Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Hello again. In the last month I've begun working out, and recently I've decided to add the "Couch to 5k" jogging plan to my week. However, nearly 10 months ago, I broke my pelvis in half and also broke my feet. My feet I'm frankly not that worried about, but I don't want to risk re-damaging my pelvis.

This is the gear I'm rocking nowadays:

(this image is over 9 months old)

I walk fine, I can get up and down stairs and stand on tiptoe. Aside from flexibility issues and endurance, which I imagine will come the more I exercise, I feel nearly 100%.

Would jogging be too much for me within a year of my accident? I've texted my PT but she hasn't replied yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Maybe, maybe not. Ask your PT or doctor. I know you already did, but the point is that everyone is different and recovers at different rates. No one here can tell you. The best policy, beyond asking a professional, is to avoid doing anything that hurts and to not push yourself too hard when dealing with injuries.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
On the Netflix website, when a non-member goes to "Browse Selection" for the watch instantly movies, are those all the movies they offer (instantly)? Or is it just a sample?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Looks to be just a sample, though you can search for everything.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I tried this and it seems that the formID URL parameter is throwing the program off. The program is designed to cycle through a directory like "/images/image00X.jpg" instead of my "?formID=X" parameter. It just ends up saving a bunch of 0KB junk pdf files.

Sort of odd to me considering if I type in the link manually I can get to the PDF. You'd think the downloader would behave similarly.

Try jdownloader actually. It's free and it's one of the best programs I've discovered...ever.

Play around with it and figure out the basics of how it works.

Go to the linkgrabber tab; add URL and parse the URL; see what happens.

Can you PM me the link? I'll try to do it for you.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 27, 2011

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Huntersoninski posted:

Hello again. In the last month I've begun working out, and recently I've decided to add the "Couch to 5k" jogging plan to my week. However, nearly 10 months ago, I broke my pelvis in half and also broke my feet. My feet I'm frankly not that worried about, but I don't want to risk re-damaging my pelvis.

Sup pelvis breaking buddy. Mine wasn't busted up quite as bad as yours looks like, but anyway I wasn't able to jog within 3 years. Main reason wasn't the pelvis, but the sciatic nerve damage from the pelvis surgery, which meant I didn't have too much control over one foot. I can tell you that after about three months, the pelvis didn't give me too much trouble when I strained it -- it was all the other stuff that happened to me (foot breakage, nerve damage) that gave me more trouble as I transitioned from cane to walking to jogging. I wish I had more relevant advice for you.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Hi folks, I'm hoping that someone with greater search powers than I can dig up some information for me. Right now Terminal C at Logan airport in Boston is being renovated. Part of that renovation is a bunch of new stores and whatnot being added to the terminal. I can't find out anything no matter how much I try to dig around the net and I need to know what these shops are going to be. Everything is so vague, I can't even find the name of the architects or building company or anything to find some sort of project overview. Can anyone help a brother out? I hug you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rubies posted:

Hi folks, I'm hoping that someone with greater search powers than I can dig up some information for me. Right now Terminal C at Logan airport in Boston is being renovated. Part of that renovation is a bunch of new stores and whatnot being added to the terminal. I can't find out anything no matter how much I try to dig around the net and I need to know what these shops are going to be. Everything is so vague, I can't even find the name of the architects or building company or anything to find some sort of project overview. Can anyone help a brother out? I hug you.

I'll be there on Thursday and I guess I could try to ask the help desk. Have you tried asking someone at Massport?: http://www.massport.com/massport/Pages/Feedback.aspx

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

kimbo305 posted:

I'll be there on Thursday and I guess I could try to ask the help desk. Have you tried asking someone at Massport?: http://www.massport.com/massport/Pages/Feedback.aspx

I actually work in that terminal so I've already asked everyone immediately available, but thanks so much for offering to take the time. That part of the airport's been pretty stale for a while and we every-day employees want to know what's coming. It's pretty sad but it was a big deal when one pizza place closed and became a different pizza place and we were all excited. There's nothing within walking distance and nobody parks here so we're stuck with terminal food if we don't bring anything from home. The whole construction project should be complete soon and I'm just wondering what I should expect because there's rumors flying all over about these great options but I'd like to see what the developers actually have planned. So from that summary you can see why I wouldn't ask anyone to spend any of their IRL time investigating, I'm just asking for people who have that certain ability to find anything using search engines.

I talk to Massport people somewhat often but ARE WE GETTING A TACO BELL just doesn't seem to fit into the conversation very well at any point. But thanks again amigo hope you have a nice trip.

e: I did send them an email using that link hopefully they get back to me.

Rubies fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 27, 2011

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rubies posted:

I talk to Massport people somewhat often but ARE WE GETTING A TACO BELL just doesn't seem to fit into the conversation very well at any point.
That's too specific and might not even be true. Ask about what new restaurants and stores might appear at the terminal.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Why do sugar packets at restaurants and cafes have different numbers on them? They always have various numbers so it doesn't look like they're lot numbers or anything.

Nicola
Apr 26, 2007
Hi there
I'm going to be on a trip to Zimbabwe soon, and was hoping to take some money with me on the grounds that I'll be in an area where the chances of finding an ATM is very low. However, I'll have a stopover in South Africa, which has quite low restrictions on the amount of money you can take with you.

Does anyone know if this restriction will apply to me, being that I'm literally just going to be hanging around in an airport for two hours?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nicola posted:

I'm going to be on a trip to Zimbabwe soon, and was hoping to take some money with me on the grounds that I'll be in an area where the chances of finding an ATM is very low. However, I'll have a stopover in South Africa, which has quite low restrictions on the amount of money you can take with you.

Does anyone know if this restriction will apply to me, being that I'm literally just going to be hanging around in an airport for two hours?

If you don't have to go through customs/show your passport/have a visa then the restrictions shouldn't apply to you. Police in airports can always do whatever the gently caress they want though.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Dudebro posted:

Try jdownloader actually. It's free and it's one of the best programs I've discovered...ever.

Play around with it and figure out the basics of how it works.

Go to the linkgrabber tab; add URL and parse the URL; see what happens.

Can you PM me the link? I'll try to do it for you.

Hm, I'm still working on trying this out with no luck on the link parsing.

I wish I could PM you the link, but this is on a company intranet unfortunately. I think that may be why the parser isn't working properly. Thanks for the help though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How can I really clean a pair of dirty black and white sambas?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
what's the origin of :catdrugs: ?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

computer parts posted:

what's the origin of :catdrugs: ?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3228418

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
What's the address of the website that comes up in every "Identify This Bug" thread? I never paid attention to it and now I want to identify a sweet-looking beetle.

charlesmartel11235
May 10, 2008

by Ozmaugh
This is a weird question, but how would I disposely safely and legally of too 500mL bottles of lab grade benzene and a kilogram of sodium chlorate, and get a reciept?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Brennanite posted:

What's the address of the website that comes up in every "Identify This Bug" thread? I never paid attention to it and now I want to identify a sweet-looking beetle.

https://www.bugguide.net

Also check out this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393077

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

charlesmartel11235 posted:

This is a weird question, but how would I disposely safely and legally of too 500mL bottles of lab grade benzene and a kilogram of sodium chlorate, and get a reciept?

The dump where I live takes hazardous materials for safe disposal. I've never asked, but they would probably give you a receipt if you asked. See if something similar is offered where you live.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've got a desktop and I just bought a new hard disk for it. There are only 2 places for hard disks in the case so I've replaced the secondary one. Now I want to replace the 80GB C drive with the 500GB drive I just took out. It's a bit old and I bought it refurbished so I don't have the xp install cds and I'd like to avoid that if possible anyway.

Can I make an image of the 80GB drive, make an 80GB partition on the other one and just copy the image onto it? It sounds way too easy.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Should work if you clone it using clonezilla or like tool.

E: Actually if you're not using the whole disk but just want to make a 80 gig primary partition it is a bit more tricky.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Say a business's slogan is "careful with our resources", what is the correct capitalisation when used on its own, say under a logo?

Careful with our resources
Careful With Our Resources
Careful with our Resources

Or something else? Specifically, I have seen the last one used and wondered if it is correct. I am not too hot on this area of the language.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Anjow posted:

Say a business's slogan is "careful with our resources", what is the correct capitalisation when used on its own, say under a logo?

Careful with our resources
Careful With Our Resources
Careful with our Resources

Or something else? Specifically, I have seen the last one used and wondered if it is correct. I am not too hot on this area of the language.

For titles:
"With" is a preposition, and those are not capitalized if short, which this is.
"Our" is an adjective, which are always capitalized.

So the proper method for a title is:
"Careful with Our Resources"

However, this is a motto, not a title, so I don't know if the same rules apply.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm in an admin apprenticeship in a debt collection company right now, and set to get the qualification within roughly the next 2 weeks. On paper, it says my apprenticeship ends in January. The company I am with wouldn't see it as necessary to increase my pay to minimum until then, qualification be damned, and I have no way to increase it through commissions despite asking.

I've also been offered an interview at another place run by a colleagues' brother as admin for a truck depot, with opportunities for financial training, but it isn't a sure thing.

I have no idea what to do and just want some advice.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

greazeball posted:

I've got a desktop and I just bought a new hard disk for it. There are only 2 places for hard disks in the case so I've replaced the secondary one. Now I want to replace the 80GB C drive with the 500GB drive I just took out. It's a bit old and I bought it refurbished so I don't have the xp install cds and I'd like to avoid that if possible anyway.

Can I make an image of the 80GB drive, make an 80GB partition on the other one and just copy the image onto it? It sounds way too easy.

It's kind of ghetto, but you don't really need a slot for a hard drive, you can just lay it on the bottom or stick it wherever it fits. Or you could buy an adapter to hook the hard drive up to a USB slot instead. You probably would have bought an external HD if you wanted to go that route though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'm in an admin apprenticeship in a debt collection company right now, and set to get the qualification within roughly the next 2 weeks. On paper, it says my apprenticeship ends in January. The company I am with wouldn't see it as necessary to increase my pay to minimum until then, qualification be damned, and I have no way to increase it through commissions despite asking.

I've also been offered an interview at another place run by a colleagues' brother as admin for a truck depot, with opportunities for financial training, but it isn't a sure thing.

I have no idea what to do and just want some advice.
Assume the worst for both sides. Which job would you rather toil for another year at if there were no promotions, no raises, no career advancing opportunities? How much is that qualification worth to you outside of your current job? Do you like it enough to consider doing it elsewhere, where the cert might still matter?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

kimbo305 posted:

Assume the worst for both sides. Which job would you rather toil for another year at if there were no promotions, no raises, no career advancing opportunities? How much is that qualification worth to you outside of your current job? Do you like it enough to consider doing it elsewhere, where the cert might still matter?

I'd rather go to the depot and work there, as it's just down the road compared to a 40 minute commute.

I'd want to stay to finish the apprenticeship as I've been there since last December, and if I were to leave right before I get it it'd just be silly. Plus, it's something to put on the CV.

I like doing the admin and helping people out, but it's got to the point where they're taking the piss out of me in terms of duties to pay.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'd rather go to the depot and work there, as it's just down the road compared to a 40 minute commute.

I'd want to stay to finish the apprenticeship as I've been there since last December, and if I were to leave right before I get it it'd just be silly. Plus, it's something to put on the CV.

I like doing the admin and helping people out, but it's got to the point where they're taking the piss out of me in terms of duties to pay.

If the standout reason you'd want to switch jobs is because of a change in commute, that's not a really strong enough reason, imo.
I mean, 40min each way is pretty numbing, but unless your pay is low enough where fuel costs and maybe lifestyle issues can really justify trying to cut commute time down, I don' think you should switch.

That said, take the interview and try to get specifics about how and why they'd give you the ok for the training there.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

charlesmartel11235 posted:

I would try contacting a science department at a nearby university; I'm sure some chemistry professor could at least point you in the right direction for your location if not take it themselves.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

change my name posted:

How can I really clean a pair of dirty black and white sambas?

I wear superstars, so I'm not totally familiar with the exact makeup of sambas, but I use a fingernail brush for the suede parts and windex wipes for everything else. If your shoes don't have suede, you can probably use anything that is made for cleaning leather, as long as it's not for a specific color of leather.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

greazeball posted:

Every hard drive manufacturer provides software to clone your old drive to a new one. If you didn't buy a boxed retail drive, and you can download the software from their website.

Don't bother making an 80GB partition, and just clone over the entire partition and expand it to fill the drive.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can someone tell me why it's popular for deadbeat Dads to run away to Florida?

I was told a very, very long time ago there were laws or something like that protecting them from paying child support or at least being jailed for not paying.

My father is mentally and physically ill and ran away to Florida in '98 or '99. He has never paid child support and owes me like $200k. I don't want to get it back - In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm emancipated from him so I can't get it if I wanted to. He's been in jail several times for domestic violence, DUIs, failure to pay child support, violating probation and restraining orders, the list goes on. Somehow when he moved to Florida he was absolved of all of this and nobody has been able to "reach" him since.

I just feel like I hear a lot about deadbeat parents running down to Florida and getting by somehow with no jail time. There has be a reason why Florida is a hotspot for lovely parents.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Is there something wrong with youtube? Everything else is working just fine for me, but Firefox and Explorer have both been telling me they can't find youtube for a day or two now.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Try switching to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) to see if it's a DNS resolution problem.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, but what does that mean?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
DNS servers are what your computer uses to find out what https://www.youtube.com's IP address is. When you can't connect to reliable sites (say, youtube, microsoft, apple, etc.) for a long time, the problem is generally DNS-related on your side.

Google "how to change DNS server" or something.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I've found that deleting my cookie for youtube.com resolves any issues. Haven't had that problem for a while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Okay. Thanks, guys. I'll look into both of those.