Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Battle Royale, ZeeToo, Atom Ant in Adamant, 50
Battle Royale, ZeeToo, Binary Mary, 50
Battle Royale, ZeeToo, Crotch Rot, 50
Battle Royale, ZeeToo, Podima, 50

Watch this still go bad for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Some interesting findings. Spoiled for those who don't believe in testing.

It seems that a basic Human Swordsman, without armor, sword skill 7 alone, can defeat ANY and ALL kobolds with a sword and board, even with all relevant skills set to grandmaster, WELL above the point limit. And by any and all, I mean that the one adept human swordsman can slaughter 50 grandmaster melee kobolds in a row, if only 1 at a time.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
drat, even the betting in this is twice as big as before. This tournament is shaping up quite nicely.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

Some interesting findings. Spoiled for those who don't believe in testing.

It seems that a basic Human Swordsman, without armor, sword skill 7 alone, can defeat ANY and ALL kobolds with a sword and board, even with all relevant skills set to grandmaster, WELL above the point limit. And by any and all, I mean that the one adept human swordsman can slaughter 50 grandmaster melee kobolds in a row, if only 1 at a time.

Just ran a single test, kobold with 14 skill in sword vs human with 7 skill, kobold won. I think you might be a bit hyperbolic in your assessment. ;)

code:
Kobold 1 slashes Human 1 in the left upper leg with his iron short sword, fracturing the bone!
A sensory nerve has been severed and a tendon has been torn!
Kobold 1 kicks Human 1 in the right lower arm with his left foot, bruising the muscle!
Human 1 charges at Kobold 1!
Human 1 strikes at Kobold 1 but the shot is parried!
Human 1 collides with Kobold 1!
Kobold 1 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
Kobold 1 counterstrikes!
Kobold 1 slashes Human 1 in the left foot with his iron short sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Human 1 falls over.
Kobold 1 counterstrikes!
Kobold 1 strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
The Kobold 1 stands up.
Kobold 1 counterstrikes!
Kobold 1 slashes Human 1 in the left hand with his iron short sword, tearing apart the muscle!
Many nerves have been severed!
The iron short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
Kobold 1 twists the embedded iron short sword around in Human 1's left hand!
Kobold 1 scratches Human 1 in the right upper arm, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Kobold 1 stabs Human 1 in the left upper leg with his iron short sword, shattering the bone and shattering the left hip's bone!
A tendon has been torn!
A ligament in the left hip has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Kobold 1 twists the embedded iron short sword around in Human 1's left upper leg!
Human 1 counterstrikes!
Kobold 1 slashes Human 1 in the upper body with his iron short sword, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the right lung!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
Human 1 is having trouble breathing!
Human 1 misses Kobold 1!
The Human 1 gives in to pain.
Kobold 1 twists the embedded iron short sword around in Human 1's upper body!
Kobold 1 stabs Human 1 in the head with his iron short sword, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
Human 1 has been struck down.
Perhaps of note, it matters how far you place them apart. Kobolds won't get their first-strike advantage if you leave an odd number of spaces between them, or too few or too many spaces.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 28, 2011

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Battle Royale, Silverminnow, Binary Mary, 250

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hm.... I'll grant that after the first dead kobold, I didn't reset the arena, so there might have been odd numbers involved. I just know that I plopped down 50 of 'em in a row, and even when one of them sliced open the human's lower body about halfway through, that human STILL killed 'em all.

*testing*

Bingo! Odd squares, adept human wins. Even, (such as in the proper starting lineup) grandmaster kobold wins. Wow, I thought you were kidding about the Patented Fairfight(tm) technology! 10 squares really, REALLY matters.

Maybe, just maybe, I can find a melee kobold that's competition worthy after all.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Just curious about how interest works....

If I end a round with 5 points left, 20% interest means I'll have 6 points, correct?

And then if I end the next round with 21 points, I'll start the next with 25?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

Just curious about how interest works....

If I end a round with 5 points left, 20% interest means I'll have 6 points, correct?

And then if I end the next round with 21 points, I'll start the next with 25?

Yup. It rounds to the nearest tenth or hundredth space, so you can get right down to the wire with it if you want to.

Battle Royal, Vox Nihili, Binary Mary, 50

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

cow leather comes up before dwarf leather

Oh... oh God. I was dressing my kobold in kobold leather armor... I guess I thought it meant kobold-made.

I'm a monster. :ohdear:

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Battle Royale, Dallbun, Biggs Manfighter, 100

I was going to side with the goblin, but I just can't bring myself to bet on a gladiator named Dies Horribly.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

megane posted:

Oh... oh God. I was dressing my kobold in kobold leather armor... I guess I thought it meant kobold-made.

I'm a monster. :ohdear:

:stare: That...that was my kobold's aunt...Test Subject #3451... How...how could you!?

...nah, I already pulled that joke in the IRC. Yeah, try to use Cow leather. The creature name refers to which creature it came from.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Alright, I have the Battle Royale fighters in position and ready to go! Results will follow as I run, record, and write-up the mayhem.

Here's the format:

Yes, that central area is a lava pit. Falling in does not constitute immediate disqualification this time around, but it will kill you quite quickly. The last gladiator breathing will advance to the tournament!

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
Just gonna quickly put in a bet before the results come in:

Battle Royale, TheWhaler, Grodimus Thunderbeard, 150

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Podima posted:

:argh: His name is BIGGS MANFIGHTER and he'll bite your noses off! Except for Maugrim and Bozikek, youse two are cool.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Actually, my bet was for Binary Mary, not Crotch Rot, other than that though, awesome spread sheet.

Fixed and fixed.

code:
===========================================================
Fight: Brawl
Atom Ant in Adamant vs. Biggs Manfighter vs. Binary Mary vs. Crotch Rot vs. Dies Horribly vs. Grodimus Thunderbeard
-----------------------------------------------------------
Chump                  Champ                  Change Payout
Tag Plastic            Atom Ant in Adamant       100    TBD
FiddlersThree          Atom Ant in Adamant       100    TBD
Ionnracht              Atom Ant in Adamant        50    TBD
Jazzimus               Atom Ant in Adamant       200    TBD
Samopsa                Atom Ant in Adamant       100    TBD
ChickenWing            Atom Ant in Adamant       200    TBD
Klokwurk               Atom Ant in Adamant       100    TBD
ZeeToo                 Atom Ant in Adamant        50    TBD
Maugrim                Biggs Manfighter          150    TBD
Bozikek                Biggs Manfighter          100    TBD
longgonejohn           Biggs Manfighter          200    TBD
HiHo ChiRho            Biggs Manfighter          300    TBD
Klokwurk               Biggs Manfighter          100    TBD
Gildiss                Biggs Manfighter          100    TBD
Podima                 Biggs Manfighter          100    TBD
ZeeToo                 Biggs Manfighter           50    TBD
Dallbun                Biggs Manfighter          100    TBD
Jimmy4400nav           Binary Mary               100    TBD
Tag Plastic            Binary Mary               100    TBD
Arrhythmia             Binary Mary               100    TBD
longgonejohn           Binary Mary               100    TBD
Orv                    Binary Mary               500    TBD
Goatie                 Binary Mary                10    TBD
ZeeToo                 Binary Mary                50    TBD
Silverminnow           Binary Mary               250    TBD
Vox Nihili             Binary Mary                50    TBD
Krysmphoenix           Crotch Rot                200    TBD
Jeans                  Crotch Rot                100    TBD
steinrokkan            Crotch Rot                 50    TBD
ChickenWing            Crotch Rot                200    TBD
Iunnrais               Crotch Rot                100    TBD
ZeeToo                 Crotch Rot                 50    TBD
RickVoid               Dies Horribly            1000    TBD
Anchors                Dies Horribly              10    TBD
Synthorange            Dies Horribly             100    TBD
Pure kamikaze          Dies Horribly             100    TBD
Erakko                 Dies Horribly             200    TBD
Public Opinion         Grodimus Thunderbeard     150    TBD
goatface               Grodimus Thunderbeard     131    TBD
Boing                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     250    TBD
Jonis                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     500    TBD
AmadeusVonBlastoise    Grodimus Thunderbeard     150    TBD
Zarah                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     200    TBD
TheWhaler              Grodimus Thunderbeard     150    TBD
Total                                                  7001
===========================================================

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Last minute stuff!!

Battle Royale, Dirty Frank, Grodimus Thunderbeard, 100

longgonejohn
Oct 30, 2010
AHHHH, the two fighters I bet on are right next to each other! There goes 300 dwarf bucks.

longgonejohn
Oct 30, 2010
Thank you all for this Tournement though, I can't wait to see Clown Baby kick some rear end. Or you know die...

longgonejohn fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 28, 2011

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You're still referring to Biggs Manfighter as Podima, Vox.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Battle Royale, Fredrik1, Dies Horrible, 250

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Battle Royale Results:siren:

Biggs Manfighter the dwarf, armed with silver mace, oaken shield, and copper mail, takes the 9 o'clock position. Grodimus Thunderbeard the elf, carrying a steel long sword and naught else, takes the 11 o'clock position. Atom Ant in Adamant, a soldier ant woman bearing a silver flail and protected by an expensive adamantine helm, assumes the 1 o'clock position. Dies Horribly the goblin, with his steel pick and copper helm, is at the 3 o'clock spot. Crotch Rot the kobold, holding an iron short sword and oak buckler and armored with several pieces of leather, stands at 5 o'clock. Finally, Binary Mary the soldier ant woman brings a silver war hammer, copper shield, copper mail, and assorted leathers to her 7 o'clock spot.

The signal is given, and the six warriors burst into action! Season Four has officially begun! Biggs Manfighter the dwarf and Binary Mary the ant woman move toward each other to engage, as do Grodimus Thunderbeard the elf and Atom Ant in Adamant the ant woman. Crotch Rot and Dies Horribly both move toward the Binary Mary/Biggs Manfighter position, wisely choosing to pile onto an ongoing duel rather than staging their own.

Biggs Manfighter opens the festivities with a swing of his silver mace, aimed directly at Binary Mary's unarmored head! The soldier ant woman raises her shield to block, but is simply not quick enough to protect herself from the dwarf's lightning-fast blow. With neither helmet nor skull to impede its progress, the mace smashes cleanly through Mary's head, spattering ichor against the arena wall in the process! Binary Mary's lifeless body crumples to the floor.

Meanwhile, Grodimus the elf engages Atom Ant north of the lava pit. Atom Ant finds herself with precarious footing at the very edge of the pit, with Grodimus able to engage at a safe distance. Grodimus opens things up with a truly elvish strike, scratching at one of the ant woman's vulnerable hands with sharp nails! The effeminate but surprisingly effective attack succeeds in digging through chitin and tearing into underlying ligaments! In response, Atom Ant charges wildly at her taller but weaker foe! Her flail hits home upon Grodimus's leg with moderate effect, and the two warriors collide with incredible force! They roll forward two paces, right up against the arena wall. Atom Ant is immediately back on her feet, now pinning the hapless elf beneath her! Grodimus attempts a thrust with his steel long sword from the ground, but Atom Ant parries, then wallops the elf with her flail right in the abdomen, separating the lower spine! Grodimus is essentially crippled from the waste down.

Now, Biggs and Crotch Rot face off. The kobold immediately attempts to use his iron short sword to gut Biggs, but the dwarf catches the blow upon his oak shield and immediately counters! The mace trike goes high as Crotch Rot ducks underneath. Biggs wastes no time, though, and charges into the kobold before the diminutive creature can level another strike! Crotch Rot takes a glancing blow to his buckler hand and falls to the ground hard, clearly stunned by the impact. Before he can even begin to recover, Biggs brings down his silver mace once more, this time utterly crushing Crotch Rot's gloved sword hand beneath the weapon's significant heft! The sword slips from Crotch Rot's mangled hand, just as the mace comes down again. This strike lands upon the tiny warrior's chest, snapping a rib and causing Crotch Rot to yelp in sudden pain. A third crippling blow snaps the kobold's shield arm like a twig, essentially preventing any resistance to further beating.

To the north, Atom Ant whales away at Grodimus, landing bruising flail strikes and punching with her extra arms. Grodimus attempts to defend himself, but Atom Ant simply knocks aside the cripple's strikes. It seems like it is only a matter of time until the ant woman lands a fatal blow upon the badly faltering elf!

In the midst of all this, Dies Horribly sneaks up on Biggs as the dwarf pulverizes his kobold foe. How will the goblin fare?

Dies Horribly opens up on Biggs with a flanking strike! His steel pick cuts through the air in an instant, and lodges itself in- Biggs' shield!? The dwarf somehow blocks the surprise attack! Dies Horribly follows it up with another swing, but this is blocked as well! Simultaneously, Crotch Rot drags himself to his feet, just in time to jump away from another of Biggs' strikes! That the kobold, wracked with pain, managed to summon the will to avoid such a strike is incredible. Dies Horribly now aims an inconsequential punch at Biggs, which lands, bruising the dwarf's leg.

North of the lava pit, Atom Ant whirls his flail at the prone Grodimus once more, but the elf somehow scrambles through the ant woman's legs to avoid the strike! But Atom Ant is far from done. She lands an bone-breaking blow upon the elf's shoulder, then his leg! Grodimus swings his sword wildly at his tormentor, just hoping to ward her off at this point- Atom Ant neatly dodges the attack with a quick sidestep, then pulps Grodimus's skull with a thump of her flail! The mangled elf twitches for a moment, then lies still.

The melee to the south continues! Crotch Rot, still in a haze of pain and confusion, swings his short sword at Biggs, but misses completely. Biggs responds with a bruising strike to the kobold's leather-padded leg. Dies Horribly intervenes again with another swing of his pick, this time striking gold- his steel armament pierces straight through Biggs' mace hand, causing the dwarf to lose the grip on his weapon! Rather than turn and face his more threatening opponent, Biggs smacks Crotch Rot with his oaken shield. The badly-beaten kobold finally collapses, completely unconscious. Biggs dispatches Crotch Rot rather brutally by jamming the corner of his shield sharply into the kobold's brain.

Biggs now finally turns to face Dies, but the goblin hacks at him with his pick again before the dwarf can muster any sort of offense! The strike severs Bigg's left leg at the knee, and the dwarf falls face-first into a pile of weapons and limbs! He manages to whiff his shield at Dies, causing the goblin, who noted the effect the shield had upon the Crotch Rot, to step back with some alarm. Atom Ant rapidly closes from the north as both goblin and dwarf flail about.

Dies aims a flurry of pick-strikes at Biggs, but the badly wounded dwarf blocks the incoming strikes, then attempts in vain to fight back with his shield. Finally, Dies succeeds in hacking off Biggs' remaining foot, forcing the dwarf to fight pitifully and painfully from what remains of his knees. At this point, Atom Ant arrives and joins in on the beating.

Biggs bravely succeeds in blocking Atom Ant's opening strike, only to have his shield army lopped off by Dies' pick a moment later. Now bleeding massively from 3 stumps and lacking any sort of offensive or defensive weaponry, Biggs lunges at Atom Ant and scratches her with his bloodied hand. The ant woman obliterates his hand for his impudence, and Biggs exsanguinates immediately after.

Now, only Atom Ant and Dies Horribly remain!

Dies Horribly advances, giving Atom Ant the opportunity to strike first! Her heavy flail whips into Dies' foot, but fails to concentrate quite enough force to break the bone, and Dies Horribly stands strong! The goblin swings his pick straight into Atom Ant's thorax (chest) segment, shredding muscle! Dies wards off the next incoming flail attack, then another! Suddenly, Dies Horribly charges, possibly hoping to send his opponent sprawling into the lava pit! Atom Ant parries the strike, but hits the ground hard, only just avoiding a dip in the hot stuff! Dies Horribly sees that his opponent is dazed, and manages to lop off two of her four arms before she has a chance to recover! Finally, Atom Ant shakes off her daze, but fails to see the third strike coming quite in time. This blow lands directly at the the ant woman's midpoint, the thin connecting area where thorax meets abdomen. The strike effectively chops the ant woman in half, and she expires shortly after, even before her severed arms fall back to earth.

All hail Dies Horribly, survivor of the Battle Royale! Though his conduct may not have been honorable, his mettle has not been found wanting. His manager, rickvoid, may now enter the goblin Dies Horribly in the tournament, and re-stat him for the first round of play as he chooses! As a reward for his victory, Dies Horribly gets the Silver Breast Plate of Preliminary Achievement! This item may be "sold" back at any time for 0 points, or kept to provide some solid protection to the body.

Combat Log

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 28, 2011

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Battle Royale, OneTwentySix, Atom Ant in Adamant, 100
Battle Royale, OneTwentySix, Grodimus Thunderbeard, 100

And apparently too late, never mind, then!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Of course Dies Horribly wins. Last time I entrust my hard-earned dorfbux to an elf! And RickVoid takes an early lead with 5000 dorfbux by my rough count. drat.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's 500 points I don't have to worry about. Enjoy your fruitless betting, chumps!:smug:

(:gonk:)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
So close. Well, second place in the Battle Royale is a lot better than I did last tournament, where my fighter was the first one killed.

edit: VVVV Plus 100 bonus dorfbux for winning the match. VVVV

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 28, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So RickVoid just made 4384 off that bet, and has 5384 to start the actual betting with?

:drat:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 28, 2011

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Despite my lack of betting, I am still quite upset that the elf lost. That said, good job to senor Dies Horribly, hopefully he doesn't die horribly in his next match (unless it's against my dude, in which case, gently caress 'im).

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Biggs, why did you keep beating up the kobold instead of dealing with the uninjured guy with the deadly pick!? :(

Bah. Stupid Dies Horribly! I hope he lives up to his name.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 28, 2011

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
You can see from this fight that battle AI still needs a bit of work, it's obviously a lot better than before but it really needs some threat analysis. Shouldn't matter too much for the rest of the tournament though since it's one on one.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
drat. I had a 2/3 chance of that gamble paying off well... not so hot a start this time as last tournament.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
Woah, this is a pretty interesting start to the tournament betting wise

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Haha, the IRC channel will remember me being halfway convinced to vote for that goblin. Picks are pretty excellent weapons. Hooray for Dies Horribly!

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
drat, picked the wrong ant. Was certainly funny to see I lost the bet in the very first attack of the round though! Good luck in the tournament proper Rickvoid, and congratulations on your victory!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
When's the deadline to get our fighters submitted by the way Vox? With the new raws I may want to test a little more.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 28, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress yeah Dies Horribly! Go you sneaky goblin runt!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, not only did my bet lose, he was exsanguinated too! BIGGS! :argh:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
:o

I won.

I won?

Holyfuckingshit I WON!?

I'll be back in a few hours, when I've had more sleep and can be more coherent about this.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
What the hell, Grodimus? They give you a big fuckoff steel sword and you go scratching antwomen like a ponce

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dallbun posted:

Biggs, why did you keep beating up the kobold instead of dealing with the uninjured guy with the deadly pick!? :(
This is one of the most frustrating things about DF combat. It gets pretty drat silly in team mode.

Jeans
Jan 8, 2011
This bodes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonis
Oct 23, 2010
And here I thought an elf with a longsword actually might have been pretty dangerous. Guess I should have known better. 500 dorfbux for nothing.

Congratulations to the win RickVoid

• Locked thread