Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You will not get a good gaming laptop at practically any price. I hate gaming laptops.

While it's true that a $1,000 desktop could beat the pants off of a $1,000 laptop in terms of gaming performance, laptops are getting increasingly better as time goes on. My next PC is going to be a mid-size laptop (14"-15") with a really good graphics chipset and an HDMI port. This way, I can hook up my PC to a big-screen TV and have a nice setup for gaming, but when I want to take it with me, I just unplug a few cables and go. Best of both worlds.

As it is with computers though, the longer you hold out, the better one you'll get. My desktop here has another good year left in it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
You people have terrible hearing if you think on-board sound is anywhere close to a dedicated sound card.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Amrosorma posted:

What are some good sticks that are above $50 but below $150?

That is kind of a weird range for flight sticks. The 3D Extreme Pro I would actually put above most sticks in that price range, honestly... but if you don't mind a stick with a really big throw and fairly loose springs, the Saitek x52 and x52 Pro are around that price range, depending on where you find them. However, quality on those HOTAS systems is hit and miss. You may encounter spikey inputs on some of the axes and such, which is annoying as hell. I have a Pro, and while I like the design, I have to account for spiking around the center of the twist, different areas of the throttle, and ALL of the dials.

Above the $150 is where you can get some quality devices like Logitech's G940 which is force feedback, but I wasn't all that thrilled with it (and it's a big chunk of change). And of course, Thrustmaster makes the Warthog which is supposed to be awesome but is EXTREMELY expensive.

So yeah... if you don't have anything, spend $30 on a 3D Extreme Pro, unless you absolutely need a throttle and/or foot pedals. And if you can find a deal on them, get an x52 or a pro... just make sure they have a return policy.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Essobie posted:

That is kind of a weird range for flight sticks. The 3D Extreme Pro I would actually put above most sticks in that price range, honestly... but if you don't mind a stick with a really big throw and fairly loose springs, the Saitek x52 and x52 Pro are around that price range, depending on where you find them. However, quality on those HOTAS systems is hit and miss. You may encounter spikey inputs on some of the axes and such, which is annoying as hell. I have a Pro, and while I like the design, I have to account for spiking around the center of the twist, different areas of the throttle, and ALL of the dials.

Above the $150 is where you can get some quality devices like Logitech's G940 which is force feedback, but I wasn't all that thrilled with it (and it's a big chunk of change). And of course, Thrustmaster makes the Warthog which is supposed to be awesome but is EXTREMELY expensive.

So yeah... if you don't have anything, spend $30 on a 3D Extreme Pro, unless you absolutely need a throttle and/or foot pedals. And if you can find a deal on them, get an x52 or a pro... just make sure they have a return policy.

Thanks; that just saved me a whole bunch of money!

Is your title from Discworld? :allears:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Charles Martel posted:

While it's true that a $1,000 desktop could beat the pants off of a $1,000 laptop in terms of gaming performance, laptops are getting increasingly better as time goes on.

While laptop hardware is increasingly getting better over time, you're still paying quite a premium over desktop hardware. The minimum you want for 1080p gaming is a Radeon 6850M/NVidia GTX 560M, and laptops with either of those and a 1080p screen start at around $1500. Compare that to maybe $800 for a similarly specced desktop + 1080p monitor, and $900-$1000 for a desktop that could run circles around that hardware + monitor. (Those mobile GPUs are just mobile versions of the Radeon 5770 and GTX 550 TI, respectively, which are "bare-bones" 1080p desktop GPUs at best.)

And then you have the other inherent problems of a laptop to deal with: Excessive heat, a lack of upgradability, noise, and the fact that if one component fails, you need to send the entire shebang in to be fixed.

In short: Gaming laptops are great if you travel around a lot, but a poor value otherwise.

kuddles posted:

You people have terrible hearing if you think on-board sound is anywhere close to a dedicated sound card.

Point is, onboard audio is enough for most people. Just like, say, SLI'd GTX 580s are objectively better than a GTX 560 TI, but the latter is enough for most people.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Devil Wears Wings posted:

While laptop hardware is increasingly getting better over time, you're still paying quite a premium over desktop hardware. The minimum you want for 1080p gaming is a Radeon 6850M/NVidia GTX 560M, and laptops with either of those and a 1080p screen start at around $1500. Compare that to maybe $800 for a similarly specced desktop + 1080p monitor, and $900-$1000 for a desktop that could run circles around that hardware + monitor. (Those mobile GPUs are just mobile versions of the Radeon 5770 and GTX 550 TI, respectively, which are "bare-bones" 1080p desktop GPUs at best.)

And then you have the other inherent problems of a laptop to deal with: Excessive heat, a lack of upgradability, noise, and the fact that if one component fails, you need to send the entire shebang in to be fixed.

In short: Gaming laptops are great if you travel around a lot, but a poor value otherwise.

Point is, onboard audio is enough for most people. Just like, say, SLI'd GTX 580s are objectively better than a GTX 560 TI, but the latter is enough for most people.

I really can't wait until they start putting really beefy GPUs in these things:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4474/sony-updates-vaio-z-thinner-lighter-light-peak-and-external-gpu

That's like my dream machine; a thin/light laptop with a powerful CPU/tons of RAM and awesome battery life that I can use while traveling and then I pop out an XGPU thinger to play Battlefield 5 in my hotel room :swoon:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Bingo. Are dedicated sound cards and the like better? Yeah. Are they a good quality increase for the money spent for most people? Not at all.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
For the price of a gaming laptop you can buy a better gaming desktop and get a cheap laptop for school/travelling/whatever. I bought an open box HP 4420s for $400 from eBay and it's awesome for everything except the latest games, for which I have an awesome desktop that cost me less than $900

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Amrosorma posted:

Thanks; that just saved me a whole bunch of money!

Is your title from Discworld? :allears:

No problem. For other reviews of flight sticks, check out our Flight Sim Thread and I am pretty sure there are a few in the IL2 Thread.

And the titles is just made up. Friends and coworkers like to joke that I'm very loud when I talk. It isn't that I'm loud, it's that I "project" better than most people. They are just jealous.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

For the price of a gaming laptop you can buy a better gaming desktop and get a cheap laptop for school/travelling/whatever. I bought an open box HP 4420s for $400 from eBay and it's awesome for everything except the latest games, for which I have an awesome desktop that cost me less than $900

This is usually what I recommend to people looking for a gaming laptop who aren't traveling around a lot/in the military. A netbook with AMD's E-350 "APU" ($400 if you get a good deal) and a $800 desktop will set you back less than one of those $1500 gaming laptops, and you get basically the best of both worlds: A nice big beefy desktop for gaming and a slim, light, quiet, low-power notebook for taking notes in class or whatever. And that netbook can actually handle games up to circa-2007 on low settings, and maybe 2003 on high, if you still want to get your gaming jollies a bit on the go.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

kuddles posted:

That's not really true, and I've been switching between the two for years. Onboard sound has gotten a lot better, and dedicated sound cards have only gotten worse in terms of driver support and compatibility. The only reason I use one sometimes is because onboard chips still can't handle low-latency inputs very well.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

No, it's more like 30 FPS is enough for most people. Seriously, sites like HardOCP and Techreport do blind tests all the time and on-board audio always is chosen as the worst even by random people who don't consider themselves audiophiles at all.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

kuddles posted:

No, it's more like 30 FPS is enough for most people. Seriously, sites like HardOCP and Techreport do blind tests all the time and on-board audio always is chosen as the worst even by random people who don't consider themselves audiophiles at all.

Could you please link a recent one? A cursory Google search just brings up an old TechReport article from 2003.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

This has been the correct combo for a couple years now. Desktop + Netbook. Soon it will probably be desktop + tablet, at least for me.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

kuddles posted:

But for most people, the limiting factor on audio quality is the speaker system. In a blind test, they're not gonna be using the $12 speakers that you got out of clearance at Best Buy that one time. I understand that a sound card may enhance the experience, but you're gonna get a lot more improvement with a solid pair of speakers. Maybe then you can think about a sound card, if you're still unsatisfied.

And the ultimate truth is: most people couldn't give two fucks. I can hear gunfire and yelling. Good enough.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
For when Garshasp just isn't enough.

http://kotaku.com/5820768/this-historical-first+person-shooter-is-an-iranian-national-treasure

It's an Iranian-historical-FPS, made by a team of twenty. There's a youtube video if you follow the link.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 15, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

kuddles posted:

The average consumer isn't going to care whether they get an onboard or external card. Personally, I think that they're a waste like those "Killer NIC" things.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Charles Martel posted:

As it is with computers though, the longer you hold out, the better one you'll get. My desktop here has another good year left in it at least.

Isn't it the case that if your PC can handle games right now, you're fine until the next generation of consoles come out? I mean obviously you can't expect to max out every new games visuals, but you'll be able to play them.

I'm hoping my quad core, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 will last me until then at least. :ohdear:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mr Right posted:

Isn't it the case that if your PC can handle games right now, you're fine until the next generation of consoles come out? I mean obviously you can't expect to max out every new games visuals, but you'll be able to play them.

I'm hoping my quad core, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 will last me until then at least. :ohdear:

For the most part, yeah. Games like Assassin's Creed 2 will pretty much look and run the same on an $800 PC as they will on a $2,000 PC right now, but when you start getting into games like The Witcher 2 or Metro 2033 having a nice PC makes a big difference. Then you have poorly optimized games like GTA 4, resource-intensive PS2/Gamecube/Wii emulation, and games like Battlefield 3 on the horizon.

There's plenty of great reasons to upgrade your PC if those things interest you, but there isn't any real urgency to it.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone heard tried to tape mod to overclock a locked mobo from a big name company? How easy was it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The.GreyWolf posted:

The average consumer isn't going to care whether they get an onboard or external card. Personally, I think that they're a waste like those "Killer NIC" things.

Just because it's not been posted in a while:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kinda don't get all this "audiophiles are spergs lol" when people routinely recommend $150-200+ headphones in this thread that probably cost more than a basic sound card

and this is from someone who doesn't even think sound cards are that necessary

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I kinda don't get all this "audiophiles are spergs lol" when people routinely recommend $150-200+ headphones in this thread that probably cost more than a basic sound card

and this is from someone who doesn't even think sound cards are that necessary

While the $150-200 range is excessive IMO, it's much easier to tell the difference between good and bad headphones and no matter how good your output is, it doesn't matter if your speakers/headphones can't play that output well. Bad headphones will literally not play certain sound ranges, specifically the upper and lower ends. I borrowed a friends iPod earbuds once, and bass drums that sounded full and thumpy on my ~$25 Sennheiser earbuds barely sounded like someone smacking the ground on the iPod ones.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 15, 2011

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

While the $150-200 range is excessive IMO, it's much easier to tell the difference between good and bad headphones and no matter how good your output is, it doesn't matter if your speakers headphones can't play that output well.

Yeah, I think a $100-$150 sound card makes every bit as much sense as a $200 set of headphones. And by that I mean that you don't need either of them, but they're nice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A good pair of floor speakers will cost about 250 €, minimum. Since building a good-sounding big-rear end speaker is a lot easier than building a good-sounding set of itty-bitty little headphones, it's a wonder they don't cost a lot more.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Where has anybody recommended $150-$200 headphones? Discussion has usually been about $100 or under cans like the AD700, HD555, and HD280.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

If you're going to buy a sound card you might as well go all out and buy nice studio monitors, because (almost) nothing else will be able to output what this expensive sound card can.

Also, arguing about this is analogous to flac debate.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Just because it's not been posted in a while:

Now someone post the creative bar graph picture.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Now someone post the creative bar graph picture.

I swear I can hear the difference!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Gunslinger posted:

I swear I can hear the difference!

Hahaha what kind of bullshit is this

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
What, you guys don't measure your *experience* levels and plot them on a bar graph?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
With my new sound card, the audio is higher resolution than it was in the studio thanks to bits

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Your sound card isn't able to also routinely give you fidelity greater to that than actually being in the studio? Even after the source has been compressed in a lossy format?

What is the gaming thoughts on USB headsets? A long while back I couldn't stand them, but they really started growing on me. Is there a drawback I am not aware of?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

With my new sound card, the audio is higher resolution than it was in the studio thanks to bits

Heh, new music studio huh? Doesn't sound too bad. You know what else is too bad? That your eardrums won't dance to the blissful harmony that is THE X-FI EXPERIENCE. *points to bar graph* :smug:

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

I hope you're posting this ironically because it's some of the more ridiculously spergy poo poo I've seen come from the audiophile crowd. Seriously some of those cost more than an entire gaming PC.

Sadly, certain people into PC tech aren't known for their appreciation of value versus performance. These are the same people who will buy some ridiculous Core i7/SLI GTX 580 setup in order to "max out" PC games at 1080p.

Seriously, if you're in doubt about this sort of thing, go read/post in the Parts Picking thread and they'll knock some sense into you.

Whenever I see people from other PC tech forums building gaming PCs with Asus ROG motherboards, ultra-high end DDR2133 and 650W+ PSUs only to pair up with a midrange video card I die a bit inside.

And these are probably the same people that complain about why PC gaming is so expensive.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Regarding onboard audio, it is fine for non-gaming casual use, because that's when Realtek's feces isn't crashing, killing performance or simply bluescreening with games. Which happens to be what Creative Labs cards have done since forever because they really have a monopoly on gaming add-in sound-cards and can afford to be lazy.

Ask someone who was lucky enough to have a real Nvidia Soundstorm board about the difference between that one and Realtek/Creative Labs hardware. Even if you're not an audiofag I recommend a cheap non-poo poo card that works with games, cheapest solution is a used M-Audio Delta PCI, from 40€ and up, the only drawback is that it has RCA and coax digital input and outputs only, but it runs everything, even old ancient poo poo, and doesn't ask that much of a price for the kind of converter circuits and amps that Creative Labs hypes to high heaven and even higher prices.

Got stability issues with games?
Everything about your computer seems fine, even the PSU and Windows install?
Got Realtek audio?
Well there's your problem!

e: Wow, forgot VIA hardware was still used in PCs.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My integrated audio is VIA, not RealTek. Problem solved.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Lockback posted:

What is the gaming thoughts on USB headsets? A long while back I couldn't stand them, but they really started growing on me. Is there a drawback I am not aware of?
They sound like headphones a fourth of the price, they're often pretty plastic-y and prone to breaking in ways that can't be easily repaired (unlike similar-priced headphones), and if the mic breaks you're hosed. I guess they could be useful if you used a console too, but if you're just doing PC stuff some good headphones and a Logitech USB desktop mic are always better options. Unless you just want some $20-$30 cheap headset, in which case you pretty much get what you pay for.

e: and yeah, I wouldn't say a sound card is a terrible idea just based on the fact that realtek drivers can be really awful. The lowest-end Xonar is what, like $25? I use mine to drive a sub and headphones at the same time too, which is kinda neat.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got this soundcard as a gift awhile back and half the poo poo that they say I get in their instruction booklet and control panel doesn't make any loving sense. Seriously, why do they need all this jargon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
My kb has USB audio, definately sounds way better than onboard.

• Locked thread