Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Is Metro 2033 worth $20? I've been wanting that game for a while now and my i5-2500K and GTX460 like pain.

You probably should've picked it up during the Steam Summer Sale, but even at 20 it's worth it if you like brutal Eastern European shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

spasticColon posted:

Is Metro 2033 worth $20? I've been wanting that game for a while now and my i5-2500K and GTX460 like pain.

It's a well made, very pretty linear shooter with some occasional jump scares. It's ok, but I've got to admit it didn't do a lot for me.

In other news, I ordered my X-52, re-downloaded Freespace 2 and am going to grab FS2Open today as well, so a trip report will be forthcoming.

I just wish I could experience "DIVE DIVE DIVE! HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!" for the first time again.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I thought it was fantastic. It's one of those games that is like playing through a book (it is based on one of the same name) and has some really subtle moral choices that give you multiple endings. Most people who play it don't even realise it has multiple endings.

If you take your time and play it as if were a story rather than a game it is absolutely excellent. I can understand wholly why some people found it to be a linear shooter, because if you go into it hoping for an awesome fps game then it will just appear average.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Creepy Goat posted:

I thought it was fantastic. It's one of those games that is like playing through a book (it is based on one of the same name) and has some really subtle moral choices that give you multiple endings. Most people who play it don't even realise it has multiple endings.

If you take your time and play it as if were a story rather than a game it is absolutely excellent. I can understand wholly why some people found it to be a linear shooter, because if you go into it hoping for an awesome fps game then it will just appear average.

I feel the same way about it. That game is just dripping with atmosphere.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Also, the graphics? Metro 2033 just looks amazing, it really blew me away the first time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Metro 2033, but didn't realise there were moral choices in the game, and ended up blowing up part of the Metro where the "evil" dudes were

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

spasticColon posted:

Is it worth it? yes; should you get it for that price? no.
THQ does tons of sales and with the sequel coming "soon" you can bet they will do another one for it.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Zedd posted:

Is it worth it? yes; should you get it for that price? no.
THQ does tons of sales and with the sequel coming "soon" you can bet they will do another one for it.

yeah it was £5 during the christmas sale (don't remember seeing it during the summer sale?)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I got it for like $10 a while back, so yeah - maybe like an end-of-summer blowout, or something. It was just on sale last week, too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Professor Latency posted:

Dude, even on-board audio these days is great. I'm sure it'll be perfect.

Sure if you like ground loops and badly isolated sound circuitry.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

AlternateAccount posted:

Sure if you like ground loops and badly isolated sound circuitry.

Check out the parts-picking thread if you don't believe him. There's not a single person in that thread who will recommend a dedicated sound card unless you have special needs.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
To be fair, audiophiles tend to be special needs people :downsrim:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dudebro posted:

To be fair, audiophiles tend to be special needs people :downsrim:

I like the audio from my x-fi titanium a lot more than onboard. Yeah I have to wear a helmet when I go out in public, so what?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i guarantee you that nice speakers will make a ton more difference than switching from onboard audio these days.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Check out the parts-picking thread if you don't believe him. There's not a single person in that thread who will recommend a dedicated sound card unless you have special needs.

FWIW, I went with on-board audio on my latest build based on the recommendation of the parts picking thread and it's fine. But it's just fine. Good enough for gaming, but as soon as you start listening to music through a good pair of headphones, you notice that it's not quite great. A sound card is now on my upgrade list.

On-board audio seems to be one of the most YMMV things in a build.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Dr_Fever posted:

FWIW, I went with on-board audio on my latest build based on the recommendation of the parts picking thread and it's fine. But it's just fine. Good enough for gaming, but as soon as you start listening to music through a good pair of headphones, you notice that it's not quite great. A sound card is now on my upgrade list.

Make sure your cables cost at least $100 per foot as well, and to get the best results they should have a core of solid gold and phoenix feather.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
About Metro 2033: If you find it for cheaper somewhere elsewhere than steam you can just punch the cd-key into steam and lock it into your account. Its one of those games.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tufty posted:

Make sure your cables cost at least $100 per foot as well, and to get the best results they should have a core of solid gold and phoenix feather.

Don't be a dumbass, onboard audio lacking the power to properly drive good headphones is a real thing.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Dr_Fever posted:

I actually did an experiment myself a while back. I used some headphones (a decent pair of Sennheisers) and listened to a few songs using both my motherboard's onboard Realtek audio and an old M-Audio Revolution dedicated sound card that I yanked out of an old build.

Couldn't tell the difference.

I'm not sure what you're expecting out of a dedicated sound card but most likely you're just blowing money on something that won't give you any improvement over what you already have.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Tufty posted:

I do apologize if my relatively harmless personal observation caused you some concern.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

K8.0 posted:

Don't be a dumbass, onboard audio lacking the power to properly drive good headphones is a real thing.

So why not just buy a headphone amp and be fine forever instead of a card that you'll install and then have to remove and hope you can install it again? If power is the only issue, that seems like a better solution.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
If you're looking for good sound, I recommend looking at these:

http://tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_audio_interfaces.htm

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Oh boy here we go.

Like what was already previously mentioned, unless you're some studio or audio engineer you really don't need anything more than onboard audio to appreciate good sound in games. Getting into amps or spending money on expensive cables or dedicated sound cards should be reserved for you audiophiles and not for people that just play games on their PC.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Amrosorma posted:

If you're looking for good sound, I recommend looking at these:

http://tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_audio_interfaces.htm

I hope you're posting this ironically because it's some of the more ridiculously spergy poo poo I've seen come from the audiophile crowd. Seriously some of those cost more than an entire gaming PC.

MrMidnight posted:

Oh boy here we go.

Like what was already previously mentioned, unless you're some studio or audio engineer you really don't need anything more than onboard audio to appreciate good sound in games. Getting into amps or spending money on expensive cables or dedicated sound cards should be reserved for you audiophiles and not for people that just play games on their PC.

Sadly, certain people into PC tech aren't known for their appreciation of value versus performance. These are the same people who will buy some ridiculous Core i7/SLI GTX 580 setup in order to "max out" PC games at 1080p.

Seriously, if you're in doubt about this sort of thing, go read/post in the Parts Picking thread and they'll knock some sense into you.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I hope you're posting this ironically because it's some of the more ridiculously spergy poo poo I've seen come from the audiophile crowd. Seriously some of those cost more than an entire gaming PC.

I'm not an audiophile, but I am a composer and musician. The bottom end audio interfaces are very good if someone feels their onboard sound is not enough :)

That site is not for "spergy audiophiles" unless you have a very low opinion of musicians, producers, and engineers.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I'm a radio producer, I have one of those ridiculously expensive audio interfaces, and I'm telling you there's almost no difference (unless your motherboard is a piece of junk).

Amrosorma posted:

I'm not an audiophile, but I am a composer and musician. The bottom end audio interfaces are very good if someone feels their onboard sound is not enough :)

That site is not for "spergy audiophiles" unless you have a very low opinion of musicians, producers, and engineers.

He means for gaming, this is the gaming thread. Audio interfaces are obviously better for sound input.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Amrosorma posted:

They're also at least $200, from what I can tell. And designed for home-studio musicians.

quote:

This is a gaming thread. Who ever started talking about musicians and producers?

E: The "spergy" part I was referring to was your promoting expensive audio equipment designed for musicians and producers to people who think their onboard audio isn't "enough," whatever that means. Not the site itself.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 15, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Here's what you need for gaming. Does it make a big boom? If so, congrats! It's good enough for gaming!

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
I hate to interrupt an audio derail, but I have a question.

Recalling my childhood love of flight sims, I bought Il-2 Strumovik when it was on sale a few days ago for $5. But, I don't have a flight stick. I was wondering if someone could recommend a guy a good flight stick for less than $50?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Here's what you need for gaming. Does it make a big boom? If so, congrats! It's good enough for gaming!

Indeed, I love my 0.1 speaker setup.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

I hate to interrupt an audio derail, but I have a question.

Recalling my childhood love of flight sims, I bought Il-2 Strumovik when it was on sale a few days ago for $5. But, I don't have a flight stick. I was wondering if someone could recommend a guy a good flight stick for less than $50?

Logitech 3d Extreme Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310751475&sr=8-1

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

I'm a radio producer, I have one of those ridiculously expensive audio interfaces, and I'm telling you there's almost no difference (unless your motherboard is a piece of junk).

He means for gaming, this is the gaming thread. Audio interfaces are obviously better for sound input.

Yeah, I see what y'all are saying now :shobon:

What are some good sticks that are above $50 but below $150?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Majesty 1 Gold, should I play everything through the expansion pack exe?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Red Baron posted:

So why not just buy a headphone amp and be fine forever instead of a card that you'll install and then have to remove and hope you can install it again? If power is the only issue, that seems like a better solution.

Because sound cards are internal rather than sitting on my desk and really aren't expensive, and will easily last you several computers. Why exactly would you want to use a discrete headphone amp?

MrMidnight posted:

Oh boy here we go.

I didn't say anything about the quality of onboard, I said the power output sucks. Good headphones are one of the best investments you can make as a gamer, and a lot of the best options are not going to work all that well with onboard sound.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've always used sound cards. Back before every mobo had 5.1 on it you just had to.

Since 2005 I've been using a Dolby encoder card to output my audio to a receiver with an optical cable. First I used a Turtle Beach Montego, and now I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

I know current video cards can do thus, but they didn't when I bought the X-Fi.

What is still unique about the X-Fi, as far as I know, is that the Alchemy software turns that 5.1 multichannel, 3 cable surround support from older games into encoded DD or DTS for my receiver.

Admittedly I haven't made extensive use of that feature, but it worked well when I did use it.

So even with 7.1 Multichannel, optical, and HDMI on my mobo, plus hdmi audio from my GPU, I'm still rocking a sound card.

Nuuds P00dle
Jun 28, 2011

smash em crash em bash em:shroom:
Can any of you gents recommended me a decent PC within the $400 range? I just got into PC gaming and need a good lead on what to get. Laptops actually

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Nuuds P00dle posted:

Can any of you gents recommended me a decent PC within the $400 range? I just got into PC gaming and need a good lead on what to get. Laptops actually

I could not recommend a laptop for PC gaming, and certainly not at $400.

I would recommend visiting SH/SC for advice though. They could probably get you into a decent desktop for gaming on $400 or so, but I would recommend saving a little bit more cash before starting a build.

I guess this depends heavily on what level of gaming you're after.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Nuuds P00dle posted:

Visit this thread. $400 won't get you much in the way of desktops, let alone laptops, however. For desktops, you're looking at maybe the $600 range for a budget gaming machine; for laptops, probably twice that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

K8.0 posted:

I didn't say anything about the quality of onboard, I said the power output sucks. Good headphones are one of the best investments you can make as a gamer, and a lot of the best options are not going to work all that well with onboard sound.

My AD-700's were plugged into my motherboard. You could hear a lot of scratches and pops, pretty bad things like that. I found my old 20$ soundcard and fixed everything. Granted this was a 4 year old computer, and maybe the most recent ones may not have this problem, but a quick :10bux::10bux: fixed that problem.

Re:Laptops- At any price range, you'll be shelling out tons of extra money for a laptop of similar power to a desktop. I tend to think of Laptop gaming as a luxury item, because a 1000$ laptop has a desktop equivalent which costs 600$. And the 600$ machine may do even more.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nuuds P00dle posted:

You will not get a good gaming laptop at practically any price. I hate gaming laptops.

• Locked thread