Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

Jesus, that's complicated. So who fought in the rebellion and why? I barely remember any of this, much less figure out all the details.
It's basically the whole plot of the third Egg&Dunk novella, "The Mystery Knight". The second Rebellion was a 2-days tournament/wedding that ended up with the conspirators surrounded by the loyalist armies and they immediately surrendered. It was just a terrible plot by Lord Frey and a few other houses to get ride of Bloodraven and put one of the son of Daemon Blackfyre on the throne but even Bittersteel didn't want to take part of it. The plot includes a dragon egg, dwarves, a man knighted in a whorehouse and drunken knights singing the Bear and the Maiden Fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

He upended a game of Cyvasse when Tyrio beat him then made Tyrion pick up the pieces. That doesn't exactly scream humble to me.

I had forgotten about that, maybe you're right

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
The talk of Bloodraven inspired me to find and read "The Mystery Knight". Now THIS is the GRRM I know and love!

an absolute fucker posted:

"Look," said Ser Kyle the Cat. "The wedding pie."

Six kitchen boys were pushing it through the doors, upon a wide wheeled cart. The pie was brown and crusty and immense, and there were noises coming from inside it, squeaks and squawks and thumps. Lord and Lady Butterwell descended from the dais to meet it, sword in hand. When they cut it open, half a hundred birds burst forth to fly around the hall. In other wedding feasts Dunk had attended, the pies had been filled with doves or songbirds, but inside this one were bluejays and skylarks, pigeons and doves, mockingbirds and nightingales, small brown sparrows and a great red parrot. "One-and-twenty sorts of birds," said Ser Kyle. "One-and-twenty sorts of bird droppings," said Ser Maynard.

"You have no poetry in your heart, ser."

"You have poo poo upon your shoulder."

"This is the proper way to fill a pie," Ser Kyle sniffed, cleaning off his tunic. "The pie is meant to be the marriage, and a true marriage has in it many sorts of things—joy and grief, pain and pleasure, love and lust and loyalty. So it is fitting that there be birds of many sorts. No man ever truly knows what a new wife will bring him."

"Her oval office," said Plumm, "or what would be the point?"

:allears:

New theory: Hot Pie is descended from the Butterwells. He just has to be.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Mystery Knight is the best D&E story by a landslide. The Hedge Knight is OK and The Sworn Sword is pretty bad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I really hate moron protagonists (or yeah, "decent guys who just appear slow-witted", sure) so I'm prejudiced against the short stories, but what the hell is the point? (besides filling out the backstory)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Xander77 posted:

I really hate moron protagonists (or yeah, "decent guys who just appear slow-witted", sure) so I'm prejudiced against the short stories, but what the hell is the point? (besides filling out the backstory)

IIRC, the main idea was to show that Westeros wasn't *always* a Mutter Courage inferno of lawlessness and betrayals, and that under the Targaryens before Aerys II it was a relatively peaceful and orderly place (though still with all the unfairness and poverty of the feudal Middle Ages).

To that purpose it works admirably. I just wish GRRM hadn't felt compelled to also give them near-Hollywood endings, because they just don't sound convincing.

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005
"What happened?" she gasped. "Nothing. Why?" "Oh, yes it did," she giggled. "I wet myself." "They always do," I said. - Raymond Chandler, "The Big Sleep"
So now that Bran is becoming a tree, does he still need Hodor? I was really hoping for a Master Blaster-esque sex scene.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Doibhilin posted:

So now that Bran is becoming a tree, does he still need Hodor? I was really hoping for a Master Blaster-esque sex scene.

Given the talk about warging into people being an 'abomination' and the time devoted to talking about how Hodor responds to it, GRRM's almost definitely going to do something with it before it's over. It's just a question of whether he has any idea what.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Liesmith posted:

Right but honestly who gives a gently caress now? A little taste of it is interesting sure but we aren't reading books about the blackfyre rebellion we are reading about the Prince that was Promised

I would venture it sets up more of the Targaryen intrigue. Judging by the Blackfyre thing, the Ninepenny Kings and Dance of Dragons, it would seem that the Targaryen dynasty was pretty fractured and this could come into play when Aegon VI makes his play

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

lapse posted:

I had forgotten about that, maybe you're right

As for the humility to Tyrion remember:

1. His house killed and raped Aegon's mother and sister

2. He just killed a sitting king (as far as anyone knows)

3. He's a dwarf

4. He killed his own father

Tyrion's a great guy but according to the norms of the day, a quick wit doesn't warrant a "please"

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

It's obviously more of Gurm's "grey and grey" morality. Anime-haired destined philosopher king with a strong sense of duty BUT HE IS A SORE LOSER AT CHESS. Character development.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Someone last page mentioned dany not even reaching westeros. With Victarion and tyrion converging on meereen and aegon already in westeros, the ultimate gurm gently caress-offs of all gurm gently caress-offs would have Vic steal the dragons with the horn and the aide of tyrion and have dany die, leaving her entire arc of supposed/coming conquest be null and void. vic would team up with aegon, who tyrion would urge to loving burn kings landing to the ground.

I would laugh and laugh and it would be the best twist in modern literature.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

meanolmrcloud posted:

Someone last page mentioned dany not even reaching westeros. With Victarion and tyrion converging on meereen and aegon already in westeros, the ultimate gurm gently caress-offs of all gurm gently caress-offs would have Vic steal the dragons with the horn and the aide of tyrion and have dany die, leaving her entire arc of supposed/coming conquest be null and void. vic would team up with aegon, who tyrion would urge to loving burn kings landing to the ground.

I'm fine with that so long as Barristan and Belwas survive and have a sweet buddy comedy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

Where does Bronn work into this story? This is important. Also Sandor has to wind up marrying Littlefinger dressed in drag as a sort of Warner Brothers type spin.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I just finished it a few hours ago and have a few questions.

Is Mother Mole (I think that was her name) Six Skins?

Also, speaking of worgs is it possible John "worgs/Skin jumps" his way into Ghost? How many times did Gurm mention "The boy must die for the man to be born, Kill the boy". And didn't Melissandre mention seeing something in her flames about man > wolf > man?

If John actually manages to worg his way into anything I hope its Wun Wun.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ckwiesr posted:

Is Mother Mole (I think that was her name) Six Skins?

I don't think so. I think Sixskins warged into the one-eyed wolf that Summer beat and made part of his pack. I don't remember what happened to Summer's pack after they entered the Children of the Forest's hideout.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ckwiesr posted:

If John actually manages to worg his way into anything I hope its Wun Wun.
Probably not a good idea since Wun Wun is going to be fukken dead about five minutes after the end of the chapter.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sarkozymandias posted:

It's obviously more of Gurm's "grey and grey" morality. Anime-haired destined philosopher king with a strong sense of duty BUT HE IS A SORE LOSER AT CHESS. Character development.

Or it might hint on a certain kind of anger, arrogance and cruelty that might lead to yet another king named "the Cruel", "the Unworthy", "the Mad" if left unguided. Or to a lost rebellion, because in the real deal you can't simply turn over the board and make your enemy pick up the pieces if you're losing.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I'm basically skipping through thirty pages of this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already or done to death or something, but am I the only one who thinks Lady Lemore is not Ashara but is in fact the mother of one of the Sand Snakes? Wasn't it mentioned that one of them was the daughter of a septa that the Red Viper had...ahem, corrupted? I know it's a stretch since Dorne apparently didn't know about Aegon, but it seems odd that the Grum would go out of his way to mention that she had pregnancy stretch marks, and since I think we're only told about one septa who's had such a fall from grace...

Or is it just stupid?

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Aegon flipped over a chessboard, Joffrey made people fight to death, made Sansa kiss her dead fathers head and cut cats open.the thing that makes him not so ideal as a king is that Tyrion was able to make him throw away 17 years of meticulous planning with one little speech. He's gullible and easily manipulated, but the fact that he acts impussively probably has more to do with his age than his overall character. ^^^^^^ didn't Doran send the Sand Snake who's mother was a Septon to Kings Landing to get close to the new High Septon?^^^^^^

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 26, 2011

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still waiting for my used copy to show up from Amazon... but just from reading comments, It seems this book went in a way loving different direction than I was expecting.

I mean, New Secret Targs, Dorne's Fire and Blood gutters out, Hodor dies, who the gently caress is Bloodraven, and Bran is turning into a Sandworm Weirwood.

I've got to read those lovely other novels now so I know what is going on? gently caress Egg. The Hedge Knight was ok, but I couldn't get through 2 chapters of the other ones.

Anyway, this forum is serious-posting about Secret Targs and Wargs.

so, I salute you Absolute Fucker!

edit: Targs and Wargs sounds like a D&D expansion module.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 26, 2011

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bigmcgaffney posted:

We're not reading about the Prince That Was Promised, he doesn't even have his own POV. We're reading about pink wearing psychopaths and frey cooks.

Dany is the prince who was promised according to Maester Aemon. Also possibly Jon??? The only candidate who doesn't have a PoV here is Griff/Aegon since there are supposed to be three of them and the only other guy in the running got set on fire.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kcroy posted:

I've got to read those lovely other novels now so I know what is going on? gently caress Egg. The Hedge Knight was ok, but I couldn't get through 2 chapters of the other ones.

No, you don't need to read the Dunk & Egg stories (which I didn't find lovely at all), not knowing who Bloodraven was works fine enough, as it doesn't matter who he was. No, Hordor doesn't die (yet), this was just a German reviewer who apparently overestimated his language skills.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
There's no way Hodor dies before Bran wargrapes Myra.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Illinois Smith posted:

There's no way Hodor dies before Bran wargrapes Myra.

What's a war grape?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
And I don't think Bran has even heard of Myra Stone (Robert's bastard girl in the Vale). Meera and Jojen don't die either in ADWD, before the question arises.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Decius posted:

And I don't think Bran has even heard of Myra Stone (Robert's bastard girl in the Vale). Meera and Jojen don't die either in ADWD, before the question arises.

Isn't that mya stone jeez please seize and desist!!!

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
someone post the frequency of the phrase 'not wrong' in all of the books please.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Decius posted:

This is what happens to people who only listen to audiobooks. Don't even ask me how to spell the name of anybody in Slaver's Bay.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Arturo Ui posted:

someone post the frequency of the phrase 'not wrong' in all of the books please.

This is something that must needs be done.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Has anyone worked out how long Theon was kept imprisoned and tortured in the Dreadfort for?

bambus
May 10, 2009
According to my PDFs, the frequency of "Not wrong":

GoT:0
ACoK:1
ASOS:0
AFFC:7
ADWD:27

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

bambus posted:

According to my PDFs, the frequency of "Not wrong":

GoT:0
ACoK:1
ASOS:0
AFFC:7
ADWD:27

Thanks. It felt like even more because they're concentrated at the end of the book.

Anyone notice that Beric Dondarrion isn't listed as dead in the appendix (just 'thought dead')?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am sure this may have been posted, but I avoided these threads for a long time because of spoilers:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller?currentPage=all

My favorite part

quote:

Like many “Lost” fans, Martin resented the series’s mystical ending, which left dozens of narrative threads dangling. “We watched it every week trying to figure it out, and as it got deeper and deeper I kept saying, ‘They better have something good in mind for the end. This end better pay off here.’ And then I felt so cheated when we got to the conclusion.”

:ironicat:

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 26, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

menino posted:

Tyrion's a great guy but according to the norms of the day, a quick wit doesn't warrant a "please"

Tyrion's actually a huge dick and I'm pretty sure he was baiting Aegon/Griff into flipping out when they were playing chess and hey he succeeded

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"must needs":

GoT:5
ACoK:3
ASOS:8
AFFC:12
ADWD:22

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

lapse posted:

The "Bloodraven = 3-eyed crow" theory has been around ever since the novella The Sworn Sword. That's where you get most of the information about him. You definitely wouldn't have had enough information to work with, just from the main series, but if you read the novellas, a lot of people picked up on it.

A lot of us were pretty sure it was him for various reasons.

:smug:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=57710#post329627020
Look at all those quotes by me. OG Wild Card, sup?

Look at me coming up with Tyrion Secret Targ and everyone going "woah that makes way too much sense":
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24

Also: lol :(

Ray_ posted:

Argh, why won't he finish the loving book already??? It was like two years in between the first three. '96, '98, '00, '05, and we'll be lucky to get the next one in 2008.

Edit: May 01, 2007 14:23

Ray_ fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2011

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
For those not feeling like reading through the novellas, I really recommend checking out the graphic novels. You'll get the same info as the books, but with pretty pictures!

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Sorry I might have missed it, anyone got a lamprey count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Sorry I might have missed it, anyone got a lamprey count?
GoT: 1
ACoK: 6
ASOS: 1 (14 if you count all the times Davos refers to "Lamprey" the gaoler)
AFFC: 1
ADWD: 6