Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

PopeOnARope posted:

Yeah, Toys Toys Toys has a really bad habit of jacking their prices up regardless of which location you go to.

I know Mastermind occasionally has buy two get one free sales on the minifigs. There are also tons of smaller candy/toy shops all over town that sell them at much more reasonable prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
That settles it. I'm off the fence.
After seeing that I decided I am pro-non-official custom pieces.
Gonna buy some stuff. Especially that stuff when it's available.

1x1 round tiles is something LEGO should have done decades ago.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't mind custom, as long as it's just minifig stuff. Actual custom bricks themselves would seem like cheating.

I'm thinking my next MOC will be a Master Sword display, most likely designed after the LTTP location it's found at. I did manage to find a place that sells a custom minifig Master Sword.

I'm having difficulty thinking how I'd build the location that it sits on, in Link to the Past. It's an octagon shape, so I'd need to place bricks diagonally. I can figure out how to do that; it's matching up the diagonal bricks up to the vert/hori bricks cleanly.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Revol posted:

I'm having difficulty thinking how I'd build the location that it sits on, in Link to the Past. It's an octagon shape, so I'd need to place bricks diagonally. I can figure out how to do that; it's matching up the diagonal bricks up to the vert/hori bricks cleanly.

Will this work for you?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I know how to go that far. The issue is continuing this wall, at a 45 degree angle.

I'm going to have to do something weird to pull it off.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Revol posted:

Joining the Architecture line this September is the Robie House.

drat, that looks really nice. I love the architecture line but they're both overpriced and no fun to play with. Just nice-looking decoration that costs a fortune.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
You minifig spergs are ruining the building of cool things for the rest of us. :smith:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Flavor Bear posted:

That settles it. I'm off the fence.
After seeing that I decided I am pro-non-official custom pieces.
Gonna buy some stuff. Especially that stuff when it's available.

1x1 round tiles is something LEGO should have done decades ago.

Ok speaking of this topic, hands up, who caved (or will cave) on the "no knockoffs" rule and bought Transformers Kre-Os? I was weak and bought some and ugggghhh the plastic. It doesn't look right or feel right. I deserve this. Sorry, Lego. :(

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tanith posted:

You minifig spergs are ruining the building of cool things for the rest of us. :smith:

Nah, new Lego has always been far too expensive. Yard sales and Craigslist are where it's at. Old sets were better anyway :corsair:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Revol posted:

I don't mind custom, as long as it's just minifig stuff. Actual custom bricks themselves would seem like cheating.

I'm thinking my next MOC will be a Master Sword display, most likely designed after the LTTP location it's found at. I did manage to find a place that sells a custom minifig Master Sword.

Where did those Link minifigs come from? I recognize all the parts except the greet cap. Is the cap just modelling clay, or...?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Goin to the lego store tomorrow for the first time in 15 years. I'm planning on getting an MBA set or two and doing the pick a brick. Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Are prices reasonable our should I quickly find a buyer tonight for these extraneous organs?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Toy's R Us is having a good promotion.

$25 off $125 purchase when using a Mastercard
BoGo half off certain LEGO
Free shipping on $75 and up

Picked up Technic 8053 Mobile Crane and 8109 Flatbed Truck for $62.49 each after combining deals.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I need a parts list and some instructions, stat.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Love Gulf

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

Ok speaking of this topic, hands up, who caved (or will cave) on the "no knockoffs" rule and bought Transformers Kre-Os? I was weak and bought some and ugggghhh the plastic. It doesn't look right or feel right. I deserve this. Sorry, Lego. :(

I keep looking at them online.. I know when I get back to the US later this week, I'll run into them at a Walmart or something and cave. I think it's not so much the actual models, more the little mini-figs I'm interested in.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

einTier posted:

I need a parts list and some instructions, stat.

That's about as basic a car build as you can get. It looks like it's almost entirely plates and I don't see any obvious advanced building techniques. Just a straight up studs-on-top build.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is Kree-O any good by knockoff standards? Those there transformers sets look kinda uhhhh neat

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Went to the Lego Discovery Center with the kid on the weekend. It's not particularly impressive, but he likes it. We got season passes because it's so close and it's a good thing for a rainy sunday afternoon and you get promotions (including 10% off in the store, membership to some kind of club with a magazine.... etc).

More significanlty he got his first non-Duplo lego set. Alien Conquest: Alien Defender. Non-licensed and small! What a good boy. He doesn't really get building stuff and is still a bit young for it. But he really likes taking it apart. Also he decided the minifig in it called "Spaceman Jack Sparrow".

Oh and for some reason the Cars 2 Classic Mater is £2.60 at Amazon.co.uk at the moment, which is pretty much half price. So I got two, one for each of us. The awesome Scarab Attack is also close to half price.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Stopped in at TRU to see if the new series of minifigs was in yet, only to find a pile of the last series. After five minutes of bag squeezing I found another Hazard Suit Guy and a Mad Scientist. (And while looking for them I found most of the other figures as well). After the fast sell out of the previous series I was suprized to find them there and more suprized that there were more than just commons left.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

Where did those Link minifigs come from? I recognize all the parts except the greet cap. Is the cap just modelling clay, or...?

I think they're custom, as one of them has pointy ears on. The green bandana from the Forestwoman was the most sought-after Link accessory for the longest time, but I've seen brickbuilt caps and even somebody using the Green Goblin helmet from the movie Spider-man line as a Link hat.

Here's my effort, the hat is custom, as is the hair, and specifically meant to be LttP Link:

Not really happy with the decals on the legs, I'm probably going to sub a pair of short brown dwarf legs and make a custom skirt like the Hula Dancer's but not frayed at the ends. In retrospect the hair is a bit much and I'd really like to find a way to use the Gnome's hat instead of sculpting the cap/hair.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I keep looking at them online.. I know when I get back to the US later this week, I'll run into them at a Walmart or something and cave. I think it's not so much the actual models, more the little mini-figs I'm interested in.

The minifig...I dunno. I bought Ratchet, because I'm a big sucker for that character, and I spend most of my time wishing the torse was an actual lego piece so I could swap the head onto it. If you can take it for what it is, that's great. But if you want it to blend seamlessly with your lego, you're SOL.

Sockser posted:

Is Kree-O any good by knockoff standards? Those there transformers sets look kinda uhhhh neat

I'd say not as bad as Megablocks, but definitely not indistinguishable. My plan is to use the parts list to order actual lego to build the set with, and then throw these abominations into the garbage. I guess I have to save the head, but that's it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

My plan is to use the parts list to order actual lego to build the set with, and then throw these abominations into the garbage. I guess I have to save the head, but that's it.

You're in luck! http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/content.php?/transformers-news/story/10602/Kre-O+Transformers+Instruction+Sheet+Scans+now+online.html

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

....kind of. I mean, you still need the head. Also, I have not yeat verified that every single piece also exists in official lego, though I suspect all the important ones do.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

....kind of. I mean, you still need the head. Also, I have not yeat verified that every single piece also exists in official lego, though I suspect all the important ones do.

I can see some that don't, but you can fudge them with others. I'm also disappointed that they don't actually transform. I appreciate that it was a want too far, but eh. :(

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Stopped in at TRU to see if the new series of minifigs was in yet, only to find a pile of the last series. After five minutes of bag squeezing I found another Hazard Suit Guy and a Mad Scientist. (And while looking for them I found most of the other figures as well). After the fast sell out of the previous series I was suprized to find them there and more suprized that there were more than just commons left.

Series 4 was produced in huge quantities compared to series 1 & 2. S1, Lego stores and TRU were lucky to get 2 cases throughout the entire run. With S4, even Fred Meyer stores (a regional chain in the western US) were getting multiple cases at the very start.
I'm a bit surprised S5 hasn't been spotted anywhere in the wild yet. A Belgian website says they're shipping on July 25th, and TRU's site says August 16. One person on Eurobricks says he has the gangster, but doesn't elaborate on how.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The_Doctor posted:

I can see some that don't, but you can fudge them with others. I'm also disappointed that they don't actually transform. I appreciate that it was a want too far, but eh. :(

Oh. They don't? Well, gently caress that, then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Considering fans have made functioning, transforming robots out of actual Lego, I don't think it's that farfetched to want.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Heres a pretty good review of the KRE-O sets:

http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/blog/kre-o/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Super Waffle posted:

Heres a pretty good review of the KRE-O sets:

http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/blog/kre-o/

Huh, that comic is still around. I haven't read it in years. I see his art hasn't evolved much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

Be careful what you wish for.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Captain Invictus posted:

At least those had close-to-LEGO plastic quality and tolerance. I have quite a lot of BTR parts in my 'odd stuff' box and have no problem mixing them in on a model.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Captain Invictus posted:

I just get the feeling whoever designed this must've been like "fuuuuuck I'm gonna be so fired one my boss sees this, I just know it. :ohdear:"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040143?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews

Word from ComicCon, Lego gets full DC Superheroes license. Personally I can't wait for the Green Lantern set, which will hopefully just be a minifig and a poo poo-load of trans green to make whatever you want.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Saint Sputnik posted:

Huh, that comic is still around. I haven't read it in years. I see his art hasn't evolved much.

Where his art lags I feel his writing has improved by a bit, but I think he trys too hard to make his gay characters seem more than The Gay Characters, when he's already achieved that. On the other hand he started a new comic that recycles the exact same characters out of cannon and context but in a new setting, sooo make of that what you will.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Travis343 posted:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040143?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews

Word from ComicCon, Lego gets full DC Superheroes license. Personally I can't wait for the Green Lantern set, which will hopefully just be a minifig and a poo poo-load of trans green to make whatever you want.

I had been thinking about selling my Batman sets...maybe I should do that before there's a ton of DC stuff on the shelves again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

I had been thinking about selling my Batman sets...maybe I should do that before there's a ton of DC stuff on the shelves again.
Unload them if you haven't already, I sold two Batcaves for nearly 900 dollars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Travis343 posted:

gently caress you Lego, stop trying to steal all my money.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Travis343 posted:

YESSS this is awesome. A LEGO Question would rock... although I guess I can already kinda do that if I turn the head the wrong way. :silent:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I'd be happier if it was Marvel. DC kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canis Dufus
Sep 11, 2001

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I just get the feeling whoever designed this must've been like "fuuuuuck I'm gonna be so fired one my boss sees this, I just know it. :ohdear:"
Worst part is, those didn't transform either.