Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So should I get Metro 2033 now or wait until there is another sale on Steam? I'm still kicking myself in the rear end for missing that sale Steam had not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Just get the boxed version for 10 bucks off Amazon.

Edit: or digital download for 15 bucks. Not Steam, but still 5 bucks less.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
IIRC Metro is Steamworks, so no matter where you get it from, it'll be the Steam version.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What's the difference between buying a game that isn't steamworks retail versus buying it off of steam? I was under the impression that you could just throw the CD key into Steam and it would exactly like if you got it off Steam in the first place.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What's the difference between buying a game that isn't steamworks retail versus buying it off of steam? I was under the impression that you could just throw the CD key into Steam and it would exactly like if you got it off Steam in the first place.

Only certain games can be registered and act like you actually bought them from Steam, and then theres Steamworks which have cloud saves and other fancy things.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

EDIT: Derp, read it wrong, missed the " 'nt ".

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

One upside of a good game being canned by the public is getting it cheap for PC later. I got Dark Messiah, Metro 2033, and Alpha Protocol for 10 bucks each so far, no waiting for Steam!

Well this was tangentially related to the post above, but that's gone now so have now it's just general advice!

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sometimes if you buy a retail game, you can't buy DLC from Steam and vice versa.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
This -- I ended up rebuying ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead (I have their retail discs) under the Combined Operations bundle ($22.49 during the Steam Summer Sale daily deal, $29.99 now) just so that I could get the OA DLC ($4.99 during the daily deal, $9.99 each now), as the Steam pages of the DLC claimed to require the Steam version of OA, so I figured "Steam version of ARMA 2 for only $2.50 more, why not."

It also meant that I'd get the "full" 40% discount on the Steam version of ARMA X: Anniversary Edition (ARMA 2, Operation Arrowhead, the DLC, ARMA: Cold War Assault/Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, and ARMA: Gold Edition), 20% for having ARMA 2 already on Steam and 20% for having Operation Arrowhead on Steam.

P.S. Would it be a "board rules" violation for me to note that I can actually gift the discounted Steam version of ARMA X?

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 26, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What the hell, AMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRYvfhk7xcs

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

What the hell, AMD.

Holy poo poo. Who exactly is the target demographic for this? 14 year old who beg their parents for new CPU/GPUs? How many of those can there be?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
gently caress, I hope my GeForce can render comics.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NihilCredo posted:

What the hell, AMD.

I'm switching to Nvidia just on general principals now.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

NihilCredo posted:

What the hell, AMD.

Dear God, was that story boarded and animated by high school students or something? Every bit of it just looked poorly executed. I don't get marketing sometimes.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

NihilCredo posted:

What the hell, AMD.

Just another reason to use Intel/nVidia.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Just another reason to use Intel/nVidia.

There are not enough :rolleyes: in the world.

But yeah, that video is stupid as hell.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I should be in bed but I absolutely need to crosspost this here from the industry thread, especially since it's a RockPaperShotgun story and thus deeply entwined with the PC:

Doctor Tim Langdell's issued a rebuttal to RockPaperShotgun concerning their earlier articles concerning his patent lawsuits and activities in the PC gaming sector.

Find time to read it. It is epic. And not in the way Langdell meant it to be.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My HD5870 cringed at having that put through it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

What the hell, AMD.

Lol this owns.

It's terrible but it's fun because of it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I upgraded my videocard from a Radeon HD4670 to a Radeon HD6850. What a huge difference!

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
What's the recommended cheapish AMD gaming CPU now? I need something AM3, hopefully under $100 on sale or something. Should I just get an Athlon II X3 or is there a better option?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

unSavory posted:

What's the recommended cheapish AMD gaming CPU now? I need something AM3, hopefully under $100 on sale or something. Should I just get an Athlon II X3 or is there a better option?

I'm using an AMD Athlon II X2 250 in my current rig. Most games will run fine with a dual-core processor, alot of them really depend on you having a beefy videocard. Although this would be considered a budget processor not suited for gaming, it's been very fast so far, and with my Radeon HD6850 and 8 gigs of RAM, my rig is able to play every game with little to no slowdown on full settings.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

SpaceDrake posted:

I should be in bed but I absolutely need to crosspost this here from the industry thread, especially since it's a RockPaperShotgun story and thus deeply entwined with the PC:

Doctor Tim Langdell's issued a rebuttal to RockPaperShotgun concerning their earlier articles concerning his patent lawsuits and activities in the PC gaming sector.

Find time to read it. It is epic. And not in the way Langdell meant it to be.

So, is this basically about a crazy guy trying to sue everyone he can for the rights to use the word "Edge" as he pleases? I've never heard of Tim Langdell before.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

There are not enough :rolleyes: in the world.

But yeah, that video is stupid as hell.

I wouldn't use AMD/ATI anyway so :rolleyes: all you want, I suppose.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 26, 2011

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

So, is this basically about a crazy guy trying to sue everyone he can for the rights to use the word "Edge" as he pleases? I've never heard of Tim Langdell before.

That'd be the backstory, but this article is him emailing them saying it wasn't his fault he's been a douche these past few months/years. It was court ordered.

Also the judge was gullible, that's why he lost.(not gullible enough to fall for his faked evidence though)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

unSavory posted:

My Athlon II x2 250 does his job just fine. That said, after almost a year and a half he's probably no longer the best in terms of price vs. performance. If I had to replace it right now, checking the Swedish prices, I guess I'd grab a Phenom II x2 555.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

unSavory posted:

I'm using a Phenom II X4 and so far it's great for games. It's inexpensive, but has all the horsepower a game could need. For CPU heavy games, it seems to process turns in Civ IV/V faster than most, and runs BFBC2 like a dream (hopefully BF3 as well).

The Phenom II X4 955 is $120 on newegg (edit: $110 with a promo code AMDNE7192), but maybe you can find it for sale somewhere.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 26, 2011

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

The.GreyWolf posted:

Don't be such a mong

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The.GreyWolf posted:

You're a dummy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, getting a dual core when you can get a quad core for about $100 too is just dumb. AMD's had $100 quad cores for a few years now, and they perform great in anything that isn't designed specifically just to benchmark CPUs.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

notZaar posted:

You're a dummy.

How so? I am genuinely curious.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The.GreyWolf posted:

You said you "wouldn't use" ATI/AMD parts. That is dumb. Reasonable people use whatever has the best bang for the buck, and don't have misplaced loyalty to international corporations.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, getting a dual core when you can get a quad core for about $100 too is just dumb. AMD's had $100 quad cores for a few years now, and they perform great in anything that isn't designed specifically just to benchmark CPUs.

Yup, quad-core AMD is the way to go if you don't want to spend $300+ on an Intel CPU + mobo, and it'll be more than enough for most modern games. Check out the Parts Picking thread for further advice.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Intel/AMD/NVidia brand loyalty is loving stupid.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Maybe I do have a bit of a vendetta against ATI for putting out some drivers once for one of their laptop cards and then never updating it. It may be stupid but if the other company works for you then I don't see why you'd chose the other.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

No poo poo. The only thing you need to consider when buying hardware is if the price is worth the performance. That's it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The only thing I consider whe I buy hardware is the quantity of green plastic and neon lights attached. Also the box better be bitchin, with a robot and some explosions.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

The.GreyWolf posted:

Maybe I do have a bit of a vendetta against ATI for putting out some drivers once for one of their laptop cards and then never updating it. It may be stupid but if the other company works for you then I don't see why you'd chose the other.

Because companies change.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Chinaman7000 posted:

The only thing I consider whe I buy hardware is the quantity of green plastic and neon lights attached. Also the box better be bitchin, with a robot and some explosions.

I'm changing my answer to this. Also, the robot better be a hot lady-bot, and she better be posing in a way that would make me ashamed if anyone saw me buying the box.

Seriously, do Sapphire and the like think that the primary consumers of their goods are 11 year old boys? Are they right?

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Thanks for the replies. Might end up saving a bit more and going for a phenom x4. Though the microcenter here has the x2 for like 60 bucks right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
^^^ Go Quad Core, even if it's just the Athlon II x4 instead of the Phenom II x4. More and more games are moving towards quad core support.^^^

The.GreyWolf posted:

Because Works well enough doesn't always mean best performance for your money, and why would you waste money over the name? I mean, I always use AMD in my machines I build, but that didn't stop me from getting an EeePC just because it uses an Atom and GMA graphics.

• Locked thread