Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Anyone know much about Magic Lantern for the 7D? Is it worth it? I'll probably be shooting video on it for a couple of weeks, I should be able to rollback firmware right?

E: Crap, not available yet. Not sure if I want to use my 5D either, because I don't have a 24-70; at least with the 7D I have a 17-55.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Creative Live right now is talking about DSLR video from the guy who shot the House episode. It's going well, except the guy sounds like death. Absolute death.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Creative Live right now is talking about DSLR video from the guy who shot the House episode. It's going well, except the guy sounds like death. Absolute death.

Christ, he does too. Is that the sore throat from hell or what? Here's the link for anyone who's interested.

On topic, I went on a bit of an excursion this weekend in the hope of shooting some poo poo, but got turned away from overzealous security guards. Dammit. The one thing that sucks about DSLRs is how they're pretty tricky to steal shots with.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Video I shot and edited while backpacking through Vietnam. A lot of unsteady shots especially on the back of a motorbike but its nice to have good memories in video form. Isn't as good as other videos posted in this thread.

http://youtu.be/AMN3u15vlIc?hd=1

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm back with another musical cooking video thing for Goons with Spoons. This time I mixed in my footage with ODB because the competition called for a raw ingredient. I tried to vary the angles and edit much much faster. Hopefully getting a little better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ASQk83shg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ASQk83shg

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm back with another musical cooking video thing for Goons with Spoons. This time I mixed in my footage with ODB because the competition called for a raw ingredient. I tried to vary the angles and edit much much faster. Hopefully getting a little better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ASQk83shg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ASQk83shg

I did not like the music video intercut with the footage. It's not my style of music to begin with, but it's distracting from the point of the video and the aspect ratio changes. There was one point where you were using a cheese grater on something and your arm covered it up so I couldn't actually see what you were doing. The jump cuts about halfway through were jarring. I realize you probably don't have an island, but using some sort of table and prepping there would be a lot easier to shoot than on a counter next to the wall. Also, (probably unavoidable due to your lighting situation) but the flourescents in your kitchen was causing banding in the video.

Your reaction to the drink also didn't help sell it. I realize that's probably the reaction you were going for, but for a cooking competition, it's not the reaction I would go for.

Edit. These are my critiques. Not attacking you, just giving you my honest opinions.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I thought the song was neat.

I agree the camera angles could be better. The space you're in doesn't give you a lot of freedom but it is frustrating to have your arm cover the action now and then.

I think the editing started off good but got weak near the end. I also think you cut in too much of the music video. It's pretty cliched, but you could cut the music to silence when you go to take the drink, to help emphasize your reaction.

It's great you keep working on new videos, I think you've definitely improved!

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 30, 2011

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I love Dirt McGirt, but there's way too much of the music video in there. It's basically a full music video + some cooking footage. I got bored about one minute in because there were so many cuts back to a music video that had nothing to do with the thrust of your video proper. Keep the song, that's cool, but make a cooking video, not a veggie ODB homage.

gh0st
May 24, 2011

Kunzelman posted:

I love Dirt McGirt, but there's way too much of the music video in there. It's basically a full music video + some cooking footage. I got bored about one minute in because there were so many cuts back to a music video that had nothing to do with the thrust of your video proper. Keep the song, that's cool, but make a cooking video, not a veggie ODB homage.

agreed here. from a camera perspective, the footage that's your isn't bad at all. love that focus pull on the first shot of a beefeater bottle.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

is there any reason at all to set my camera to shoot in PAL these days? I mean all tvs capable of showing 720p should have no problem display 60hz right?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Erfsom posted:

is there any reason at all to set my camera to shoot in PAL these days? I mean all tvs capable of showing 720p should have no problem display 60hz right?

If you are shooting indoors, electric lights flicker at 50Hz in PAL countries. It won't show up in the video if you shoot at 25 or 50 fps (PAL).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
But as far as I know the PAL/NTSC settings on DSLRs are not connected to the framerate, or are they? I thought they were only there for the correct color space when shooting SD.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

FLX posted:

But as far as I know the PAL/NTSC settings on DSLRs are not connected to the framerate, or are they? I thought they were only there for the correct color space when shooting SD.

It does let you choose between framerates - 30fps or 60fps for NTSC, versus 25fps or 50fps for PAL. I often switch to NTSC so I can shoot something at 60fps in order to get slowmo shots.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

I was assisting on a magazine shoot yesterday and was suddenly asked to film some stuff with my 7D, never done it before so I was rather unprepared.

I have no software suitable for editing, I was really hoping to have a go with the free trial of After Effects but I have 32 bit Windows so it won't run.

What are my options in regard to editing software for 32bit, are there any decent free trials I could pick up? I don't know how much more video I'm going to be doing in the near future so I'm reluctant to drop major money.
I want to:
cut camera shake- I shot without a tripod and braced myself against a park bench, there is still shaking though.

Contrast adjustment and stuff like that

Deal with sound issues- I was shooting on a fairly windy day with the on-board mic, the roar of wind and whatever that issue with the building in microphone is is an noticeable.

I really wish I'd known ahead of time so I could have at least taken a tripod, but it was fun and I'm definitely considering getting more involved with video to integrate with stills shoots.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

m4mbo posted:

:words:

As far as editing is concerned, if you're working with anything other than CS5 you'll find it clunky to work with in its native h264 codec format.

I'm not sure what Virtualdub is like these days, but that used to be a good free editing program. Used to not have support for Quicktimes though.

After Effects is what I'd use for removing camera shake, as well as color correction, but you mentioned that you can't run that. Is there anywhere you might be able to find an old trial version of CS3 or CS4, perhaps? They both had 32-bit support.

If your sound is lovely (and it definitely will be if you just used the onboard mic) you might be in a spot of trouble. Ask the client if you can use a voiceover instead, maybe? Otherwise, there are some limited things you'd be able to do with software like Adobe Audition, e.g. noise reduction and filtering out wind noise with an FFT filter, but your options sound pretty limited.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

schmuckfeatures posted:

I'm not sure what Virtualdub is like these days, but that used to be a good free editing program. Used to not have support for Quicktimes though.

I don't do much with video, but when I want to, my solution is to use RAD Video Tools to convert my 5D2 MOVs to high-bitrate x264, then use VirtualDub for processing (Deshaker is amazing considering it's free) and final encoding. You'd have to process the audio separately (in Audacity?) and remux with VirtualDub.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

schmuckfeatures posted:

After Effects is what I'd use for removing camera shake, as well as color correction, but you mentioned that you can't run that. Is there anywhere you might be able to find an old trial version of CS3 or CS4, perhaps? They both had 32-bit support.

All the shake reduction I've tried doing in AE has ended up looking terrible due to rolling shutter issues making the now-still video compress itself vertically all funny. It actually looks BETTER to me shaky most of the time - is there any trick anyone has found to this?

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Man_of_Teflon posted:

All the shake reduction I've tried doing in AE has ended up looking terrible due to rolling shutter issues making the now-still video compress itself vertically all funny. It actually looks BETTER to me shaky most of the time - is there any trick anyone has found to this?

Shoot using a tripod :v:

Seriously though, a friend told me about a fairly convoluted-sounding After Effects trick involving using a vertical gradient as a time remap layer. It took loving ages for the results to render and they didn't look all that impressive, so I gave up on it. Since that time I've tended towards shooting everything on sticks whenever possible.

I've also spent quite a while looking for a not-too-pricey DSLR rig so I can shoot handheld shots that aren't too shaky. Finally found what I was looking for in a Glanz DSLR shoulder rig, which I'm picking up later this week. At AUD$279 it's actually about a quarter of the cost of every other rig I've looked at, and its results seem to be better than some of the pricier rigs, too.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Thanks for the advice guys, really helpful!

schmuckfeatures posted:

stuff

I was thinking about an older trial too but apparently Adobe don't keep them hosted. I think I'm going to give MrBlandAverage's plan a go.

I don't think dubbing is really going to work, I guess I'll have to see what I can do with Audacity or something.
I was looking at mics as soon as I got home because now I know there is a possibility of this sort of thing being sprung on me I want to be prepared.
Incidentally the onboard mic is placed terribly for portrait video shooting.

I filmed in character interviews with the models, but if they turn out unusable I have a backup video that they might like of the shoot in progress with smoke swirling and stuff. It was an after-though for them, just a case of 'of look your assistant has a video camera' so I'll not be hanged if it doesn't work out but it would be a nice platform.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Stuff

Chars, going to give this a go.

I'll let you guys know if it goes up anywhere.

Roll on college re-opening when I get access to 27" iMacs with CS5

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

schmuckfeatures posted:

I've also spent quite a while looking for a not-too-pricey DSLR rig so I can shoot handheld shots that aren't too shaky. Finally found what I was looking for in a Glanz DSLR shoulder rig, which I'm picking up later this week. At AUD$279 it's actually about a quarter of the cost of every other rig I've looked at, and its results seem to be better than some of the pricier rigs, too.

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B0036NMQ7S

It works surprisingly well, obviously nothing for rails and accessories but it's handy for... dang I guess they raised it to almost $40 (I think mine was $25).

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

I don't do much with video, but when I want to, my solution is to use RAD Video Tools to convert my 5D2 MOVs to high-bitrate x264

Sorry to be dense, but how do I do this, I can't seem to see the option, do I need to download and install the encoder myself first?

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Lock and Load X by Coremelt does a good job stabilizing the footage and also has rolling shutter removal built in. You can download a free 14-day trial and the program itself is only 150. It is much better than Final Cut's stabilizer and while I haven't extensively compared the two side by side, it seems to do better than AE's. Faster renders too. It is not a fix all and will most likely still look better left handheld. I refuse to shoot without a tripod or shoulder kit. I have encountered more problems trying to fix it later than doing it right the first time.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

m4mbo posted:

Sorry to be dense, but how do I do this, I can't seem to see the option, do I need to download and install the encoder myself first?
Yeah, you'll need to get the x264 codec before it'll be an option to use in RAD or VirtualDub: http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

Then follow these instructions: http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/mov2avi - make sure to hit "configure" on that last window to set the bitrate etc.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, you'll need to get the x264 codec before it'll be an option to use in RAD or VirtualDub: http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

Then follow these instructions: http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/mov2avi - make sure to hit "configure" on that last window to set the bitrate etc.

Much obliged. Getting to grips with the terminology in DeShaker now, I feel I may have to invest in a book!

E: The denseness returns, I've downloaded and unzipped x264 but I can't see an installer and googleing how to install it does not seem to give me the answer, do I need to drop it in somewhere or am I missing the blindingly obvious?

m4mbo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 9, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

m4mbo posted:

Much obliged. Getting to grips with the terminology in DeShaker now, I feel I may have to invest in a book!

E: The denseness returns, I've downloaded and unzipped x264 but I can't see an installer and googleing how to install it does not seem to give me the answer, do I need to drop it in somewhere or am I missing the blindingly obvious?
Oops, I was at work and didn't realize I'd linked you to the source. Here's a more useful link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Oops, I was at work and didn't realize I'd linked you to the source. Here's a more useful link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

Yay, ta!

Updates if I produce anything of interest after I'm done assisting tomorrow

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

Oh lord its doing it on the carpet.
I figure many DSLR users like DIY equipment so here's a fun tip for the whole family: if you are on the hunt for a cheap, janky slider and are too lazy to build something of quality, rowing machines can make passable sliders. I'm talking cheaper/older style, like this:
http://www.tipstrs.com/uploadedImages/nxzzzcygpp.jpg

Many people like myself have rowing machines sitting in an attic (if not, try any garage sale anywhere ever) and all you have to do really is take off the extraneous handles (or not, if you really can't be bothered). How you mount is really up to you. Just setting the camera on the seat obviously kind of sucks, but works in a pinch. The better option IMO is to remove the seat - most seats are removable and you could figure out some attachment from there - maybe affix a mini tripod or tripod head to the carriage base? Doesn't have to be too complicated. I've considered making a different carriage, perhaps using skateboard or rollerblade wheels for a smoother/quieter slide. But on the other hand if I'm going to spend time to make something I feel like I might as well make a new base as well, because a 2 rail design would likely be a bit better for stability (ex. this). Also I should have something to shoot before I worry too much about it. Lord knows vimeo doesn't need another DSLR test video.

But overall sliders are clutch and are very helpful for creating a certain visual dimension in images that need it. It's also a hell of a lot easier than setting up dolly track if you don't need to dolly very far. If you want to give it a try/test out shot ideas, a rowing machine can do the trick.

blintoh fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 10, 2011

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

schmuckfeatures posted:

You should let us know how you like it. I snagged one of those Cowboy Studios rigs that Man_of_Teflon linked for about $25 a while ago, and although it works pretty well after some modification (i.e. adding some handles), it's still not quite as nice as an actual shoulder rig.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

You should let us know how you like it. I snagged one of those Cowboy Studios rigs that Man_of_Teflon linked for about $25 a while ago, and although it works pretty well after some modification (i.e. adding some handles), it's still not quite as nice as an actual shoulder rig.

I've been meaning to ask about adding handles to the Cowboy Studio rig. Any tips on what to look for or where to look? I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 that I would love to use for video without resorting to always using a tripod, but I feel like my ribs are going to crack every time I use that lens with the rig.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

DRP Solved! posted:

I've been meaning to ask about adding handles to the Cowboy Studio rig. Any tips on what to look for or where to look? I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 that I would love to use for video without resorting to always using a tripod, but I feel like my ribs are going to crack every time I use that lens with the rig.

Have you ever built the $14 Camera Stabilizer? All I did was use the top piece that normally would go into the camera to attach a few pieces of pipe to the rig as a handle. I just used it to film a concert with my Tamron 70-200/2.8, it was so much easier to control with the handle on it.

Like this, only with a camera attached to the lens:

Kinda looks like poo poo, but I'm sure you could make it look nice if you wanted to spend a little more than two bucks in nuts, bolts, washers, and pipes.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 11, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

Have you ever built the $14 Camera Stabilizer? All I did was use the top piece that normally would go into the camera to attach a few pieces of pipe to the rig as a handle. I just used it to film a concert with my Tamron 70-200/2.8, it was so much easier to control with the handle on it.

Kinda looks like poo poo, but I'm sure you could make it look nice if you wanted to spend a little more than two bucks in nuts, bolts, washers, and pipes.

Holy poo poo, yes! I have that thing sitting in my closet! That'll work great, thank you!

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

CaptainViolence posted:

God looking at that makes me nervous. I snapped my Cowboy rig within 24 hours of getting it, right at the piece that's holding the stabilizer and the rig's head.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've been shooting videos with my DSLR and a Sigma 8-16 while hiking peaks in Colorado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLJnHE9pf4

The problems with shooting like this are at least two-fold. One, getting stability and smooth video is tough without some kind of stabilizer, and two, carrying heavy things up 14,000 ft mountains really, really sucks. Anyone out there have solutions for strenuous outdoor activities and video?

I've had a bit more success shooting video from a flatwater kayak, but there, the problems (worrying about dropping 1200 dollars worth of equipment in the water) is different, and the stabilization isn't quite so problematic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Besides hiring a porter to carry it for you?

You just gotta suck it up and hope the results are worth the agony.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

a foolish pianist posted:

I've been shooting videos with my DSLR and a Sigma 8-16 while hiking peaks in Colorado:

The problems with shooting like this are at least two-fold. One, getting stability and smooth video is tough without some kind of stabilizer, and two, carrying heavy things up 14,000 ft mountains really, really sucks. Anyone out there have solutions for strenuous outdoor activities and video?

I've had a bit more success shooting video from a flatwater kayak, but there, the problems (worrying about dropping 1200 dollars worth of equipment in the water) is different, and the stabilization isn't quite so problematic.

I imagine a monopod would only add a few ounces to your gear and give you some much improved stability.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

The Affair posted:

God looking at that makes me nervous. I snapped my Cowboy rig within 24 hours of getting it, right at the piece that's holding the stabilizer and the rig's head.

Mine's been holding up pretty well, but yeah I wouldn't hold it like that for more than the 30 seconds it took to set up the photo (not pictured: a fluffy cushioned lawn chair right below, just in case). That's part of why I put the handle on there; not just better control, but then there's two support points for that flat piece.

It's still a flimsy piece of poo poo, though, so I'm definitely interested in hearing how good that Glanz one is.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I imagine a monopod would only add a few ounces to your gear and give you some much improved stability.

Agreed with this. If you don't already have a hiking pole, get this one: http://www.rei.com/product/809073/mountainsmith-trekker-fx-monopod-trekking-pole

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just seeing this, and goddamn. The sense of scale is breathtaking.

I'm regretting buying the Tamron 10-24 over this a few months ago now :(

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

CaptainViolence posted:

Mine's been holding up pretty well, but yeah I wouldn't hold it like that for more than the 30 seconds it took to set up the photo (not pictured: a fluffy cushioned lawn chair right below, just in case). That's part of why I put the handle on there; not just better control, but then there's two support points for that flat piece.

It's still a flimsy piece of poo poo, though, so I'm definitely interested in hearing how good that Glanz one is.

Just picked it up today -- here's a few pics of it (and yes, I know I need to replace this filthy carpet).

It folds out from this size:

Here's its basic handheld configuration. You can tuck the third handle underneath it if you want.

With shoulder rest unfolded it looks like this:

Closeup of the bracket where you attach the camera:

It seems to be really adaptable -- everything swivels out to whatever angle you like, and adjusts easily. It's nice and lightweight, while still giving smooth shots so far.

It's apparently just been released, which is why Googling for it only seems to bring up this thread and this product listing from the store where I bought it. On that note, there are a few odd things about it. For one thing it ships with only the rig itself and an allen key, and a very short manual. For another, nothing seems to have a brand name written on it at all. These are things that probably would have made me raise my eyebrows if I hadn't tested it out at a photography conference before I bought it. I'll be trying it out tomorrow in terms of shooting some proper footage -- will see how that goes.

Some of its materials do feel a little bit on the cheap side, which I guess explains why it costs a quarter as much as you'd spend on a Redrock Micro, but unless it breaks on me within a year or two I'm happy to take that as a tradeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

So I realized from your link that since you're buying in Australia and that store doesn't ship overseas, I have no idea how I'd even get one. HOWEVER, I did do a little digging and found this one which looks to me like the same thing (even down to the fact that there's no branding). I guess I'm just asking if you think it's what you have.

Then again, for that price I probably wouldn't have a huge problem giving it a little gamble given that you seem happy with it.

• Locked thread