Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You could maybe get 5 bucks for it, jersey cards are basically worth nothing. Anecdotally i've pulled several jersey/bat cards out of a set that was just released and they probably wouldn't even get me enough cash to cover the pack I opened them from.

They're fun to have, though, which is more the idea.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I've got the Topps 60 #5, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you. The only thing I'm really looking for from 2011 right now are the diamond parallels for Josh Hamilton (26), Vladimir Guererro (67), and Cliff Lee (103), or any other Rangers parallels.

I've got the Lee diamond parallel and a Neftali one. If you want em, PM me.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I haven't had a lot of time or money to invest in cards recently, but as usual Allen and Ginter is trying to suck me back in. This A&G set has some of the coolest stuff yet.

The Flora of the World set looks incredibly awesome. It's a 5 card set (1 per hobby box), and it has a picture of a flower on it. The awesome part is that you can actually plant the card, and the flower will (hopefully) grow out of it. I'm just blown away by how cool that is. I can't imagine how they make it work. It must be like a rip card, but have seeds instead of cards inside of it. I really want to get two sets: one to keep and one to plant.

The Ascent of Man set is cool, too. The cards of it I've seen are pretty ugly, but the set itself is a cool concept. It's all of the (known) ancestors of Homo sapien in card form. It's really amazing that Topps would make a set like this. Most collectors I've interacted with have seemed like they wouldn't believe in evolution. Nice people, of course, but not always the most open minded. I wonder what they think when they open a pack and get one of these cards.

George W. Bush also signed cards for this set. I think he did 200 of them, some of which are individualized with different color ink or extra words or whatever. The article I read said that this is the first time a President has ever signed a baseball card that would be put into packs. I don't want to get into any sort of discussion of his politics, but George W has always seemed like a great baseball guy. He was in the booth for the first few innings of the first game of the College World Series this year, and you could tell that he loves the game. This would be a really cool auto to have, but the likelihood of me pulling or being able to afford one are probably close to zero.

They've kept a lot of the traditional A&G stuff, of course, like the rip cards, DNA relics, and minis. Two of the mini inserts this year seem really cool to me: the Floating Fortresses (A Navy themed set) and the Animals in Peril (endangered species set). They also brought back the coolest box loader insert in the business: the Cabinet Relics. They are the whole name of a player off a jersey. I've never seen one in person (they only make 10 per set), but the pictures I've seen on forums look loving awesome. I don't think they've done a Pirate yet, but hopefully Cutch gets one someday.

This set looks really cool, and I might just have to find the money to get a few packs. I bought a box a couple years ago and got a Cole Hamels rip card that I traded in for a new box, which was awesome. I don't think I'll be able to afford a whole box this year, but I really would like to get a set of the Flora of the World. I just can't get over how cool that set is.

edit: Here's a good break/review: http://collectorscrack.blogspot.com/2011/07/2011-allen-and-ginter-box-break-and.html

Looks like the Plant cards may be one per case. Great sadness. The Ascent of Man set looks pretty cool, actually, especially if all the cards fit together to form a larger picture. The BJ Upton street clothes relic is pretty hilarious. Relic cards have been getting worse and worse, so this seems like a pretty natural progression.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 21, 2011

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

It's about 2 flower cards per case. Also all the Tampa Bay relics are from their plaid uniforms they wore last year. Also pulled a Wee Man relic.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DaFuente posted:

I've got the Lee diamond parallel and a Neftali one. If you want em, PM me.

That was a while ago, I ended up getting them. Thanks, though!

I've been putting together this year's A & G set, and I haven't had much luck with it. I opened two boxes and got a ridiculous amount of duplicate base cards, so I haven't actually managed to finish a single page in my binder. I did get a flower card, so that's kinda cool, but I'm annoyed that they aren't one per box like the advertising material said they'd be.

I don't think I'm going to chase all the mini insert sets, but I definitely want to finish all the non-mini ones. Ascent of Man got a lot cooler once I noticed they make a big panorama.

If anyone wants to trade some base cards let me know, I've seriously got a stack ~ 90 big I need to get rid of.

Plutonic Cheddar
Mar 23, 2010

I'm off to the chocolate factory! Up yours Wonka!
I figure this is as good as any place to ask, but with the upcoming induction of Roberto Alomar into the hall of fame, my father has been talking to me about an autographed ball he has. He thinks it is going to skyrocket in value, but I think it may just be a promotional item he's getting a bit too excited over.

He also has a 25th anniversary Jays bat, of which only 250 were made, and wanted me to check that out too. Any idea of their value or place I could find out?

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
My buddy (evilduke) and I busted a case of Ginter this weekend. Some highlights:

No rip card! I called Topps and apparently they can't do anything. I did get a Mini Wood card of Andrew Romine. YEEHAW!

Not a single flower card either!

3 Ginter Code symbol cards. I really haven't figured out how that works but I see it has to do with the special bordered cards. If anybody is really interested in this I could really hook them up I have a ton of special bordered cards and three symbol cards.

The only double relic we pulled out of the case was a Prince Fielder jersey, BUT it was different in that one was a grey jersey and one was a retro Brewer blue so that's loving AWESOME!!!

If anybody is looking for an autograph from the bitch that hosts supernanny I can hook you up.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Strong Sauce posted:

It's about 2 flower cards per case. Also all the Tampa Bay relics are from their plaid uniforms they wore last year. Also pulled a Wee Man relic.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/07/tampa-bay-rays-ginter-relics-are-plaid-for-a-reason-winning/

The plaid relics are from plaid blazers the team wore on their travel days to show team unity. I saw that Wee Man had done some autos for the set. Too bad Ryan Dunn didn't do any before he died.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the distribution of cards in A&G this years. It sucks to open a box and not get what you're promised. I know UD had a lot of problems with this, but they got around the issue by saying "on average". Topps doesn't do that, as far as I know, so if you get shorted an auto or whatever they'll replace it. Still, stuff like the duplicate base cards and lack of rip card in a case are pretty lovely.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Bid on ebay for graded 10 Derek Jeter and Bryce Harper rookies today. This new credit card will be the death of me.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I have Topps Factory Sealed sets from 2003-2007 that I am looking to sell to a collector. I would like to see if any goons are interested before I resort to eBay.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, but I'll basically take best offer for the lot or piecemeal if no one wants all of them. PM with inquiries or reply here if you don't have PM.

Thanks!

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

My wife surprised me with a few retail packs of 2011 Allen & Ginter the other day and I may have been sucked back into cards since I quit a few years back. Anyways, I'd be interested in any minis you might have to trade from either 2011 or 2008 A&G.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ghumbs posted:

My wife surprised me with a few retail packs of 2011 Allen & Ginter the other day and I may have been sucked back into cards since I quit a few years back. Anyways, I'd be interested in any minis you might have to trade from either 2011 or 2008 A&G.

I, too, collected in 08 and am just now getting back into it. I'm trying to finish off the 08 A&G base + sp set and the World Leaders minis set. I can PM you a list of what I've got and what I need when I get home today.

I'm also working on updating my bucket, and I should have all my GU, autos, inserts etc scanned soon. It'd be cool to get some trades done on here.

E: just saw your break on SCF, nice pull on the Pedroia Bazooka back!

camoseven fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 3, 2011

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

camoseven posted:

I, too, collected in 08 and am just now getting back into it. I'm trying to finish off the 08 A&G base + sp set and the World Leaders minis set. I can PM you a list of what I've got and what I need when I get home today.

I'm also working on updating my bucket, and I should have all my GU, autos, inserts etc scanned soon. It'd be cool to get some trades done on here.

Awesome. Funny you too got out in 08 and back in this year. But the good news is I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot to help each other out. I collect minis and you're looking for base and base SP. I also have some duplicates of the world leaders which should help.

And yeah, all the local shops were closed when I wanted to go last night. I was really surprised to pull that Pedroia since I've never had much luck with retail.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
One of my diamond giveaway codes yielded a die-cut Miguel Cabrera. Also pretty sure the Allen & Ginter Derek Jeter jersey relic I bought off Ebay is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up. Gonna pick up some Bowman packs at the card shop Saturday.

Also, this is a long shot, but did anyone collect the 1995 Donruss Studio set? The one that looks like credit cards? A guy at work gave me a mostly complete set and I'd like to get the rest of them.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 4, 2011

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

jetgrindeggy posted:

Gonna pick up some Bowman packs at the card shop Saturday.

Get anything interesting?

I picked up a box of 88 Topps (for 10 bucks) at my card shop because it came with a bonus on top. Have a look:

Rawly Eastwick, Yankees Pitcher, 1978?

Jim Rooker, Pirates Pitcher and Broadcster, marked '81 on the back

Roy Smalley, Twins Short Stop, should be from '76

Dan Ford, Twins Outfielder, probably also a '76 (rookie auto I guess?)

Plus 14 more, mostly more Twins from '76. Kinda neat really, but I'm not really sure that the last two are really signed or if they are just printed/stampped on.

Or even what they are really. Are they some sort of team-provided thing that players sign (or have their signature stampped on or something)? Anyone have any info? I can't even find similar photos on google images.

There were also some old photos in there which sadly were not signed, like Harmon Killebrew in a Royals uniform, Rollie Fingers, Hank Aaron and a very young Robin Yount. Also, this guy:

I can't figure out who this is, but given the other photos are of recgonizable names, I'm guessing he must be someone of importance.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2011

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Also, this guy:

I can't figure out who this is, but given the other photos are of recgonizable names, I'm guessing he must be someone of importance.

This is Gaylord Perry

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

From the images you've provided, it's pretty clear that those are indeed signed and not just printed. It's usually easy to tell. The best way is to shine some light across the surface at an angle. This allows the ink to appear different from the actual surface of the photo.

Based on those images, the Twins ones look team-provided. The Jim Rooker looks like it came out of a magazine or a newspaper.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Last week I randomly bought a pack of Bowman Chrome on a routine trip to Walmart and came away with a Bryce Harper auto redemption. It's a 1:3000 packs thing. I'm not sure if this means I should just stop collecting immediately or what. The thing sells for anywhere between $350 and $500 on eBay, which is way more than an autograph of guys like Hank Aaron or Sandy Koufax. That pisses me off in ways I shouldn't need to explain, but it's also half a mortgage payment, so now I'm a big Harper fan. The plan for now is to hang onto it until he gets called up and sell it as soon as he hits his first hot streak.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DaFuente posted:

Last week I randomly bought a pack of Bowman Chrome on a routine trip to Walmart and came away with a Bryce Harper auto redemption. It's a 1:3000 packs thing. I'm not sure if this means I should just stop collecting immediately or what. The thing sells for anywhere between $350 and $500 on eBay, which is way more than an autograph of guys like Hank Aaron or Sandy Koufax. The plan for now is to hang onto it until he gets called up and sell it as soon as he hits his first hot streak.
I would be careful waiting too long. God forbid he gets injured or something, because his stuff will tank fast. Strasburg's stuff lost a ton of value after he blew out his arm last year, and the prices almost never recover their lost value.

Turn in the redemption, get the card, and keep track of sale prices often.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DaFuente posted:

Last week I randomly bought a pack of Bowman Chrome on a routine trip to Walmart and came away with a Bryce Harper auto redemption. It's a 1:3000 packs thing. I'm not sure if this means I should just stop collecting immediately or what. The thing sells for anywhere between $350 and $500 on eBay, which is way more than an autograph of guys like Hank Aaron or Sandy Koufax. That pisses me off in ways I shouldn't need to explain, but it's also half a mortgage payment, so now I'm a big Harper fan. The plan for now is to hang onto it until he gets called up and sell it as soon as he hits his first hot streak.

If your sole goal is profit, sell it as soon as you get the card in hand. His cards will likely never, ever be higher in value than they are now, even if he turns into Barry Bonds.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

jeffersonlives posted:

If your sole goal is profit, sell it as soon as you get the card in hand. His cards will likely never, ever be higher in value than they are now, even if he turns into Barry Bonds.

My main fear right now is that once the redemptions come in, the market will be flooded and the price will drop. Especially since it will arrive in the offseason when interest will be lower. I probably should have sold the redemption card, but gently caress it. I've never pulled anything cool from a pack of cards and I'd like to at least GET the card.

At this point, I can't really do anything until the card comes anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DaFuente posted:

My main fear right now is that once the redemptions come in, the market will be flooded and the price will drop. Especially since it will arrive in the offseason when interest will be lower. I probably should have sold the redemption card, but gently caress it. I've never pulled anything cool from a pack of cards and I'd like to at least GET the card.

At this point, I can't really do anything until the card comes anyway.

The actual card will go for a lot more than the redemption for somewhat dumb reasons that aren't worth explaining, so you made a good move redeeming it. I don't think the market is going to be flooded on Harper auto'd rookies though, and Bowman Chrome is always going to be one of the most coveted prospect/rookie autos that isn't a super short print.

All that said, if you want to hold onto it, hold onto it. I held onto a Topps Traded Josh Hamilton auto that I pulled in 1999 that was worth a decent amount, watched it plunge to a couple cents, and now it's worth double what it was in 1999. It wasn't as an investment, I just liked the card.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Something like that has got to be a prime candidate for grading, right? At the very least for the preservation of having it slabbed. If it comes back with a high grade then that works out even better if you want to sell it.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Absolutely getting it slabbed. From what I can tell, that's one of the biggest advantages of getting the actual card. A lot of these things will hit ebay in November, but most folks will be putting them up immediately and be hoping for a quick return. A graded card is going to be more legit to buyers.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the different grading services? Where should I send it?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DaFuente posted:

Absolutely getting it slabbed. From what I can tell, that's one of the biggest advantages of getting the actual card. A lot of these things will hit ebay in November, but most folks will be putting them up immediately and be hoping for a quick return. A graded card is going to be more legit to buyers.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the different grading services? Where should I send it?
You will probably want to send it into BGS for Bowman Chrome cards.

However, I pulled a Bryce Harper Bowman's Best from Bowman 2011, I was going to get it slabbed by Beckett except I noticed that they don't use SSL on their page when you type in your credit card. Yeah no thanks.

Probably just going to sell it "raw" on eBay later.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Strong Sauce posted:

However, I pulled a Bryce Harper Bowman's Best from Bowman 2011, I was going to get it slabbed by Beckett except I noticed that they don't use SSL on their page when you type in your credit card. Yeah no thanks.

I just don't want to deal with shipping a card to them. I've only done direct drop offs, they usually come to the big shows and will take submissions right then and there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I just don't want to deal with shipping a card to them. I've only done direct drop offs, they usually come to the big shows and will take submissions right then and there.

It's usually cheaper that way, too.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bob Shabazz posted:

This is Gaylord Perry

Thanks. I'm not sure how I figured out one guy was Lindy McDaniel but couldn't get Perry.

FlamingLiberal posted:

From the images you've provided, it's pretty clear that those are indeed signed and not just printed. It's usually easy to tell. The best way is to shine some light across the surface at an angle. This allows the ink to appear different from the actual surface of the photo.

Based on those images, the Twins ones look team-provided. The Jim Rooker looks like it came out of a magazine or a newspaper.

The thing about the autographs is that they have some unusual edging (sort of fuzzy and bumpy) which reminded me of a signature stamp I used a lot. That said, it doesn't seem like a wise financial move to have a stamp made up for a guy like Tom Norton.

The Rooker was on some sort of card stock with nothing on the back, so also likely some sort of promo item I guess. Is this just what you got when you wrote a team for an autograph?

And here's Yount at like 19 or 20 years old.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Ghumbs posted:

camoseven posted:

I cracked three boxes of 2008 A&G back in the day and if either of you want, you can PM me with a want list to finish your sets. I have about half of the World Leaders mini set somewhere. I don't have much energy to commit to this hobby but I still enjoy seeing new products and box breaks.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

You will probably want to send it into BGS for Bowman Chrome cards.

Probably just going to sell it "raw" on eBay later.

PM me with a price, I need it to complete my set.

Effulgence
Jun 10, 2006

n. a brilliant radiance
Has anyone here ever framed a jersey before? A quick google tells me I need to do things like stitch it to the backdrop so that it doesn't wrinkle or slide around. It also reveals companies that make more of display cases where the jersey just hangs on a hanger inside. I like the look of the flat framed ones a lot more, but I'm not sure the best place to get a serviceable one for cheap. I'm not mounting a $10,000 signed jersey here, but I'd like it to look at least Ikea nice. Is my best bet to head out to Michael's or some such place?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I usually stick jerseys in smaller shadowboxes, but I also don't have a ton of wall space anymore.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Is there a quick way to get rid of a boat load of cards?

I got back into collecting probably 4-6 years ago. I have a poo poo tonne of cards. Probably 10 or so binders full of almost complete base sets, and a few boxes of random autos/jersey/chase cards. I just want them all gone but don't have the time nor desire to list individual cards on ebay. At this point I'd be happy with a few hundred bucks for everything. Help me clean out my closet of this stuff???

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

mattfl posted:

Is there a quick way to get rid of a boat load of cards?

I got back into collecting probably 4-6 years ago. I have a poo poo tonne of cards. Probably 10 or so binders full of almost complete base sets, and a few boxes of random autos/jersey/chase cards. I just want them all gone but don't have the time nor desire to list individual cards on ebay. At this point I'd be happy with a few hundred bucks for everything. Help me clean out my closet of this stuff???

What are some of your better cards?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Could you ballpark an actual number of cards and give some indication of which series you have in there? "A few hundred" sounds pretty high for not having anything complete.

Consider finding a bit of time to sell the autos and chase cards individually, maybe some of the jersey cards too if you were buying premium stuff. Those are likely where most of the value in the stuff you have lies.

Otherwise the least amount of effort you can put in is to take it all down to a card shop and see what the guy will offer you.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ghumbs posted:

What are some of your better cards?

I'll have to sit down soon and just put together a list of the auto/jersey/chase cards I have. It's been a while since I've sat and looked at them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Could you ballpark an actual number of cards and give some indication of which series you have in there? "A few hundred" sounds pretty high for not having anything complete.

Consider finding a bit of time to sell the autos and chase cards individually, maybe some of the jersey cards too if you were buying premium stuff. Those are likely where most of the value in the stuff you have lies.

Otherwise the least amount of effort you can put in is to take it all down to a card shop and see what the guy will offer you.

If had to ballpark the actual number of cards, over 750-1000 cards total. I'll put together a list in the next couple of days of what series of stuff I have in binders and some of the auto/jersey/chase stuff I have.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

mattfl posted:

If had to ballpark the actual number of cards, over 750-1000 cards total. I'll put together a list in the next couple of days of what series of stuff I have in binders and some of the auto/jersey/chase stuff I have.

That's like 2 or 3 hobby boxes worth of cards, which isn't very much really. It depends on the sets though, if it was all Triple Threads or similar then maybe you've got something. If it's just regular old cards, you've not got much of anything of value in a bulk sale.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Due mostly to boredom (and dirt cheap prices) I've recently started buying rookie cards of all my all-time favorite players off eBay. I'm not very concerned with quality, I just think it's cool to own the cards that my 12 year old self would have loved to own. Just bought Ripken, Dawson, Yount, Raines, Hernandez, Carter, Mattingly, Strawberry, Gooden & Molitor rookie cards for under $100. Still can't believe how the value of these things have dropped. I remember saving up to buy an Eddie Murray rookie card back in 1988 for $25 and imagining I'd be able to sell it for hundreds of dollars when I was older.

Also, the holy grail of baseball card collecting for me is still to own the complete set of 1956 Topps. What a gorgeous set. Saw a near mint set on eBay going for 5 grand. Someday...it shall be mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Antifreeze Head posted:

Get anything interesting?

No. Manny Banuelos rookie that I'll hang onto just because I collect Yankees rookies, even though it won't ever be worth anything.

• Locked thread