Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
I always used "regards" but "very truly yours" seems to be the standard. I could never stand that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Where do you folks come down on the closing/valediction section of letters? Am I stuck with "very truly yours" or do you think I can be a renegade and go with "sincerely"?

"Sincerely yours" and split the difference.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

zzyzx posted:

Everything where I work goes out the door with "Yours Very Truly"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

After hours of reading wills, it is now my goal to use every random rule in the book when creating my will so it's a morass of void clauses with a tiny amount of real ones hidden in them that will require ages for a lawyer to sift through (and other wills that are unclear if they are void or not)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

zzyzx posted:

The only correct answer is "Yours in Christ, (Your name) Bergstein."

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

The only correct answer is "Yours in Christ, (Your name) Bergstein."

I'm partial to "I beg to remain your most humble servant," personally.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaemon posted:

Where do you folks come down on the closing/valediction section of letters? Am I stuck with "very truly yours" or do you think I can be a renegade and go with "sincerely"?

Yours in Christ,

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
A strange number of people I went to school with made the switch to "Best," during law school. I think I missed that day.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I don't think firms are going to not interview you because you decided to end your letter with a "different" salutation. If they do, you don't want to work for them anyways.

I usually use "yours truly" but I've never even heard of "very truly yours". Regional thing?

It's not a firm, it's a nonengagement letter to a (non)client who's also a family friend (to whom I would not normally write letters).

I like "sincerely" as a rule, but was told in law school that "very truly yours" was the accepted standard.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
We use "very truly yours" at my firm for some reason; every lawyer under the age of 42 complains about it

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
I like "Yors Utrly," as a recent letter of mine went out.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
One day, when the time is right, I'll use "The Emperor Protects, " and the recipient will sagely nod and we'll have shared a moment that reminds us of the human beings we once were :unsmith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

I like "Yors Utrly," as a recent letter of mine went out.

That sounds like a character from a song of ice and fire

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

One day, when the time is right, I'll use "The Emperor Protects, " and the recipient will sagely nod and we'll have shared a moment that reminds us of the human beings we once were :unsmith:

"Death to the False Emperor!"

:colbert:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Former Everything posted:

Umm, I only scared myself into practicing 6-8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.

:suicide:

I studied about 3-4 hours a day for a week or two, then about an hour a day for the rest of the time, and then about 15 hours a day the week before the bar. Stopped going to barbri and switched to the video lessons after about week 2.

I passed. Maryland owns. 90%+ first time pass rate owns.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Applying to be an FSO and getting rejected is becoming an annual tradition for me. I've recently added getting rejected for a DSS SA position into the festivities for extra fun.

So basically just like looking for associate positions.

The upside is that once you're in it is literally almost impossible to get fired.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Vander posted:

"Death to the False Emperor!"

:colbert:

"For the greater good,"
Shas'lawyer Esq.
(Licensed to practice in Segmentum Solar only under rule 40(k))

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

I studied about 3-4 hours a day for a week or two, then about an hour a day for the rest of the time, and then about 15 hours a day the week before the bar. Stopped going to barbri and switched to the video lessons after about week 2.

I passed. Maryland owns. 90%+ first time pass rate owns.

A solid half of my friends are taking Maryland. I hate each and every one of them. And, actually, basically everyone who doesn't have 22 subjects to deal with. Thanks, NY.

But yeah, I switched to video after 2 days and the 2-3 up til now and 10-15 for the next week plan is mine as well. Even better choice after figuring out tm++ and watching video at 1.5x. Or 2.0x in the case of Paula. God I hate that woman.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Diplomaticus posted:

So basically just like looking for associate positions.

The upside is that once you're in it is literally almost impossible to get fired.
Well, the problem is you can only apply once per year. Very annoying.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Diplomaticus posted:

"For the greater good,"
Shas'lawyer Esq.
(Licensed to practice in Segmentum Solar only under rule 40(k))

This is actually a fairly accurate example of a sovereign citizen's signature.

For instance, the sovereign citizen I'm dealing with has an eight line paragraph for a signature block. But it's ok because he's only signing conditionally without forfeiting his secret treasury bonds.

Edit: Also, for you bar takers out there, we had a guy who was on attempt number 36 when I took it. He's on number 38 now. His wife is a nice lady on the school board.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 19, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

nm posted:

Well, the problem is you can only apply once per year. Very annoying.

If only law school was like that.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Because this thread did not unanimously condemn me for thinking about breaking with VTY, I opted for "sincerely."

Upon reflection, it seemed silly for me to identify myself as "yours" when the purpose of my letter is to say "I have decided not to represent you, I am undertaking no professional responsibility for your matter, I will not be performing any further work on your case." That's sort of anti-yours.

lawschooldestroysyourbrain.txt

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
But "sincerely" may come across as too strong. "I sincerely don't want to represent you." It makes you look like you're running away from a problem you can't fix.

"Regards" should always win out. You're sending someone your regards and therefore, in true lawyer-fashion, you're actually stating that you're sending your regards. If it's someone important, throw in a "Best Regards." That way they feel like you added your personal touch because it takes about .01 seconds to type out "best" just for them.

Of course, real men don't use a precursor. They just throw down their name after two hard paragraph breaks and the recipient just knows that poo poo got ended. This doesn't work for everyone though and can be potentially disastrous if your personalty type can't deliver on the persona you're forging via words.

Green Crayons

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

diospadre posted:

People pass because everyone has the exact mindset you do right now and scares themselves into studying 15 hours a day for weeks in a row.

I pretty much just played Black Ops and looked over my notes/did some practice poo poo. I stopped going to Bar Bri about a week in. I did fine. Look around at some of the retards in your law school class. Imagine those dudes in every law school. Those are the 20% that don't pass.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Ive always preferred "Kind regards"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Because this thread did not unanimously condemn me for thinking about breaking with VTY, I opted for "sincerely."

Upon reflection, it seemed silly for me to identify myself as "yours" when the purpose of my letter is to say "I have decided not to represent you, I am undertaking no professional responsibility for your matter, I will not be performing any further work on your case." That's sort of anti-yours.

lawschooldestroysyourbrain.txt

I think in that scenario you could even get away with a "good luck".

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Defleshed posted:

I pretty much just played Black Ops and looked over my notes/did some practice poo poo. I stopped going to Bar Bri about a week in. I did fine. Look around at some of the retards in your law school class. Imagine those dudes in every law school. Those are the 20% that don't pass.

Yeah problem was I was one of those retards. I showed you uppity assholes!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Neil: [Reading his letter to the bank manager] Darling fascist bully-boy... Give me some more money... You bastard... May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman... Neil.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
Worst thing about the bar exam: reading/posting on xo 40 times a day with other bar-taking aspies

Lemonus posted:

Ive always preferred "Kind regards"
"Yours in Christ, <Signature>" is the way to go

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Diplomaticus posted:

If only law school was like that.
I wish you could only apply to law school once a decade

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carooe posted:

"Yours in Christ, <Signature>" is the way to go

beaten, scrub you owe me joke royalties

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

And I will sue you because I own the joke patent.

:smugdog:

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

I'm partial to "Welp cya,"

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
So many good ways to close letters in the last page of this thread. I love it. I've always used "Sincerely," and never thought twice. My bad.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Go gently caress yourself.

See what I just did? I swore behind your reference.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Carooe posted:

Worst thing about the bar exam: reading/posting on xo 40 times a day with other bar-taking aspies

I think you're the only goon I've seen in the last 4 or 5 years of following this thread who has admitted to posting ON autoadmit.

yadayadayada fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 19, 2011

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yadayadayada posted:

I think you're the only goon I've seen in the last 4 or 5 years of following this thread who has admitted to posting autoadmit.
What's autoadmit? What does that have to do with "xo" whatever that is?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Linguica posted:

What's a forum

???

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Linguica posted:

AutoAdmit (aka, "that shithole")

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

A small price to pay for my longstanding rule against reading WJ posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carooe posted:

A small price to pay for my longstanding rule against reading WJ posts

and I don't write them, so we're even.

I've got a 1L summer associate writing my posts now.