Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The interior of the (giant steel and concrete) office building I work at blocks or degrades most wireless signals, and sometimes I get a "warning, you are now roaming" error message. Is this because it can't find a signal, or am I actually latching onto a non Sprint tower somewhere and racking up roaming fees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

blargle posted:

The interior of the (giant steel and concrete) office building I work at blocks or degrades most wireless signals, and sometimes I get a "warning, you are now roaming" error message. Is this because it can't find a signal, or am I actually latching onto a non Sprint tower somewhere and racking up roaming fees?
Roaming is free, buddy. You're not racking up any fees.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Oh. Why does it show me a big error message about it every 2 minutes then?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

blargle posted:

I think that is built into the phone OS and not done by Sprint (the OS is used by different carriers). You should be able to turn that off by turning on automatic roaming. I roam all the time at work and I don't get any messages.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

blargle posted:

Your phone may be set to warn you, in case you had a non-roaming plan. If you're on android, check Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile networks and make sure data roaming is enabled and data roam guard disabled.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
After the Evo 3D, what's the next big launch for sprint? Will they have a phone running Mango? Samsung Galaxy S II?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

After the Evo 3D, what's the next big launch for sprint? Will they have a phone running Mango? Samsung Galaxy S II?

The photon(Atrix) is out on the 31st, I think that's the next big one unless the july 24th rumor about the sgs2 is true(seems like it's not)

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Appachai posted:

The photon(Atrix) is out on the 31st, I think that's the next big one unless the july 24th rumor about the sgs2 is true(seems like it's not)

The latest rumors have the SGSII variants hitting the US in August now.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
Another pretty sweet 3d Youtube video... Looney Toons cartoon in 3d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3fxVBElo4

I downloaded with JetVD

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today Sprint has announced Business Freedom plans:

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/07/sprint-officially-outs-business-freedom-plans-2/

quote:

Sprint Business Freedom Plans, available starting July 24, are month-to-month, zero-term plans that deliver the features and flexibility that today’s businesses want. The plans enable businesses to pool minutes without the need for long-term contractual commitments. They can also pool Business Freedom and other Sprint plans on the same billing account.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

fuzzi posted:

I downloaded with JetVD

I see a lot of people calling 3D a gimmick, but I think it's pretty drat cool.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I see a lot of people calling 3D a gimmick, but I think it's pretty drat cool.

It's a gimmick. There's no doubt about that. But it's still a cool gimmick.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So Sprint/Clearwire people in the thread, kindly comment on this: Sprint will make a big 4G announcement this Fall.

My guess is it will announce their LTE plans. Unfortunately this means my sparse towers providing a tiny bit of coverage to the Chandler AZ area will never be amped up to provide proper 4G coverage. Clear and Wimax will just wither into oblivion.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I wonder if the sprint wimax to LTE transition is the reason the sgs2 is delayed.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Will a switch to LTE affect existing 4g phones? will an Evo 4g no longer have coverage once they move from WiMax to LTE?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Sab0921 posted:

Will a switch to LTE affect existing 4g phones? will an Evo 4g no longer have coverage once they move from WiMax to LTE?

I would assume that they would keep WiMax around for at least a couple years as they transition people to LTE, if that's what they're planning to do.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sab0921 posted:

It's been discussed a few times in the past. At minimum, WiMAX service will remain but there won't be any increase in coverage.

However, the Network Vision plan was talking about upgrading all existing 3G sites to WiMAX by 2013 or something like that. The hardware is supposed to be both LTE & WiMAX capable, so they can just shift the proportion of WiMAX channels over to LTE based on deployed-device proportionality. At least, that's the best case scenario. Reality might be somewhere in the middle.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

brc64 posted:

I would assume that they would keep WiMax around for at least a couple years as they transition people to LTE, if that's what they're planning to do.

Yeah, with iden still around I can't see them shutting down wimax quickly.

SericeousBurden
Aug 2, 2003

I don't patronize bunnyrabbits.

Stunt Rock posted:

It's a gimmick. There's no doubt about that. But it's still a cool gimmick.

Wife: SO, you can take 3D images and videos and... show them to other people on your phone?

Me: I know! Isn't that cool?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Samsung now says the sgs2 is going to be released in august. :cmon:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SericeousBurden posted:

Wife: SO, you can take 3D images and videos and... show them to other people on your phone?

Me: I know! Isn't that cool?
Or on a 3D TV. It's not like you have to look at them or show them to people on the phone specifically.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

So Sprint/Clearwire people in the thread, kindly comment on this: Sprint will make a big 4G announcement this Fall.

My guess is it will announce their LTE plans. Unfortunately this means my sparse towers providing a tiny bit of coverage to the Chandler AZ area will never be amped up to provide proper 4G coverage. Clear and Wimax will just wither into oblivion.

Its one thing Sprint has kept very quiet on, and I don't think we will have answers to the transition, how it affects current phones, etc until Sprint launches it, or at best a week before they launch it when they tell employees.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

Appachai posted:

Samsung now says the sgs2 is going to be released in august. :cmon:

I'm really surprised that this forum hasn't generated some sort of Samsung smiley by this point.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

fuzzi posted:

I downloaded with JetVD

Okay that was actually pretty cool, but am I the only one who has trouble tracking fast action in 3d when they're watching it on their phone? I might just be retarded.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

change my name posted:

Okay that was actually pretty cool, but am I the only one who has trouble tracking fast action in 3d when they're watching it on their phone? I might just be retarded.

I wouldn't say retarded, but some people have problems with 3D. It could just be your eyes or brain being, well, retarded. I watched TRON Legacy in 3D on my EVO and had no issues with the fast paced action scenes.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I find that since I've had the phone for a while, I can instantly see 3D pictures without having to un/focus my eyes or do anything silly.

Nobody could answer my question about why my app icons keep disappearing :( Does it have to do with the apps being on the SD card?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Battle Cattle posted:

Nobody could answer my question about why my app icons keep disappearing :( Does it have to do with the apps being on the SD card?

It may. You can try this and see if it fixes it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Battle Cattle posted:

I find that since I've had the phone for a while, I can instantly see 3D pictures without having to un/focus my eyes or do anything silly.

Same problem here. No clue why. That link fixed it, thanks!

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 21, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Does the Evo 3D have any snazzy DLNA features built in for easy sharing with DLNA-enabled TVs?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brc64 posted:

Does the Evo 3D have any snazzy DLNA features built in for easy sharing with DLNA-enabled TVs?

I believe that's the app called "media share" which does indeed come with the phone.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

brc64 posted:

It does. I shared a 3d movie over wifi to my brother in law's panasonic viera 3d via his ps3. If you go to the video you want to share and hit the menu button, then go to select player, the phone will find compatible technology pretty flawlessly.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I have an EVO 3D and want to know if there is application I can put on my lock screen that will toggle between ringer and vibrate mode. I have a mute application which does what I want except it puts the phone in silent mode and the phone does not vibrate if I get a call, text message or alarm notification. I've gone through the market place a bunch but most of the apps that toggle the ringer mode are widgets that don't seem to be able to be placed on the lock screen. Ideally I'd like to find an application that would, for instance, allow me to hold the volume down button for a few seconds to put the phone into vibrate mode (when the screen is off) but I haven't found anything even close to that.

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 21, 2011

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have an EVO 3D and want to know if there is application I can put on my lock screen that will toggle between ringer and vibrate mode. I have a mute application which does what I want except it puts the phone in silent mode and the phone does not vibrate if I get a call, text message or alarm notification. I've gone through the market place a bunch but most of the apps that toggle the ringer mode are widgets that don't seem to be able to be placed on the lock screen. Ideally I'd like to find an application that would, for instance, allow me to hold the volume down button for a few seconds to put the phone into vibrate mode (when the screen is off) but I haven't found anything even close to that.

I hope someone eventually hacks the 3D toggle switch into a mute switch.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Smoking_Dragon posted:

The closest thing I can think of doing is going to personalize->widget->settings->profile. That gives you a button on whichever screen you want that toggles between loud/silent/vibrate. Not as good as a dedicated hardware button or a lockscreen app but works pretty well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

McPhearson posted:

The closest thing I can think of doing is going to personalize->widget->settings->profile. That gives you a button on whichever screen you want that toggles between loud/silent/vibrate. Not as good as a dedicated hardware button or a lockscreen app but works pretty well.

Switch pro widget I think has a toggle between call and vibrate.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Doesn't just swiping the audio instead of unlock do that?

Edit: oh yea, Sense. Widgetlocker can give you a stock lockscreen that has that built in. Or it should let you add arbitrary buttons to it and have it still look like Sense.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The new sense lockscreen is totally different and afaik you can't yet duplicate it in widgetlocker.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Looks like the original Evo & Epic are going to be EOL'd in October, which isn't entirely unexpected. Although I'm not sure what that means for official ICS updates.

Meanwhile, the Samsung Conquer (little Epic) is delayed past 7/24, and no word on the Epic 2 and Within (SGSII). Between that and the delayed Epic GB update, I'm betting Samsung still can't get their drat modem to work.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Multiple times a day on my Evo I get long gibberish text messages from 9067. Some quick googling said it has something to do with my gmail account. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Looks like the original Evo & Epic are going to be EOL'd in October, which isn't entirely unexpected. Although I'm not sure what that means for official ICS updates.
I bought an EVO 4G on launch day and it's EOL before my 2 year contract is even up. Ouch.

But maybe that's normal... this is the first time I've ever had the latest and greatest phone (at least at the time of release).