Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I have placed all my hard earned money on the names I like best.

Let's get this started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Soooo. This kinda sucks. I'm without computer based internet for the next several days, so I can't view the current match-ups. Can't really bet either, except for some blind bets, like so:

50 DB on all Goblin Gladiators except for Dies Horribly.

1000 DB on Dies Horribly.

Goblin solidarity, I can't imagine not having the money for this. Also, in the list of participants and their cash totals, it looked like I was listed twice (RickVoid, rickvoid). Can I get those merged into one?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I'll try to implement that tomorrow. Too sleepy to work on the site anymore tonight.

In the meantime, you can see a fighter's race from the betting screen by clicking the link to view the fighter.

Awesome. You've done really great work on this so far.

The other thing I'd suggest is way to view a list of the bets you've placed so far.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Fuuuck second to last fight, now I have to wait so long to...

Fuuuuuck I'm fighting a Yeti, all is lost!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Pasco posted:

Fuuuck second to last fight, now I have to wait so long to...

Fuuuuuck I'm fighting a Yeti, all is lost!

YETI BRAWL ENTRANT 76268 is the sole survivor of the last of the highly secretive, highly illegal and highly erotic underground yeti fights. Although he is not used to fighting such a TINY opponent as a werewolf, he has been specifically instructed to fold Mutt Jr into a pretzel for use as an afternoon snack.

I expect he will go well with a side of tea.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I have some insider information on the fighter known as "Badgerconda"

His weakness is axes, preferably from McMillan and Son Axes.

Also, betting based on who has the better name

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

VladTheEater posted:

YETI BRAWL ENTRANT 76268 is the sole survivor of the last of the highly secretive, highly illegal and highly erotic underground yeti fights. Although he is not used to fighting such a TINY opponent as a werewolf, he has been specifically instructed to fold Mutt Jr into a pretzel for use as an afternoon snack.

You better win, i put alot of money on you!:20bux::argh:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

An Erotic Yeti fighter? How could you not!

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm up against Bene Elim's character. If the entire planet was one gigantic orgy, that would be about how hosed I am.

All my money is riding on you buddy! don't let me down :thumbsup:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

If there is one thing Tantrum Spiral hates, it is barrels. But, of course, there is no one thing that Tantrum Spiral hates. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been this angry since all his friends died and he couldn't get a hematite armor stand for his room. The latter irritates him so much that this tigerman is super hosed.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I have put all my money on George, I except him to succeed. If not there will be consequences, namely being poor.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The new betting thing looks absolutely awesome. The only thing I think it's missing is viewing the gender and race when you hover over the name (like how it is for the "View Bracket" page), but beyond that minor cosmetic change, :iia:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

I have some insider information on the fighter known as "Badgerconda"

His weakness is axes, preferably from McMillan and Son Axes.

Also, betting based on who has the better name

But the Badgerconda is also the axe's weakness :pseudo:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

Although he is not used to fighting such a TINY opponent as a werewolf, he has been specifically instructed to fold Mutt Jr into a pretzel for use as an afternoon snack.

A Pretzel, with Tea?

Of course you realize, this means war!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'm going to do my old standby on betting on the larger opponent.

It seems to work.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Kwathi posted:

Excellent, Ethelgreen the Unready faces a yeti in the first round, a beast he has been specifically trained and equipped the defeat! (This is a lie, please no one tell him what a yeti is. We've told him it's a delicious species of pheasant that likes to nest in shag rugs.)

Listen, brother, you better say your vitamins and eat your prayers, because Hawk Hogan is gonna get beaten for the first half of the fight, no sell your poo poo by having a seizure, and then break his hip from being old, brother. Brother.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008

Jason Firestrider posted:

Listen, brother, you better say your vitamins and eat your prayers, because Hawk Hogan is gonna get beaten for the first half of the fight, no sell your poo poo by having a seizure, and then break his hip from being old, brother. Brother.

Pretty sure I put money on this fight against the yeti, so I hope your right.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
What sort of manager would I be if I voted against my own fighter? All of my monies on Panty Thief! Unfortunate Slave, you're going down, panties or no panties.

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 30, 2011

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
My god, I can't wait for the carnage to begin. The fight I'm looking most forward to is the last one in the schedule, Minotaur v.s Gremlin, sure to be an instant classic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr. Vile posted:

What sort of manager would I be if I voted against my own fighter? All of my monies on Panty Thief! Unfortunate Slave, you're going down, panties or no panties.
The sex jokes are getting out of hand and no one's even trying!

Jason Firestrider posted:

Wow. Freak out, brother. :madmax::coffee:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 30, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

RickVoid posted:

Soooo. This kinda sucks. I'm without computer based internet for the next several days, so I can't view the current match-ups. Can't really bet either, except for some blind bets, like so:

50 DB on all Goblin Gladiators except for Dies Horribly.

1000 DB on Dies Horribly.

Goblin solidarity, I can't imagine not having the money for this. Also, in the list of participants and their cash totals, it looked like I was listed twice (RickVoid, rickvoid). Can I get those merged into one?

Got it, I've entered the following on your behalf:

50 DB on Pinball Wizard
50 DB on Elizabeth Bennet
50 DB on Gary "Hanzo" Busey
50 DB on Unfortunate Slave
50 DB on Ethelgreen the Unready
50 DB on Pham
50 DB on Mart Scar
50 DB on Yum
1000 DB on Dies Horribly

Your cash totals have already been merged on the website.

Jack the Lad posted:

The other thing I'd suggest is way to view a list of the bets you've placed so far.

I'll try to put together a screen that does this over the weekend.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

The sex jokes are getting out of hand and no one's even trying!

Wow. Freak out, brother. :madmax::coffee:

That GOBLIN, Busey, is like a single grain of sand in the Sahara desert that is Macho Madness.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
I love the Richard Parker vs Schrödinger matchup. Clash of the ontologically problematic cats!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Couple of updates have been made to the betting interface:

Registered site members may now see a fighter's details on the betting board by floating the mouse cursor over the fighter's name.

A "Total Outstanding Bets" column has been added to the betting leader board, just to keep anyone from freaking out when they see that they have 0 funds after betting everything they have.

As I said, I'll try to put together a page this weekend that shows you all of the bets that you've made at a glance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Excellent work, as always. I'm hoping to get the first batch of contests run tonight, so get those bets in if they concern the first 5 or 6 fights!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Cretas ElfStomper is a good ol' boy from a small country labyrinth. Most people find his Greek spoken with a American southern drawl to be interesting but are put off by his violent temperate and casual racism against all smaller beings. After witnessing what he thought was a cowardly win by Dies Horribly in the ring he claims he will and I quote, "συντρίψει όλα τα μικρά καθάρματα". Fighting a gremlin fighter in the first round he claims, "I κρίμα ο ανόητος που θα φωνάζουν σαν ένα μικρό γουρούνι."

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Just a question on suspected bug (might be working as expected?)
http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?4
Total Funds/Available funds are the same no matter what it seems. Is it supposed to be total=remaining+outstanding bets and Available=Whatever money you have left after betting? Or is there something I've missed

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Pladdicus posted:

Just a question on suspected bug (might be working as expected?)
http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?4
Total Funds/Available funds are the same no matter what it seems. Is it supposed to be total=remaining+outstanding bets and Available=Whatever money you have left after betting? Or is there something I've missed

Total and Available are the same because no matches have been run yet for the current round.

When you place a bet, your Outstanding Bets amount increases, and both your Total and Available funds decrease by the amount of your bet.

Once the first match is run, anyone who bet on the winner of the first match will see an increase in Total funds equal to their winnings, but the newly-won funds will not become Available to bet with until the start of the next round.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Ahah! Alright, I was wondering if it was something like that.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

As the manager for Pham the Goblin, it's my duty to inform you that my client is ready for blood. :hist101:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

A good poster posted:

Oh man, my yeti's first match is against a kobold. That's gonna be so much fun.

welp. :smith:

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

Clockwork Gadget posted:

welp. :smith:

I have found some small guy builds that are pretty effective versus first round big guys(Sometimes with an almost 50% win rate), so if you built him right you might have a chance yet.

Just don't tell Cretas I said that...:ssh:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Smatru is up against a minotaur. Ooooooh boy.

Smatru isn't a dwarf. Smatru doesn't even speak dwarven. Heck, Smatru doesn't even speak coherantly! But if he could, he'd recite the traditional dwarven proverb, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth"

Go get 'em little guy!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Looks like Schrödinger is going up against Richard Parker, another tigerman.

Catfight. :catstare:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
God loving damnit. I'm fighting a dwarf. Why couldnt it be a carp or an elephant?

Praying it's a gimmick dwarf, and betting on myself.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

Smatru is up against a minotaur. Ooooooh boy.

Smatru isn't a dwarf. Smatru doesn't even speak dwarven. Heck, Smatru doesn't even speak coherantly! But if he could, he'd recite the traditional dwarven proverb, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth"

Go get 'em little guy!

...you gave your Kobold biting?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
No, but testing has shown that Smatru doesn't care if he's skilled in biting or not to try.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Shooty McShootalot is an Elf who has a bow and nerves of steel. That will probably be ripped out painfully if he doesn't land a good first blow. And he is against...

a YETI?

PLEASE SHOOT WELL!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Useless Shotgun posted:

Shooty McShootalot is an Elf who has a bow and nerves of steel. That will probably be ripped out painfully if he doesn't land a good first blow. And he is against...

a YETI?

PLEASE SHOOT WELL!

A bigger creature just means a bigger target! :black101:

Not so big that I'm betting on the elf, but the point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches One through Three:siren:

Match One, Ko the Bold (Bularin) vs. Goobert (Greedish)

The first match of the tournament features Ko the Bold, unsurprisingly a kobold, armed with an adamantine scourge. His opponent is Goobert the dwarf, armed with a steel great axe, clad in a platinum breast plate, and incidentally wearing some leather high boots. Note that an adamantine scourge costs an astounding 1440 points, so seeing one in the first round is certainly unusual!

The match begins! Ko, with his superior speed, takes the first strike, but Goobert jumps forward to avoid the deadly, razor-sharp wire!

Both fighters adjust their footing with another step, then Ko lashes out again! This time, Goobert does not even have to move an inch to avoid the scourge, and immediately counter with a heft of his great axe! The mighty blade easily slices through Ko's neck, decapitating the poor kobold. Goobert initially thinks that he missed his strike due to the lack of resistance, but upon seeing the slain kobold, the dwarf calmly wipes down his axe and marches off-stage.

Log

Match Two, Hawk Hogan (Jason Firestrider) vs. Ethelgreen the Unready (Kwathi)

Hawk Hogan the yeti enters the ring without a single stitch of armor nor so much as a dagger. It seems the beast is committed to fighting with his massive fists alone. Ethelgreen the Unready, meanwhile, is a goblin with a bronze war hammer. Not really the type of weapon that you want to have on hand when taking on a massive foe like a yeti. Will Ethelgreen be able to stand his ground, or will Hawk Hogan grind him to dust?

The fight begins, and both combatants charge forward! Ethelgreen immediately begins pounding away ineffectually on his massive foe's tree-like leg. Hawk Hogan exchanges blows for a moment, then charges at the goblin, sending him tumbling!

Ethelgreen keeps his wits together enough to roll away from what might have been a fatal downward punch, then scrambles to his feet, only to be upended once more, this time with enough force to momentarily stun him!

Hawk Hogan continues his onslaught, but Ethelgreen is just tough enough to escape without any crippling wounds, then gets back up. Hawk Hogan immediately charges again, and again Ethelgreen is knocked down, only to escape once more without serious harm! Hawk Hogan's next charge sees Ethelgreen leaping back just in time to avoid a collision- but Hawk simply rushes forward further. This time, though, Ethelgreen slips by the yeti and smashes him upon the hand on the way! The hammer strike bruises through to bone, but fails to inflict so much as a fracture.

Ethelgreen steps back toward his disoriented foe, but the yeti turns with surprising speed and floors his opponent yet again! He then grabs the stunned, squirming goblin by the arm, punches him in the chest, and moves to set up an arm-bar. As Ethelgreen gets to his feet, though, Hawk forgets all about wrestling and returns to bludgeoning the green-skin. At one point, Ethelgreen's finger is torn open by a lucky swing, but somehow, the goblin still manages to escape any real harm.

Finally, though, Hawk Hogan tires of his opponent's nonsense. After one more fateful charge, the yeti chomps down on his flailing opponent's foot, and with a shake of his mighty head, rips it free of Ethelgreen's leg! Ethelgreen, now despite, swings his hammer with great force at the yeti's previously-hammered thigh, and finally succeeds in inflicting a fracture upon his foe! Meanwhile, though, Hawk grabs Ethelgreen's off-hand in one of his mighty fists and snaps it at the wrist! Ethelgreen screams in pain, but is still in something resembling fighting condition, despite his grievous injuries.

Ethelgreen scores a strike upon Hawk's lower leg, but fails to cause any real harm, then scrambles away from another of the yeti's punishing strikes. You have to hand it to the goblin, he does have a strong will to live! He manages to score another hit on the yeti's bruised shin before rolling away once more. Then, as Hawk reaches for him once more, Ethelgreen smashes the reckless yeti's arm with his hammer, cracking the sturdy beast's bone! The two combatants are now suffering similar levels of pain, but Ethelgreen is also pale from blood loss and occasionally winded thanks to a bruised lung.

Ethelgreen continues to evade his opponent, and manages to land a solid blow to the yeti's chest in the process. Just as it looks like he might have a real chance, though, the yeti manages to grab him around the knee. Fearful of losing his remaining functioning leg, Ethelgreen struggles to escape, but to no avail: the yeti snaps his knee like a twig, plunging the goblin into the throes of horrendous agony. As Ethelgreen thrashes, Hawk slashes open the goblin's face with sharp nails, then breaks his hip as well. Finally, the yeti smashes his first through Ethelgreen's pained face, ending the goblin's struggles once and for all.

Log

Match Three, Trisk (Pladdicus) vs. Murderface (tourettedog)

Trisk the human is armed with a bronze long sword and armored in an iron mail shirt, copper helm and legwear, and a copper shield. Murderface the serpent man has an iron spear and copper shield. Will Trisk's armor save the day?

As the fight begins, both warriors stream forward. Murderface makes the first move, but Trisk leaps back to avoid the spear-thrust.

Trisk attacks next, but Murderface dodges in turn. Then, in a surprise move, the smaller serpent man suddenly springs upon the human! The two go down in a heap of limbs, both stunned by the collision. Trisk manages to get to his feet first, just in time to evade an incoming jab. Soon Murderface is up as well, and he dodges another strike as well. The deft gladiators continue weaving back and forth, avoiding each others' attacks with practiced precision.

On and on they go, dozens of strikes slicing through naught but air, the serpent and the man appear as dancers rather than killers. Finally, Murderface is forced to block an attack with his shield rather than dodging outright, and the illusion is broken. Trisk attempts a charge shortly after, but the serpent man slithers out of the way just in time- but a second charge brings him down, stunned. Even from the ground, Murderface defends himself well, but does suffer a stinging slap to the head with the flat of Trisk's sword. Once Murderface is upright again, though, the "dance" re-commences.

For minutes, the warriors dip, twirl, leap, and generally put on a show. Eventually, Murderface rushes Trisk once more, bringing both warriors back to the ground. Murderface is first up, though to little avail- he is soon driven back, and Trisk stands tall as well. Shortly after, Murderface surprises Trisk with a bite on the leg, but the human's solid copper greaves repel mere fangs with ease. A thrust of his spear is similarly deflected, as is a bash of his shield. It seems that Trisk's armor was a sound investment, indeed.

In the next engagement, Trisk knocks his nimble opponent to the ground and manages, on his second attempt, to hack off his shield arm! Murderface tries to recover, but Trisk knocks him down yet again, and stabs him in the belly once, twice, shattering the serpent man's spine and spilling his guts! Again, Murderface struggles to return to the fight, but soon falls into a coil of bloody, wounded scales, unconscious. Trisk finishes the job by hacking through his opponent's head, slaying him on the spot. After many minutes of tense action, Trisk claims a well-earned victory!

Log

Note: I got through a few fights less than expected due to the extreme lengths of the last two matches. Seriously, check out those combat logs, it's ridiculous.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 31, 2011

• Locked thread