Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I didn't expect it to have cut almost completely through the tail, wow.

Edit: Also, the woman with neck pain. :rolleye:

Watching the way the CRJ got torqued around in the A380 collision makes it believable that somebody in the torture tube could have neck pain; I doubt anyone in the 767 (a big two-aisle plane) would be injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Godholio posted:

I didn't expect it to have cut almost completely through the tail, wow.

EMBEDDED gently caress

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

EMBEDDED gently caress

Dang.

Since the winglets are just a retrofit/add-on and not load-bearing, they probably detach a lot easier, and why not? This way they can just move an intensive periodic inspection forwards, replace the winglet, and be up in the air again.

That's not the worst CRJ accident ASA's ever been involved in:

quote:

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The regional airline, ASA, denied Wednesday that one of the aircraft involved in a freak hangar accident is to be written off as a total loss. "There has been no such determination by ASA or our engineers working on the event," said Kate Modolo, spokesperson for Atlantic Southeast Airlines.

Three CRJ passenger jets sustained serious damage when a young mechanic pressed a starter switch to slowly spin jet engine compressor blades for routine washing. She had successfully performed the same action on the jet's right engine without difficulty. However, mechanics familiar with the accident said that when the mechanic repeated the action on the left engine of the CRJ model 700 jet, a computer control system known as "FADEC" ignited the engine and immediately spun up to near takeoff power. Someone had left the throttle setting for the left engine at 85% power, sources said.

The 34 ton passenger jet leapt forward, plowing into two other CRJ aircraft in the hangar. Airport manager Anthony Marino said the pair of model 200 aircraft that were damaged will be repaired at the Baton Rouge maintenance facility, which employs 120 people. "That's a sign of the high skill levels over there" at the new ASA hangar. Marino was instrumental in construction of the $6 million hangar to lure the ASA maintenance facility to Baton Rouge.

Marino acknowledged that the three-plane smashup could have become an explosive disaster. The incident occurred in the pre-dawn hours of Monday, July 7th. None of the 14 ASA mechanics and cleaning workers inside the hangar was injured. The 1:50 a.m. incident produced little media attention until WAFB News learned of the magnitude of the accident on Monday, July 21st.

ASA spokeswoman Modolo said the investigation of the accident is still underway. Ordinarily, any damage that renders an aircraft not flyable requires a report to the National Transportation Safety Board. However, the NTSB told WAFB News it was not investigating the ASA incident. The aircraft carried no passengers, were not in flight, and were damaged in an FAA-approved maintenance facility.

Together, the three jets are valued at $50 million, according to Modolo. The young woman who set the multi-million dollar chain of events in motion is not likely to bear full blame for the event. "There's plenty of blame to go around," said one airport employee familiar with the accident. While ASA would not discuss its specific safety policies, airliners inside repair hangars ordinarily are drained of most of the fuel and circuit breakers pulled on equipment that could set the engines in motion.

The 60-foot run of the CRJ 700 at near full takeoff power was just 300 yards from normally busy Plank Road on the east perimeter of Baton Rouge airport. The CRJ 700 jet ordinarily carries 70 passengers. The CRJ 200's usually have 50 seats. ASA was purchased from Delta Airlines in 2005 and sold to Air West. ASA has a fleet of 160 aircraft, most of which are CRJ's. The name is derived from the name bombardier Canadair Regional Jet. FAA records show that the most severely damaged plane is actually owned by Wachovia Bank, a common situation in airline financing of their equipment.

As a height-haver (6' 4") I'm kind of bummed I have two CRJ flights coming up in August :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Slo-Tek posted:

Rutan's final project is a Flying Car.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blog...mentId=blogDest

Destined to be filed away as a novelty with all the other flying cars. Shame that Rutan spent his time on this project as his last.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mustang, Skyraider mid-air at Duxford last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_A4xdGFXoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xctYWSuwoYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQsJS7zQOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDxkLtPuX4

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Sorry, no pics. If you guys are ever around Virginia Beach check out this place: http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org. It's a great collection, and most of the aircraft are flyable.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Can't believe the F-22 fleet is still grounded.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Is it just me or did that Mustang still look flyable? I don't question the pilot's choice to eject but still, it would be a shame if it could have been landed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rcman50166 posted:

Is it just me or did that Mustang still look flyable? I don't question the pilot's choice to eject but still, it would be a shame if it could have been landed.

It didn't appear to have lost any flight surfaces (the only piece that fell out of the sky appeared to be the Skyraider wing), but a couple angles show a fair amount of damage to the bottom of the fuselage just ahead of the tail, so it's possible he lost his control linkages to the tail/rudder.

It's a bummer to lose the plane, but it was sure nice to see the pilot got out safely, and to see the Skyraider land after the crash. Tough airplane.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

rcman50166 posted:

I think if maybe if he took time to assess the situation at such a low level, problems could have compounded very quickly - and there was no way for him to know exactly what was damaged or how badly it was damaged. As sad as it is, he did the right thing, and did it very well.

It really did look flyable, and I bet it was - but there aren't many options at such a low altitude. A less professional pilot probably would have tried to save the plane - as weird as that logic may seem.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Styles Bitchley posted:

Can't believe the F-22 fleet is still grounded.

You aren't the only one. It has been amusing to see a lot of the crap out there regarding speculation...both about how this is the end of the program and the AF is getting ready to scrap all the jets as well as the flip side on how it's all just a ruse to deploy the jets somewhere else and how I live near base X and they've totally been flying around all summer Unless you're at Edwards, they haven't.

ursa_minor posted:

I think if maybe if he took time to assess the situation at such a low level, problems could have compounded very quickly - and there was no way for him to know exactly what was damaged or how badly it was damaged. As sad as it is, he did the right thing, and did it very well.

It really did look flyable, and I bet it was - but there aren't many options at such a low altitude. A less professional pilot probably would have tried to save the plane - as weird as that logic may seem.

Given the situation he was in, he could've run out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas pretty quickly had something (else) gone wrong. Doing a manual bailout at that altitude is pretty impressive.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

iyaayas01 posted:

Given the situation he was in, he could've run out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas pretty quickly had something (else) gone wrong. Doing a manual bailout at that altitude is pretty impressive.

Especially considering the parachute deployed about 2 seconds before he hit the ground. He must be some old military pilot or something, to just go into that fearless, mechanical self-preservation mode.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Why are the F-22s still grounded? Mechanical fault, or software issues?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Why are the F-22s still grounded? Mechanical fault, or software issues?

Issue is the system that generates oxygen for the pilot.

Random link:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=7098675&c=AME&s=AIR

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
An excerpt from Techniques for the new Airbus Pilot:

quote:

Being new on an Airbus brings new meaning to being new on lets say a Boeing aircraft. When I tell the Captain that I am new on the Airbus, I commonly don't get the standard response of, "Oh, well that's okay," from him or her. It is usually, "Oohhhh, well, are you getting the hang of it now?" See the difference? That's because all I can tell you is that compared to a Boeing (or similar jet aircraft) the Airbus can give the impression of being a really wacky machine. That is until you get to learn its brain and naturally its logic. Even all the Check Airmen and Captains who have 9000-plus hours on the plane all comment that the Airbus is indeed very unusual. They even go on and say sometimes they see something new that they have never seen before. Well that's comforting, isn't it?

There's even an old joke about Airbus pilots:

How can you tell an Airbus pilot? (S)he's the one who says, "What's it doing now?"

How can you tell an experienced Airbus pilot? (S)he's the one who says, "It's doing that again!"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Random link:

Fuckin' pilots, what a bunch of whiny crybabies.

:qq: oh we want oxygen waah waah we need it to live waaaah :qq:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Fuckin' pilots, what a bunch of whiny crybabies.

:qq: oh we want oxygen waah waah we need it to live waaaah :qq:

At least theirs is simple and easy to fix:

From http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

joat mon posted:

I skipped out of the office for a half hour and watched Aluminum Overcast land today. I was in the approach path, but she was a little bit higher than pictured here. Probably 2-300ft? I'm bad at judging airplane altitude. Anyway, it was very cool.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

At least theirs is simple and easy to fix:

From http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm

I am not sure if you're being sarcastic, because that actually looks a lot simpler than I would have expected.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

The fact that the Airbus' throttle levers don't physically move when auto thrust in engaged is so loving :psyduck: to me. Even moreso after it was noted it was probably a contributing factor in the crash of flight 447.

I am not a pilot though.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

That dude owes his rigger a bottle of booze.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BonzoESC posted:

How much of that is because Airbuses are relatively uncommon in the US market?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

The Electronaut posted:

That dude owes his rigger a bottle of booze.
Considering how many years he's no doubt been flying (I assume somewhat consistently since the plane's introduction to the public market), wouldn't he be doing his own 'chute packing?

Still impressed with the awareness to ejectbail as he was entering an ever-more-rapidly decaying situation.

edit: I'm an idiot, he had to actually pull himself out of the cockpit, didn't he? Even more :clint: then, jesus.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Revolvyerom posted:

edit: I'm an idiot, he had to actually pull himself out of the cockpit, didn't he? Even more :clint: then, jesus.

He pops the canopy almost immediately, you can see it fluttering behind the Mustang - and then yeah, old cat had to physically stand up and jump out of a rapidly falling airplane, only a few hundred feet off the ground. The more I really try to put myself into that position, the more :clint: it gets.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Styles Bitchley posted:

Random link:

This is a pretty good article that peels back a bit of the onion on the OBOGS issues.

And yeah, getting everyone back up and qualified is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lowclock posted:

I am not sure if you're being sarcastic, because that actually looks a lot simpler than I would have expected.

That it's a compressed-air powered air conditioning system seems a bit nutty. For a fun game, count the turbines.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Trip report: MD-90s are quite quiet up front.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

This is a pretty good article that peels back a bit of the onion on the OBOGS issues.

And yeah, getting everyone back up and qualified is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Thanks for the links.

Is the oxygen flow not metered on these? As in an alarm goes off when under limits, and is logged into the flight data recorder.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ursa_minor posted:

He pops the canopy almost immediately, you can see it fluttering behind the Mustang - and then yeah, old cat had to physically stand up and jump out of a rapidly falling airplane, only a few hundred feet off the ground. The more I really try to put myself into that position, the more :clint: it gets.

In one of the interviews with him after the crash, he also states that most of his injuries came when he hit the tail after leaving the cockpit.

Looking at it again, given how quick he had the canopy off, if he had stayed in the plane to see if it was flyable for even a couple of seconds, he wouldn't have made it out if it wasn't flyable. Glad he got out.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

BonzoESC posted:

Trip report: MD-90s are quite quiet up front.
While you're enjoying your soft speaking chat up there think about the poor souls in the last few rows next to those spinning noise makers and the few inches of materials separating them.

The only time I ever got airsick was a 2+ hour flight last row, middle seat in the Spring going to KLAS. Them are torture seats I tell ya!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ack! posted:

While you're enjoying your soft speaking chat up there think about the poor souls in the last few rows next to those spinning noise makers and the few inches of materials separating them.

The only time I ever got airsick was a 2+ hour flight last row, middle seat in the Spring going to KLAS. Them are torture seats I tell ya!

I sat next to a turboprop rotor before, now that's an awful seat. This A319 isn't too bad except for the awful buzzing (rotor tips going supersonic?) during takeoff and climb.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

dissss posted:

How much of that is because Airbuses are relatively uncommon in the US market?

Airbuses aren't rare at all in the US. United, Delta, US Airways, jetBlue and Virgin America all operate variants of the A320 (to say nothing of Delta and US Airways A330 fleets). By my best guess, there are something like 600 FBW Airbuses operating in US airline service.

BonzoESC posted:

That it's a compressed-air powered air conditioning system seems a bit nutty. For a fun game, count the turbines.

Unusual maybe, but the air cycle machine is an incredibly elegant and lightweight means of providing environmental control.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Airbuses aren't rare at all in the US. United, Delta, US Airways, jetBlue and Virgin America all operate variants of the A320 (to say nothing of Delta and US Airways A330 fleets). By my best guess, there are something like 600 FBW Airbuses operating in US airline service.
On one right now :)

quote:

Unusual maybe, but the air cycle machine is an incredibly elegant and lightweight means of providing environmental control.
Isn't the air handling on the 787 all-electric (just like everything else on 787?)

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I remember seeing some video or page about the 777 and it's engines and development and how they strapped one on the wing of a 747 and it made more power than the two on the other side combined and that said it could handle such and such amounts of water before it shut down. Does anyone have the slightest clue on what I'm talking about?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OptimusMatrix posted:

I remember seeing some video or page about the 777 and it's engines and development and how they strapped one on the wing of a 747 and it made more power than the two on the other side combined and that said it could handle such and such amounts of water before it shut down. Does anyone have the slightest clue on what I'm talking about?

I remember a 1-hour special on the Discovery Channel back in the 90's that said all this. The water was equivalent to a storm dropping something like 20 inches of rain an hour.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, the first C-17 landed at Stewart yesterday to start replacing the C-5s. I got to watch it come in which is historic or something, but don't take my C-5s away :qq:

Seeing a C-5 and a C-17 in the air together was pretty cool, shame they didn't fly in formation, though.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I wonder if they have been doing this at Wright Patterson. I keep seeing more and more C-17s. They don't sound as cool as the C-5s.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

VikingSkull posted:

Well, the first C-17 landed at Stewart yesterday to start replacing the C-5s. I got to watch it come in which is historic or something, but don't take my C-5s away :qq:

Seeing a C-5 and a C-17 in the air together was pretty cool, shame they didn't fly in formation, though.

The bow wake on a C-5 is so strong and so far out that refueling tankers have to fly slightly nose down because it's lifting their rear end-ends out of the way. If you put them in formation with a C-17 you might just end up with the world's first man-made typhoon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
^^^ That's what I was hoping for.

SwimNurd posted:

I wonder if they have been doing this at Wright Patterson. I keep seeing more and more C-17s. They don't sound as cool as the C-5s.

It's my understanding that the whole C-5 fleet is being phased out. The C-5s here are between 41 and 43 years old, the C-17 that got here is 14.