Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't played either version, but I'd get PS3 Vesperia for Asura Repede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I have no loving clue how to make comments on Siliconera so I'll just say it here

Abyss 3DS looks terrible and Luke's voice actor just sounds like another american to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megalixir posted:

Luke's voice actor just sounds like another american to me.
Yuri Lowenthal? He's pretty eh sometimes, but then he gets a role that he knocks out of the park, and he's never really bad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Who cares about Patty, though? I only want the PS3 version for Flynn.

I meant in the sense of Namco trying to sell us all that she was really part of the game from the start and wasn't just a throwaway character and blah blah blah lies.

Flynn at least exists and has a good role in Vesperia, though being able to have him in the party would indeed kick rear end. Flynn, Yuri, Rita, and anyone but Karol because he's too drat slow ugh: ultimate death.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Endorph posted:

Yuri Lowenthal? He's pretty eh sometimes, but then he gets a role that he knocks out of the park, and he's never really bad.

Yeah, that figures, and he's in practically every localized game within the last 10 years. I liked him as Yosuke, but I don't really pay attention to who voices what, it breaks the illusion of the game.

I don't see what the point is in recycling western voice actors. Seiyuu actually get games sold in Japan, like Vesperia's Nakahara as Estelle, Nagisa from Clannad, and Norio Wakamoto as Barbatos, Norio Wakamoto from Norio Wakamoto. Those are reasons to buy a game. I don't hear anyone going "oh hell yeah.. Liam o'brien!"

So there's at least a reason to recycle them in Japan, what is the reason to do so in localization?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That there aren't that many of them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Because, to be frank, there aren't that many English voice actors. At all. If someone's talented, of course they're going to be in everything, because there are like ten people, total, to choose from.

Also I totally buy games because of Liam O'Brien. :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

That there aren't that many of them?
Countries outside of the English sphere often have a well developed voice acting industry, because they are constantly having to dub English language TV and movies, because of Hollywood's immense influence over the world. Japan is typical in that respect.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That said, after seeing Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I'd buy a game if Norio Wakamoto was in it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Psion posted:

That said, after seeing Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I'd buy a game if Norio Wakamoto was in it.

Fun fact: he was the placeholder male voice for the nanosuit in the japanese version of Crysis 1.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

Because, to be frank, there aren't that many English voice actors. At all. If someone's talented, of course they're going to be in everything, because there are like ten people, total, to choose from.

Also I totally buy games because of Liam O'Brien. :colbert:
To be more specific there's only a small population of high profile voice actors who will consistently keep working for the low pay that the unions command. Unions in the west are the real problem ultimately. The guy who voiced Phelps in LA Noire, his first video game voice acting job, who did a very good job, came out of that gig pretty much saying the pay was dirt and he wasn't really sure why people do it. :V

There's actually quite a large and good voice acting population in the west, but money is a big problem. PC games developed in the west can usually tap much better talent since they plan for the voice acting up front, rather than after the fact when a game is localized. On that note, the PC game industry can sometimes be a lot more serious about localizations on high profile titles, which is kind of ironic really.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Coughing Hobo posted:

Fun fact: he was the placeholder male voice for the nanosuit in the japanese version of Crysis 1.

ARMORRURURURURURRURRRURRR :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6o6FAgVyI

MAKSHIMUM SHPEED

This guy sure gets around, doesn't he?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6o6FAgVyI

MAKSHIMUM SHPEED

This guy sure gets around, doesn't he?

If you stand in front of a recording studio mirror and say his name three times, he appears behind you and voices all the manliest or silliest characters on the production, depending on circumstances. But when he is done, everyone goes to jail.

It is a dark and Faustian pact.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I tried to play as everyone over subsequent play-throughs of Vesperia, I sucked with Judith, though I knew she could kick-rear end in the hands of a pro. I had some fun dicking around using Karol I think, Raven was fun too, but what I never expected, was how good Repede can be. I forgot the specifics, but once you used all his artes over 50 times or some poo poo to unlock their true potential (loved that in vesperia) I was kicking some serious rear end, or at least having loads of fun, it has been a year or two since I last played it...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Repede is probably the third best character in Vesperia. He's really really good without being overpowered like Yuri and Rita.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Apparently, the previously linked movies go along with explanations on the official ToX website. It comes as a bit of a relief, because before reading it, I thought Milla looked a bit dull. I'm going to go ahead and explain everything, because I'm bored at work! I apologize in advance for my wall of text. Maybe it'll be of use to someone when the demo comes out.

Anyway, it looks like the controls are going to be fun like Graces F could be on certain characters. Milla will cast a different spell based on how long you hold the button. For example, if you equip Fire Ball on a button, if you tap it you'll instantly cast Flare Bomb. On the other hand, if you hold it, you'll cast Fire Ball, as a traditional caster might. This reminds me of how Stan instantly cast magic in the air in ToD remake, but she can do it anywhere! This makes her feel a lot more playable to me. Her partner ability is Bind. We all knew about this one. I think she'll always cast it if her partner gets knocked down.

Jude's abilities are pretty straight forward. Avoid an attack by backstepping and you'll teleport behind the target. Right after the teleport, the enemy will be defenseless for a short period of time. Partner ability is Restore. He will teleport to his partner when the partner is knocked down. As in the video, he can also resurrect you this way.

Alvin is a bit like Milla. After performing an arte, if you continue holding the attack button, Alvin combines his gun and sword, and enters charge mode. While in charge mode, his artes change. The one you see in the video is majinken (Demon Fang) which charges to become kou majinken (Strong Demon Fang). His partner ability is Breaker. As the name implies, he can put forth an attack that guard breaks the enemy in one strike, making the enemy easier to attack.

Leia's ability is to lengthen her staff, as was mentioned before. Do so by dodging an attack by backstepping, like Jude. Her partner ability is Steal. She'll steal an item when an enemy is knocked down.

Elise has two modes for fighting. Tipo On mode and Tipo Off mode. Tipo on is when it's on her back. She can shoot little light balls. This mode makes her magical attack higher. Tipo Off mode is when Tipo flies around her. This increases her physical attack, and protects against attacks. Her partner ability is called Tipo Drain. Tipo will drain HP and TP from the target, and give it to the partner character.

Rowen's ability is post-casting tuning. After the spell goes off, you can alter the spell by pressing certain buttons. I think these need to be appropriately timed. You can see the x button or analogue stick button appear in the video. His partner ability is auto magic guard. He'll automatically use the well know Tales magic guard ability on himself and his partner when a spell is about to hit his partner.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Cool. This assuage a few concerns regarding the smaller cast, looks like the gameplay will be sufficiently interesting!

I'm really glad they're finally starting to expand beyond simple combinations and buttons. Milla really did look a bit boring in the videos. Also glad to see someone take the blind-side/sight out mechanic from SO4, hopefully in a refined form.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm playing Vesperia for the first time and the battle systems feels really slow and sluggish. Does it get any better as I get more skills? I'm just about to enter Nor Harbour. The boss battle before I died like 5 times before beating him (with only one party member left). Not to mention there seems to be a need to hit high, medium or low in what equates to a button mashing game which seems silly and frustrating.

Also nonskippable cut scenes make me want to murder the Tales of team with a chainsaw.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I'd say yes it gets better. Especially once you can start pulling off better combos. When I first started playing, my only knowledge of Tales was watching an LP of Symphonia, so from my perception Vesperia battles seemed less fluid for some reason. Attacking high or low matters on some enemies, but not many. It'll be obvious when it does matter and if it isn't, then just attack how you like.

The boss you're speaking of is well known for being improperly scaled and everyone has a hard time with it. When I first got to it, I actually reloaded my save to fight it again multiple times despite winning because I was convinced that I was doing something wrong. That wasn't the case. The boss is just a bitch. The rest of the game is more appropriately challenging. Actually I might say it's too easy once you get some of the better artes.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Adus posted:

I'd say yes it gets better. Especially once you can start pulling off better combos. When I first started playing, my only knowledge of Tales was watching an LP of Symphonia, so from my perception Vesperia battles seemed less fluid for some reason. Attacking high or low matters on some enemies, but not many. It'll be obvious when it does matter and if it isn't, then just attack how you like.

The boss you're speaking of is well known for being improperly scaled and everyone has a hard time with it. When I first got to it, I actually reloaded my save to fight it again multiple times despite winning because I was convinced that I was doing something wrong. That wasn't the case. The boss is just a bitch. The rest of the game is more appropriately challenging. Actually I might say it's too easy once you get some of the better artes.

That's good to hear. I was comparing the gameplay to Symphonia and Legendia or whatever that one was called.

Also watching the AI do a battle by themselves is depressing to watch.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In most of these games, in the regular non-boss battles, you can often get by (on regular difficulty) with just mashing attack attack attack special over and over again without really thinking or paying attention. Boss battles take a bit more thought, but the basic encounters rarely challenge you to explore the diversity of moves and characters available. The game is much more fun if you take your own initiative to mix up the combat by trying new moves/characters/combos even when it's perhaps not actually required to win.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

In most of these games, in the regular non-boss battles, you can often get by (on regular difficulty) with just mashing attack attack attack special over and over again without really thinking or paying attention. Boss battles take a bit more thought, but the basic encounters rarely challenge you to explore the diversity of moves and characters available. The game is much more fun if you take your own initiative to mix up the combat by trying new moves/characters/combos even when it's perhaps not actually required to win.

Definitely do this. Every time I get a new character I take them out for a spin for a few random encounters. Plowing through the game as just Yuri, Reid, Luke, whoever is basically like only trying one character in a fighting game. Go out there and try them all! Especially Judith and Rita in Vesperia. Those two are a ton of fun to play as but for totally different reasons. Repede is pretty fun too.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I tried playing Judith because people kept going on about how fun she was to play. I found it immensely frustrating. Maybe I just suck, but it felt incredibly awkward.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Judith can do some seriously impressive stuff but does have a major learning curve, I found.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That's the big problem I have with Judith. There's a steep learning curve for using her effectively, and it just feels like a waste of time. It doesn't help that most of her moves force the enemy up into the air and her allies cannot contribute any attacks to the combo.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I have no idea how to combo well. All the arts fall flat at the end and don't connect with an enemy afterwards. Then there is a bit of time where I can't do anything. Very unresponsive battle system really. Am I just not getting this gameplay or is there a trick to making your player character do what you want. I'm constantly executing attacks while facing the opposite direction of the mob because the character is so slow to turn around but instantly executes any artes I input.

Also gently caress Karol and his annoying rear end.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Judith is kind of a hassle to play until you get a lot of her late game skills, at which point she becomes by far my favorite character to use. If we get ToX I'm using Leia all the time.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yes, most of the things that allow effective combo-ing in Vesperia require learning the character skills that enable them first.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/21/namco-celebrate-tales-15th-anniversary-with-budget-re-releases-in-japan/

August for re-releases, now you can import Graces and Vesperia for the price of one.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

doomisland posted:

I have no idea how to combo well. All the arts fall flat at the end and don't connect with an enemy afterwards. Then there is a bit of time where I can't do anything. Very unresponsive battle system really. Am I just not getting this gameplay or is there a trick to making your player character do what you want. I'm constantly executing attacks while facing the opposite direction of the mob because the character is so slow to turn around but instantly executes any artes I input.

It's possible you're not getting it, but that's not entirely your fault. I noticed there's a pretty important gameplay mechanic that doesn't get explained very well, and that's enemy knockdown. Some arts knock an enemy onto its back, preventing you from continuing to combo it. Knockdowns have a couple uses, but for the most part you want to be able to keep attacking.

I'm pretty sure an early arte by Yuri does this. Azure Wolf Strike, I think? If you're trying to use that one, you might want to try something else. One of my favorite early combos is 3 attacks into destruction field then crushing eagle (or dragon swarm).

Adus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 23, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone hates Karol but I love the little guy. All he wants to do is become manly and use the biggest gently caress off weapons he can get his hands on. He hits like a truck, too.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
When I saw Karol in the intro, I immediately thought "He's gonna be the typical annoying little kid" but he grew on me after he showed up. Repede is my favorite though, he's always in the battle party when possible.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

doomisland posted:

I completely disagree with people who dislike Karol. He was an essential part of my team. Specifically, he was the healer. Estelle was just way to slow with her healing, and I never found her that useful outside of healing. Karol could do damage and do a good job at healing both HP and ailments.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Megalixir posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/21/namco-celebrate-tales-15th-anniversary-with-budget-re-releases-in-japan/

August for re-releases, now you can import Graces and Vesperia for the price of one.

Well thanks, this has sold me on importing Graces F. Awesome.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Nevermind. The actual site claims it's a special sleeve and custom Xillia theme. Siliconera hosed up.

http://tox.namco-ch.net/campaign/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

kthegreat posted:

I completely disagree with people who dislike Karol. He was an essential part of my team. Specifically, he was the healer. Estelle was just way to slow with her healing, and I never found her that useful outside of healing. Karol could do damage and do a good job at healing both HP and ailments.

Holy poo poo, someone actually agrees with me! I used Estelle as my healer for my first playthrough, but on later playthrough on Hard, I found that she wasn't nearly reliable enough and died on Barbos three times. I swapped her out for Karol, beat Barbos on my next attempt and never looked back.

Karol is actually a really good healer.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, someone actually agrees with me! I used Estelle as my healer for my first playthrough, but on later playthrough on Hard, I found that she wasn't nearly reliable enough and died on Barbos three times. I swapped her out for Karol, beat Barbos on my next attempt and never looked back.

Karol's AI just seems to heal a lot better than Estelle's too, Estelle has the tendency to use stuff like Nightingale that's expensive on TP when only one character is hurt.

Megalixir posted:

Disappointing, but expected that Namco chose to rerelease Phantasia FVE instead of releasing the newer Phantasia remake that's included in Narikiri Dungeon for the PSP.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I thought Raven was the best healer. His heal doesn't heal for a lot but it's instant cast, heals 3 people and doesn't rely on positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, in my Barbos example, Raven didn't know Love Shot yet, so my options were Estelle or Karol. Karol's AI is actually pretty awesome, his Artes have no cast time and they always heal him too.

Karol is actually pretty hard to kill. He also hits like a truck and I don't really like Raven in combat.