Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I just noticed that some of the weapon costs on the chart are different to the list costs, and that some of them seem to be using the wrong multipliers.

Which values are correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

I just noticed that some of the weapon costs on the chart are different to the list costs, and that some of them seem to be using the wrong multipliers.

The correct values, as stored in the fighter creation database, are available here:

http://www.arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_rules.php

Oh, and by the way...

:siren: :siren: :siren: ALL 128 SLOTS ARE TAKEN!!!! YOU MAY NOW BUILD YOUR FIGHTERS ON THE SITE!!!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Late stragglers may still have a chance to earn a spot in the tournament via Battle Royale, if Vox Nihili is still willing! Post in this thread stating your interest to do so, if your fighter didn't make it into the tournament proper!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The first round schedule has NOT been generated yet! Vox Nihili will allow several days for all participants to create their builds, and then the matchups will be randomly generated. You won't know who you're up against until after you've built your fighter!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 25, 2011

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Got in on slot 127, just created my fighter in a few minutes. I'm super impressed by the site, nice job!

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

That's all done, looking forward to seeing how horribly my fighter gets slaughtered because I tried covering all bases.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Done. My Tigerman will hopefully smash some fools with his halberd! :black101:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
This is going to be bloody.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Damnnation, I wish I had heard about this earlier. Singed up just in time to be too late to join.

e: Actually, looking at post times, I think I had two hours to register but I got distracted by video games instead. drat you Tropico! :argh:

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 25, 2011

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The site is fantastic thanks for all your (and Vox's) hard work, but I was wondering, because at the moment you can only use the website to create your build once the tournament starts and you can only do it for the Fighter you have entered could you release a standalone version where you can build before the tournament begins and for different creatures to test against and whatnot.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Damnnation, I wish I had heard about this earlier. Singed up just in time to be too late to join.

e: Actually, looking at post times, I think I had two hours to register but I got distracted by video games instead. drat you Tropico! :argh:

You might still get into the Battle Royale if Vox is feeling nice, so I'd suggest you go ahead and create a fighter ready for it!

My gladiator's equipment and skills are assigned. Fingers crossed for round 1. SO EXCITING.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat you, work, for keeping me from registering till now! I'll register anyhow and see if I can get into (die horribly in) the Battle Royale.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Woops I kept trying to log in with my email address rather than my username and I was wondering why it wasn't working. :v:

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Got my guy geared and skilled. Ready to be slaughtered mercilessly in the first round!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Macho Madness is comin to the arena with a wooden chair attached to his arm, YEAH.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Krying Phoenix has been equipped...let's hope the first round won't end in tears again.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cobalt's going all the way (read: dying embarrassingly in the first round)!

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
It is done! Planning out my build in intricate detail didn't work so well last time, so this time around I'm just going to wing it and see what happens.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
McGuff the Crime Hound stands ready to stab some bitches :black101:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I spent all my points!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Jack the Lad posted:

Whoops, I seem to have reversed the Halberd and Greataxe columns.

Which other values do you think are wrong?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Golden Brown, the Strangler, stands ready to die for our entertainment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
OK, I'm still working on the speed issues. Meanwhile, since the tournament is full but we still have a few interested people trickling in, there is an announcement to be made:

To those who didn't make the first 127, you can still get in on the action! Design a fighter manually and email it to me at iamvoxnihili (at) gmail.com! Your champion will be entered in the always-exciting pre-tournament battle royale, and if you win the event you will be admitted in the 128th slot. You'll have to do some math yourself, but that's how we all did it back in the first couple tournaments. Please use the following format:

quote:

Name: Example Man
User: Vox Nihili
Race: Human

Skills
Sword Level 5 (450)
Fighting Level 4 (150)

600 points spent on skills, 600 remaining

Equipment
Weapon(s):
Steel Long Sword (550)
Armor:
Copper Helm (50)

0 points left

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Winning a battle royale just to get into the tournament. A horde of fighters competing for the prize of...the right to die! Die for Vox Nihil!

...Wow, that's a great name for one of Darkseid's minions.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I built my fighter, of course in my planing I got my math wrong for certain things, so when I was halfway through my purchases I realized I got some things wrong. Aw well, I'm still pretty pleased with my build and if I survive round one I can get get the rest of what I wanted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can just hit the reset fighter button.

George is all ready to make some friends! :neckbeard:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

All set. Tantrum Spiral is gonna ruin some days.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Mr Smith set to have his day, and most probably life ruined.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
morituri te salutant

Serpent per manuum is ready to fight and die for horribly translated pun names.

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010
What's the time limit for entry via e-mail, Vox?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
My elf is ready to go! Let's do this thing!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Can't wait for this, Its going to rock.

Also generally what would you guys say is more important, better equipment or better skills?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'd say skills, especially early in the tournament. Most people won't spring for a full set of high-tier armor, so a weak weapon should be fine at this stage, and a single high-tier weapon would be a much easier investment than armor to block it so shield use/dodging would be a more sound proposition. At least that's my working theory, as I send my gladiator out clad in leather and wielding copper.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ThCawdor posted:

What's the time limit for entry via e-mail, Vox?

At least a day or two.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I believe there was some brief discussion of this, but I don't remember now. Is hit location targeting still entirely random like (AFAIK) it is in regular Dwarf Fortress?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Seņor Murderface is ready to kill some blokes and smuggle some gnomeblight across the border.

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010
Sent! More Blood for the Blood God! :black101:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe there was some brief discussion of this, but I don't remember now. Is hit location targeting still entirely random like (AFAIK) it is in regular Dwarf Fortress?

The method is different now, but there is still quite a bit of randomness (unless somebody is unconscious). Combat opportunities, recently introduced, will be chosen over more sensible strikes, so you'll have a human bite somebody in the toe rather than stab them in the chest simply because toe biting has a greater chance of hitting at that moment. Given equal chances of success (like when an opponent is unconscious, meaning every strike has a maximum chance of hitting with maximum squareness) fighters will strike at vital areas (namely the head). This leads to the annoying behavior of somebody repeatedly swatting an unconscious foe in the helmet, even if they could stab them in the un-armored chest instead.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sent in my character, let's see how this battle royale turns out.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It should be the same as regular DF, having said that though Im pretty sure one of the more recent changes was to make fighters more selective against incapacitated opponents, so if one of the fighters is unconscious or something the other should taget killing shots to the head. Pinch of salt though...

Elizabeth Bennet is ready, any "uncivil" behaviour will be met with an axe to the skull.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
That's still much better than complete randomness, and gives people incentive to actually armor sensibly. Pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Even though i have no idea what i am doing, i'm feeling pretty good about my chances!

• Locked thread