Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Reposting this question in case anyone missed it since it was at the end of a page and this thread is moving pretty fast.

Diabolik900 posted:

Is there some secret I'm missing to get the dock to show up when I'm in a fullscreen app? Sometimes it'll show up when I move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, but it works so rarely that I almost think it isn't supposed to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Lion just finished installing, and I have been using Macs since OS 8, and I would have to say that SL -> Lion is incredible as 0S 9 -> OS X. :stare::fh:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diabolik900 posted:

Reposting this question in case anyone missed it since it was at the end of a page and this thread is moving pretty fast.
Move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, and then move it down again. Boom, Dock.

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone else having issues with Lion unmounting an external HDD without any visible reason? It gives the error afterwards that the drive wasn't removed correctly etc. I had an issue with Spotlight trying to index the HDD and it constantly gave the error until I made the HDD private. But the message keeps popping up every once in a while.

Mine aren't unmounting, but they're disappearing from the desktop. They're still connected, and show up in Finder. If I just yank the drive out, it complains at me :/ Happened a couple of times now, at first I thought it was because Spotlight was indexing the hell out of 3 drives like you said, but it's happened again since.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Stupid question: is there a gesture for Cmd + Tab from app to app?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

deej posted:

Mine aren't unmounting, but they're disappearing from the desktop. They're still connected, and show up in Finder. If I just yank the drive out, it complains at me :/ Happened a couple of times now, at first I thought it was because Spotlight was indexing the hell out of 3 drives like you said, but it's happened again since.
I remember having a similar issue when I first got SL, but I think it stopped on its own and worked fine ever since. It sucks not being able to search the external drive but Spotlight assfucks it so hard it apparently keeps unmounting (even though the icon stays on the desktop and the music on the drive keeps playing just fine). Did they change spotlight in some way? It worked fine in SL with the external drive. :(

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I can't stand Safari... For work there might be times where I'm doing a lot of copy/paste from context on our backend into the url bar, going back to get a password and then pushing enter on the url bar.

In safari unless it's a new window if you click off the url bar everything you typed vanishes. gently caress you Safari. Even with Chrome being "broken" as-is I haven't had issues using it. I'm actually using the Canary build which has fixed scroll bars and they removed the full screen so I guess they're working on fixing it entirely. It's useless on a 3 monitor setup so I could care less and I don't have this stupid Safari problem. Gestures still broken tho.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Can anyone confirm if Lion has any troubles with HyperDock?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ask and ye shall receive.

:worship:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

:dance: You are awesome. Thank you.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Stupid question: is there a gesture for Cmd + Tab from app to app?

Do you mean something like Cmd + ` ?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Xenomorph posted:

Has anyone bothered making a bootable DVD yet?

I made a bootable hard drive with the ol' Disk Utility restore. Also made a DVD, but since it takes like 15 minutes to boot from the DVD, I decided to stick with the hard drive.

quote:

Installation requires a connection to the Internet, and it does not work with WiFi on some systems.
(I tried this on my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, and it couldn't find any networks via WiFi. I had to plug in an Ethernet cable.)

I did an install for someone with a one-year old AEBS and a last-gen MacBook and it found the network just fine.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
A quick note for the terminal junkies out there: if you're SSH'ing somewhere and suddenly all your UTF-8 characters are broken and nothing helps, use a different SSH client (OpenSSH from MacPorts works fine). For some reason the built-in SSH client in Lion seems to have really broken UTF-8 support.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Does anyone know if the live version runs better than the GM because even still the GM is kind of sluggish for me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A little bit about Safari 5.1: Did anyone notice that if you invoke Reader in Safari on one of those multi-page articles where chapters are linked across the board, that if you go to the first page it autodownloads the rest of the article so you get to read (and print) the entire article in one fell swoop?

And then you can print it to PDF so you can give them the middle finger if they have the nerve to charge you for a PDF?

Maybe it was there in previous Safaris but I never noticed it. Also, hasn't worked on some articles but it works fine for the ArsTechnica Lion review :smug:

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard, and I'm missing the "three finger swipe for backward or forward in web browser" feature. It doesn't seem to be the same as the change pages gesture under "More Gestures." I could set it up in better touch tool, but I don't see why they would remove it.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

modig posted:

I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard, and I'm missing the "three finger swipe for backward or forward in web browser" feature. It doesn't seem to be the same as the change pages gesture under "More Gestures." I could set it up in better touch tool, but I don't see why they would remove it.

In what browser? Safari listens to two-finger swipes for forward & backward, as three fingers moves across Spaces. Chrome doesn't seem to listen to anything (yet) beyond scrolling up and down.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Radnor posted:

In what browser? Safari listens to two-finger swipes for forward & backward, as three fingers moves across Spaces. Chrome doesn't seem to listen to anything (yet) beyond scrolling up and down.

I actually like the two finger swipe for backward & forward. If I'm already navigating up and down with two fingers, why not go left and right with two?

Lion is really making me feel like I did the right thing by buying a Mac (2 weeks ago) after being a Windows user since 3.1. I also like how Safari now jumps to the last post like all the other browsers do.

Having the option to swipe in some way to switch between tabs would also be nice, but maybe I'm asking for too much here.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 21, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I actually like the two finger swipe for backward & forward. If I'm already navigating up and down with two fingers, why not go left and right with two?

What about when someone breaks your tables?

EDIT: I wish Safari had an awesome bar.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

modig posted:

Choose one of the options that includes the three-finger gesture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Millions posted:

Can anyone confirm if Lion has any troubles with HyperDock?

No problems here - the author pushed out a good number of updates yesterday and did a major version numbering change for Lion. Version 1.1 is supported under Lion and I've got build 1.1.1.

x-virge posted:

Choose one of the options that includes the three-finger gesture:

oh god thank you!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Alright, upgraded to Lion.

Pages is still killing me. To repeat my problem: the keyboard randomly stops working.
I can write just fine for a minute and then the keyboard sort of dies. It still works fine in Safari though.
Whenever I can't write in Pages, I have to click on the desktop (anywhere that is not my open document), then click back on my document and then, if I'm lucky, the keyboard works again. For about a minute. And I used to be able to jump to the beginning of a line by pressing ctrl + left arrow...but that actually swipes the whole screen over to the dashboard now.

Any help is highly appreciated here.

edit: Alright, fixed the swiping stuff. That was mission control. I'm sure there is a simple solution for the Pages problem too...

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 21, 2011

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yakattak posted:

Does anyone know if the live version runs better than the GM because even still the GM is kind of sluggish for me.

Build numbers are identical.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sinestro posted:

Lion just finished installing, and I have been using Macs since OS 8, and I would have to say that SL -> Lion is incredible as 0S 9 -> OS X. :stare::fh:

How can you possibly say this? What's so revolutionary?

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

So I installed Lion last night on my Mac Pro at home and it promptly ate my user account. I hit the login screen after the first reboot and it wouldn't show any existing accounts or accept my login/password. I enabled root and poked around, but couldn't find my old stuff anywhere.

Luckily I was able to restore the old OS from a Time Machine backup. It looks like I'm not the one having this problem: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15667664

I guess I'll try installing again this weekend when I have more time and can try their suggestions for bringing my accounts back from the dead. Did anyone else have something like this happen?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is there a way to restore the three finger up and down gestures to go to the top and end of a document/page?

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

qutius posted:

Is there a way to restore the three finger up and down gestures to go to the top and end of a document/page?

I just set the global three finger swipes as command-arrow key using bettertouchtool

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

I'm liking Lion on the whole, but has anyone found a way to restore the "Last Day," "Last Week," "Last Month" type buttons to Finder? Those were indispensable (and a HUGE time saver) in other versions of OS X, and the closest feature, "All My Files," is strangely missing things when I try to use its smart search. It also doesn't appear within the file browsing dialog within programs.

Hopefully someone hasn't mentioned this yet; I tried searching with no results.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Ziploc posted:

What about when someone breaks your tables?

EDIT: I wish Safari had an awesome bar.

Use the arrow keys?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

For people who hated the fullscreen button on Chrome, the beta channel update yesterday removed it until they can fix the UX in a backward compatible way.

Stable channel release on the 25th.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I think my favorite part of lion so far is that you have to login with your password before it even boots the OS. My least favorite part is that it no longer shows me how much disk space remains at the bottom of my finder window :(

Also, "don't go lion to yourself...you need to upgrade to lion. Don't get left out in the snow like a leper-d. "

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabble posted:

My least favorite part is that it no longer shows me how much disk space remains at the bottom of my finder window :(
View > Show Status Bar. It took about 5 seconds after reading your complaint to find it.

Almost every single complaint people have about changes in Lion can be corrected in options somewhere.

Except Front Row but gently caress that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rabble posted:

Also, "don't go lion to yourself...you need to upgrade to lion. Don't get left out in the snow like a leper-d. "

I saw an official ad somewhere that said "Hail to the King, Baby" and I nearly choked laughing. I can't remember where I saw it now, though. :shobon:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sorry to break up the Lion chat but I wanted to ask if any UK/Euro goon happens to have MacFormat cover discs from the 1997-1999 period.

I know it's a long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask...

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

brandino posted:

I'm liking Lion on the whole, but has anyone found a way to restore the "Last Day," "Last Week," "Last Month" type buttons to Finder? Those were indispensable (and a HUGE time saver) in other versions of OS X, and the closest feature, "All My Files," is strangely missing things when I try to use its smart search. It also doesn't appear within the file browsing dialog within programs.

Hopefully someone hasn't mentioned this yet; I tried searching with no results.

The closest thing I can find to replicate this is to open an empty Spotlight search (option + command + space), click the + button to add a condition, add the condition for last modified (today/last week/etc) then Save the search. It'll ask you if you want to add it to the sidebar.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

Also, why does iTunes sort numeric entries last yet OS X sort numeric entries first? I want my 10cc at the top of my library, damnit. :argh:

I've noticed it for years and have expected a change with every update. Alas...

Didn't see anyone reply to you on the page you posted this on, and I'm catching up with the thread still.

In iTunes you can right click on any file(s) and go to sorting. Sort the artist by 010cc and that will put it on top of the numbers. Frankly, I go with "Ten CC" (if I had that artist), or anything similar with any number-named bands.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jiblet posted:

1. How can I remove an app from launchpad? Right now I have a ton of apps that I never/rarely use taking up space and I'd rather avoid bundling them all into a "junk" folder. Can I just remove them from the launchpad?
Google says ctrl - option - command and click, but that seems to have been a beta thing only as it doesn't work on my install at least.
I'm wondering this too; anyone know?

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm wondering this too; anyone know?

I've yet to see a solution, and it defeats the purpose of a launchpad for me.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Dan Hollis posted:

I've yet to see a solution, and it defeats the purpose of a launchpad for me.

Hmmm... I'm not entirely getting the launchpad love.

Hitting Command + Spacebar seems to work much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

DigitalChaos posted:

Well, with Safari you reopen the app and you can see it reloading all the pages from the net. That isn't something you would see from an app that has been frozen to disk. I am pretty sure Safari has always had this behavior. I know Firefox and Chrome certainly have the option to reload your last session. That is very different from the description of app suspend though.

You're using phrases like "app suspend" and "frozen to disk" that imply serialization of application memory and other data. Window restoration simply remembers some lightweight window state and automatically restores it on next launch. I wouldn't want applications to be hibernating their entire memory state, especially with large documents open.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

So is there a reason that the "customize" option is still greyed out for me? Is there not a way to do a clean install of Lion?

There's really no need to do a clean install of Lion. As an Apple employee said in the dev forums, "The upgrade installer is much smarter than it used to be."