Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2010 15" MBP boots in about 15 seconds after I upgraded with an OWC SSD. But that doesn't really matter since there's no real reason to shut it off in the first place like you guys said. As long as I see Chrome or iTunes turn on in one bounce I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Anand did a review of the i7 in the 11" Air and concluded that the upgrade was worth it. You get an average of 22% performance increase with basically zero impact on battery life (unless you are running at 100% CPU for extended periods of time). He also threw in that there wasn't a noticeable difference between the LG and Samsung panels.

11" i7 Anandtech Update

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jfreder posted:

Anand did a review of the i7 in the 11" Air and concluded that the upgrade was worth it. You get an average of 22% performance increase with basically zero impact on battery life (unless you are running at 100% CPU for extended periods of time). He also threw in that there wasn't a noticeable difference between the LG and Samsung panels.

11" i7 Anandtech Update

It seems there are big differences in the two SSD vendors though.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 2, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

My 2010 15" MBP boots in about 15 seconds after I upgraded with an OWC SSD. But that doesn't really matter since there's no real reason to shut it off in the first place like you guys said. As long as I see Chrome or iTunes turn on in one bounce I'm happy.

My 13" boots in about the same amount of time. More than half of it is spent at the stupid grey Mac screen.

Video!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SpoonsForThought posted:

I'm a senior architecture student and I plan on picking up the 13" Air this summer to allow me to be more mobile so I can get out of studio every once in a while! However, the 13" Air will compliment my i5 desktop Hackintosh that I use when I need more muscle.

The Air even with its HD3000 will run AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, Maya and the Adobe suite fine. If the 13" Air is going to be their primary machine for next few years in school the i7 could potentially be worth it if he sees himself doing renders on the machine. The extra 10% increase in performance could shave some serious time when he is crunched for it.

Depending on his media library size, he will probably want to move to the 256 GB SSD simply because once they end up installing all the required programs and most likely BootCamp he will appreciate the extra space. I have a 120 GB HD on my older Macbook and with the Adobe Suite installed, 20GB of music and no bootcamp I'm already pushing for space.

I'd recommend if money is more flexible and they only want to use 1 computer he might want to look at the 15" Pro simply because its 6XXX card is leagues above the HD3000 and it by default comes with more storage space.

Students don't pay drafters to do their work?

AutoCAD is still widely used by students. I've used it for every project.

My friend ended up going to an Apple store this past weekend, and so now he's deciding between paying a bit extra for the 15" Pro, or going with the 13" top-end Air upgraded to the i7. At least for a couple of years it'll probably be his main system, so he's going to spend this weekend apparently deciding on which to go with, and probably pick it up next weekend.

So my own 13" MBP arrived, but I haven't opened it yet because I'm deciding whether it'd be worth it to return it for a 13" upgraded to the i7. I haven't seen a lot of reviews comparing the two and what I could find was limited. is the i7 worth it in the 13" MBP?

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Is anyone using this fancy hybrid HD/SSD, the seagate momentus XT? It sounds nice, but I'm not sure how much I trust it to "learn" my commonly used files. Does this work in real life? If you dual boot with windows does it just confuse the hell out of the drive? And can you (or do you need to) use the trim enabler with lion for the SSD partition? Similarly, does the phantom lion recovery partition work well with this drive (i.e. it won't accidentally partition off part of the SSD that would be used for speeding up the computer, right?). I'm going to pick up either this or the WD scorpio black to upgrade my 09 MBP.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SourKraut posted:

My friend ended up going to an Apple store this past weekend, and so now he's deciding between paying a bit extra for the 15" Pro, or going with the 13" top-end Air upgraded to the i7.

That's basically the debate I had, but with money as a limiting factor and the fact I already have a great desktop, I've picked the air. If I was in his situation I would I probably be leaning slightly more towards the MacBook Pro just because of the discrete 6**** card.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

So my own 13" MBP arrived, but I haven't opened it yet because I'm deciding whether it'd be worth it to return it for a 13" upgraded to the i7. I haven't seen a lot of reviews comparing the two and what I could find was limited. is the i7 worth it in the 13" MBP?

For $300 (25% of a $1199 laptop!) I wouldn't bother. Unless you're going to use it to run Cinebench and Photoshop all day. Buy $300 worth of Apple stock and then just buy a new one in 3 years.

ndrake posted:

Is anyone using this fancy hybrid HD/SSD, the seagate momentus XT? It sounds nice, but I'm not sure how much I trust it to "learn" my commonly used files. Does this work in real life? If you dual boot with windows does it just confuse the hell out of the drive? And can you (or do you need to) use the trim enabler with lion for the SSD partition? Similarly, does the phantom lion recovery partition work well with this drive (i.e. it won't accidentally partition off part of the SSD that would be used for speeding up the computer, right?). I'm going to pick up either this or the WD scorpio black to upgrade my 09 MBP.

Don't.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Thanks newegg

:shepface:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should run a VM of Lion inside a VM of Windows 7 Inside a VM of Ubuntu.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

ndrake posted:

I have been using a 500GB Momentus for quite a while (also in a 2009 MBP), and there are a few misconceptions at the heart of this post. Mostly, it's not separate partitions. The drive presents as one drive to the host and the flash cache is handled by the onboard controllers. So none of the partitioning questions are relevant: There's no SSD to trim; disk utilities have no idea there's flash cache; recovery software won't overwrite anything but the persistent magnetic storage.

Any benefits of the caching will be lost by frequent dual-booting, but otherwise, it's been a good drive with some solid read performance gains over time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Has anyone picked up Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter with a 2011 Air? I'm seeing some reports of the adapter not working with Lion, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up. I have a feeling that the third-party ThunderBolt to Ethernet adapter will be ridiculously expensive.

ndrake posted:

It works about as well as you'd expect a three-generation old hard drive with not enough flash memory that's only being used for read cache: not that well. Certain benchmarks show it in a favorable light, but I'd just go for a fast traditional hard drive if you really need space and performance. Hybrid's just aren't ready yet.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Has anyone picked up Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter with a 2011 Air? I'm seeing some reports of the adapter not working with Lion, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up. I have a feeling that the third-party ThunderBolt to Ethernet adapter will be ridiculously expensive.

It works about as well as you'd expect a three-generation old hard drive with not enough flash memory that's only being used for read cache: not that well. Certain benchmarks show it in a favorable light, but I'd just go for a fast traditional hard drive if you really need space and performance. Hybrid's just aren't ready yet.

Thanks, that's two against and one marginal for. So is the WD scorpio black the notebook drive of choice right now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ndrake posted:

So is the WD scorpio black the notebook drive of choice right now?
Yup.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a Scorpio Blue 1TB that narrowly beats the blacks on transfer rates.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I think there's a Scorpio Blue 1TB that narrowly beats the blacks on transfer rates.
The 1TB Blue's platter density helps immensely in sequential performance, but there's also a high price premium on it and I haven't found an exhaustive review yet -- just HotHardware's quick benchmarks.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

The 1TB Blue's platter density helps immensely in sequential performance, but there's also a high price premium on it and I haven't found an exhaustive review yet -- just HotHardware's quick benchmarks.

Subjectively, it's a total dog.

e: There's a new 1TB Samsung 2.5"/9.5mm drive out for ~$90, but I haven't see any benchmarks yet.

vvv Because you're going to report the purchase and pay the sales tax anyway, right? :ssh:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 2, 2011

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Why would I order a Macbook that I'm not customizing from the Apple store and pay tax and get lovely shipping when I can buy it from Amazon for 5% less with 2 day shipping and no tax?

I guess the student discount would give me a $100 App Store card, but other than that I'm stumped as to why you would order a base model from the Apple store?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kaboobi posted:

Why would I order a Macbook that I'm not customizing from the Apple store and pay tax and get lovely shipping when I can buy it from Amazon for 5% less with 2 day shipping and no tax?

I guess the student discount would give me a $100 App Store card, but other than that I'm stumped as to why you would order a base model from the Apple store?

Well, you can buy refurbs from Apple, but other than that there's pretty much no reason to.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

ndrake posted:

I had a Momentus XT in my old Macbook for a few months. I did notice a few programs opening more quickly, but beyond that it really wasn't noticeable or worth the money in my experience. Especially in your case with dual-booting, I'd suspect you'd see negligible gains over a traditional HDD. Just go with the Scorpio Black and save some money.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

My 13" boots in about the same amount of time. More than half of it is spent at the stupid grey Mac screen.

Video!
Have you reset PRAM/SMC/other acronym since installing the SSD? I've heard it can shorten the time on that gray screen after a drive swap, supposedly it's looking for the old drive before proceeding to the new one...no clue if that's actually the case or not though :shobon:.

flyboi posted:

Thanks newegg

...did they screw up or did you just spend $1000+ on RAM? :psyduck:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i think he bought a shitload of ram on newegg, hence "thanks newegg"
why did you buy so much ram

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Swapping is for scrubs :smugdog:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Yup.

Finally bit the bullet and shelled out for one of these to replace my stock drive.

On that note, what is the deal with third-party drives and unibody MBPs? I've been reading tons of horror stories about conflicts with Apple's SMS, excessive head parking, SATA I/II linkspeed negotiation problems, having to revert EFI versions, and constant beach-balling. I'm hoping that I won't encounter any of that, but anyone here want to chime in?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

flyboi posted:

Thanks newegg

He bought the same $39.99 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz ram I did.

And for anyone wondering, those 1333Mhz chips work fine in my Late 2009 27" iMac i5 at 1067Mhz

I tried opening a bunch of raw files from Lightroom into Photoshop CS5. I finally ram out of ram, but it took a lot of images. It was a beautiful thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oneiros posted:

On that note, what is the deal with third-party drives and unibody MBPs? I've been reading tons of horror stories about conflicts with Apple's SMS, excessive head parking, SATA I/II linkspeed negotiation problems, having to revert EFI versions, and constant beach-balling. I'm hoping that I won't encounter any of that, but anyone here want to chime in?
You might want to disable Apple's SMS if the drive you purchased has one built in, beyond that I can't recall any issues with my Scorpio Blacks and unibody Macs that I had.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

He bought the same $39.99 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz ram I did.

And for anyone wondering, those 1333Mhz chips work fine in my Late 2009 27" iMac i5 at 1067Mhz

I tried opening a bunch of raw files from Lightroom into Photoshop CS5. I finally ram out of ram, but it took a lot of images. It was a beautiful thing.
Oh iMac :doh:. I was thinking of the dual 8GB set for that costs like $1400.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

Have you reset PRAM/SMC/other acronym since installing the SSD? I've heard it can shorten the time on that gray screen after a drive swap, supposedly it's looking for the old drive before proceeding to the new one...no clue if that's actually the case or not though :shobon:.

Instead of resetting the SMC, you just need to properly select the new SSD in the Startup Disk prefpane (assuming that it isn't explicitly selected and so was the cause of the delay.)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I have a new MBP, the hinge seems to "jam" and makes a really loud cracking/snapping noise when moved and the entire computer vibrates. It seems like the problem is preety common and some people suggested that they were replacing the hinge due to a major defect. Have any goons experienced this?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fleshweasel posted:

i think he bought a shitload of ram on newegg, hence "thanks newegg"

Virtual machines mostly this is how activity monitor looks at the moment and I have minimal apps that I need to function opened:

I need a Windows VM for office for my work email because we're in the process of migrating to Google Apps and their OSX support is complete trash. I have never been so appalled at how awful someone supports OSX as Google after my experience with our companies "enterprise" support. Outlook requires a shitton of ram to not suck poo poo, I usually have 3-4 linux virtual machines going at a time and I gotta work on top of that. On my MBP I gotta juggle virtual machines around or I run out of ram and that's never fun.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

flyboi posted:

Virtual machines mostly this is how activity monitor looks at the moment and I have minimal apps that I need to function opened:

I need a Windows VM for office for my work email because we're in the process of migrating to Google Apps and their OSX support is complete trash. I have never been so appalled at how awful someone supports OSX as Google after my experience with our companies "enterprise" support. Outlook requires a shitton of ram to not suck poo poo, I usually have 3-4 linux virtual machines going at a time and I gotta work on top of that. On my MBP I gotta juggle virtual machines around or I run out of ram and that's never fun.

Just use loving Sparrow. I use it with GApps, it works *perfectly*. :whoptc: is up with Mail/your browser that screws up GApps?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sinestro posted:

Just use loving Sparrow. I use it with GApps, it works *perfectly*. :whoptc: is up with Mail/your browser that screws up GApps?

I have ~10GB in email and there's a 2.5GB daily download limit. I need most all of the email for various reasons with my job. On top of that I need my contacts and calendar or I'm severely hosed. GApps doesn't work with the address book at all due to no CardDAV support. Their "fix" is to download it from your gmail web interace and import it. Basically I loving hate non-MAPI and I miss exchange and gently caress Google for only having a MAPI plugin for Windows. Somehow the windows client does magic voodoo to make my messages come in without freaking out.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Last time I ask this:

I'm trying to upgrade a late '06 Mac Pro from 2GB to 6GB of RAM, but it's only seeing 5GB. Please help!

The upper board has 2x2GB sticks on slots 1&2 and 2x512MB sticks on 3&4. Lower board has 2x512MB sticks in slots 1&2. RAM itself is all good, lower board does recognize RAM when tested, just not the last 1GB when in this configuration. Am I doing something wrong?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I'm actually seriously considering buying a macbook air. I am starting my masters in Europe and don't want to deal with shipping poo poo across seas just in case it breaks.

Bringing my windows desktop + a macbook air for everyday use sounds mighty appealing...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Megiddo posted:

Last time I ask this:

I'm trying to upgrade a late '06 Mac Pro from 2GB to 6GB of RAM, but it's only seeing 5GB. Please help!

The upper board has 2x2GB sticks on slots 1&2 and 2x512MB sticks on 3&4. Lower board has 2x512MB sticks in slots 1&2. RAM itself is all good, lower board does recognize RAM when tested, just not the last 1GB when in this configuration. Am I doing something wrong?

According to this: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Equipment_n_Tutorials/Memory_Configuration_2006.jpg you should be putting the 2GB in board A and the 4x512 in board B (look at 6C)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

For $300 (25% of a $1199 laptop!) I wouldn't bother. Unless you're going to use it to run Cinebench and Photoshop all day. Buy $300 worth of Apple stock and then just buy a new one in 3 years.
Ah, thanks for the input! I mean, I use software like ArcGIS, some hydrological modeling software, and even the occasional AutoCAD myself, but I also have a rather nice gaming PC that can do a lot of the heavy stuff when necessary, and the MBP 13" is mostly for on-the-go, quick work, so I've mostly been thinking the i5 should suffice.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

flyboi posted:

According to this: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Equipment_n_Tutorials/Memory_Configuration_2006.jpg you should be putting the 2GB in board A and the 4x512 in board B (look at 6C)
That didn't work, but I saw a red light on Riser B's 2nd slot and was able to figure out what was going on. The riser slot on the motherboard had a little bit of dust that had gotten lodged in it and apparently was blocking a few of the contacts. Once I fished that dust out and give it a little flush with 99.9% alcohol, it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I was looking to pick up an iMac refurb off of Apple's website. I know that if you buy a new Mac you get a rebate for a free printer, but since I don't see any option for that here I'm guessing the same offer isn't extended to refurbs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

I need a Windows VM for office for my work email because we're in the process of migrating to Google Apps and their OSX support is complete trash. I have never been so appalled at how awful someone supports OSX as Google after my experience with our companies "enterprise" support.

We use Google apps here and half our staff is on Macs :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
July 20th, I told myself that the 13" Air looked good, but that I should wait for the reviews (i.e. Anand's) before pulling the trigger, and hey, couldn't hurt to have another paycheque too.

On the 22nd, my fiancée wanted to go shopping in downtown Toronto. So with a dearth of other things to do at the Eaton Centre, I dropped by the Apple Store to get a hands-on preview.

Before leaving the store I was spellbound and my fiancée, seeing a good opportunity to make good on a late birthday present, bought me a Level 8 13" Air sleeve. All my previous caution slowly went out the window and I ordered a base 13" from my iPad that night (along with the $100 gift card under the education discount).

Last Thursday it was delivered and unboxed; arrived in perfect condition. It's been good times since with zero regrets. First Mac and best first impression of any computer purchase I've ever made. Many thanks to this thread for helping me wait for the right model and making the right decision.