it is kind of lovely.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Barret and Cid, for maximum hilarity. Both of them have the funniest dialog in the game.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

MGlBlaze posted:

I believe that is the case, yes. Tifa has a late-game weapon with a similar gimick, except it either doubles or tripples in power depending on certain status effects she's burdened with...

And those damage multipliers apparently stack.

Not much point if you've farmed sources, but if you're rushing through it can be among the most powerful weapons in the game, albeit at the cost of needing to stack a bunch of status ailments on Tifa each time a battle starts. That and the base damage for it is kind of lovely.

Well clearly the solution there is to put a ribbon on Cloud and your third, give Tifa whatever accessory nulls Blind, and open every battle with Bad Breath. Does BB inflict Frog or Mini? that's the only flaw I can think of in this plan.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yuffie was always a preferred character for me because of her dialogue, along with being one of the better fighters in the game. She also has the best reaction to the end of disc one.
I found this out in my recent playthrough. I liked her anyway because she's kinda amusing in general, but her reaction at the end of the disc was just adorable. :3:

MGlBlaze posted:

Not much point if you've farmed sources, but if you're rushing through it can be among the most powerful weapons in the game, albeit at the cost of needing to stack a bunch of status ailments on Tifa each time a battle starts.
Give Tifa a Curse Ring. With the kind of damage she deals out, you won't need to worry about battles taking too long for anything other than superbosses. Hell, I had two teammates wearing Curse Rings by the end of the game simply because the stat boosts they gave out meant battles never actually lasted long enough for the status to kick in.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys don't need to spoiler future member names because it's all in the manual/installation images. Knowing the name of the future members or how they look like has no influence in the plot because it's not like Heidegger joins the group or anything.

Yuffie and Aeris have my favorite dialogue so once I get Yuffie, we'll probably see this party a lot. Aeris because she is curious about everything and perky so it's good plot exposition material. Yuffie because she offers an outsider's view, her dialogue is pretty much a LP comment on itself since she's the only one who's not used to all the weird crap that is being shoved on us.

Vincent is an okay character dialogue-wise. His initial conversation is god-awful but he has some interesting script after that. Unfortunately most people don't know because he's a gimmick character so no one uses him.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Vincent is an okay character dialogue-wise. His initial conversation is god-awful but he has some interesting script after that. Unfortunately most people don't know because he's a gimmick character so no one uses him.

But his gimmick is awesome.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
His gimmick also involves elemental damage and he can unintentionally make certain boss fights a headache.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Enallyniv posted:

Give Tifa a Curse Ring. With the kind of damage she deals out, you won't need to worry about battles taking too long for anything other than superbosses. Hell, I had two teammates wearing Curse Rings by the end of the game simply because the stat boosts they gave out meant battles never actually lasted long enough for the status to kick in.

And if a battle does last that long, you have Death Force.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Jakse posted:

His gimmick also involves elemental damage and he can unintentionally make certain boss fights a headache.

Pft, that's just called "hard mode." :smug:

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Goons posted:

Vincent

There are times I regret knowing a lot about how games work and number crunching and all that, because when I was younger and played FF7 for the first time, I used to use Cid and Vincent for no reason other than I thought they were both cool characters. This also led me to use Vincent as a physical character because in my young mind GUN = MUST BE ABLE TO KILL STUFF EASILY, but then apparently my young mind was also a bit sexiest, because I never ended up using Titta or Aeris much, despite them both being pretty awesome characters.

There is one reason why I always disliked Yuffie, and that'll be coming up later, but other than that I don't see why people really have beef with her.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Titta
Intentional typo?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Do you know they gave her jiggle physics in Dissidia?

Someone was paid money to make sure thoses physics were properly jiggled. I can't tell if that's the best job ever, or the saddest job ever.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Rythian posted:

Intentional typo?

Second time I played FF7 it's what my immature young mind named her. Barret was Mr. T but hey, who hasn't renamed him that before? It produces two good early game lines. First one is in Shinra building when Aeris says "Thank you Mr Barret.", rename him, his line after is "Hey, who you calling Mr Mr. T?"

When Cloud is leaving Bar 7, and Tifa says something like "help Avalanche etc etc", Cloud says "Let Mr. T and his buddies do something about it."

I love it when a plan comes together.

Cait Sith was renamed Stay Puft, and Cid was given the amazing original name of Captain. Can't really remember what I did with the others.

Phoenix Taichou fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 15, 2011

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Second time I played FF7 it's what my immature young mind named her. Barret was Mr. T but hey, who hasn't renamed him that before? It produces two good early game lines. First one is in Shinra building when Aeris says "Thank you Mr Barret.", rename him, his line after is "Hey, who you calling Mr Mr. T?"

When Cloud is leaving Bar 7, and Tifa says something like "help Avalanche etc etc", Cloud says "Let Mr. T and his buddies do something about it."

I love it when a plan comes together.

Cait Sith was renamed Stay Puft, and Cid was given the amazing original name of Captain. Can't really remember what I did with the others.

I first played FF7 on my cousin's playstation. He insisted that I name Barrett "Baracas".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I always wondered what would happen if you Rename Red with his real name Nanaki and if you would get a clever new lines of dialogue in the Grand Canyon when I was young.

I mostly renamed them after my friends with Barret being Dav, always brought me chuckles and my friend who introduced me to ff7 Craig was the new Cid cause Cid is awesome.

Though I prefer getting to rename the GFs in FF8 as pikachu for the lighting guy and Doom train made me giggle. And when you discussed it with your mates you got to see a range or different pronoucations for names like Seifer.

• Locked thread