Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I could not stop laughing at the IMDB official synopsis for Cool as Ice. Something about the syntax just cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

bigmcgaffney posted:

I could not stop laughing at the IMDB official synopsis for Cool as Ice. Something about the syntax just cracks me up.

Budget: $6,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $638,625 (USA) (20 October 1991) (393 Screens)
Gross: $1,193,062 (USA)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Props to Jay Dub for the Sword in the Stone reference in the Harry Potter review.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good news for Jay Dub: Zookeeper has only made $47 million worldwide so far, a far cry from its $80 million budget.

My faith in humanity would be restored if the Smurfs movie wasn't guaranteed to make money hand over fist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Y-Hat posted:

My faith in humanity would be restored if the Smurfs movie wasn't guaranteed to make money hand over fist.

I didn't realize there was a Smurfs movie until I saw Smurfs movie brand serial at the store the other day.

Still, there's no reason to get too upset. Who knows, the movie could be good.

The GTA3 guy
Feb 24, 2005
gahooga
Holy Rollers was released over a year ago, why'd you guys wait so long to review it?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

bigmcgaffney posted:

Neither could we. That whole bit in the review came from a conversation Jay Dub and I had about that very thing.

The GTA3 guy posted:

Holy Rollers was released over a year ago, why'd you guys wait so long to review it?

In the UK, where Clumsy lives, it's brand-new. Since we already did Winnie the Pooh, there was nothing else this week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Still, there's no reason to get too upset. Who knows, the movie could be good.
With a line in the movie by Smurfette that goes "I kissed a Smurf and I liked it," not bloody likely.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
The taste of Smurfberry - oh gently caress me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Y-Hat posted:

With a line in the movie by Smurfette that goes "I kissed a Smurf and I liked it," not bloody likely.

Pretend I was laughing maniacally as I typed that last sentence.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Y-Hat posted:

It's more like she's questioning. "I kissed a Smurf and I... liked it?"

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Vargo posted:

Fuckckkkkkkk

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

Does that imply that Smurfette is unsure about the fact that she enjoyed kissing a guy?

We may have to face the apocalyptic possibility that Smurfette, the one and only female Smurf, is a lesbian.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The other way around is at least as disturbing, wherein Smurfette is the only smurf capable of reproducing until another female is born.

...on second thought, I don't want to talk about this.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jay Dub posted:

Does that imply that Smurfette is unsure about the fact that she enjoyed kissing a guy?

We may have to face the apocalyptic possibility that Smurfette, the one and only female Smurf, is a lesbian.

Papa Smurf is just going "Son of a Smurf."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The other way around is at least as disturbing, wherein Smurfette is the only smurf capable of reproducing until another female is born.

Since there were hundreds of smurfs before Gargamel created Smurfette, chances are good that isn't how smurfs reproduce. Perhaps they just spring from Papa Smurf's hat or something.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I hope the opening of the movie is Gargamel raining loving Armageddon down on Smurf village, like the opening of the cartoon.

Also Poseidon inexplicably shows up.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

Great, this thread is about to be derailed over the whole "how do smurfs reproduce" thing.

I hope they reproduce like mammals and go extinct, because smurfette really has a whole bestiality thing going with Azrael. I just made this poo poo up and yet I can guarantee someone has even drawn that exact coupling on deviantart.com...Took 2 seconds to find something close...

http://kojinkaluigigodzilla.deviantart.com/art/A-Smurfy-Friendship-91266072

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Look what you've done! It's only a matter of time before someone makes a horrifying "justified rape" comic and this thread gets gassed.

On a more positive note, I'm surprised by the positive review for Captain America. I was expecting harsher criticism for the last third of the movie, after reading/watching other reviews.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Look what you've done! It's only a matter of time before someone makes a horrifying "justified rape" comic and this thread gets gassed.

On a more positive note, I'm surprised by the positive review for Captain America. I was expecting harsher criticism for the last third of the movie, after reading/watching other reviews.

There really isn't a whole lot to say about the back end of the movie. My biggest complaint would probably be that Red Skull wasn't really developed enough to offer a satisfying climax.

"Rarr! I'm evil, watch me blow up America!"

"Oh no you don't! I, Captain America, am gonna stop you for America!"

*Ameri-punch*

Also cuz gently caress em, I liked the movie.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/battleship-movie-exists.php

So, which one of you is going to get stuck with this gem of a concept when it comes out next year?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

ThemeMusicC posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/battleship-movie-exists.php

So, which one of you is going to get stuck with this gem of a concept when it comes out next year?

I've basically got the "Expectations" paragraph written, so... Probably Clumsy.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Vargo posted:

I've basically got the "Expectations" paragraph written, so... Probably Clumsy.

Clumsy Smurf to you.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oops. There you are.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has there ever been a body switch film with an interesting set of body switchers? Like maybe a man and a woman or even just two people who don't even like each other. I mean the parent/child switch could be interesting if it weren't the subject of 90% of them and never actually explored anything deeper than grown up life isn't like a child's fantasy and childhood isn't like grown up nostalgia.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Does 'All of Me' with Steve Martin count?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

I think it's necessary for there to be a Freaky Friday-type film about once every two years. It's more than a trope, it's basically it's own genre by now. As a result, you don't even have to give reasons or make sense, because we basically all know whats going to happen. They all basically have the same message: "Mothers and daughters are both great in their own ways." "Single life and married life both have their advantages." Just once I'd like to see this happen to random people and have one person's life drastically improve in every way. "I was an overweight accountant from Des Moines, now I'm a pro surfer! Screw you, I'm not going back!"
Trading Places?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Gyges posted:

Has there ever been a body switch film with an interesting set of body switchers? Like maybe a man and a woman or even just two people who don't even like each other. I mean the parent/child switch could be interesting if it weren't the subject of 90% of them and never actually explored anything deeper than grown up life isn't like a child's fantasy and childhood isn't like grown up nostalgia.

Face Off.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Y-Hat posted:

Trading Places?

I don't know if I count that because the plot of the movie was that they chose that switch, if I remember right.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Vargo posted:

I don't know if I count that because the plot of the movie was that they chose that switch, if I remember right.

If we're talking the Eddie Murphy/Dan Aykroyd one, they didn't switch bodies, they just had their lives transposed by a couple of rich cocksuckers over a bet.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The Hot Chick had Rob Schneider swap with Rachel McAdams, and as you might expect there are basically zero upsides to Being Rob Schneider.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 7, 2011

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If we're talking the Eddie Murphy/Dan Aykroyd one, they didn't switch bodies, they just had their lives transposed by a couple of rich cocksuckers over a bet.

That's right. That was the deal with that movie.

Also, yes. I suppose The Hot Chick qualifies.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

King of Bleh posted:

Being Rob Schneider.

The horror film version of Being John Malkovich.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
As a Rob Schneider movie, I assume the Hot Chick was horrible. Was there any exploration of a gender switch other than hilarious bathroom humor?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gyges posted:

As a Rob Schneider movie, I assume the Hot Chick was horrible. Was there any exploration of a gender switch other than hilarious bathroom humor?
Of course not.

Leinator
Jun 29, 2008

And on the lazy days
The dogs dissolve and drain away
The world it goes
And all awaits
The day we are awaiting

quote:

I mean, we already know that the Planet of the Apes eventually rises. I'm not necessarily asking to be shown how it rises; I'd just like to see more of Caesar working things out. "Okay, gents, now that we've successfully rebelled, the next order of business is rising. Who knows anything about that?" That's something the sequel can tackle, I guess, but we've already got one good prequel here. How could they possibly deliver another?

Didn't the post-credits scene wrap everything up?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Leinator posted:

Didn't the post-credits scene wrap everything up?

Sort of, but I'd still love to see the movie where the virus kills most of the humans and the apes are left standing around going, "Welp..."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jay Dub posted:

If, for some reason, you find yourself sitting down on a Sunday afternoon and happen to find this film gracing your TV screen, take my advice and watch the first fifteen minutes. There's some genuinely exciting stuff in there, as we get to witness Conan as a child training to be a barbarian warrior. As much as I enjoyed Jason Momoa's performance, the early scenes of Kid Conan and his father (Ron Perlman) are far more engaging than anything that comes after. Once Conan grows up, you could keep watching or you could go outside and do what is best in life: anything else.

So basically, Conan is a lot like Daredevil.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Seeing the trailers for Fright Night always kind of pissed me off because of the timing. It seems like deliberate pandering to the 18-35 male crowd who are tired of Twilight style vampires, hell they even say in the trailers "He's not brooding or lovesick, he's the shark from Jaws!" It's almost more offensive to me than the Twilight style, and honestly, if I had a girlfriend who wanted to see one or one of my cousins needed an adult presence to go out, I'd see one of those, but I can't fathom any sequence of events that would lead me to go see Fright Night. It's similar to my reasons for vowing never to see Gamer. It just annoys me when Hollywood tries to make movies for the target audience I sort of fit into. Just make good movies and I'll see them, I liked Benjamin Button, Forrest Gump, all kinds of movies that didn't have a single explosion or monster.

Am I just :spergin: or does anyone else feel this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Gavok posted:

So basically, Conan is a lot like Daredevil.

Huh. Yeah, I guess he is.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Am I just :spergin: or does anyone else feel this way?

I get what you mean, but I don't know that that necessarily applies to Fright Night. Sure, it cracks a Twilight joke here and there, but I never got the impression that it was some calculated ruse to swindle horror geeks out of money. If anything, Conan the Barbarian was more of a shameless cash grab on a popular title than Fright Night was.

• Locked thread