Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I made peace with the temple, the strike against Fallout 2 was the mandatory final boss. Even if you convince those dudes to join you and activate the turrets, the guy has 999hp, has instant aggro against you, and can one-shot an average character from the entire screen away. I got lucky by just defending and eventually a turret caught his attention. Everyone was pinging away for 25-50 damage and the turrets got a few lucky critical hits. I was playing as a social character and even with Enclave power armor the guy was a beast.

Worth it for one of the coolest 2D animated death throe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So is Cthulhu Saves the World supposed to be some sort of hipster ironic humor?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Games shouldn't force you do things like "change options" or "immerse yourself in a fictional world" to have fun.

More like even at the fastest speed the combat still drags.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Levantine posted:

If you're talking about the remake of the 1st on PSP, yeah it's great. There is another one for I think the DS (maybe PSP too) called Covenant of the Plume but I know nothing about it.

And yeah, you're right. I've never met anyone who disliked VP1 - I should have said more obscure or something. VP2 is an amazing game as well. They translated the action-y battle system to 3D really well and both the graphics and music are just out of this world - probably a contender for best on the PS2.

I know someone who, to this day, refuses to play VP1. The sole reason given for this is being unable to stand the echo effect on Valkyrie's battle voice. :psyduck:

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is Cthulhu Saves the World supposed to be some sort of hipster ironic humor?

It's just a parody of old school RPGs, I don't know if I'd call it hipster ironic humor. Just doesn't take itself seriously and makes ya laugh occasionally. Death of Breath VII is made by the same people(basically the same game mechanics) and I found them both to be enjoyable. Being able to clear out dungeons and grind really fast makes them stress free and fun, although they can become fairly easy even on hard mode because of this.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So what's the general consensus in this thread on Resonance of Fate? I've been checking out videos and reviews of it lately and it seems pretty cool, but not quite enough to make me go out and buy it. There doesn't seem to be a demo on the 360 unfortunately.

One thing I've noticed in the reviews is that they've said the story can be a little goofy at times. Is it the sort of RPG that you only play for the gameplay or is there an actual decent story behind it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So what's the general consensus in this thread on Resonance of Fate? I've been checking out videos and reviews of it lately and it seems pretty cool, but not quite enough to make me go out and buy it. There doesn't seem to be a demo on the 360 unfortunately.

One thing I've noticed in the reviews is that they've said the story can be a little goofy at times. Is it the sort of RPG that you only play for the gameplay or is there an actual decent story behind it?

You're only in it for the gameplay and the gameplay gets old fast. Doesn't help that the game lays it all out for you at the start and you never really have to change your tactics once you get things figured out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dis astranagant posted:

You're only in it for the gameplay and the gameplay gets old fast. Doesn't help that the game lays it all out for you at the start and you never really have to change your tactics once you get things figured out.
You do play the game slightly differently later on, in that you have to start using the unique property of the handguns. But yes, generally most of the game is played in the same fashion and no amount of gun customization/skills change that much. You just get bigger and more frequent numbers in all of your moves. Some people have real difficulty with the game, but if you master most of the mechanics down quickly the whole thing kind of crumbles and it's very rare you will see challenge until the post-game. Gun customization can be fun at times though. There's also a ton of costume dress-up~

The story is sort of episodic: each chapter is something of a single episode of anime, with a small arc, some side quests, and usually running around and unlocking new parts of the world. Generally during these you're mostly just there to enjoy the gameplay and watch the characters interact a little bit.

Periodically you get some exposition about some overarcing plot that generally makes little sense and has nothing to do with your cast until near the end of the game.

Generally it's a good game though, but very polarizing in my experience. I believe it all hinges on how accepting you are of the somewhat repetitive game play.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

UselessLurker posted:

I know someone who, to this day, refuses to play VP1. The sole reason given for this is being unable to stand the echo effect on Valkyrie's battle voice. :psyduck:

When I first played VP1, that was sincerely one of my favorite things about the game - how cool Lenneth looked and sounded. I love the echo of her voice when she does Nibelung Valesti or whatever. "To my side, mine Einjeriar!"

Typing that made me want to play it again. Time to find my disc...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Goddamn it Rita, why did you loving die to one hit from a bow skeleton? That brought out my twitch reset response. Suikoden Tactics doesn't need 108, right?

edit: Also, the biggest complaint right now is that some retard decided to keep Kyril's voice actress when he's a kid to do his voice as a young man.

...in the same tone.

why

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 24, 2011

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My solution to the temple in Fallout 2 was to start a game run, immediately run all the way to the enclave base and get power armor and weapons, drop them all at the entrance of the temple, and use the item duplication trick to start any new character with said items. Of course the temple takes longer than usual if you send every enemy flying with a blow from a super sledge so I don't know why I did that. I guess I just start every game with sequence breaking for items since combat isn't really the point of fallout the way I play it.

I love how amidst all the dated pop culture references, there is a parody of Scientology and Tom Cruise that was years ahead of its time. I hear it was supposed to be central to the plot of an unimplemented alternate ending. I wish they had spent more time on the game if that were true. :(

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Goddamn it Rita, why did you loving die to one hit from a bow skeleton? That brought out my twitch reset response. Suikoden Tactics doesn't need 108, right?

edit: Also, the biggest complaint right now is that some retard decided to keep Kyril's voice actress when he's a kid to do his voice as a young man.

...in the same tone.

why

All that and it's still better than Suikoden IV.

I really wish Konami would bring back the Suikoden brand with a real sequel. V got nearly everything right (aside from the boring railroad that is the beginning) and was probably the best since I & II. Just give me more of that please.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tae posted:

...in the same tone.

why

There's less than 108 characters to get, around 60. One of them can only be recruited on NG+. I don't think there's any ending changes if you get all the characters or do all the missions, I know I missed some in my run.

And Kyril's VA can only do one voice anyway.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 390 days!
As someone who (oddly enough) liked Phantasy Star Universe's single-player campaign, would I also like PSO+ for the Gamecube? From what I read, that version tried to make the game much more offline-friendly, and I like the option for split-screen co-op should the opportunity arise.

Also the way Konami currently operates, don't expect anything Suikoden ever again unless Kojima takes interest in the franchise. Their entire development platform is "make whatever Hideo-sensei wants~~" and sporadically outsourcing the rest of their games to Western 3rd-party developers.

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

As someone who (oddly enough) liked Phantasy Star Universe's single-player campaign, would I also like PSO+ for the Gamecube? From what I read, that version tried to make the game much more offline-friendly, and I like the option for split-screen co-op should the opportunity arise.
Err... like Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1+2? It's functional but I wouldn't say it really has a campaign at all. It's just a dungeon crawler through and through. And without randomized maps, besides that buttons will be in different areas different times, leading to a different path. The layouts are all the same.

Seriously, if you consider PSU to have an existent single-player campaign, which I'll take your word that it does, then you'll be bored to tears with PSO's.

Episode 1 is pretty vapid. Episode 2 actually introduces some simple plot lines and intrigue. Episode 3 (the card-game) apparently has a real story, but if you don't take the right character to the right battle (and bear in mind there's no indication which you should take) then you'll miss out on all the dialogue and cutscenes.
There's an Episode 4 as well, but I think that's only present for the PC version.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Not sure what's going on here but apparently Chantelise is coming out on July 29th?

http://store.steampowered.com/video/70420/80955

Demo already out too on Steam.

vvv Ohh cool, thanks. I must have missed the thread on the first few pages.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Not sure what's going on here but apparently Chantelise is coming out on July 29th?

http://store.steampowered.com/video/70420/80955

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426939

Steam isn't going to take preorders, but it's going to be 10% off for the first week. :10bux: is regular price.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I would really love to play Valkyrie Profile again as I remember it being one of my favorite games as a kid. I just don't think that, as an adult, I'd be able to stomach the many looooooong expository cutscenes every character gets when they join. The first one, with Arngrim and Jelanda, is like 45 minutes. Why didn't that game have a skip cutscene button.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I would really love to play Valkyrie Profile again as I remember it being one of my favorite games as a kid. I just don't think that, as an adult, I'd be able to stomach the many looooooong expository cutscenes every character gets when they join. The first one, with Arngrim and Jelanda, is like 45 minutes. Why didn't that game have a skip cutscene button.

Yes, but to be fair they are pretty well written and not really typical JRPG stuff (if I remember properly). I seem to recall them all being super tragic and compelling.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As I recall, only a handful of characters have really long backstories. Arngrim and that female mage (not Jelanda, the one from later in the game) being some of the longest. Most others start and wrap up in a few minutes or less.

The voice acting is still pretty silly/overdramatic at times but it was still a fun game. I played it recently too so I don't think it's rose tinted glasses or anything.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Play it on an emulator and just speed everything up

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
What are the differences between the DS and PSP Knights in the Nightmare, and which would you recommend? I've heard it described as a strategy-shooter; do stylus controls work better for it?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
From the few minutes I've put into it, I have no idea how you'd play it without a stylus,

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Blenheim posted:

What are the differences between the DS and PSP Knights in the Nightmare, and which would you recommend? I've heard it described as a strategy-shooter; do stylus controls work better for it?

Wildly different GUI layouts and control schemes is the big thing. PSP version also has some extra animated cutscenes, and slightly better resolution. I believe the PSP version also comes with Yggdra Union for free, and you get the bonus character in KitN by default.

I honestly can't imagine trying to play the game without the touch screen, but by all accounts of people who've tried it, they say it still plays fine. Were I to have to decide today, I'd still go with the DS version because I find the DS a lot more comfortable to play games on than the PSP, but that's just personal preference.

Edit: Also you're posting this in the RPG thread so I figure I'd just mention that the game is as much of an RPG as Football Manager is. Which is to say it's not an RPG at all and I have no idea why they classify it as such.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 27, 2011

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blenheim posted:

Having played both versions, I can safely say it's a matter of personal preference. Having first played it on the DS, I had no idea how they'd make it work on the PSP, yet it still somehow does, and quite well at that. It's really your choice, though the PSP does have some slight system advantages (bonus character storyline, slightly better resolution).

However, the DS DOES have one fairly significant advantage over the PSP, at least to me. In the PSP version, the save screen is your typical PSP game save screen, while in the DS version you get the incredibly depressing graveyard in which the ghosts you fuse into other ghosts go forever. It's very depressing to see any graves on it, which makes one focus more on not doing any fusing.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 390 days!

Blenheim posted:

I've only played the DS version and I can't even imagine how hard this would be playing this with the PSP's nub. Apparently Sting didn't put the effort into this PSP port as they did when porting Yggdra Union or Riviera. It's a fantastic game once you get past the absurd learning curve.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Infinity Gaia posted:

Having played both versions, I can safely say it's a matter of personal preference. Having first played it on the DS, I had no idea how they'd make it work on the PSP, yet it still somehow does, and quite well at that. It's really your choice, though the PSP does have some slight system advantages (bonus character storyline, slightly better resolution).

However, the DS DOES have one fairly significant advantage over the PSP, at least to me. In the PSP version, the save screen is your typical PSP game save screen, while in the DS version you get the incredibly depressing graveyard in which the ghosts you fuse into other ghosts go forever. It's very depressing to see any graves on it, which makes one focus more on not doing any fusing.

What's the bonus character storyline? I'm guessing you don't mean the difference between red and blue side right?

Losing the graveyard save screen would be a tragedy though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Aren't bullet hell types of games normally played with a joystick anyway? I don't see why people think the PSP version would be so weird.

For me the main knock against the DS version is that it's now rare and kind of expensive whereas the PSP version is very cheap and relatively easy to find. Atlus games with distribution problems, imagine that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

HondaCivet posted:

Aren't bullet hell types of games normally played with a joystick anyway? I don't see why people think the PSP version would be so weird.

A joystick, not an analog stick. Analog sticks are pretty much the worst input device you could have for a typical bullet hell game. Not sure if you can use the D-Pad for the PSP version though.

It's weird because the DS game was very obviously designed around the touch screen. You have to jump frequently between fast sweeping/arcing motions and small micro-dodges, do weird circular motions (to switch L/C or switch enemy elements), move at odd angles, and point at stuff accurately on the screen. You use the touch screen for everything except hiding and pausing.

So they had to readjust a bunch of stuff for the PSP version, putting in a movement speed toggle, putting L/C on a button, and changing the GUI around so the items sit in all 4 corners as opposed to just the upper right.

So obviously it all still works, but it's not hard to see why someone would think it would be really awkward to play if they didn't know how they changed it up to suit the PSP.

(The 4-corners thing was a really good idea in general though, I wish it was setup like that in the DS version)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I don't want to resurrect the Planescape: Torment thread but is there a safe place to store stuff? This is my first playthrough and from what npcs said Every item can potentially open up a portal I want to hoard everything. I just left the mortuary and I'm in the Hive.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Any container will do. Things dropped on ground disappear after a set amount of time. The tomb next to the mortuary is a popular spot.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I have the both the DS and PSP versions of KitN and while it does control a little better on the DS, it's still perfectly playable on the PSP. The main thing is trying to graze bullets for bonus exp in the PSP version is just asking to get killed. The UI really is a lot clearer and less cluttered.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I don't know where else to ask this, but uh, Exit Fate question here... I know that the second battle in the game can net you a recruitable character if you get an A ranking. What does getting A rankings all the way down the line do for you? I've heard not getting the character from that second battle pretty much just starts a downward spiral but Jesus' tits, you literally have to do the battle without any of your units getting hit to get an A. (95+%). so if I don't get this guy and still pass the battles, does it very negatively impact my game?

For non OHGODHELPME content: I've been playing Rogue Galaxy again. It's a little repetitive but I just really like the game for some reason. Something about crafting badass new weapons and such is just fun!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 12, 2014

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jesto posted:

Also, there's a glitch that gives you a massive upperhand in war battles, too, but I doubt you want the fun of later battles taken from you by knowing it.

Would it help me with Grunthall? Because I'm willing to just pretend I didn't know it after this battle. The problem I'm seeing is that I keep getting 94%. Yes, seriously, 94%. 100, 84, 100. Presumably because one of my units is getting hit. Which is enraging all in its own right. Unless it's just talking about static troop numbers, in which case I guess I'd need like 1900+ or something?

This game is excellent and making me want to go back and play Suiko 1 and if I can find it, 2, but goddamn Grunthall is making that vein pop out in my forehead.

You could probably just throw that battle glitch in a spoiler...

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Got this from Atlus today:

Any preorder bonus is better than nothing at all but I'm a little sick of the gimpy mini-soundtracks, especially because this one looks like it's going to take up a whole jewel case and an extra box. P3P had that sweet-rear end Junpei hat instead, this time we should get a copy of Maya's heartboob jacket.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, it looks the same as the Persona pre-order, so I gotta get it or they wont look as good together on the shelf.

I would have liked a double pack with Eternal Punishment though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Jigoku San posted:

I would have liked a double pack with Eternal Punishment though.

They still need to MAKE a proper PSP version of EP, though. I highly suspect that'll be Atlus' swan song for the PSP and their last title for the system.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

They still need to MAKE a proper PSP version of EP, though. I highly suspect that'll be Atlus' swan song for the PSP and their last title for the system.

I dunno, they tend to hang onto systems a little longer than their main lives. Persona 4 for the PS2 and now Devil Survivor 2 for the DS (rather than 3DS). I could see an EP game coming out for the PSP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MotU posted:

I dunno, they tend to hang onto systems a little longer than their main lives. Persona 4 for the PS2 and now Devil Survivor 2 for the DS (rather than 3DS). I could see an EP game coming out for the PSP

That's what he said: "I suspect Eternal Punishment will be their final PSP game."