Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

firstworldproblems.txt

I bet you that unofficially the evo will get at LEAST another two years of updates.

Another two years? Doubtful, by then I really doubt the single core and "low" amount of RAM in the Evo 4G will be enough to even run Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Perception wise the 3D just looks unprofessional.

It is a bit odd when it sits on my desk at work and all of the sudden it starts telling racist jokes, but otherwise it mostly blends in at the workplace.

Seriously, though, how is a phone unprofessional unless it's lime green or covered in stickers?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

900ftjesus posted:

It is a bit odd when it sits on my desk at work and all of the sudden it starts telling racist jokes, but otherwise it mostly blends in at the workplace.

Seriously, though, how is a phone unprofessional unless it's lime green or covered in stickers?

I think he means that the 3D has the image of a 'toy' phone which wouldn't be business-oriented. Not the actual looks of the device, but the fact that it's a "wow whiz-bang cool toy" phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Sorry, I should clarify: it doesn't look unprofessional, but the name of the phone SOUNDS unprofessional. Unprofessional could be an inaccurate term for what I am trying to describe. Toy is a better adjective.

I worked on a big convention this month where a corporation is slowly switching employees from company paid for dumbphones to employee owned smartphones that the company reimburses (in a nutshell, the employee pays the difference in extra monthly cost for a smartphone). The almost universal initial reaction is "oh I don't need/want 3D, just give me te regular one." It certainly is a bit how you present it, and I'm just in the habit now of immediately going "the 3D is a side feature, it also has the best hardware," but out of 50ish sales only about 5-7 were the 3D. They were only allowed to choose between the Evo, Evo 3D and Epic (company mandate). Price was honestly probably the biggest factor, but a lot of these guys just didn't want some silly 3D feature, and the Evo was "fast enough."

I do think the Photon will sell better to businesses, and that is what Sprint/Motorola is marketing it towards as well.

And I did laugh at the racist jokes quip, very well done sir.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Of course if you're working in an environment where the name of the phone is enough to make you look unprofessional, why bother getting anything that has a bright red spot on it either?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry, I should clarify: it doesn't look unprofessional, but the name of the phone SOUNDS unprofessional. Unprofessional could be an inaccurate term for what I am trying to describe. Toy is a better adjective.

I worked on a big convention this month where a corporation is slowly switching employees from company paid for dumbphones to employee owned smartphones that the company reimburses (in a nutshell, the employee pays the difference in extra monthly cost for a smartphone). The almost universal initial reaction is "oh I don't need/want 3D, just give me te regular one." It certainly is a bit how you present it, and I'm just in the habit now of immediately going "the 3D is a side feature, it also has the best hardware," but out of 50ish sales only about 5-7 were the 3D. They were only allowed to choose between the Evo, Evo 3D and Epic (company mandate). Price was honestly probably the biggest factor, but a lot of these guys just didn't want some silly 3D feature, and the Evo was "fast enough."

I do think the Photon will sell better to businesses, and that is what Sprint/Motorola is marketing it towards as well.

And I did laugh at the racist jokes quip, very well done sir.

That's fair, Evo 2 would have been a much better name. They really did a pretty stupid thing putting the 3D feature in the name.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

Of course if you're working in an environment where the name of the phone is enough to make you look unprofessional, why bother getting anything that has a bright red spot on it either?

He is talking about selling the phone to people and how the name sounds to them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

I definetely should change my terminology from unprofessional to toy, traveling midget has better descriptive terms than I. People see it as a toy in honestly the same way the Echo is seen as a toy (just not to that level). Perception is a huge factor with cell phones, cell phones are now hip and cool, even "normal people" don't want to look dumb. Thinking about it, that's probably a big reason why both Android and Apple users get so ridiculously crazy defensive about their respective platforms.

I guarantee you perception and coolness is the main reason Windows phone doesn't sell. I have had guys that match perfectly with that phone, only to back out because they are afraid of their friends making fun of them for not getting an android phone.

And beyond my business account, Sprint has a lot of "rugged" business users thanks to Nextel. Those users don't want a 3D phone. Just that simple. The Photon will be the phone they all get, because the big screen is something they do like (as long as otterbox has a defender case for it).

Edit: another group it kind of misses is Moms. I swear the 3D is seen as either too much or unnecessary. I love the 3D a lot, I just wish it was the sensation in some ways.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 31, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Another two years? Doubtful, by then I really doubt the single core and "low" amount of RAM in the Evo 4G will be enough to even run Android.

Gingerbread has been ported to the G1, I am pretty sure that the Evo will have ports for a while, at least past ICS.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Duckman2008 posted:

I guarantee you perception and coolness is the main reason Windows phone doesn't sell. I have had guys that match perfectly with that phone, only to back out because they are afraid of their friends making fun of them for not getting an android phone.

To expand on this, when I worked for Best Buy Mobile, I once showed an ATT customer an Android phone, as he was really curious to get his hands on one. He said everyone in his house used a Mac and had an iPhone, but he wasn't interested in it and wanted to try something else.

His wife eventually wandered over and saw him with his hands on an Android device, and she basically started yelling at him that he's not getting that. Really, I mean yelling. She was incredibly upset and stormed off. The guy, meekly, thanked me and ran off after her.

So loving sad.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Just verifying my thoughts...

My fiancee approached me about joining my plan and switching to an Android phone from her iPhone and family plan she is on.

I have the SERO account.

There's no way to add her to mine is there?

What is my best course of action?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

900ftjesus posted:

That's fair, Evo 2 would have been a much better name. They really did a pretty stupid thing putting the 3D feature in the name.

I think the better option would have been to consider the Evo Shift the Evo 2, maybe as an additional side name like the Evo4G was also the Supersonic. Then the Evo 3 could also go by the same principal with an optional D at the end.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I noticed some of my apps, like Gmail, don't show up under "my apps" in the market. Is this because they're some kind of sprint version? Am I at the mercy of sprint when I want to update them?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Any day 1 Hero users celebrating one last night with this piece of poo poo?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

blargle posted:

I noticed some of my apps, like Gmail, don't show up under "my apps" in the market. Is this because they're some kind of sprint version? Am I at the mercy of sprint when I want to update them?

What happens if you search for Gmail on the market? GMail shows up fine for me in My Apps. Maybe you never downloaded the updates from the market?

Otherwise try clearing the cache and data for the market, and if you're rooted, run Market Doctor in Titanium Backup.

edit: I don't know what kind of phone you're using but since this sort of became the de facto Evo 3D thread, I'm guessing it's that.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

diospadre posted:

Definitely excited that my 2 year upgrade hits tomorrow morning. Just waiting on some reviews of the Photon to decide between it and the Evo 3D. From this thread I'm leaning toward 3D.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I guess I have to hit up a Sprint Repair Store tomorrow. The Best Buy return date just passed (It's 30 days from the purchase of the original phone, right? It won't reset because I exchanged it because of a defect?).

My Evo3D for some reason has to be plugged in just right, otherwise it either won't charge, or it'll actually make the charger quit working.
My car charger has an LED on it, and it'll actually turn that off.

It'll also randomly ask about a Dock mode, even though this is a regular car charger; it doesn't do that to any other phone's I've tried with it.

Edit:

Which stores stock the iGo car dock? Corporate? Third party? Or most?

uapyro fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 1, 2011

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

uapyro posted:

I guess I have to hit up a Sprint Repair Store tomorrow. The Best Buy return date just passed (It's 30 days from the purchase of the original phone, right? It won't reset because I exchanged it because of a defect?).

My Evo3D for some reason has to be plugged in just right, otherwise it either won't charge, or it'll actually make the charger quit working.
My car charger has an LED on it, and it'll actually turn that off.

It'll also randomly ask about a Dock mode, even though this is a regular car charger; it doesn't do that to any other phone's I've tried with it.

Edit:

Which stores stock the iGo car dock? Corporate? Third party? Or most?

No, for an exchange it's 30 days from your last exchange; not the original purchase. I believe Radioshack does iGo, Best Buy doesn't.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Thanks that worked, and yes Evo 3D. None of the apps that came preloaded show in the market, I have to install over and clear cache and then they'll show.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What happens if you search for Gmail on the market? GMail shows up fine for me in My Apps. Maybe you never downloaded the updates from the market?

Otherwise try clearing the cache and data for the market, and if you're rooted, run Market Doctor in Titanium Backup.

edit: I don't know what kind of phone you're using but since this sort of became the de facto Evo 3D thread, I'm guessing it's that.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

diospadre posted:

Hahahahaha. ABSO-loving-LUTELY. This phone has been the bane of my existence the past 6 months when the battery decided to only work for 6-8 hours and my morning alarm suddenly can only be turned off by turning off the phone. Off to the store tomorrow to figure out if I like the Evo 3D or the Photon better!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Rent posted:

No, for an exchange it's 30 days from your last exchange; not the original purchase. I believe Radioshack does iGo, Best Buy doesn't.

Thanks! You just saved me from having to drive about 40 minute out of the way to go to a Sprint repair store. I miss the days when there was one 10 minutes from me. Then 25 minutes from me, and now it's a lot further :(

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I upgraded from a Hero to an Evo 3D a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me of when I first received my Hero as my first smart phone. I no longer have to question whether my phone can run any given app, I don't have to wait for the phone to play catch up as I type, and everything zips along beautifully. I went through Amazon Wireless and the process was quick and painless. Amazon was offering the Evo 3D for $179, plus an additional $15 in credits ($5 app store, $5 Mp3, $5 Kindle) which was too good of an offer to pass up.

My only, very minor, complaint so far is that when I use HTC's People widget the photos it uses for each person are blurry, most likely due to the high resolution of the 3D's screen compared to other HTC phones that also have that widget available. It's taking what I'm assuming is a smaller photo the phone sucked in for each contact from Facebook and blowing it up much larger than it's meant to be displayed. Like I said, a very minor issue, but a little annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a solution to get the images to display at a higher resolution?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

uapyro posted:

I think the better option would have been to consider the Evo Shift the Evo 2, maybe as an additional side name like the Evo4G was also the Supersonic. Then the Evo 3 could also go by the same principal with an optional D at the end.

Supersonic was a usable code name, the 3D doesn't get that bonus because it's the Shooter. Marketing genius.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
My evo shift's touchscreen goes all stupid, I think particularly when it gets hot. Unfortunately, it's been 102 in the shade every day for 3 weeks now, so it doesn't work right a lot.

Registers clicks in the wrong place, fails to register clicks at all, locks the big pull-down-from-the-top "notifications/quick settings" pane in the middle and won't let it come down or go back up, just wiggles in the middle.

Oddly, turning the screen off always gets the "pull down to unlock screen" motion to work, and maybe a few motions after that but then it is hit or miss with anything else.

Is this a known issue? Is my phone dumb? am I dumb? Would I have to get it to demonstrate the behavior if I took it back to bestbuy to get them to fix/replace it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

This is incorrect, it is 30 days from original purchase (think 30 days from day you signed contract) via any Sprint/big box channel. If you want to try and exchange it, go for it, I just would be really surprised if they did the exchange.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 1, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Krime posted:

Just verifying my thoughts...

My fiancee approached me about joining my plan and switching to an Android phone from her iPhone and family plan she is on.

I have the SERO account.

There's no way to add her to mine is there?

What is my best course of action?

Can't add her to yours, SERO accounts are solo accounts. You could upgrade to EPRP and then add her as a second line.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

Steve Moore posted:

Can't add her to yours, SERO accounts are solo accounts. You could upgrade to EPRP and then add her as a second line.

This is my situation then. I'll be joined by my girlfriend when the Galaxy S2 comes out. We went in to a store and got told a bunch of stuff about $10 smartphone data charges and whatnot, but the site doesn't list that under my account with EPRP. Any info?

I've got $59.99/month for my Hero (soon to be 3D). Will the $10 fees start to get added when I change the account or add her line?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

Mine already came in handy at work during a discussion with a client, who mentioned the E3D before I had taken mine out of my pocket. Turned into a nice "Well, now that you mention it... " moment, and lead to a discussion on the finer points of rooting and CM7.

Professional? Or just pro?

To the guy above, $10 fees will apply to any non Samsung Replenish smartphone on any EPRP line. Even with that it is still a hell of a deal.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Slo-Tek posted:

My evo shift's touchscreen goes all stupid, I think particularly when it gets hot. Unfortunately, it's been 102 in the shade every day for 3 weeks now, so it doesn't work right a lot.

Is this a known issue? Is my phone dumb? am I dumb? Would I have to get it to demonstrate the behavior if I took it back to bestbuy to get them to fix/replace it?

I have this happen a lot on my Evo 4g too. Are you running the stock rom still? I'm running Cyanogen with LP, and while I think it's heat like you do, I've thought about going back to stock just to make sure it wasn't a software issue.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
This is certain to come up in this thread within the next few days, so:

http://www.androidcentral.com/want-charge-your-photon-4g-and-use-kickstand-just-flip-it-over

quote:

The best part about having the best Android community around? Easy answer to stupid problems. See, as Android Central Forums member Quis points out, when you're using kickstand on the Motorola Photon 4G like in the picture above, you can't charge at the same time because the microUSB port is resting against the table/desk/laptop whatever. Oops.

Fellow forums member RickNY points out the easy fix -- the Photon's kickstand is sturdy enough to support the phone backwards. And, sure enough, flip it over and the phone stays up, and the widget clock works, too. Easy solution to a dumb problem. Nicely done, folks!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wow I turned a thing upside down, let me make a youtube video about it.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Slo-Tek posted:

Registers clicks in the wrong place, fails to register clicks at all, locks the big pull-down-from-the-top "notifications/quick settings" pane in the middle and won't let it come down or go back up, just wiggles in the middle.

Oddly, turning the screen off always gets the "pull down to unlock screen" motion to work, and maybe a few motions after that but then it is hit or miss with anything else.

That sounds exactly like what happened to my fiance's Shift, twice. It would work fine sometimes and then start acting like someone was wiggling their finger in the upper middle of the screen. Because it was intermittent and hard to explain, I found the easiest way to demonstrate it to the repair people at the Sprint store was to download a free MSPaint-type app from the market. After waiting for a little bit it eventually started scribbling back and forth by itself. Since I didn't have insurance on that line it cost me $35 to have the screen replaced. When it started again less than 24 hours later they just gave me a new phone.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Grumpwagon posted:

I have this happen a lot on my Evo 4g too. Are you running the stock rom still? I'm running Cyanogen with LP, and while I think it's heat like you do, I've thought about going back to stock just to make sure it wasn't a software issue.

I am running stock, without very many aps installed.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

This is incorrect, it is 30 days from original purchase (think 30 days from day you signed contract) via any Sprint/big box channel. If you want to try and exchange it, go for it, I just would be really surprised if they did the exchange.

I saw your post, and called Best Buy asking to speak to mobile, there they said 30 days from the last exchange. I get up there and they say no, that the new girl didn't know that was an exception. So you are right good sir!

I definitely miss seeing people I recognize / know anything at all about a phone, because the guy that looked at the phone also said that my loose USB port randomly causing the Car Dock thing to pop up with the original charger was because USB Debugging was on.

On the bright side, went by the Corp Sprint store that was close to there, and they will have me a new(refurb I'm guessing) one coming in the mail. I bought the iGrip car dock there, and got it for $34 and some change, when it's normally $39.99+tax. Looks like that Sprint Premiere Silver finally does do something useful.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I currently have a Hero and am now eligible for my upgrade. I'm ready for an upgrade but what I really want to do is wait for the next Nexus phone. Is that crazy? Should I just go ahead and get the Evo 3D or the Photon (probably the 3D)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Recycled Karma posted:

I currently have a Hero and am now eligible for my upgrade. I'm ready for an upgrade but what I really want to do is wait for the next Nexus phone. Is that crazy? Should I just go ahead and get the Evo 3D or the Photon (probably the 3D)?

Waiting is crazy, but waiting with an Evo is. You can find them online or craigslist for $200ish at this point, so you can get a good no-contract upgrade while waiting for whatever next super phone is there. From the sounds of it, I would highly recommend that, if you get a 3D now you would be freaking out and trying to sell it whenever that Nexus launches (not necessarily a bad trait!). Aka, buy used now, avoid buyer's remorse later.

Personally, I think phones are starting to plateau with dual core (arguable even with single core), so I just can't imagine any Nexus phone being crazy over the top. However, I would love for Google to surprise me and make me completely wrong on that. Anyone agree or disagree?

uapyro posted:

I saw your post, and called Best Buy asking to speak to mobile, there they said 30 days from the last exchange. I get up there and they say no, that the new girl didn't know that was an exception. So you are right good sir!

I definitely miss seeing people I recognize / know anything at all about a phone, because the guy that looked at the phone also said that my loose USB port randomly causing the Car Dock thing to pop up with the original charger was because USB Debugging was on.

On the bright side, went by the Corp Sprint store that was close to there, and they will have me a new(refurb I'm guessing) one coming in the mail. I bought the iGrip car dock there, and got it for $34 and some change, when it's normally $39.99+tax. Looks like that Sprint Premiere Silver finally does do something useful.

If you got the 3D it may be new enough that you get lucky and get a new unit. However, Sprint has a pretty good track record on refurbs in my experience, so I wouldn't fret necessarily either way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Recycled Karma posted:

Is that crazy?
It's not crazy, particularly if you're satisfied with the Hero. However we really don't know when the device will be available on Sprint. I'd expect some ICS Nexus device to hit late Q4 2011, but a Sprint-branded version could take until next Spring to come out.

The main downside to waiting is that you're basically throwing away money by sitting on your upgrade for ~9 months.

I'd probably get an Evo 3D, and sell it when the ICS Nexus hits if you decide you'd rather have that. You'd have to get the Nexus used or retail, so you'd probably take a $200-250 hit in the process. But you get a much better phone to use in the mean time, and you'll be ~9 months ahead on your next upgrade.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

so I just can't imagine any Nexus phone being crazy over the top. However, I would love for Google to surprise me and make me completely wrong on that. Anyone agree or disagree?
I'd expect it to be roughly contemporary to the Evo 3D, Photon, SGSII, power wise. So 1.0-1.2 GHz dual-core with 1 GB RAM. Actually, if Samsung OEMs it, it's probably going to be SGSII hardware.

But like the Nexus S, the real value of it would be that it's designed for Google's intentions with ICS, i.e., no hardware buttons, curved display, NFC, 4.3 SAMOLED+, etc., that kind of stuff.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
These appear to be the only ROMs released for the 3D thus far that don't seem to be run by complete incompetent fuckwits.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1194137
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192628

Disclaimer, I have not used them. I'm judging them purely by the fact that they appear capable of speaking English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I played with the Photon and 3D today to figure out which route to go for upgrading. There was no comparison, the 3D is a solid phone.