Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Oh man, my yeti's first match is against a kobold. That's gonna be so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

A good poster posted:

Oh man, my yeti's first match is against a kobold. That's gonna be so much fun.

But you never know just what the RNG has in store. Vox's fighter in the very first tournament was a minotaur that was killed in the first round by a gnome with a dagger.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Crap, I'm fighting a Gremlin the first round, I hope my build can hit him. Antwoman V.S Gremlin, who will win?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I have frittered away all my remaining money! Let's see how good my instincts are. :toot:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hmm...Up against a strangler. Not sure what to expect with a four-armed race. At least it's not a Soldier Ant Woman, so I can inflict more pain when I hit a bone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My yeti is up against a lil strangler. Aww.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Locomotive breath posted:

I'm fighting a dwarf. I'm sure that my death is assured. As such, I've bet all my money on myself. Clearly this is a wise course of action.

Yesss yesss, The Bulbous Loaf will have fun with you.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Adus posted:

Yesss yesss, The Bulbous Loaf will have fun with you.

YOU! My foe! I await our match with baited breath. Based upon his name I assume that your dude is both fat and well, fatter. Seriously though, I'm hoping that your dude is like a wrestler, or that you forgot to spend your points or something. That would be greaaate.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Oh I spent those points so hard. Don't you worry.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm up against Bene Elim's character. If the entire planet was one gigantic orgy, that would be about how hosed I am.

Don't sell yourself short. I'd say first round Werewolf vs Dwarf is pretty heavily favored in your direction.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Oh no, my fighter, Socrates, will doubtless be no match against his first round foe, Helga Hammershock VI. As such, you should all bet on her. All of you, all your money. How can I ever hope to contend with a fighter with such a high number in her name? Seriously, I heard that she killed and ate all five previous Helga Hammershocks. Helga? More like 'Mean as Hell-ga'. She injects molten lead into her hands to add mass to her strikes. She wears a necklace of teeth, each one of which she pulled out of her own mouth, one at a time. She replaced her own teeth with the teeth of a shark, which she fought by letting herself get swallowed and then repeatedly punching it directly in the heart.

I mean, that's what I heard.

I seem to have mistakenly put all my points into the Teaching skill, don't even know how that happened. Socrates' serpentine syllogisms will doubtless prove ineffectual against the presumed warhammer possessed by my titanic tigerwoman of an opponent.

Woe. Woe is me.

Kwathi
Nov 7, 2010

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to the Cult of the Crushing Wave."
Excellent, Ethelgreen the Unready faces a yeti in the first round, a beast he has been specifically trained and equipped the defeat! (This is a lie, please no one tell him what a yeti is. We've told him it's a delicious species of pheasant that likes to nest in shag rugs.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why is my entrant fighting Goatie's entrant?

This is clear anti-goat-based-name bias.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
A snapshot of the current betting totals on each fighter as of July 30 2011, 1:00 AM PDT:

and now that I've perfected the SQL for this particular chart, perhaps I should add a page to the site that calculates it up to the minute

goatface posted:

Why is my entrant fighting Goatie's entrant?

This is clear anti-goat-based-name bias.

You can blame the RNG invoked by PHP on the ArenaChallenge site for that; it was entirely randomly generated.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

Oh no, my fighter, Socrates, will doubtless be no match against his first round foe, Helga Hammershock VI. As such, you should all bet on her. All of you, all your money. How can I ever hope to contend with a fighter with such a high number in her name? Seriously, I heard that she killed and ate all five previous Helga Hammershocks. Helga? More like 'Mean as Hell-ga'. She injects molten lead into her hands to add mass to her strikes. She wears a necklace of teeth, each one of which she pulled out of her own mouth, one at a time. She replaced her own teeth with the teeth of a shark, which she fought by letting herself get swallowed and then repeatedly punching it directly in the heart.

I mean, that's what I heard.

I seem to have mistakenly put all my points into the Teaching skill, don't even know how that happened. Socrates' serpentine syllogisms will doubtless prove ineffectual against the presumed warhammer possessed by my titanic tigerwoman of an opponent.

Woe. Woe is me.

I bet 40 on Helga just to reward your effort here.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

A snapshot of the current betting totals on each fighter as of July 30 2011, 1:00 AM PDT:

and now that I've perfected the SQL for this particular chart, perhaps I should add a page to the site that calculates it up to the minute

-snip-
Cool. Yeah, a page devoted to just quickly seeing where the total bets are and whose in favor (maybe bold that gladiator's name?) would be awesome.

Ha! Some idiots are betting on me...then again I know 90 of that dwarfbux are mine.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pssh, Kobolds. Everybody knows dwarves with longswords and hats are the best.

Right guys?

right?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Hungry Mungry has painted his personal training-ring in a glorious, sanguine hue upon being delivered a few pigs for dinner. The horrifying, terminal squeals keep him happy and motivated for the fight to come.

Admittedly he was hoping for something more tasty and substantial than a kobold.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

Cool. Yeah, a page devoted to just quickly seeing where the total bets are and whose in favor (maybe bold that gladiator's name?) would be awesome.

Ha! Some idiots are betting on me...then again I know 90 of that dwarfbux are mine.

Ya, I have to agree on this. Otherwise we reward the three people who have the patience to check the totals on each and every fight and bet 1 buck on all the empty spots across from big bets.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

A Troll, Elizabeth Bennet is no speciesist, in fact some of her best friends are Trolls! And this Troll is a Lord which must count for something, as long as he's civil all will be well.

Goatie
Jul 8, 2010
Finally got matched up with someone.... let's see who my opponent is....

Website posted:

Mr Buckles is a female Kobold fighter managed by goatface.

quote:

goatface

:black101:THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (goat):black101:

E: Also, would it be possible to make fighter's species more easily viewable? It would be more convenient than clicking on the individual fighter's names.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Krysmphoenix posted:

Vox Nihili posted:

Ya, I have to agree on this. Otherwise we reward the three people who have the patience to check the totals on each and every fight and bet 1 buck on all the empty spots across from big bets.

Sure, I'll have it ready sometime Saturday. I think that place_bet.php would be the obvious place to put it... I'm thinking something like the current http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/place_bet.php?4 but instead of each fight being its own link, the chart would show the totals for each fighter and the link ("Bet On This Match") over to the side of each.

Goatie posted:

Also, would it be possible to make fighter's species more easily viewable? It would be more convenient than clicking on the individual fighter's names.

Sure, I'll set it so you can float the mouse cursor over each fighter to see the name and owner (I've already done that elsewhere on the site and can just reuse the code). Should also be ready sometime Saturday.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
With the new betting information I've pretty much used all of my $Dorfbux$ up, so lets see how that goes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brick Moses posted:

Hungry Mungry has painted his personal training-ring in a glorious, sanguine hue upon being delivered a few pigs for dinner. The horrifying, terminal squeals keep him happy and motivated for the fight to come.

Admittedly he was hoping for something more tasty and substantial than a kobold.

Cobalt spent what is probably one of her last nights on Earth writing her husband and seven children back home in Krastmaquabraggan. Apparently she hates them all and is leaving her entire estate to her pet cavy.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dirty Frank posted:

A Troll, Elizabeth Bennet is no speciesist, in fact some of her best friends are Trolls! And this Troll is a Lord which must count for something, as long as he's civil all will be well.

In reply, Lord Zybourne adjusted his monocle and top hat, and spewed forth a strange line which, according to leading cryptologists, suggested that a copy of her shall be sent to the back of the line.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Vox Nihili posted:

Well, jeez.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Hey, everyone who has too much money, I just put all of my cash on Robo-Prancer Mk.II's battle against a Yeti opponent.

Feel free to bet against me, so I either win big, or get completely eliminated in one round.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
How do bets and returns thereof work? I didn't see anything about it in the OP. I'm glad to see the 1DB guy took pity on my fighter. :unsmith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your winnings = Total pool * (your bet amount / total winning bet)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Your winnings = Total pool * (your bet amount / total winning bet)

This is correct. Also,

Bonus +100 Dorfbux if your fighter participates in a fight and WINS
Bonus +10 Dorfbux if your fighter participates in a fight and doesn't win

Also, when you place a bet, you now see the total of all bets placed on each fighter for the current round!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 30, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

This is correct. Also,

Bonus +100 Dorfbux if your fighter participates in a fight and WINS
Bonus +10 Dorfbux if your fighter participates in a fight and doesn't win

Also, when you place a bet, you now see the total of all bets placed on each fighter for the current round!

It'd be really neat if the fighters could be listed with their race.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In true gladiatorial fashion I have bet my entire wad.

I shall now nervously clutch my bet tickets in my hand and drink way too much longland grass beer.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
A human! Ha! The woodsie lord will easily defeat the manfool known as Hiker Nos. If only some jerk hadn't robbed my mansion dry I'd have more bucks to bet on my fight.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

It'd be really neat if the fighters could be listed with their race.

I'll try to implement that tomorrow. Too sleepy to work on the site anymore tonight.

In the meantime, you can see a fighter's race from the betting screen by clicking the link to view the fighter.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

quote:

A human! Ha! The woodsie lord will easily defeat the manfool known as Hiker Nos. If only some jerk hadn't robbed my mansion dry I'd have more bucks to bet on my fight.

You dare taunt me? Okay. I'll tip my hand for purpose of a fitting retort.

(anagrams :haw:)

[:ssh:] I bet on your fighter because I lack confidence in my build and couldn't be bothered to test. [/:ssh:]

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Alright buggy swires let's go, your pigeons can't save you now. Come at me. I'll end you. You're going home on that tiny fuckin shield badge.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Mart Scar is hoping to be able to honor his ancestors by falling to the first foe he encounters, as is a proud Goblin tradition. He'd be so ashamed if in the afterlife he'd actually have tell his ancestors that he won a fight.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Maugrem has been advised to cut off her serpent man foe's fangs first.

Unfortunately she forgot her ladder and will probably have to content herself with stabbing him in the tail.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
So, before I head off to bed for the night, I leave you all with this...

code:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Bet;

COUNT(*)
========
Just five hours after opening up the betting window, there have already been 332 bets placed! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm touched that someone placed money on Ben Mattock likely knowing nothing but his name. (Or that he's a minotaur, which is more likely.) I'm deeply sorry you'll never see your money again.

Now to finally run some tests and see who to bet on.

• Locked thread