Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I switched to the Google Voice voicemail, but I apparently had a message in my Sprint account when I made the switch.
Is there anything I can do, or magic words I can say to a sprint tech, to make it so I don't get a new voicemail notification every goddamn time I reboot my phone? I found outdated instructions from 2004 saying that (area code)(first 3 digits)(MAIL) would work to get in, but I just got a mexican lady instead of the Sprint voicemail system.

Also, gently caress the local shop that has replaced my TP2 before because of the rainbow banding on the screen issue and now says "It's a cosmetic issue, we're not doing anything!" Nothing a quick call to the warranty department and friendly chatting with the tech there didn't fix, but still pretty drat annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

visuvius posted:

Well, I went in to my local store and the guy said because I didn't purchase it from Sprint, I would have to send the phone to HTC. Bummer. He told me I could try swinging by the other store nearby which has a repair center to see what they say but I imagine I'll get the same response. gently caress that sucks. I'm not even sure how the gently caress dealing with HTC would work, I'm not sure if I can be without my phone for the 2 or more weeks it would probably take.

Oh crap. I thought you were taking it to a repair center. Anyime I've taken a phone there they take it in the back and come out 5 minutes later and tell me they'll replace it. i might have to pay 20 or 30 bucks but I get a new phone out of it. I never get insurance on phones because they come with year warranties and I don't drop phones in water so if something goes wrong it's not going to be my fault. They always have replaced them for me. i had about 4 palm pre's and 3 Evo 4g's and 1 Evo 3d replaced all a little or no cost.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

So the sgs2 is heading to AT&T with a slideout keyboard...what's the chances they're sending it sprint like that?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Duckman2008 posted:

Wasn't that LG that promised the update? They do work together, but bugging LG would also be a good idea. Sprint retail reps are usually told jack poo poo, so any responses you get are probably just engadget articles. I have heard of people getting responses by email Dan Hesse (obviously not from him specifically).

Actually, LG released Gingerbread for a Romanian Optimus One variant a month ago, and AT&T announced yesterday that their variant is going to get it. I think this means the ball is in Sprint's court now.

Also, I didn't talk to a retail rep. I talked to a rep on the "live chat" thing on Sprint's website, and the dude said that the Gingerbread update was on its way, but the entry for this in the database he was looking at didn't have the date for when it would launch.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm having 2 issues with my 3d.

Reboot doesn't work. Like it'll just power down like normal. I have to press the power button to get it to reboot.

Also wifi seems to give up after awhile. It refuses to connect to my wifi network. After a reboot (more like a shutdown) it just works fine.

Reboot works fine on a fresh... reboot it seems though.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 27, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

3D problem: whenever I play music, the song always, always starts to speed up and eventually either stops completely, or it begins to cycle quickly through songs then stop. Restarting the phone doesn't do anything. It's getting really annoying, any ideas?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

change my name posted:

3D problem: whenever I play music, the song always, always starts to speed up and eventually either stops completely, or it begins to cycle quickly through songs then stop. Restarting the phone doesn't do anything. It's getting really annoying, any ideas?

Try a different music player.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Just tried the speed test app (east coast, my house is in a 4G zone):

3G: 20KB/s download, 15KB/s upload
4G: 560KB/s download, 100KB/s upload

I had no idea 3G was this bad.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

blargle posted:

Your 4G speeds are my 3G speeds. 4G is anywhere from 1,000KB/s to 6,000KB/s around here. Where do you live?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm about 8 miles outside NYC.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

blargle posted:

I'm about 8 miles outside NYC.

Me too, I get pretty bad 3g speeds AND coverage.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

You can mix and match iDEN and CDMA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint lost a lost of iDEN customers. iDEN coverage is awful, and iDEN sucks at text and internet, so anyone wanting more than talk is just hosed. In my experience the problem is most Nextel users just associate their crappy coverage with Sprint and assume that since their coverage sucks, Sprint's coverage in general sucks. They then leave for Verizon. Also, keep in mind Sprint was a huge player in business thanks to Nextel's huge business market, and from what I understand Verizon and AT&T came in and ate Sprint's lunch on business users. Sprint is currently in the process of doing a big push towards marketing to small business owners (I get to be the Smal Bus 360 sales person of my store. Woooo) and basically trying to get back in that game. Some cool initiatives actually. although its still very new.

I am part of the only Dedicated Care group that has been trained in this. I'm pretty excited about the opportunities we can offer our small business customers. Hey, if you have any that are marked VIP, I might be your Dedicated Care rep Duckman :allears:

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

blargle posted:

Sounds like whatever speed test app you're using is reporting in kilobytes per second instead of kilobits. 20 kBps = 160 kbps which still isn't great but not awful.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

visuvius posted:

Well, I went in to my local store and the guy said because I didn't purchase it from Sprint, I would have to send the phone to HTC. Bummer. He told me I could try swinging by the other store nearby which has a repair center to see what they say but I imagine I'll get the same response. gently caress that sucks. I'm not even sure how the gently caress dealing with HTC would work, I'm not sure if I can be without my phone for the 2 or more weeks it would probably take.
That's what you get for telling him that you purchased the phone from a dude on Craigslist. They don't actually keep records of how they sell what phones to whom. Had you simply acted as if you had purchased the phone directly from Sprint a few weeks ago, there wouldn't have been an issue.

Keep your mouth shut when you go to the next store, and the customer service rep won't gently caress with you.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yes, I switched it to kilobytes on purpose.

z16bitsega posted:

Sounds like whatever speed test app you're using is reporting in kilobytes per second instead of kilobits. 20 kBps = 160 kbps which still isn't great but not awful.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Actually, LG released Gingerbread for a Romanian Optimus One variant a month ago, and AT&T announced yesterday that their variant is going to get it. I think this means the ball is in Sprint's court now.

Also, I didn't talk to a retail rep. I talked to a rep on the "live chat" thing on Sprint's website, and the dude said that the Gingerbread update was on its way, but the entry for this in the database he was looking at didn't have the date for when it would launch.

Live chat is at the least the same as a retail rep. Online sales is still sales.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Not surprising, but the Galaxy s II has been spotted at the FCC. Should be coming out shortly. The article says it's 5mm taller and 3mm wider than the Euro one. That seems like a lot for just a radio change, so I wonder what other changes they've made to it?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 27, 2011

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I've been using the HTC Touch Pro 2 for about 18 months, and it appears to have lost all touch screen functionality. :negative:

Since it was only covered by a 12 month warranty, I don't think it would be terribly cost-effective to have it repaired.

I'm on the $30/mo SERO plan right now, so what would be my best option for a used replacement phone?

I just need to get by for another 6 months and then I'll be eligible for an upgrade.

I'm worried that if I pick any old unlocked sprint phone, it somehow won't be compatible with SERO. Or am I just being paranoid?

EDIT: Why the hell is every single unlocked Sprint phone unavailable on Amazon.com? http://amzn.to/ppcE7S

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 27, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

webcams for christ posted:

I've been using the HTC Touch Pro 2 for about 18 months, and it appears to have lost all touch screen functionality. :negative:

Since it was only covered by a 12 month warranty, I don't think it would be terribly cost-effective to have it repaired.

I'm on the $30/mo SERO plan right now, so what would be my best option for a used replacement phone?

I just need to get by for another 6 months and then I'll be eligible for an upgrade.

I'm worried that if I pick any old unlocked sprint phone, it somehow won't be compatible with SERO. Or am I just being paranoid?[/url]
You're fine with activating any old dumbphone. They're all* compatible with the $30/mo SERO. You're required to upgrade your account to SERO Premium $40/mo if you wish to activate any 3G smartphone though.

*except for the Samsung Instinct, lol

And what's with this locked/unlocked nonsense? This is a CDMA provider, not GSM. All of our phones have a Sprint logo and serial number, and that's all you can ever use.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 27, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Grumpwagon posted:

Not surprising, but the Galaxy s II has been spotted at the FCC. Should be coming out shortly. The article says it's 5mm taller and 3mm wider than the Euro one. That seems like a lot for just a radio change, so I wonder what other changes they've made to it?

Is it normal for it to have 2 WiMax antennas? Looks like a 2.6GHz Transmit and Receive and a 2.5GHz Receive only antenna.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

td4guy posted:

You're fine with activating any old dumbphone. They're all* compatible with the $30/mo SERO. You're required to upgrade your account to SERO Premium $40/mo if you wish to activate any 3G smartphone though.

*except for the Samsung Instinct, lol

And what's with this locked/unlocked nonsense? This is a CDMA provider, not GSM. All of our phones have a Sprint logo and serial number, and that's all you can ever use.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm just very poorly-read about cell phone networks and just assumed that if I'm buying a used phone, I have to get one that's "unlocked."

It looks like it would be easiest to get a refurb from Sprint, and I'm between 3 dumbphones:

Sanyo SCP-2700
LG Lotus
Samsung Reclaim

I haven't looked into repair costs for the Touch Pro 2, I'm just kind of assuming it would be more than $50.00

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
You should've made sure to take in into a corporate with a repair center in the first place. There's no need to tell them where the phone came from, so don't.

Mumur
May 13, 2011

Pooh Bear
I recently moved and due to terrible coverage at my house, Sprint sent me an Airvana device. Overall it seems to work well, but only for three of the four phones in my house. My wifes phone (EVO) will not reconnect to the Airvana network if she leaves the area. It requires a reboot to fix, and turning off/on airplane mode doesn't fix it. The other phones in the house (EVO 3D, Seek and Lotus) don't have this problem and connect fine. Is there some setting on the EVO that is causing it to not connect properly?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

spidoman posted:

Try a different music player.

Still happens when I tried winamp. It seems the voice dialer keeps popping up, any solutions?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Mumur posted:

I recently moved and due to terrible coverage at my house, Sprint sent me an Airvana device. Overall it seems to work well, but only for three of the four phones in my house. My wifes phone (EVO) will not reconnect to the Airvana network if she leaves the area. It requires a reboot to fix, and turning off/on airplane mode doesn't fix it. The other phones in the house (EVO 3D, Seek and Lotus) don't have this problem and connect fine. Is there some setting on the EVO that is causing it to not connect properly?

I don't know, but if you find a solution, let me know, because I have an Airrave (the previous version) and my Evo 3D won't connect to it most of the time, but my husband's will.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aredna posted:

Is it normal for it to have 2 WiMax antennas?
Yes, see MIMO and WiMAX MIMO.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

I'm worried that if I pick any old unlocked sprint phone, it somehow won't be compatible with SERO. Or am I just being paranoid?
I don't know why no one caught this yet, but Sprint will always repair or replace phones showing a defect not caused my misuse or abuse. As long as your phone isn't showing water or physical damage, they'll repair or replace it for $35. The fee is waived if you have TEP insurance on your line. Take it to a Sprint store with repair technicians.

So you're aware, even replacing your TP2 with another used TP2 will add the $10 fee to your line. A 4G capable phone will cost another $10 per month.

[EDIT]
Regarding that Samsung Within Galaxy S2, assuming they're measuring at the top and not the thicker bottom, 3mm thicker brings it to 11.49mm, or 0.45in. Its disappointing, but still thinner than the Evo and Evo3D.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 27, 2011

jakeledel
Jul 17, 2003

Is Sprint still doing the trade in your Evo 4G for $150?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

[EDIT]
Regarding that Samsung Within Galaxy S2, assuming they're measuring at the top and not the thicker bottom, 3mm thicker brings it to 11.49mm, or 0.45in. Its disappointing, but still thinner than the Evo and Evo3D.

Evo 3d it is!

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Dear retarded goon with the sprint.com username rtate9914. You signed up to sprint.com with my email address. Please change that ASAP.

Also why the gently caress are any of you considering the Within? It's a Samsung product. It will gently caress up on you in some spectacular fashion, or something basic won't work for poo poo until a year later.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 28, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm just very poorly-read about cell phone networks and just assumed that if I'm buying a used phone, I have to get one that's "unlocked."

It looks like it would be easiest to get a refurb from Sprint, and I'm between 3 dumbphones:

Sanyo SCP-2700
LG Lotus
Samsung Reclaim

I haven't looked into repair costs for the Touch Pro 2, I'm just kind of assuming it would be more than $50.00

LG Lotus is best, even if it is likely only available in purple. Also, craigslist is your friend.

News for Sprint:
Silver Premier Overrides are ending July 31st: So basically, they are no longer grandfathering in yearly upgrades. August 1st the only way to get a yearly upgrade is if you have been with Sprint for 10 years, or for whatever crazy reason have the higher plans. Or if you call in and bitch they might be sympathetic.

Kyocera Echo gets update to Android 2.3. Say what you will, but Kyocera just beat Samsung on getting a phone updated (beat the Epic). And within 6 months. If only it wasn't a gimmick. Galaxy Tab also got an update to 2.3, and updates for the Nexus, BBerry Bold and Samsung Replenish.

Sprint insurance is officially $8 a month. If you do not have insurance and want it, Sprint is offering anyone insurance for the month of August regardless of what your phone is and how long you have had it. It cannot be broken and such of course (fraud). So if you want insurance, there ya go.

If you have iDEN, expect some decent promos to get your phone over to Sprint CDMA.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chappy posted:

Also why the gently caress are any of you considering the Within? It's a Samsung product. It will gently caress up on you in some spectacular fashion, or something basic won't work for poo poo until a year later.

This has been rehashed several times in this thread already. Besides being drat sexy looking, we have fingers crossed that this phone will be as good as the European version. Doubt it, but one can hope.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH
I need to scour this thread better, but I'm sensing a lot of Samsung hate. I wish to add my discontent at my Epic. It's a buggy POS more than half of the time, and a mediocre phone too.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
With regard to Premier Silver overrides, does that just mean you won't be able to email someone and get an upgrade on your account? Or does it mean those of us who have gotten the override put on our account already will lose it come July 31 if we don't buy a phone by then?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Appachai posted:

So the sgs2 is heading to AT&T with a slideout keyboard...what's the chances they're sending it sprint like that?

Probably nil since nobody is going to buy a phone that reminds them of the Epic. AT&T users haven't had the joy of Epic ownership.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

[EDIT]

Taller and wider, not thicker. There's no thickness measurement on the FCC image. Not that I'd be surprised if it does end up being thicker as well.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sanyo SCP-2700
LG Lotus
Samsung Reclaim

The Reclaim is out, because SERO people aren't allowed to activate it on their $30/mo plans. Requires the extra $10/mo for us, even though normal consumer and EPRP plans don't require it.

Go with the Lotus.

Or look into that $35 repair/replace thing that goku chewbacca mentioned. I know that with insurance, they can activate another TP2 on your line and keep you on the $30/mo SERO plan. Perhaps you could swing that even without insurance!

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

nate fisher posted:

This has been rehashed several times in this thread already. Besides being drat sexy looking, we have fingers crossed that this phone will be as good as the European version. Doubt it, but one can hope.

Yeah keep that dream alive.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
:siren: Sprint announces LTE deal with LightSquared :siren:

I know you are all completely surprised by this turn of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

:siren: Sprint announces LTE deal with LightSquared :siren:

I know you are all completely surprised by this turn of events.

And then stock prices take a 17% hit :(