Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Coredump posted:

I started out on a GS500 which I think would be a better idea to start out on. Even a Ninja 500 would be a better idea. However even with my GS500 being forgiving on the throttle and all I didn't start to build up confidence in cornering and all that until I got my SV650 with the better suspension. Going back to my older brother's GS500 I realize just how much those bikes feel like they "fall over" in a turn where as on my SV650 its a much more deliberate action that I feel I have more control over. I think one of the first things I want to do to my brother's bike is to fit a wider rear wheel and see what effect that has on the handling.

Is there not much aftermarket for the GS500? I've only had my SV650 for a couple months and I'm replacing the rear shock with one off a ZX-10 this weekend and the forks are getting a drop-in kit from Traxxion. I've only ever ridden SV650s so I don't know what other bikes are like, but the SV's suspension is undersprung for my weight and only has preload adjustment anyway so it doesn't seem that great compared to other sport bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

"[panic posted:

"]
Why? Is it a violation of unwritten motorcycle law to enjoy bigger bikes? Go spend a day on a 250cc cruiser and tell me how much fun you had, relative to whatever you are riding now.

Not at all. I've got a Street Triple R in the garage, but I spend most of my time on the road riding a Honda VTR250 - pretty similar power and torque figures to the Ninja but without a fairing or a sixth gear. There just seems to be this huge (or at least hugely vocal) section of motorcyclists who're only obsessed with numbers and won't ride a smaller bike because they think it's beneath them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

King Nothing posted:

Is there not much aftermarket for the GS500? I've only had my SV650 for a couple months and I'm replacing the rear shock with one off a ZX-10 this weekend and the forks are getting a drop-in kit from Traxxion. I've only ever ridden SV650s so I don't know what other bikes are like, but the SV's suspension is undersprung for my weight and only has preload adjustment anyway so it doesn't seem that great compared to other sport bikes.

In some ways there's not a lot of aftermarket for the GS500's, not nearly compared to say a GSXR600 or SV650. However due to the benefit of a GS being a Suzuki its not too hard to drop in Katana forks in the front and a SV650 shock is supposed to bolt in the back.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This guy makes a compelling case. I'm sold.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Shoei Qwest vs Shoei XR-1100 (a.k.a RF-1100)?

I don't see much difference apart from price. The Qwest is 60 USD cheaper, which is probably what I'll get.

A helmet is a helmet*. Right?

*buckets/jugs do not count.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I like having powerful bikes, they're fun. When you're on a one lane highway and theres that pesky prius or idiot tourist enjoying the view it's nice to be able to pass them in a very short time and distance on a 100+ HP bike.

That being said I enjoy flogging my GS500 as well. No ones saying a less powerful bike can't be fun, but it's nice to have that power reserve.

I averaged 32.5 mpg on the GSX-R 1000 today, not bad considering my 636 gets 37mpg.

a 636 with a leaky valve cover as 12k is kinda weird, I mean if he decided to check the valve clearances early I guess it could leak if he mangled up the gasket good.

If it isn't leaking anymore i'd offer around what z3n suggested, wouldn't go over 4.3k

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Odette posted:

Shoei Qwest vs Shoei XR-1100 (a.k.a RF-1100)?

I don't see much difference apart from price. The Qwest is 60 USD cheaper, which is probably what I'll get.

A helmet is a helmet*. Right?
Which one fits better? If it costs $60 for a better fit, then that's the one you want.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This guy makes a compelling case. I'm sold.

AGs are really cool, I love the stock racks and super low gearing. Fantastic trail bikes.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Shouting Melon posted:

There just seems to be this huge (or at least hugely vocal) section of motorcyclists who're only obsessed with numbers and won't ride a smaller bike because they think it's beneath them.

Outside this forum, sure, there are plenty of jerks who think that way, but I don't think there are many people here who would say that the smaller bikes are beneath them. Some of us, myself included, are just not comfortable on smaller bikes. I'm 6'2", 300lbs, with a 32 inch inseam and damaged disks in my lower back. I've sat on a lot of smaller bikes, and I just don't fit right on most of them. My wife has a LS650 (small, low cruiser with a 650cc single cylinder engine) that I really like, but I can't ride it without sitting halfway on the pillion part of the seat - my legs and torso are just too long to sit comfortably on the bike. The smaller bikes are great motorcycles, but they are not always the best choice for everyone.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 22, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KARMA! posted:

You don't outgrow bikes! Arghhhh

I disagree. :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
How does a dude that big find a polo shirt he can actually put on that looks like that. jesus christ

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Better yet, how the hell did he make it between those two trucks!?

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
I want to see video of how the hell he manages to get on that bike. Does he have a crane lower him onto it?

Raven457 posted:

I'm 6'2", 300lbs, with a 32 inch inseam and damaged disks in my lower back.

So what's comfortable for you?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Raven457 posted:

I'm 6'2", 300lbs, with a 32 inch inseam and damaged disks in my lower back.

If it helps at all, I'm 6'2" 270 (picture a regular build, but enlarged) with a 34" inseam as well as 2 slipped disks at L2 and L3 and I was extremely comfortable on my old 07 SV650SF and marginally less comfortable on my Daytona 675 which are both sporty seatings. I've found that leaning forward, while it's not necessarily super comfortable kinda takes a little bit of stress off of the lumbar when hitting bumps etc as opposed to being straight up and down (I feel the bumps more if I'm sitting straight riding with one hand for example).

Just my .02, to each his own.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

If it helps at all, I'm 6'2" 270 (picture a regular build, but enlarged) with a 34" inseam as well as 2 slipped disks at L2 and L3 and I was extremely comfortable on my old 07 SV650SF and marginally less comfortable on my Daytona 675 which are both sporty seatings. I've found that leaning forward, while it's not necessarily super comfortable kinda takes a little bit of stress off of the lumbar when hitting bumps etc as opposed to being straight up and down (I feel the bumps more if I'm sitting straight riding with one hand for example).

A friend of mine has a similar injury and loves her GSX-R1000 as a result. She also races a Ninja 250.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

"[panic posted:

"]
How does a dude that big find a polo shirt he can actually put on that looks like that. jesus christ

Well, he clearly knocked the Dodge's rear end about 5 feet to the right on his way through. :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=299714703

Please tell me this is a really really bad idea.

Please.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
That is an awesome idea, what are you talking about??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ziploc posted:

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=299714703

Please tell me this is a really really bad idea.

Please.

I think they're decent little bikes. Keep in mind that's a US spec bike, not that it should make much of a difference.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Which one fits better? If it costs $60 for a better fit, then that's the one you want.

They're both pretty much the same :v:

Anyway, I've been told by the online retailer that per their supply agreement with Shoei, they're not allowed to sell any of Shoei's helmets to non-US citizens. :colbert: Time to find another helmet.

The only reason I'm looking for a new helmet is because I've lost about 20kg and my current helmet is fairly loose and I've got a tiny bit of cash to spend on protecting my head.

Might see if I can try this one on tomorrow.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

"[panic posted:

"]
That is an awesome idea, what are you talking about??

Shutup shutup. I don't want to have to buy a bike in questionable condition (even though it is cheap rare and exactly the bike I was looking for) under a deadline like that where the seller will be moving far away.

Damnit!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Yeah but you do get bored with them.

Bored != outgrow but that is exactly how newbies will interpret it, but you know this already.

slidebite posted:

I disagree. :colbert:

At least he's smart enough not to ride something that he can't handle. :colbert:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ziploc posted:

Shutup shutup. I don't want to have to buy a bike in questionable condition (even though it is cheap rare and exactly the bike I was looking for) under a deadline like that where the seller will be moving far away.

Damnit!

What the hell, just buy it.

..You can always sell it! :q:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

Bored != outgrow but that is exactly how newbies will interpret it, but you know this already.

At least he's smart enough not to ride something that he can't handle. :colbert:

Nah, he outgrew that bike already. :rimshot:

saladin
Jan 31, 2009

Hey pussy
I've been toying with the idea of switching up from my 656cc Bandit for a while, but can't seem to find a bike that suits me. I drive my bike nearly every day to work, but like to do long trips in the Summer months, two-up with my girlfriend.

I'm looking for something with a bit of muscle, good handling, comfortable rider and pillion seats. I tried a Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 and liked it a lot. That big V-twin engine was a lot a fun and sounded fantastic. What put me off was the fact that it was a Guzzi, with reputedly poor resale value.

Has anyone got any suggestions of similar bikes?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

kylej posted:

Nah, he outgrew that bike already. :rimshot:

Hot dang.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Looking at a separate Ninja 636 tomorrow - same silver color, but no history of leaky valve gasket. 11,500 miles w/ PC and Jardine exhaust, apparently excellent shape.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Anyone have any thoughts on the Ducati Diavel vs. the HD Night Rod Special?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

BaronW posted:

So what's comfortable for you?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sanchezz explained the positioning perfectly. There's just too much stress and shock from the suspension that's loaded directly into my spine if I'm sitting upright. Sitting upright in a lot of chairs causes me problems too. I also get a lot of pain sitting in a car for hours on end, which if you think about it, is really similar to how the ergos are on a cruiser - more or less upright, legs and arms out in front of you. 6 hours in the car leaves me taking pain medication and being in pain the rest of the evening. 6 hours on the ST leaves me a bit stiff from not moving most of the day, but I am still able to get up, walk around, and not be miserable.

The ST1300 had aftermarket risers on it when I bought it (1 inch up, 2 inch back). I liked them when I bought the bike, but my first 2 hour ride had me in agony. I couldn't figure it out until I rode my ST for a couple hours one morning and then immediately sat on a different ST without the risers. I ripped them off as soon as I could get my hands on a replacement stock riser plate and have been happier ever since.

Other bikes I've been comfy on so far have been the ST1100, Concourse, DL650, GS850 (with drag bars), and the Victory Vision (it's the only big bagger that's worked for me :iiam:). I want a Goldwing GL1800, but I'm not really sure it will work longterm since the seating position is much more upright on that bike. Pretty much if it's not a standard or a sport tourer, the ergonomics just don't work out for more than about a half hour or so. It sucks too, because there are some pretty nice cruisers and lots of sport bikes that I wouldn't mind owning.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 24, 2011

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Thinking about making a bobber project out of a Suzuki s40. I'm 6'1" and ~190lbs. Not enough bike?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Should be fine for just cruising around. I'm 6'2" and ~265, and I've taken 100+ mile tours on a Honda Twinstar.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
What do you guys think about a 1990 ninja 600 for $500? Ad says carbs could use some cleaning but engine is strong. Haven't gotten a reply back for any recent maintenance. Looking at nada there seems to be a big difference between the zx-6 and the 600r, is there any way to tell by looking at the posted pic? Anything to watch for in these besides the usual stuff?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ducati Diavel vs. the HD Night Rod Special?

Ones loud like a persistent fart and comfy
Ones loud like an angry beast and fast and comfy

One will get you gilfs and cause you to ride 10 under the speed limit in the AARP land train
One comes with a star bucks card and a years fake tan spray

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
So I need some advice about buying a bike from a dealer, figured this was a better place to ask it than the question thread.

The bike in question is a 2011 ZX-10r. The last bike I purchased was from a Kawasaki dealer about 15 miles from my house. They have one in stock for MSRP minus a $500 financing deal, minus 200 off for being a returning customer, plus a free pair of frame sliders and the first 2 maintenance intervals free of charge. It's my understanding that this is a great deal and I'd be a fool to pass it up if the bike was everything I wanted.

This is where the snag comes in. They have 2 bikes on their showroom floor, a black one and a green one. The black one has been sold, I hate the Kawi green color, and they say they won't have any more ZX-10rs in stock till next year's batch. This is where I begin to feel conflicted. Kawasaki of Burbank less than 2 miles from me has a black, non-ABS version in stock and I'm hoping I can get that dealer to match the others price save for the sliders.

My question is this for those of you that have experiences dealing with these kind of situations. Should I just suck it up and go with the green? I have a relationship with this dealer, he knows me, gives me discounts of up to 20% on gear instead of the usual 10, same with services, and is just an all around pleasant person to do business with. A good salesman. I'm pretty set on this bike and I don't think I'd want a different one but I'm not going to go months without a motorcycle. I've been bikeless for less than a month and it's already got me going through major withdrawals. The other dealer definitely lacks tact in sales as it's painfully apparent that he only cares about the bottom line(as opposed to hiding it well behind great deals.) I don't have a doubt that if he did match their offer(which I do have doubts about) I'd get reamed another way like the financing percentage to make up for how much I saved on the bike.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Probably Hates You posted:

So I need some advice about buying a bike from a dealer, figured this was a better place to ask it than the question thread.

The bike in question is a 2011 ZX-10r...

I can't say specially for bike dealerships, but I used to be a car salesman and we made trades for new cars at other dealerships all the time. Maybe the shop you prefer can do the same. Speaking from experience, it sucks to lose a sale, but having you as a customer for maintenance is still nice.

Edit: Also that's a lot of $$$ to spend and not get what you want. Just my 2 cents

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 25, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Edit: Also that's a lot of $$$ to spend and not get what you want. Just my 2 cents

That's my thoughts exactly. I don't want to spend that much money and then end up resenting a purchase because it isn't exactly what I want. You give some solid insights, how would one go about starting a trade?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Does the green one have abs and the black one not? That'd be the determining factor for me. It should get replacement track fairings anyways :v:

M, that looks like a zx6c. Its the cheaper one, not the nicer zx6d model. Could be a fun little project if its in good cosmetic shape for resale. What would be the plan for it?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 24, 2011

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Probably Hates You posted:

That's my thoughts exactly. I don't want to spend that much money and then end up resenting a purchase because it isn't exactly what I want. You give some solid insights, how would one go about starting a trade?

If bike dealerships can do trades, it would be on them to do it. Just say you really like that shop and want to give them your business but the other one has the right bike and ask if they can just trade bikes or something.

Z3n: Just to have a bike to ride to and from work mostly. probably street fighter it as I really like naked bikes.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 24, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Z3n posted:

Does the green one have abs and the black one not? That'd be the determining factor for me. It should get replacement track fairings anyways :v:

No, they're both not equipped with ABS. And it will be equipped with track fairings but it will also be ridden on the street. I was inspired by the R6 thread where the poster created a rideable trackbike and that's what I plan on doing with it(thread included.) I could probably sell off the green plastics when I put the track trim on and use the profit to buy a set of black fairings now that I think about it. I had originally thought about trading them on CL for a black set as well.

If bike dealerships can do trades, it would be on them to do it. Just say you really like that shop and want to give them your business but the other one has the right bike and ask if they can just trade bikes or something.

I'll definitely bring that up with the closer dealer on tuesday when they open. I'm hoping they'll say yes as I would probably be going to them for service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Z3n: Just to have a bike to ride to and from work mostly. probably street fighter it as I really like naked bikes.

Those older 600s tend to be pretty ugly when you drop the fairings. Have you considered an older 1000cc twin? Better for street use.

Probably, if that's the case I'd definitely see about the dealership trading.

Also if you're gonna make a trackbike, I'd strongly recommend a pre-prepped gsxr 750. You can find some very nicely built ones for around 5k, if you want traction control you can slap on a bazzaz unit. Best of both worlds, good power for street, manageable power on track. The zx10 is going to be serious business on the track and you'll learn faster and have more fun on something smaller displacement. Plus they'll have spent all the money on the needed suspension upgrades and tuning.