Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I've never heard any of her stuff. Is she unfunny in a Norm McDonald kind of way, where the joke is only unfunny if you're not listening or if you're expecting some sort of "Git 'r done!" at the end, or is she just genuinely boring and unfunny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I don't really remember - this was at the live Comedy Bang Bang show, where a bunch of comedians come up for 15 minutes or so over two hours. She kind of blended it with everyone else, but I remember her seeming sour and annoyed that the audience wasn't responding the way she wanted.

It wasn't a great show overall, though, and the crowd was weird, so I'm willing to give her another shot.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I've never heard any of her stuff. Is she unfunny in a Norm McDonald kind of way, where the joke is only unfunny if you're not listening or if you're expecting some sort of "Git 'r done!" at the end, or is she just genuinely boring and unfunny?

It's a lot like her podcast persona, her humor is really dry and she's got an "alternative comedy" style.

Here's one of my favorite bits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beO_bXTXsJc
She does great impressions too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZDmnXYo_8

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

SpacePig posted:

Her act is the "emperor's new clothes" of comedy. There's nothing funny there.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Tig was really funny on the Sarah Silverman Program.

But I agree about the latest Doug Loves Movies appearance, it felt boring and I actually zoned out.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The latest episode of BJ Shea's Geek Nation is up! Episode 5 for those counting!

http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/BJ+Shea+Geek+Nation

The full episode is available as the first link. The next four links below it are the show segments broken up, for easier consumption!

We cover some movie news, games being released soon, and comic books as well!

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011
Does anybody happen to know what that song playing during the first episode of This American Wife is?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

-Atom- posted:

Tig was really funny on the Sarah Silverman Program.

But I agree about the latest Doug Loves Movies appearance, it felt boring and I actually zoned out.

I dig Tig but she was pretty flat on DLM, yea. I think the problem was she was surrounded by people the opposite of her, so it really highlighted the dryness of her humor and made her feel dull.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shotgunbadger posted:

I think the problem was she was surrounded by people the opposite of her

comedians?

:downsrim:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Do people really not like Tig this much? I have found her funny every time I have heard her. Good One Robot is also the best.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

The_Rob posted:

Do people really not like Tig this much? I have found her funny every time I have heard her. Good One Robot is also the best.
If good one robot is the best she has to offer, that's a pretty weak repertoire. It's better than disassembling other comedian's jokes to the point that she sucks the funny out of them, but that's not saying a whole lot.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The_Rob posted:

Maybe some people just find awkward silences funnier than other people do. The painfully unfunny becomes funny because it's uncomfortable. For example, I recently watched that Zack Galfinakis special but had to turn it off because it seemed like one endless awkward bit where the only punchline was making some old dude in the front row feel uncomfortable. I find the uncomfortable to be uncomfortable rather than humorous when it's not particularly thought provoking. Perhaps someone that enjoys that kind of humor can do a better job of analyzing than I can.

I love Norm McDonald's humor and I don't equate the styles.

Civil posted:

If good one robot is the best she has to offer, that's a pretty weak repertoire. It's better than disassembling other comedian's jokes to the point that she sucks the funny out of them, but that's not saying a whole lot.

I don't even think it's hers. Didn't Hot Saucerman coin that one during an old CDR in response to her saying "good one" in her normal tone?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 15, 2011

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Derailing is ok in small amounts. Scott usually does it to some extent when Andy Daly is on and it's usually pretty funny. But to me using it as your chief gimmick, especially in a show centered around improv like CBB, it gets kind of old. She's basically a giant "no, but" with rarely anything else to add to the bit.

She does have some ok bits and jokes of her own, though.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

The_Rob posted:

I'd actually like a legit breakdown why people so violently suck off Norm but apparently Tig is literally the worst thing.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

I'd actually like a legit breakdown why people so violently suck off Norm but apparently Tig is literally the worst thing.

I think I'm on the exact same page as notwearingpants, as I hate Tig and love Norm. I also don't care for Zach.

Norm does not try to disarm other people's jokes. His humor isn't flat. He has a few zany go-to bits (crack whore) that he likes to use, but he has excellent timing and is fast on his feet. Check youtube for impressions of Bob Dole, Larry King, or Bert Reynolds, or find the clip of him on Conan where he's discussing a Carrot Top movie called "Chairman of the Board". Norm can kill when he's on his game.

I've never seen Tig deliver anything near this level of funny. Or any at all. I get that she might have a target audience, but it's not even on a high intellectual level.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

shotgunbadger posted:

I really think it's because Norm still keeps this wink wink this a joke thing. Which isn't bad it is just his comedic style. While Tig plays it pretty straight and doesn't let up.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

shotgunbadger posted:

Because Tig and Norm MacDonald are the same exact people you see.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

-Atom- posted:

Because Tig and Norm MacDonald are the same exact people you see.

GOOD ONE

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Civil posted:

I think I'm on the exact same page as notwearingpants, as I hate Tig and love Norm. I also don't care for Zach.

Norm does not try to disarm other people's jokes. His humor isn't flat. He has a few zany go-to bits (crack whore) that he likes to use, but he has excellent timing and is fast on his feet. Check youtube for impressions of Bob Dole, Larry King, or Bert Reynolds, or find the clip of him on Conan where he's discussing a Carrot Top movie called "Chairman of the Board". Norm can kill when he's on his game.

I've never seen Tig deliver anything near this level of funny. Or any at all. I get that she might have a target audience, but it's not even on a high intellectual level.

Alright I can see the logic in this. Personally I like both but don't really adore either one to a super degree, so it just seemed odd to me how there was such a gap.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Civil posted:

Norm... has excellent timing.

Norm doesn't have timing, he doesn't have a cadence, I don't even think he knows when he's going to say the punchline. That's part of what makes the payoffs for his jokes so great.

Seriously, watch his last special and come back and tell me there's any kind of even semi-consciousness to that timing.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

-Atom- posted:

Nia getting more airtime on the Monday Morning Podcast is something I'm very pleased with.

Wow I had no idea Nia was black. This is her in the middle apparently

Agreein' wit dis and also adding my suprise that Nia is black but not because I found out on the internet or something, I was just listening to the podcast today and had never heard her talk as much as she did on this episode so about halfway through I was like "whoa I think she's black. go 'head Bill" and then here this picture is

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Did anybody figure out who the celebrity was in Callen's story on Rogan's podcast?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Don't worry, man, we're not alone. I just tend to not listen to podcasts I don't like, rather than whining and whining and whining and whining about them every single goddamned time they come out.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

WoG posted:

Don't worry, man, we're not alone. I just tend to not listen to podcasts I don't like, rather than whining and whining and whining and whining about them every single goddamned time they come out.

Tig is awful and it's shocking that she's so well liked by real comedians. She's the opposite of humor. She is a comedy vampire who sucks the funny out of those around her until they are sad and grey and dead.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

King Lou posted:

I just posted some older episodes of Lou Reads Podcast in YouTube form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_s9Tv8z9U <- Lou Reads from the Beast Forum :nms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTvLyCGMSnE <- Lou Reads from the PeeSearch Forums :nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYqJpQAJTA8 <- Lou Reads Salvia Trip Reports

I honestly sat in my chair gagging during the reading of the prolapse thread.

I also like imagining that people are searching YouTube for advice on how to use their Mac and decide to click through to your channel and get to experience the wonders of the PeeSearch forums.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

t3ch3 posted:

I honestly sat in my chair gagging during the reading of the prolapse thread.

I also like imagining that people are searching YouTube for advice on how to use their Mac and decide to click through to your channel and get to experience the wonders of the PeeSearch forums.

So I can't interest you in putting a penis pump on your rear end in a top hat, then? Thats a shame...
I had actually forgotten about how awful that one was. Ah, memories...

New episode of Lou Reads is up.

http://loureads.com/2011/07/15/lou-reads-tales-of-best-and-worst-break-ups/

New music and other stuff...

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soru posted:

Tig is awful and it's shocking that she's so well liked by real comedians. She's the opposite of humor. She is a comedy vampire who sucks the funny out of those around her until they are sad and grey and dead.

Isn't that what people who do anti comedy are supposed to do? Maybe all of the comedians who like her know something you don't.

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.
I think Tig's standup is pretty awesome, sometimes even brilliant, but she's not really dazzling on PBO or as a podcast guest.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

The_Rob posted:

Isn't that what people who do anti comedy are supposed to do? Maybe all of the comedians who like her know something you don't.

I think that's why she's frustrating for a lot of people, and why said people keep giving it one more chance to see what all the fuss is about. Various comedians say that 10 people are hilarious. Everyone agrees on 9 of them, or at least understand that, "Maybe I don't personally like numbers 3 or 7, but I can understand why others would find that style funny." It's only with number Tig that so many of us are scratching our heads and saying, "I just don't get it, but maybe she's some sort of Andy Kaufman genius and I just haven't deciphered it yet, so I'll keep listening as long as I can stand it as she shows up on yet another otherwise funny podcast." I've heard that damned Taylor Dayne routine performed in a dozen different variations, and as sort of her classic, signature bit, I can't understand why any of it is funny or even entertaining.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I was listening to one of the earlier eps of We Hate Movies when they plugged another bad movie podcast, Proudly Resents.

I've listened to 2 eps so far and its pretty good, sort of like a West Coast (yo) version of The Flop House. I'm just listening to the episode with Al Madrigal and some guy who was in some Uwe Boll movies.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Anyone remember an episode of The Best Show where Scharpling ranted about the musical/movie Rent? Added difficulty, might not have been The Best Show, but I'm pretty sure it was him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Maarak posted:

Anyone remember an episode of The Best Show where Scharpling ranted about the musical/movie Rent? Added difficulty, might not have been The Best Show, but I'm pretty sure it was him.

I feel like I need to hear this.

I've been listening to a lot of his past shows lately, and the show he did before he took his recent 6 week hiatus was one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

fake edit: September 7th, 2010. He is so goddamn funny when he's miserable. His comeback show had his best Spike hang up.

"Schaaaaaarpli-"
"WFMU you're on the air."

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Maarak posted:

Might it have been an 'A bit of a chat' with Scharpling?

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

soru posted:

I felt the same way about her. It's like having a real-life Daria sitting in the room being dismissive and smug while everyone else is trying to be funny. And I wouldn't mind that so much were it not for the fact that people like Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins seem to like her so much. I have to sit there thinking, "PFT is an extremely clever, funny guy and he loves her.. but she's unpleasant and not funny.. but she must be if he likes her.. but.."

On the plus side, it makes PFT's appreciation of Jen Kirkman seem less baffling in comparison.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

xdrquinnx posted:

On the plus side, it makes PFT's appreciation of Jen Kirkman seem less baffling in comparison.

There are people who don't like Jen Kirkman?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

xdrquinnx posted:

I felt the same way about her. It's like having a real-life Daria sitting in the room being dismissive and smug while everyone else is trying to be funny. And I wouldn't mind that so much were it not for the fact that people like Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins seem to like her so much. I have to sit there thinking, "PFT is an extremely clever, funny guy and he loves her.. but she's unpleasant and not funny.. but she must be if he likes her.. but.."

Hey guys. Seriously. We get it. Your disapproval has been thoroughly noted.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Maarak posted:

I've seen a few people wish that her calls weren't on the Tompkast. They are mega wrong though :colbert:

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I like Tig. But it's also cool if people don't like the things I like and like other things instead. I think it's a good way to be. Or does that just make me someone who's to afraid to pick a side?

On a side note. I finally got caught up on my podcasts (I have dial-up so I have to go somewhere to download them) the live MBMBAM was awesome (although the sound could've used some work) once I got used to it was great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groucho Marxist posted:

I've seen a few people wish that her calls weren't on the Tompkast. They are mega wrong though :colbert:

According to twitter (as if anyone on here isn't following PFT and Kirkman) she's found a copy of her cornflakes commercial that she talked about a couple of months back. Apparently a concerted effort is being made to transfer it to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
e: ^^^^^didn't see this before I posted. Nice!^^^^^

Maarak posted:

I, for one, love Jen Kirkman. She can go a little crazy on the Twitter sometimes though.

• Locked thread