Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
No one makes perfect decisions in the series because it's impossible. Decisions that seem to be good at the time come to bite characters later on. That's because they're human, and it's a tragedy. The model is Shakespeare as much as it is Mallory. No good deed goes unpunished.

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that this really is 100% based on the model of the historical tragedy and that none of the main characters are getting out in one piece. If the end of the series is a Hamlet style bloodbath I would not be at all shocked.

Edit: I think the repeated phrases (kennings if you are effete) are just a symptom of the rushed editing job.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think a Photoshop/Paint thread of the next GRRM book cover would be perfect. I would start it but I suck at both of those things.

And yes, Martin's constant phrase recurrence is really annoying, but what is more annoying is his inability to describe things beyond using extremes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had a thought this morning: Maybe Bloodraven is warging* Coldhands? Coldhands seem to be helping Bloodraven. He got Bran et al to the cave.

* I hope it is ok to turn warg into a verb.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Coldhands is zombie Benjen.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

pigdog posted:

Coldhands is zombie Benjen.
Is this supported or are you just making poo poo up? Because it does sound plausible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is a hypothesis. There is no conclusive evidence.

Edit:

What made me think of warging Coldhands was two things: 1. There is a passage where Jon thinks about the wights and notices that the one who attacked Mormont knew where to go. Jon thinks that this is because they retain some knowledge of their past life. 2. Bloodraven a. was a member of the Black Watch and b. is nigh omniscient where ever there are ravens and wierwoods. So maybe the wights know where to go not because they remember their past life, but because the entity that is warging them knows where to go.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 21, 2011

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I mean it would be the most obvious way to wrap up the Benjen loose end. But Benjen had blue-grey eyes according to AGOT, and in ADWD it says:

"Coldhands stood beside the door, a raven on his arm, both staring at the fire. Reflections from the flames glittered off four black eyes."

Also what other language would Benjen Stark know? The Old Tongue maybe?

"It had been twelve days since the elk had collapsed for the third and final time, since Coldhands had knelt beside it in the snowbank and murmured a blessing in some strange tongue as he slit its throat."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
:haw: Has this been posted before?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"No body gently caress with THE MOUNTRAIN!"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Man, that scarred hosed up black cat that's been running around kings landing this whole time has clearly been planning this entire sequence of events and will be the one to kill zombie Gregor as revenge for his murdered mistress.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Decius posted:

It's pretty clear that Manderly had them murderd. And then served as pie.

Goddammit. I knew something had to be up with those loving pies, they made such a huge deal out of them. I figured Wylis had poisoned them or something, and then when nothing happened I forgot about them.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Does anyone have any idea what was up with naming every chapter something different? I get it for certain characters going through identity changes (Sansa/Alayne, Reek/Theon, Arya/No one) or dramatic purposes, not revealing who the POV is until later in the chapter.

But so many characters had random chapter names this time for seemingly no reason.

Asha: The Wayward Bride, The King's Prize, The Sacrifice
Quentin: The Merchant's Man, The Windblown, The Spurned Suitor, The Dragontamer
Victarion: The Iron Captain (AFFC), The Reaver (AFFC), The Iron Suitor, Victarion
Barristan Selmy: The Queensguard, The Kingbreaker, The Queen's Hand

I can't reconcile it with anything, and may be trying to make sense of nothing. Edit: When Victarion embraces R'ollo as a true god, his next chapter gets named his name instead of his title. :tinfoil:

Scoobi posted:

:haw: Has this been posted before?

I'm imagining the hand rolling down the lane still connected to the ball. Wait, is this a Kingpin reference?

Reo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 21, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Sexpansion posted:

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that this really is 100% based on the model of the historical tragedy and that none of the main characters are getting out in one piece. If the end of the series is a Hamlet style bloodbath I would not be at all shocked.

The very last chapter is gonna be Rickon showing his children around the crypts and pointing out all his brothers and sisters.

I've been convinced for awhile that Rickon's point in the story is his very insignificance. No one else is coming back, as he himself says, they're all gonna die or be turned into trees.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Thoguh posted:

Gratuitous sex in a fantasy series doesn't bother me, it's that, other than Jon and Dany (post rape Drogo), they tend to be really, really, really creepy gratuitous sex scenes. At least Dany and Daario, while pointless and showing her being a stupid teenager, wasn't creepy like Jayne & Theon and so many others.
The off-screen sex scene when Gregor raped the innkeeper's daughter was pretty good.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Eight year olds, ser

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Is john goodman little walder

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Reo posted:

Does anyone have any idea what was up with naming every chapter something different? I get it for certain characters going through identity changes (Sansa/Alayne, Reek/Theon, Arya/No one) or dramatic purposes, not revealing who the POV is until later in the chapter.

But so many characters had random chapter names this time for seemingly no reason.

Asha: The Wayward Bride, The King's Prize, The Sacrifice
Quentin: The Merchant's Man, The Windblown, The Spurned Suitor, The Dragontamer
Victarion: The Iron Captain (AFFC), The Reaver (AFFC), The Iron Suitor, Victarion
Barristan Selmy: The Queensguard, The Kingbreaker, The Queen's Hand

This started in AFFC with Arianne being the Princess in the Tower and a few other things and Areoh Hotah being Captain of the Guard. It's for dramatic effect, though I'm not sure I like it.

Also, either Bloodraven or one of the Children mention that Coldhands is very old or something like that. I don't think his identity is particularly important, but if he is indeed ex-Night's Watch it's more likely he's an old buddy of Bloodraven's than Benjen.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I always figured that the epithets as chapter names were meant to signify that the character isn't a major PoV - which makes the name choices for Melisandre's and Victarion's chapters rather interesting.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brannock posted:

I always figured that the epithets as chapter names were meant to signify that the character isn't a major PoV - which makes the name choices for Melisandre's and Victarion's chapters rather interesting.

This is what I thought too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He called Asha the Sacrifice and yet she was not sacrificed!

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
"Near enough to make no matter" is another one. I checked it out and it only made 3 appearances in Dance, but it felt like a lot more. Checking the other books, it doesn't show up at all in the first 3 but shows up twice in Feast.

This is partly why AFFC and ADWD feel so different from the first 3 books - the language and phrases and stuff are all different. There are a ton of phrases in Feast and Dance that are repeated several times in those books, but didn't show up at all in the first 3 books.

I sort of felt bad for being happy when Little Walder got dead at Winterfell, but not too bad. The little prick needed killing.

Reek posted:

Little Walder had become Lord Ramsay’s best boy and grew more like him every day, but the smaller Frey was made of different stuff and seldom took part in his cousin’s games and cruelties.

Interesting that Little Walder was actually Roose Bolton's brother-in-law, as Fat Walda was his sister.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

This started in AFFC with Arianne being the Princess in the Tower and a few other things and Areoh Hotah being Captain of the Guard. It's for dramatic effect, though I'm not sure I like it.

It was pretty awesome when Theon was actually finally called Theon.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

euphronius posted:

He called Asha the Sacrifice and yet she was not sacrificed!

I took that as a cheap attempt to build up suspense and get you to believe that Asha is about to be burned.

Also, upthread someone asked if the names like Eddard and Benjen bothered me like "serjeant" and "ser" do. They don't because they exist alongside all sorts of "weird" fantasy names like Aegon and Tyrion.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In book 6 Darkstar hooks up with Chella and no one in Westeros is getting out of this with both ears intact.

Then Zombie Gregor, Zombie Cat, and Zombie Jon all rise up against him and bite Darkstar, who, because GRRM loves defying conventions, dies from the bite, but DOESN'T resurrect.

Meanwhile, Bran wargs into Dany right as Daario is nailing her in the pooper, and he decides he never wants to warg again and all the weirwoods die, removing the Others' source of power.

Lastly, Tommen "Ralph Wiggum" Lannister appoints Ser Pounce to the Kingsguard in place of Kettleblack, and Sansa and Arya and Littlefinger raid King's Landing, and Tommen is beheaded by Ser Pounce in an ironic twist. We then find out Varys was behind the whole thing. Because Varys is actually the mad king Aerys Targaryen in disguise (we never saw them in the same place).

In fact all the Targaryens are alive. Except for Viserys. He's a zombie.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those interested, here's Gurm talking about Dance:
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/12/george-martin-talks-a-dance-with-dragons/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm kind of dreading Tommen's downfall and presumable death. He seems like a nice kid despite being the product of incest (also Myrcella). Hopefully Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers and Boots all escape at least.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just finished the book. The epilogue was awesome, good to see Varys willing to get his hands really, really dirty instead of just seemingly dirty.

Did anyone else feel like Dany's chapters in this book were like Brienne's chapters in the last book? She just kept loving up and doing nothing, over and over again, I just wanted her chapters to be over.

e: it was also super annoying that for the first quarter of the book, all of the viewpoint characters were like "Hey, remember the last time you saw me ten years ago? Let's relive that over and over again. :thumbsup:"

But it was a good book, and I'm still going to read the next one (there is no next one)

CzarStark fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 21, 2011

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Is there any significance in Victarions whore? The dusky lady? I haven't reread the series and I mostly had to check the wiki for character names and what they were. Five years is simply a too long time :(

I finished the book a couple of days ago and I still don't know what to think. I feel bad for wanting to skip the Tyrion chapters after Penny, Dany ones were poo poo, in the end I don't really know what I actually got out of the book.

I even tried to spoil the book to a friend but I couldn't get past "Jon dies", "Kevan dies". There just isn't more to spoil. loving hell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked Penny. :smith: It was refreshing to have a optimistic naive person in the midst of all of that cynical nihilism.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I like Martin's reaction to the first question here, about Jon Snow. "Oh so you think he's dead do you?".

I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks he is gone. The first chapter of the loving book goes on at great length about how wargs have a second life after their human bodies die. They even belabor the point further with Bran and the raven he possessed.

I mean, I completely missed the part about Lord Wyman serving up the Freys in the meat pies so I am prone to being oblivious at times, but overlooking this just seems way too dumb.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
One thing that I thought was kind of interesting that I don't think I've seen anyone mention was the second Jon chapter which included a conversation that he had with Sam from one of Sam's AFFC chapters. Having just reread AFFC I picked up on it pretty quickly and grabbed my copy of Feast to read along back and forth.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CzarStark posted:

Did anyone else feel like Dany's chapters in this book were like Brienne's chapters in the last book? She just kept loving up and doing nothing, over and over again, I just wanted her chapters to be over.
I think an overarching motif of the AFFC/ADWD superbook is people meaning well but not really sure what they're doing, and then bad poo poo happening because of their stubbornness or willful blindness. See Brienne, Jon, Dany. Hell, Connington pretty much spells it out when he reflects on his chance to capture/kill Robert during the rebellion, but failed to do so because he couldn't act with the single-minded purpose of someone like Tywin Lannister, and so his good-intentioned dithering cost him dearly.

Of course, this motif is boring as poo poo, so hopefully it's over with.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 21, 2011

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Just popping for a quick question.
Is young Griff the baby who was supposedly smashed against the wall? And what are the stone people, how do they move if they are stone, I feel like I missed something important, isn't Gray Plague supposed to make you immobile, not stoned, before you die?

Also holy poo poo the previous bad thread made realise how much he writes about food and rape, gently caress you, you ruined my reading experience.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Just popping for a quick question.
Is young Griff the baby who was supposedly smashed against the wall? And what are the stone people, how do they move if they are stone, I feel like I missed something important, isn't Gray Plague supposed to make you immobile, not stoned, before you die?

Also holy poo poo the previous bad thread made realise how much he writes about food and rape, gently caress you, you ruined my reading experience.

1) Yes
2) Lepers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone else find it funny that the joke theory of Tyrion being a secret Targ got a new pair of legs this book?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

HUMAN FISH posted:

I even tried to spoil the book to a friend but I couldn't get past "Jon dies", "Kevan dies". There just isn't more to spoil. loving hell.
Jon dies maybe. Kevan dies certainly. Quentyn Martell comes out of nowhere and dies really certainly. You will wish Dany died. You will also wish Barristan made someone die. Tywin Lannister di-...er, wait, that was two books ago, but you hear so much about it that it'll seem new. Jon Connington un-dies. Aegon really un-dies. A lot of people literally poo poo themselves to death.

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
Besides the two wights that were carried through the Wall and attacked Mormont in the first book, have any wights crossed the Wall? I remember Coldhands couldn't cross through the tunnel, but noone in the Watch besides Sam knew that.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I like how everyone laughs whenever Darkstar is mentioned.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HUMAN FISH posted:

I'm personally a fan of, "Lord Manderly eats his enemies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HUMAN FISH posted:

"Dany shits. Alot."