Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

modig posted:

Apple seems to wait a few days to charge your cc for App store and iTunes stuff, I always get receipts with 2-3 purchases. I'm not sure if Amazon does the same thing, but they I'd guess they do mostly because it should be cheaper for them.
That's what I thought at first, but the last time they had some on sale, I ended up with separate charges for each book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

My big problem with the Kindle section of Amazon is how there's just SO MUCH garbage on there you have to wade through if you're just browsing. Its great if you know exactly what you're looking for but if not watch out. Its especially bad for sci-fi.

Yeah, that's a little frustrating for me. If I don't know exactly what I want, there is just too much to wade through because the format seems to encourage a ton of poo poo.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Does sorting my best sellers help?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sperg Victorious posted:

That's my fallback but there's still a lot of crap to wade through because books that are less expensive are picked up more readily regardless of quality.

The "big deal" sale is a different sort of deal since much of it is not-great stuff anyway, of course. This is the one time when Amazon's "suggestions" are actually helpful to me since I've now gone through enough stuff so it sorta kinda almost knows when a book might interest me.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

I've tried that and, believe it or not, the same ludicrously awful books are also the bestsellers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vertigus posted:

I've tried that and, believe it or not, the same ludicrously awful books are also the bestsellers.

Again, just like a real bookstore!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
No way to bulk buy kindle books :(

I have asked em, and they said nope.

On the "wading through a river of poo poo looking for a kernel of corn" type of trying to find a decent book in the kindle store.... Best bet is to find an author you like, and look under the recommended area and the "other people bought this" area.

I have found a few authors that way that I like, and it helps avoid the feeling of "God drat... what happened to standards?" kinda depression that kicks in on the 9882635th twilight ripoff listed under sci fi for some reason.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Jigsaw posted:

Is there any way to bulk purchase Kindle books? Several of the ones on sale look good, but I'd prefer to avoid a ton of $0.99 etc. charges if I can just buy them all at once.

Calculate the cost of the books you want to buy and buy a gift card for yourself for that value.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

For Kindle books, is there a way to download books from a non-Amazon Canadian website (I am in the US)? I read that copyright laws are different in Canada so some books are public domain (through project guttenberg) in Canada but not the US.

Also, if this is considered :filez: let me know and I will remove the question.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 25, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For Kindle books, is there a way to download books from a non-Amazon Canadian website (I am in the US)? I read that copyright laws are different in Canada so some books are public domain (through project guttenberg) in Canada but not the US.

Also, if this is considered :filez: let me know and I will remove the question.

Project Gutenberg Australia is the one that has stuff that's not public domain in the US, IIRC.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Now that I have had my Kobo Touch for awhile, I am very pleased with it (besides the flash memory speed).

The Kobo developers seem to listen to suggestions often and regularly release updated firmware. Loading your own fonts, using the dictionary on side-loaded books, and a lot of font/page margin options have been some of the notable features that have been added recently.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

No way to bulk buy kindle books :(

I have asked em, and they said nope.

On the "wading through a river of poo poo looking for a kernel of corn" type of trying to find a decent book in the kindle store.... Best bet is to find an author you like, and look under the recommended area and the "other people bought this" area.

I have found a few authors that way that I like, and it helps avoid the feeling of "God drat... what happened to standards?" kinda depression that kicks in on the 9882635th twilight ripoff listed under sci fi for some reason.

I agree. Browsing the overall category listings or bestsellers just makes me hate myself and humanity, but using Amazon's "people who bought this also liked" feature is actually really useful for me. It's turned me on to a couple of different authors I never would have looked at twice before. I actually prefer it to browsing a physical bookstore now, because I feel like it's more likely to throw out something unusual that I wouldn't otherwise pay attention to.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Just curious, but have you guys actually gone to a bookstore to buy a book with no idea what you were going to buy beforehand? Its not like you can just pick a random book off the shelf and it be a guaranteed good book.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

Just curious, but have you guys actually gone to a bookstore to buy a book with no idea what you were going to buy beforehand? Its not like you can just pick a random book off the shelf and it be a guaranteed good book.

No, but as was noted, it's a whole lot easier to get your lovely e-book published on Amazon.

I learned that sad lesson when I got a poo poo ton of their free e-books that come up. Now I didn't pay for them, so I can't really bitch, but holy gently caress a large amount of it is just straight unreadable. And I am about the farthest from a lit snob as you can get, I will read anything(well, nearly).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spixxor posted:

No, but as was noted, it's a whole lot easier to get your lovely e-book published on Amazon.

I learned that sad lesson when I got a poo poo ton of their free e-books that come up. Now I didn't pay for them, so I can't really bitch, but holy gently caress a large amount of it is just straight unreadable. And I am about the farthest from a lit snob as you can get, I will read anything(well, nearly).

In the book store you get a near clone of that same book from Amazon, with a prettied up cover, a better title, some copyediting, and $6 extra to pay. Basically.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

fishmech posted:

In the book store you get a near clone of that same book from Amazon, with a prettied up cover, a better title, some copyediting, and $6 extra to pay. Basically.

Which is why, unless I'm looking for a specific book, I stick to the marked down/clearance section for the most part.

At least that way I didn't pay too much for a lovely book.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed the trend of putting out an oversized paperback and charging twice the amount a regular, standard paperback used to cost? Irritates me to no end.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

spixxor posted:

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed the trend of putting out an oversized paperback and charging twice the amount a regular, standard paperback used to cost? Irritates me to no end.

Are you talking about trade paperback vs mass market paperback? Because for 10+ years the only thing that's come out in mass market paperback is lovely scifi and romance novels, it's hardly a "trend."

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Ara posted:

Are you talking about trade paperback vs mass market paperback? Because for 10+ years the only thing that's come out in mass market paperback is lovely scifi and romance novels, it's hardly a "trend."

Maybe so. It just seems like it's only really started picking up in the last couple of years; but these days I blink and 5 years have zipped by, maybe I just didn't notice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Sperg Victorious posted:

Yeah I have, but I usually end up buying something from an author I like that I don't already have, or run across something that I've heard recommended before. I don't usually just pick up random books that look cool

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

spixxor posted:

Exactly. Bookstores are brick and mortar so their selection is more limited, you're not confronted by a ton of options- many of which are absolutely awful. I go into bookstores just to browse all the time and very rarely have I walked away thinking "ugh, there was just too much crap to wade through."

I mean, I'm aware that the "sifting through crap" thing is nitpicky because obviously I love having a kindle and have a ton of books on the thing. I literally do not have the space to continue buying actual books unless I purge a ton of what I already own, so my new thing is going into bookstores, writing down what I like, then going to see if I can get it for my kindle. There are times when amazon's suggestions really do work for me, though, and I've found a couple books that way.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

bigmandan posted:

Now that I have had my Kobo Touch for awhile, I am very pleased with it (besides the flash memory speed).

The Kobo developers seem to listen to suggestions often and regularly release updated firmware. Loading your own fonts, using the dictionary on side-loaded books, and a lot of font/page margin options have been some of the notable features that have been added recently.

Also, a cool sketch pad/simple drawing application. :cool:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Also, updated the browser software to make it a little faster, handle font sizes better, and automatically log you out of google.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
What's the best way to read a pdf on a Nook Color?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Soylentbits posted:

What's the best way to read a pdf on a Nook Color?

I like ezpdf.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Is there someway to make other people's highlights of "important passages" never appear, not even as a dotted underline? I have all the options set to "off" and it is not helping. It is in fact making me furious. I give so little of a gently caress what anyone else thought was especially witty or funny about a book I am trying to read.

This is on the kindle, to be specific.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is there someway to make other people's highlights of "important passages" never appear, not even as a dotted underline? I have all the options set to "off" and it is not helping. It is in fact making me furious. I give so little of a gently caress what anyone else thought was especially witty or funny about a book I am trying to read.

This is on the kindle, to be specific.

You either dont have both options off

1. Popular Highlights
2. Public Notes

Or your kindle is hosed. To the right of both options it should say "turn on" if they are really OFF already. If it says to the right "turn off" then they are ON.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Hondo82 posted:

1. Popular Highlights
2. Public Notes

Or your kindle is hosed. To the right of both options it should say "turn on" if they are really OFF already. If it says to the right "turn off" then they are ON.

God drat it. This is just like forwards and backward secrecy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Hondo82 posted:

1. Popular Highlights
2. Public Notes

Thanks - this was pissing me off as well.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ozmaugh posted:

Yeah, that's a little frustrating for me. If I don't know exactly what I want, there is just too much to wade through because the format seems to encourage a ton of poo poo.

I have a similar problem when browsing Amazon compared to a "real" bookstore. The fact that some people think the experiences are the same suggests to me it's somewhat subjective and probably down to individual browsing habits. Maybe some of us have to re-educate ourselves or at least learn to "deal with it".

If we're talking about browsing I'll take a real bookshop over Amazon any day though. Of course I'll then actually buy the books from Amazon and as a result be contributing to their demise. I am my own worst enemy apparently.

There's probably an extent to which there's way more crappy crap on Amazon because there is way more everything, but the bar to entry is set so low. There are also some genres whose fans were early big early adopters of ebooks and towards the lower end of the market they are disproportionatly represented which, given we're talking about stuff like supernatural romance for example, makes the crap look even crappier! This may have already normalised somewhat and may continue to do so over time.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

I have a similar problem when browsing Amazon compared to a "real" bookstore. The fact that some people think the experiences are the same suggests to me it's somewhat subjective and probably down to individual browsing habits. Maybe some of us have to re-educate ourselves or at least learn to "deal with it".

I think the problem is that when most people go to a bookstore, they already have a a few things in mind that they want. So they're not actually having to wade through all the stacks. After they've collected the books they've decided they're interested in, then people will are likely to aimlessly browse the store. When people browse on Amazon, it seems like a lot of people just want to be able to select the genre and only have a giant list of books that they're interested in displayed. They're just browsing instead of already having a short list in mind.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
On the kindle, when you hit the five-way to the right twice in rapid succession, it takes you to the next chapter of the currently-open book. This is infuriating at times. Is there some way to turn that "feature" off, or a quick way to return to the page you were on when you accidentally did it?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ColdCock posted:

On the kindle, when you hit the five-way to the right twice in rapid succession, it takes you to the next chapter of the currently-open book. This is infuriating at times. Is there some way to turn that "feature" off, or a quick way to return to the page you were on when you accidentally did it?

On my kindle 2, the "back" button does a pretty good job of always returning to whatever the last screen was.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

ColdCock posted:

Uh, when you press it ONCE it takes you to the next chapter. That's its entire purpose. But yeah, just hit back if you press it accidentally... though I can't imagine how you would press it accidentally.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I just got a Kindle last week, and I've tried looking around the options and the manual, but I don't see an option to have the screensaver display the cover of the book I'm reading. Is that possible without jailbreaking it? The ebook covers for the Wheel of Time series are so much better than the hardcovers, and I'd like to see them larger than the tiny preview it shows.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Kruller posted:

I just got a Kindle last week, and I've tried looking around the options and the manual, but I don't see an option to have the screensaver display the cover of the book I'm reading. Is that possible without jailbreaking it? The ebook covers for the Wheel of Time series are so much better than the hardcovers, and I'd like to see them larger than the tiny preview it shows.

No option without jailbreaking; however, you can view the fullscreen covers by going into the actual book, and going to menu > go to > cover.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did they release a new firmware that can't be jailbroken? I got a wifi kindle 3 a few months ago and unfortunately, it broke when I was traveling. My replacement got here a week or two ago and none of the jailbreaks work. I was looking forward to it too, I downloaded a bunch of new screensavers.

Edit: Looks like that's exactly the case. My Kindle is using the new 3.2.1 firmware which doesn't work with old jailbreaks. This one guy has one that sort of works but not all the time and you need to do some quick copying and updating while the kindle restarts or something.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 2, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Being able to use your book covers as the screensaver seems like such an obvious option. Why are Amazon against it?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Tagichatn posted:

Edit: Looks like that's exactly the case. My Kindle is using the new 3.2.1 firmware which doesn't work with old jailbreaks. This one guy has one that sort of works but not all the time and you need to do some quick copying and updating while the kindle restarts or something.

Yeah my screen broke and they sent me a new one with this firmware and it was harder to update. This quick copy while rebooting method did eventually work though.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

I actually do this all the time, ever since I was a kid. I go into a bookstore, look around, and pick out whatever seems interesting. Thanks to this I stumbled upon Haruki Murakami, Ryu Murakami, Warlock (by Oakley Hall), Annie Proulx, Angela Carter, Bret Easton Ellis, Steven Millhauser, John Crowley and more without any preconceived notions about the author or the book.

This is a part of the reason why I don't really use my nook as much as I should - browsing for books on the internet doesn't really feel nearly as 'organic' and the sense of discovery is a little lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I think the awesome recommendation systems that the internet brings to the table more than make up for the fact that you can't just pick up a book and browse through it.

Especially if you're looking to learn about something. A lot of non-fiction books are just not that accessible to the layperson. If you want to read about physics there's going to be a ton of physics books in the bookstore, but no sign saying "this is the bestselling one that all the dumb people buy". Online you just sort by bestseller and the "physics for the layperson" book will probably be on the first page and probably be an easy read that teaches you something.

Buying fiction is a different beast and you have to learn how to read reviews to know if you're going to like a book. Going by "other books people enjoyed" lists can help too.

Again, you're not going to get this in a physical bookstore. Sure you can LOOK at the book, but there's nothing there that tells you "Oh this author is liked by people who like Bret Easton Ellis".

So you trade the ability to form an instant opinion on the book for the ability to get lots of other peoples opinions instantly. Seems better to me. I read more now that I can find what I want to read easier. It's just learning to play the system.

• Locked thread