Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

DragonWC99 posted:

I'm looking for a really nice Juicer! Any recommendations?

Anyone with Consumer Reports help me out?

Mark McGwire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Ragman posted:

A while back I started this thing where I only drink water (and sometimes milk, green tea, orange juice, but pretty much only that). I started it around the time I started running more.

I bought a refillable water bottle from Wal-Mart, but it leaves a metallic taste in my mouth and I want something of higher quality. Does anyone know of a good brand to buy, possibly off Amazon? I don't want to re-use a plastic water bottle over and over, because I heard that's bad for you. I also don't want to constantly buy new water bottles, because that is an unnecessary expense and tap water is better for your teeth anyway since it has more fluoride.

Get a Nalgene. They are like :10bux: and bombproof.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

Ideally I would like at least to be carrying my wallet and keys, but I don't want to use pockets.

I know Nike makes a little key pocket that you can secure to your shoe laces - it'll probably fit some bills and coins too.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

rawrr posted:

I know Nike makes a little key pocket that you can secure to your shoe laces - it'll probably fit some bills and coins too.

Running shorts aren't hard to find with a key pocket built into the waistband. All I take with me is the house key and my small mp3 player.

You really don't need a wallet or your full set of keys or any other junk.

Bruciwayna
Apr 2, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

lidnsya posted:

This is probably something you might like:

http://joby.com/gorillapod/original/

I know they sell them at Staples in Canada.

Would those be able to handle a heavy camera without breaking?

Nevermind I saw the tabs for different weight limits, 99.99 for a good gorillapod, hm...

Bruciwayna has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Jul 15, 2011

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

DragonWC99 posted:

I'm looking for a really nice Juicer! Any recommendations?

Anyone with Consumer Reports help me out?

Keep in mind that CR generally lags behind about a model generation on their recommendations, especially for poo poo they review rarely (like juicers).

Having said that, they like this one for price/performance:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-67650-Mouth-Extractor/dp/B000FHQJ6C
And the "Juiceman Pro JM503" model tops the list. I don't see that model currently available from Amazon, but this one looks close although it's $70 cheaper than the list price in the CR review:
http://www.amazon.com/Juiceman-JM550S-Wide-Mouth-Automatic-Extractor/dp/B004T0BJK2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1310742051&sr=8-7

They HATE the Jack LaLanne & Waring models. The latter surprised me as Waring is king of the hill for commercial blenders.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

The Light Eternal posted:

Get a Nalgene. They are like :10bux: and bombproof.
Not freezer proof, though.

To be fair, it had been frozen and unfrozen many times before it blew like that. I suspect the pressure weakened the bottle over time. It was a pretty loud bang when it went.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vector 7 posted:

Not freezer proof, though.

To be fair, it had been frozen and unfrozen many times before it blew like that. I suspect the pressure weakened the bottle over time. It was a pretty loud bang when it went.

That's your own fault for filling it up all the way. Never go more than 2/3 full.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Looking for a good vacuum cleaner that is under $100.00. This will be for an average one bedroom apartment. Carpet in living room/bedroom. The two I've narrowed it down to on amazon are:

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-3276BV...d=2KWCXGEGF0PJN

and

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Cleanview-Upright-Cleaner-82H1/dp/B00284BM3A/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FW1JL127UN3K&colid=2KWCXGEGF0PJN

Are either of these good? Any recommendation for something better?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Don't know anything about Bissell, but the Eureka I originally had (It was around $100 or so at Target) and just tossed was a PoS. Granted, it was a cheap vacuum, but it didn't work well at all. I prefer Dirt Devil for cheap vacuums. I had a really small one in Florida. It was loud but sucked up drat near anything and was super easy to clean. unfortunately, my roommate destroyed it.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Does anyone know of a good site to order contact lenses online, with possible shipping to Canada?

I don't wear them that often, but I'm guessing they would probably be cheaper like that at and maybe come in pretty colours :swoon:

rim.jobs webmaster
Feb 4, 2010

Are there any CFL bulbs that are actually dimmable? The one I have now was marketed as dimmable, but at the lowest dimmer setting it's 80% as bright as full power. With my old incandescent bulb, it was more like 5% full power.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Dacap posted:

Just to back this up, Crest Pro Health is awful. It leaves this bitterness on my tongue for the whole day after use. I looked it up online and some people even reported numbness on their tongue and it affecting their taste.

Yep, Crest Pro Health is the devil's piss and I'm surprised it's still being sold.

http://www.amazon.com/Crest-PRO-HEALTH-Rinse-500-ml/product-reviews/B000BS6VWC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

255 reviews, 226 of them are one star. I stopped using it after a couple of days because I didn't like whatever the hell it was doing to my taste buds, luckily because so many people who persist with it seem to end-up with permanently stained teeth.

Lot 49 has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Jul 17, 2011

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!
Can anyone recommend a store, preferably online, that I can purchase a wide variety of slouchy beanies? They're my favorite part of the fall :) but I've lost all of mine :(
Looking for hats similar to Mr. Beckham's hat:

Also, here's a recommendation for all of you cat owners:
The Omega Paw Self-Cleaning litterbox is the best effing thing I've ever bought for my kitties. It's so easy to clean...like, amazingly easy. I prefer this so much more over the mechanical cleaning boxes

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DK2DU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

lidnsya posted:

This is probably something you might like:

http://joby.com/gorillapod/original/

I know they sell them at Staples in Canada.

These do look pretty sweet - thanks!! Now all I have to do is weigh my camera with all it's doodads on it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

cannonballs posted:

The Omega Paw Self-Cleaning litterbox is the best effing thing I've ever bought for my kitties. It's so easy to clean...like, amazingly easy. I prefer this so much more over the mechanical cleaning boxes

I have one of these too, and I like it a lot. Be warned that if you let it go too long without cleaning it, it will punish you (the more urine that builds up, the less easy it is to get out of there), but that's what you get for being a bad cat parent, isn't it?

That said, I much prefer it to the old treasure-hunt method of litterbox cleaning. If you are responsible enough to remember to clean it within a reasonable amount of time, it is really easy. It's also not too expensive, so it's a nice compromise if you're like me and you can't afford one of those awesome kitty rocketships like all the cool goons have.

Also throwing in a recommendation for World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn so it's biodegradable and it's not stinky and you don't have to worry if your cat licks it off his toes like with clay litters. Also seems to contain odor pretty well too. It's good stuff!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Silverfish and cockroaches will try to eat that litter though, so if you're having problems with bugs it isn't the best choice.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
My cat refuses to use the litter robot (no idea why...maybe doesn't like climbing up to it?), but is fine with the omega paws. The omega paws works pretty great other than not being completely automated.

I bought a Litter Locker to go along with it,which I would also recommend.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

cannonballs posted:

Adding in that I have this one as well, and it's pretty nice. I usually flip it over once a day, and it keeps it the smell down. About once a month or a little longer I'll take it outside and hose it off to get some of the built up stuff out.

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!

cannonballs posted:

Can anyone recommend a store, preferably online, that I can purchase a wide variety of slouchy beanies? They're my favorite part of the fall :) but I've lost all of mine :(
Looking for hats similar to Mr. Beckham's hat:

It is not quite the same style as Davey Becks, but BMC Headwear is one brand that I love.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

uapyro posted:

Adding in that I have this one as well, and it's pretty nice. I usually flip it over once a day, and it keeps it the smell down. About once a month or a little longer I'll take it outside and hose it off to get some of the built up stuff out.

I've heard that fussier cats don't like these and they're not great for multiple cat homes because it essentially rubs kitty poo and pee odor all over the inside of the box.

It's like taking a poo in your bathroom, if your walls were covered in remnants of your own feces and urine.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Obscurity posted:

Looking for a good vacuum cleaner that is under $100.00. This will be for an average one bedroom apartment. Carpet in living room/bedroom. The two I've narrowed it down to on amazon are:

and

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Cleanview-Upright-Cleaner-82H1/dp/B00284BM3A/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FW1JL127UN3K&colid=2KWCXGEGF0PJN

I got one like this from Kmart or something for around $50. If it's all carpet you're good to go, it's awful on hardwood/hard floors though (just throws poo poo around). The filter is also cleanable. You'll need to clean in once in while though to keep it working well. Mine has been working strong for about 2 years now.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-LightSpeed-Upright-Bagless-4700D/dp/B0009WRKSE/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1311049412&sr=1-10

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

thepitgoddess posted:

I've heard that fussier cats don't like these and they're not great for multiple cat homes because it essentially rubs kitty poo and pee odor all over the inside of the box.

It's like taking a poo in your bathroom, if your walls were covered in remnants of your own feces and urine.

I have two cats, both are quite large, and I have not had this problem at all. I will say that it works best with clumping litter, like Fresh Step. I recently tried this wood-shaving type litter, but this box doesn't work as well with it. I've been extremely satisfied with my fancy new cat shitter so far.

EDIT: thanks for the BMC headwear recommendation - it's perfect :)

incur
May 17, 2004
if you're not wasted, your day is.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Does anyone know of a good site to order contact lenses online, with possible shipping to Canada?

I don't wear them that often, but I'm guessing they would probably be cheaper like that at and maybe come in pretty colours :swoon:

I've used both https://www.clearlycontacts.ca and https://www.globallens.com with great success. Both ship super fast and are located in Canada.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Does anyone have any recommendations for razor blades for this kind of razor?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

thepitgoddess posted:

I have 3 cats, 2 of them larger breeds, and they have no issues sharing a box together. One of them is a little fussy, and he doesn't mind it. I guess it helps that I clean it every day instead of every 3 or so days when I was lazy. I do use about 2" of the walmart brand of the fresh step with the odor eliminating crystals.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Im That One Guy posted:

Feather. If you're new to a DE razor, they may be a bit sharp for you, but with practice you will wonder how you used any other blade.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Obscurity posted:

and

I've got the Bissell you linked, and so far it's my second favorite out of any that I've used. There's a Sharp or some odd brand of vacuum that my parents have that would suck anything that'd fit up, and not complain about it.

The only down side I've noticed about my Bissell is how often I have to empty it; I take it as a good sign that it's sucking a lot up. I'd say for every room I cleaned, I'd have to empty it. That's coming from a room shared with 3 cats who shed somewhat.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

uapyro posted:

I've got the Bissell you linked, and so far it's my second favorite out of any that I've used. There's a Sharp or some odd brand of vacuum that my parents have that would suck anything that'd fit up, and not complain about it.

The only down side I've noticed about my Bissell is how often I have to empty it; I take it as a good sign that it's sucking a lot up. I'd say for every room I cleaned, I'd have to empty it. That's coming from a room shared with 3 cats who shed somewhat.

Bissel also make a carpet washing type dealy for a decent price that I have - which is perfect for dealing with the occasional cat-sick stain or coffee stain (if you get to it on time). I have used it to freshen up really awful ten year old carpet that had like 5 kids grow up on it. (and throw up too by the looks of it). It isn't as powerful as the steam based ones or the carpet genies you hire but I got mine for under 200 and it's handy to have around. Gets an amazing amount of cat hair out of the carpet but really does not like long carpet or carpet that is quite frayed (it gets stuck in the rollers).

When I go over the carpet from the front door the water coming out of it is pitch black, bleck. I live with slobs who've never heard of a no-shoes policy much less wiping their loving boots before they stomp on in. If you live with slobs you might consider it a useful tool! It gets the carpet pretty dang dry too nearly as dry as when I've had it steam cleaned. But it is a loving LOUD cleaner and holyjesus does it ever take a long time to clean a tiny bit of carpet.

Probably the more expensive ones are better but hell it's cost vs usage compared to pro-jobs I guess.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Im That One Guy posted:

If you are new, get a sample pack. Not all blades are made equal, and not all faces are equal. A good blade for one person might be a terrible blade for you. That said, there are several brands which come recommended to try.

Derby
Personna - Medical / Laboratory
Personna - Israeli manufactured Reds
Feather
Astra
Shark

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Tambaloneus posted:

Bissel also make a carpet washing type dealy for a decent price that I have - which is perfect for dealing with the occasional cat-sick stain or coffee stain (if you get to it on time). I have used it to freshen up really awful ten year old carpet that had like 5 kids grow up on it. (and throw up too by the looks of it). It isn't as powerful as the steam based ones or the carpet genies you hire but I got mine for under 200 and it's handy to have around. Gets an amazing amount of cat hair out of the carpet but really does not like long carpet or carpet that is quite frayed (it gets stuck in the rollers).

Probably the more expensive ones are better but hell it's cost vs usage compared to pro-jobs I guess.

That sort of sounds like the "steam cleaner" I have. You mix the cleaning solution with hot water, which in my case is about 130 degrees, spray it out, and vacuum it up.

Even though it doesn't heat the water, and normally by the time I'm actually where I need to clean it's down to around a hundred degrees, the amount of stuff it removes is amazing. I had a koolaid packet accidentally spilled, and ground into the floor (the mix, not the liquid) and it actually turned into a hard candy like substance. It took 2 or 3 passes, but it got it out so good that you could never tell what was there before. It does really well with cat stains, mainly puke, as well. I used some of the liquid for pet odors, and it really did make a difference with old cat urine as well.

Link to similar one:
http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-QuickSteamer-Multi-Surface-Upright-2090/dp/B000IHNMI2

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I need a coffee table that will go in front of a loveseat. It must have something (either cabinets or a shelf) underneath it to keep my retarded dog from walking under it.

(Seriously, my dog actually bruised a disc in his back from banging it on the edge of our current coffee table. He has cerebral palsy so I can forgive him for this, but we still have to accommodate him.)

Anyway, we now need a second coffee table and would like something that's not too expensive but holds up well.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Any recommendations on decent in ear headphones for outdoor running? If it matters, I have really large ears/ears canal, and the iPhone headphones fall out once I start running.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Progression Please posted:

Any recommendations on decent in ear headphones for outdoor running? If it matters, I have really large ears/ears canal, and the iPhone headphones fall out once I start running.

iPhone earbuds are pretty much crap. I really like these:

Sennheiser CX380

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

rockcity posted:

Feather. If you're new to a DE razor, they may be a bit sharp for you, but with practice you will wonder how you used any other blade.

I prefer Derby myself. I better considering i'm only 1/4 way through the 100 blade pack I bought last December.

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies

Progression Please posted:

I have massive problems with earbuds falling out, but for the opposite reason. My ears are kind of small. That being said I think these from sony will fit big ears as well and they're stupid cheap. I've had 3 or 4 pairs of the same exact model and used them collectively for like 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000092YR6

That being said, I recently decided to see what else was out there and tried a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005N6KG

They seem pretty good. Definitely no problems with them falling out of my ears since they have the part that goes over your head. I think I still prefer the others but honestly at $12 a pair you can't go wrong just to try them out. There's no reason to drop a ton of money on headphones for running if you don't need to for fit reasons.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
The headphone jack on my phone died so I'm in the market for a NON-apple mp3 player. Preferably something between 8-16gb, 100-200$ AUD and no bigger than a full wallet, as I usually go running. Unfortunately no-one stocks creative ZENs in Australia any more and I'm looking for something more recent anyway.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

XTimmy posted:

The headphone jack on my phone died so I'm in the market for a NON-apple mp3 player. Preferably something between 8-16gb, 100-200$ AUD and no bigger than a full wallet, as I usually go running. Unfortunately no-one stocks creative ZENs in Australia any more and I'm looking for something more recent anyway.

Probably the best bang for the buck mp3 player you can get for size / storage / sq wise. You can also drop in a memory card to expand the size.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311595090&sr=8-2

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Etrips posted:

Probably the best bang for the buck mp3 player you can get for size / storage / sq wise. You can also drop in a memory card to expand the size.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311595090&sr=8-2

I have owned one of these for almost 2 years now, and I've never had a problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any good, comfortable, rechargable (!) Bluetooth Headphones?

• Locked thread