Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Leathal posted:

Google isn't helping me, so I figured I'd ask here.

Any other 3D owners having problems with notifications not working for some apps?

For me, Astrid and Google+ don't pop up any notifications, but once I actually open the app I'll get spammed with a bunch of notifications at once.

Gmail, Tweetdeck, and GReader all seem to be pushing out notifications correctly, but not having task reminders in particular is really annoying.

I don't have an answer, but I'm having the same trouble. My girlfriend's Nexus S gets G+ notifications while my 3D doesn't. I haven't noticed it happening consistently with any other applications; Facebook and both emails pop them up consistently. I've chalked up G+ issues to it still being young, but if other apps are doing it as well maybe there's a phone issue somewhere in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You have to configure the g+ notifications in the website settings to push to your phone.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Any one else think that the spiderman game is terrible?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
EVO 3D battery life is insanely good.

I'm at 22h 17m on battery with 2h 20m of screen on time with 43% left.

If the battery drain is linear that is something like 40 hours of battery life with 4 hours of screen on time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

You have to configure the g+ notifications in the website settings to push to your phone.

Seems kind of backwards that I have to add my number when I've got the app installed, but whatever. I'll see if this works.

e; VV I'm retarded,I thought the phone check boxes were just for SMS notifications. :downs: NOW I'll see if it works. e2; and it does. Imagine that.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 15, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You don't have to add your number, you have to select push notifications and check phone for all of them, assuming you want to be notified of all them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I currently have an EPRP Everything Plus 500 plan that is off contract, with upgrade eligibility. I'm thinking of changing it to a 1600min Family Plan with a total of 3 lines, moving my parents off of their AT&T plan. They would incur an ETF at this time, so my question is three-fold. Is Sprint doing a special where it covers the ETF, and even if they were, would they do it for an existing plan. Also, how does porting work when an ETF is involved?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

I currently have an EPRP Everything Plus 500 plan that is off contract, with upgrade eligibility. I'm thinking of changing it to a 1600min Family Plan with a total of 3 lines, moving my parents off of their AT&T plan. They would incur an ETF at this time, so my question is three-fold. Is Sprint doing a special where it covers the ETF, and even if they were, would they do it for an existing plan. Also, how does porting work when an ETF is involved?

Yes and yes. $50 portcredit per line if they get feature phones, $125 for smartphones. Bills to the account oon day 61. That simple.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Has anyone had any luck with a Sprint store matching prices on phones from Amazon? Or tossing some free accessories your way to make up for the price difference? We're able to get our upgrades tomorrow and the Evo and Evo 3D are both priced cheaper on Amazon than in store. Along with the savings and the bonus $15 credits thrown your way right now Amazon seems like the smarter option, but I'm also wondering how in store support is if you buy your phones elsewhere.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
This is My Next is reporting that the Samsung Galaxy S II / Galaxy Within has been spotted on Sprint.

I have 30 days to return my EVO 3D and exchange for another phone if I'm not satisfied, correct? If I were to return it and not exchange for anything, would my 2 year upgrade discount be reapplied to my account, or would I lose it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just got a (used) Evo 4G, and it didn't activate and now I'm stuck with two phones that can't make calls.

I did the automatic online thing, entered the HEX code right, and it stayed at the "activating your new phone" webpage for like five minutes, and it said if it didn't work in 30 seconds, to click, so I clicked, and now I get a page that says:

quote:

If you can't make calls or your phone was previously activated on our network and used by another customer, you will need to complete some additional steps. Open your new phone's programming instructions and follow the directions.
You may need to enter the following information in your new phone to complete the activation process:

6-digit programming code:

MDN (Phone Number):

555-555-5555

MSID(IMSI):

Print this info

If you are programming a used phone, look in the manual programming instructions for your steps. If you don't find the instructions to program a used phone, follow the steps below to clear or reset your phone to its factory settings. Important note: This will remove all personal information, including texts, pictures, contacts, applications, etc.

To program a used phone:

On the dial pad, press ##786 followed by an additional # symbol
Follow any on-screen prompts to Reset your phone
Enter the 6-digit code
Select Reset
Confirm any on-screen Reset to default messages
After the reset, press ## followed by the 6-digit code, followed by an additional # symbol (Example: ##123456#) Note: The last # entered will not show on the display

That method did not work...nothing happens when I dial "##786" and then another #. It seems to almost 'lock up' the dialer. I can't input any more numbers, it doesn't go to the "active call" screen, I can't do anything in the dialer, I can only exit it by pushing home.

Edit: Oh, wait, I think I got it...have to update profile in settings...

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 16, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes and yes. $50 portcredit per line if they get feature phones, $125 for smartphones. Bills to the account oon day 61. That simple.

Thanks for the info, I've never dealt with ETFs or porting before. Can AT&T hold their numbers hostage till they pay the ETF?

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 16, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, after 4 months of service all three of my phones are eligible for full upgrades. :psyduck:

Is there any place to get a arrive super cheap?

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

ratbert90 posted:

Huh, after 4 months of service all three of my phones are eligible for full upgrades. :psyduck:

Is there any place to get a arrive super cheap?

http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B004QO9SWM for $99.99

I totally didn't see that price till after I posted. :-/

Shed fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2011

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Saw this on cnet. Hopefully it's the sgs2 and it's coming out soon.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My EVO 3D is only hitting 12-14 hours of battery life on average. I'm not sure, but I think this happens because the wifi likes to stay on, even when the phone is off. Is there any way to have wifi turn off if the screen is off? I also seem to get huge dips in power specifically from talking; my apartment only gets 3-5 bars. Is there an app that can record all of the battery life recordings so I can analyze what it is causing me problems? Considering I didn't get the monthly insurance, I'd be sad if I somehow got a dud-ish battery.

For the most part I can get through the day just fine, but tonight I had to move my charger out of my bedroom because the phone was about to die after a good day of texting and calling.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveKap posted:

My EVO 3D is only hitting 12-14 hours of battery life on average. I'm not sure, but I think this happens because the wifi likes to stay on, even when the phone is off. Is there any way to have wifi turn off if the screen is off? I also seem to get huge dips in power specifically from talking; my apartment only gets 3-5 bars. Is there an app that can record all of the battery life recordings so I can analyze what it is causing me problems? Considering I didn't get the monthly insurance, I'd be sad if I somehow got a dud-ish battery.

For the most part I can get through the day just fine, but tonight I had to move my charger out of my bedroom because the phone was about to die after a good day of texting and calling.

I imagine this is one of those "Do this with Tasker" things - if you haven't picked it up, it's an amazing app, you can basically set rules for anything with your phone. If you're within x distance of so-and-so GPS point, do this (such as setting the wallpaper to something family-friendly if you're visiting your parents, or setting your phone to silent once you get into the parking lot at work, etc) and I imagine you can just say "dear phone; turn the loving wifi off when the screen goes off."

Additionally, there's a sort of wonky scale on battery usage among 3G and Wifi (4G treats your battery like Hitler treated Russian Jews) and it basically boils down to reception - If you have lovely 3G reception, then it will kill your battery faster than moderate wifi, and lovely wifi will kill your batter faster than good 3G. However, your phone (and my phone, and anyone else's phone) carries one hell of a torch for wifi in the sense that if it even gets the slightest whisper of a wifi signal then it will stay connected to that network, even as it's traipsing through your battery like General Sherman through Georgia, rails tied around trees and all.

This being said, I say "Tasker" to this, and then maybe evaluate what the wifi strength looks like in the areas you travel to. If your phone is set to connect to an open wifi spot, but then you go somewhere where the signal is faint as gently caress, it's going to murder your battery. On the contrary, a strong wifi signal (e.g. in your home with the usual caveats about construction) is way the gently caress more efficient than any 3G signal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Protip posted:

Has anyone had any luck with a Sprint store matching prices on phones from Amazon? Or tossing some free accessories your way to make up for the price difference? We're able to get our upgrades tomorrow and the Evo and Evo 3D are both priced cheaper on Amazon than in store. Along with the savings and the bonus $15 credits thrown your way right now Amazon seems like the smarter option, but I'm also wondering how in store support is if you buy your phones elsewhere.

Not gonna happen, they always out price us. I don't think corporate stores can flex prices at all. 3rd party can do a little bit but upgrades honestly just aren't worth our while to match pricewise.

For instance, the most i could offer is $20 off each phone, and a free accessory. And that's pushing it.

In store support is fine, especially after 30 days. Within 30 days you'll get a look and get told to call Amazon if the phone is having problems. For stuff like transferring contacts/pictures every Sprint store is REQUIRED to help you whether you bought the phone from them or not on that one. Most Sprint reps obviously just are not as enthusiastic.

My policy is "sure i will help you" but if i have a potential customer come up, my customers get priority. Just don't be obnoxious and don't be that guy that rubs it in that you got it cheaper elsewhere (always a sore subject) and you will be fine.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Appachai posted:

Saw this on cnet. Hopefully it's the sgs2 and it's coming out soon.

Must resist and wait for the Nexus 3.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not gonna happen, they always out price us. I don't think corporate stores can flex prices at all. 3rd party can do a little bit but upgrades honestly just aren't worth our while to match pricewise.

For instance, the most i could offer is $20 off each phone, and a free accessory. And that's pushing it.

In store support is fine, especially after 30 days. Within 30 days you'll get a look and get told to call Amazon if the phone is having problems. For stuff like transferring contacts/pictures every Sprint store is REQUIRED to help you whether you bought the phone from them or not on that one. Most Sprint reps obviously just are not as enthusiastic.

My policy is "sure i will help you" but if i have a potential customer come up, my customers get priority. Just don't be obnoxious and don't be that guy that rubs it in that you got it cheaper elsewhere (always a sore subject) and you will be fine.

Thanks for the response. If we could get $20 off each phone and a free accessory I think we'd be pretty happy. We'd of course much rather buy in store and be able to walk out with our phones today, but we want to be sure we get a decent deal as well. I'm always pretty nice when talking to sales reps as I've been one myself, and I find when you are nice people are willing to do more for you.

Of course I'm not even sure if we could order our upgrades through Amazon. The person I spoke to through retentions earlier in the week said she pushed our upgrade date from August 1st to the today, but when I checked our upgrade eligibility just now Amazon (and Sprint.com) both still said the 1st.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Can't wait to laugh at people who buy the Within at launch.

jakeledel
Jul 17, 2003

TheBlackMallard posted:

I feel the exact same way. People have been talking about how this phone will be better than the Evo 3D since before it came out. I just don't see it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
switching from verizon to go to sprint, we'll see how it pans out. I missing my opportunity to get grandfathered into the unlimited data plans from verizon, and they're really dicking me on the current choices. Seems like if Sprint pays for 125 bucks of service after transferring my number they'll essentially cover my etf.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TheBlackMallard posted:

I'll be one of those people. It can't be any worse than my Hero and I'll just return it after a few weeks if it sucks and get an Evo3D.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Protip posted:

Thanks for the response. If we could get $20 off each phone and a free accessory I think we'd be pretty happy. We'd of course much rather buy in store and be able to walk out with our phones today, but we want to be sure we get a decent deal as well. I'm always pretty nice when talking to sales reps as I've been one myself, and I find when you are nice people are willing to do more for you.

Of course I'm not even sure if we could order our upgrades through Amazon. The person I spoke to through retentions earlier in the week said she pushed our upgrade date from August 1st to the today, but when I checked our upgrade eligibility just now Amazon (and Sprint.com) both still said the 1st.

Yep, just be nice and people will hook you up, it does still depend on how aggressive the Sprint rep is, current numbers, etc. What's the status of the upgrade bump? If it is a "due August 1st" myself and Sprint stores cannot bump it until July 18th. If you need me to, feel free to PM, I am back in store July 19th. Sprint retentions (see OP for number) would likely bump it, their system takes 24 hours to process on that.

Definitely buy BEFORE July 24th, July 24th rebates come back, and my life gets worse. So not looking forward to rebates, they are just a nightmare. Exception is the 3D, any phone priced at $199 is still $199 out the door.

TheBlackMallard posted:

As much as I don't like Samsung I still WANT the phone to be good. It always sucks to have people buy a product and have it suck. Of course, that's why people should just buy HTC and be done with it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dphi posted:

It can't be any worse than my Hero
Oh yes it can. (Not saying that it is tough.)

dphi posted:

and I'll just return it after a few weeks if it sucks and get an Evo3D.
Be careful with that strategy. Samsung hardware has a tendency to leave good first impressions, and unless you use the poo poo out of it, the most offensive problems tend not to crop up until shortly after the exchange window is over.

Also a lot of Samsung problems are "little things" that should be fixed in the "upcoming update," so you stick with it thinking you won't wait long. Except the update takes six months to come out, doesn't actually fix the problem, and creates a whole bunch of new ones.

In short, if you're totally satisfied with the device at the end of your exchange window, and are willing to live with it for two years even without updates (or without installing them if they suck), then they can be quite nice devices.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheBlackMallard posted:

So you have to justify your own purchases by hoping other people who purchase something different end up with something bad? We all know about Samsung's issues and so on, but come on dude.

I mean as a Android fan the best thing that could happen is for Samsung to get their poo poo together and bring some of goodwill they have going with the European version. I am not saying they will, but even if I don't buy the SGSII I hope it turns out to be a smash success just like it has been in Europe. Right now only option has been HTC.

Now if you meant that people should wait and see (hence 'at launch') if Samsung has broken their North American curse I agree. No one should buy this blindly until we hear about some hands on with the phone and so on.

jakeledel posted:

I feel the exact same way. People have been talking about how this phone will be better than the Evo 3D since before it came out. I just don't see it.

It is mainly because a) some of us think the SGSII is cosmetically a better looking phone (plus thinner and lighter), b) some of us EVO owners want something that feels different than a EVO, and c) the European version of the SGSII has been one of the highest reviewed phones. Even sometime Apple loving Engadget give it a 9 out of 10. So you can understand why people have some hope and would want it over the EVO 3D.

My hope is Samsung keeps the same cosmetic design for the Nexus ICS. Add in the dual core 1.5GHZ and a Super AMOLED HD screen, and you should have a winner. gently caress that easily the best phone on the market and number 1 reason why I didn't upgrade this summer.

Duckman2008 posted:

As much as I don't like Samsung I still WANT the phone to be good. It always sucks to have people buy a product and have it suck. Of course, that's why people should just buy HTC and be done with it.

See that is my attitude, but some of us want something different than HTC and we don't have many options.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Also a lot of Samsung problems are "little things" that should be fixed in the "upcoming update," so you stick with it thinking you won't wait long. Except the update takes six months to come out, doesn't actually fix the problem, and creates a whole bunch of new ones.

Yes a fear of mine also and why the Nexus ICS would be the phone worth waiting on. That said HTC and Sprint sucked with updates for the Hero, but HTC has done a much better job with the EVO.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 16, 2011

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Finally got a working Evo 3D after a week without cell service and having them replace the phone 3 times.

Is the telenav GPS app any good or do most people just use google maps navigator?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

Finally got a working Evo 3D after a week without cell service and having them replace the phone 3 times.

Is the telenav GPS app any good or do most people just use google maps navigator?

It actually is good but I still always use Google Maps. No wrong option though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

blargle posted:

I use it, but I also used it all the time on my Pre. I prefer my old physical TomTom unit though, but that's mostly because the TeleNav loses the GPS signal sometimes, which can cause me to miss a turn or an exit.

mechelaar
Sep 11, 2001
So my girlfriend got her phone stolen. She is currently on an EPRP plan. Unfortunately this makes her unable to get an affordable phone through a third party dealer (Radioshack, Amazon, etc.) Would it be worth it for her to move to a regular plan? She would be able to get 10% off with an MVP discount.

Basically she would be paying an extra $3 bucks a month to pay $70 less for a phone. It looks like she would also get an extra 250 minutes a month with the current promotion. Would she be losing anything critical by leaving the EPRP plan? The discount is not enough to actually be saving her any money given the phone upgrade restrictions.

mechelaar fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 16, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So is it generally considered that the SGS2 is the really-I-swear-I've-changed-no-not-like-the-last-two-times-I-really-mean-it-this-time phone from Samsung?

The Epic still has orientation sensor issues that require root to fix. It takes 5-10 seconds to switch between horizontal and vertical, from the home screen, browser, whatever. That phone was, surprise surprise, considered a new leaf being turned over too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mechelaar posted:

So my girlfriend got her phone stolen. She is currently on an EPRP plan. Unfortunately this makes her unable to get an affordable phone through a third party dealer (Radioshack, Amazon, etc.) Would it be worth it for her to move to a regular plan? She would be able to get 10% off with an MVP discount.

Basically she would be paying an extra $3 bucks a month to pay $70 less for a phone. It looks like she would also get an extra 250 minutes a month with the current promotion. Would she be losing anything critical by leaving the EPRP plan? The discount is not enough to actually be saving her any money given the phone upgrade restrictions.

Need more info:
What phone is she looking for?
Is she eligible for a full upgrade (I assume so, but always good to check)?

The Entire Universe posted:

So is it generally considered that the SGS2 is the really-I-swear-I've-changed-no-not-like-the-last-two-times-I-really-mean-it-this-time phone from Samsung?

The Epic still has orientation sensor issues that require root to fix. It takes 5-10 seconds to switch between horizontal and vertical, from the home screen, browser, whatever. That phone was, surprise surprise, considered a new leaf being turned over too.

ExcessBlarg has a great rant that goes into detail on it somewhere in these forums. But in a nutshell, his point is that yes the Samsung Galaxy S II seems to be a great phone in Europe right now. However, Samsung has had major fuckups translating GSM phones to CDMA networks, so the jury is still out on whether the "turn a new leaf" Samsung phone on Sprint. No way to know until 30-60 days after it launches to the public really.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Entire Universe posted:

No its not. It is more like lets see what happens good or bad when they release their most popular phone so far in the states. Will they gently caress it up? Well history is against them, but I hope they don't. If the SGS2 was a HTC phone I would be the first one in line. It is how I want my next phone to look and feel, just don't trust Samsung. So I will wait and see. If it goes great that will make me even more excited about the Nexus ICS.

mechelaar
Sep 11, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Need more info:
What phone is she looking for?
Is she eligible for a full upgrade (I assume so, but always good to check)?

She eligible for a full upgrade and is looking at the Evo 4G. The phone is $100 through Sprint (not worth it), $30 through Radio Shack (seems like a better deal than the Optimus for free). She is on the 59.99 EPRP plan. If she switches to the 69.99 consumer plan she can get 10%-15% off from MVP discount (credit union or school). That would come to around $59 to $63. She should also be able to get the 300 minute upgrade for the 450 plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mechelaar posted:

She eligible for a full upgrade and is looking at the Evo 4G. The phone is $100 through Sprint (not worth it), $30 through Radio Shack (seems like a better deal than the Optimus for free). She is on the 59.99 EPRP plan. If she switches to the 69.99 consumer plan she can get 10%-15% off from MVP discount (credit union or school). That would come to around $59 to $63. She should also be able to get the 300 minute upgrade for the 450 plan.

Steps:

-Switch to a regular Sprint plan with the 10% credit union discount
-Buy the phone from Radioshack. The credit union discount waives $18 upgrade fees
-Wait 1 month. Stop by a Sprint store something after that with her ID and change it to the 15% discount
-Have your cake and eat it to.

Just remember, once you leave EPRP you can't go back.

mechelaar
Sep 11, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Steps:

-Switch to a regular Sprint plan with the 10% credit union discount
-Buy the phone from Radioshack. The credit union discount waives $18 upgrade fees
-Wait 1 month. Stop by a Sprint store something after that with her ID and change it to the 15% discount
-Have your cake and eat it to.

Just remember, once you leave EPRP you can't go back.

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure she wouldn't be losing anything critical by giving up EPRP.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Does anyone else have a weird problem (EVO 3D) where text messages show up out of order on their phone? I'll get a couple of texts from a friend, send one back, and then I'll get a couple more and they'll be listed as coming before the one I sent to my friend. Sometimes I'll send 2 and then the next text from my friend will be in between the 2 I just sent. What's up with this? Never had it happen on AT&T.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

DaveKap posted:

Does anyone else have a weird problem (EVO 3D) where text messages show up out of order on their phone? I'll get a couple of texts from a friend, send one back, and then I'll get a couple more and they'll be listed as coming before the one I sent to my friend. Sometimes I'll send 2 and then the next text from my friend will be in between the 2 I just sent. What's up with this? Never had it happen on AT&T.

Yeah, same thing happens to me on my 3D as well. Wasn't sure if this was a Sprint thing or an Evo3D thing.

Edit: My Seido Active case came in today. I'm really liking this case. It feels very sturdy and protective without adding too much bulk. The rubber edges seem to pick up pocket lint a lot though, hopefully that will stop with use.

Thanks to whoever recommended it!

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I'm buying an Evo View from Chappy. Are all of Sprint's tablet plans a mandatory 2-year contract, even with your own equipment?