Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't drink coffee and the pictures of the cups there just reinforced it.

Anyway, another discussion with my friend who works at the game store. Her new explanation is that she works every day because they have a game system there she doesn't have at home and she can play all the new games in between customers. Which I suppose is cool. But then she spent all this week, the boss out of town/taking a week off to see new movies, opening and closing every loving day because the store needs it. And the other employees come in for a few hours and then leave. Again, she isn't being paid for all the hours she works, but it's okay because she wants the store to succeed and she gets to play games all day.

Maybe I just need to accept the fact she enjoys working for no money, but for playing games all day and night, rather than be around enough to even talk with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe I just need to accept the fact she enjoys working for no money, but for playing games all day and night, rather than be around enough to even talk with me.

I can understand why you would have a hard time accepting this (I do too), but maybe for your own sanity that is the best option. I guess if she's happy being exploited like this then there's little point trying to persuade her otherwise now. Work is a transaction - your time/labour for money. As soon as you take money out of the equation it becomes completely one-sided in favour of the employer. I'll never get why people work for free.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it either. When I volunteered at the zoo it was at least to get experience with exotic animals.

But if you asked her, she'd tell you she wants the store and her friend to succeed. She wants him to make oodles of money. She loves being out of the house working for him, even if it is seven days a week, from open to close. She gets home about 1am or so, and is back to work by 9am. I even asked her last night why she won't take a day off, her last one being over two weeks ago, and her response was the usual: the boss/owner/friend needs some time off because he is so stressed about owning his own business, she wants the store to succeed, and she wants to play games all day.

And then once in a while I'll get an email from her about some rpg we have online and how she has so many ideas for it and it'll be so cool and....then nothing for another two weeks because she is so in love with whatever new video game just came out that she gets to play all day for free in between customers. And she doesn't get why I get pissed at her or don't want to chat for a few minutes a night before she 'omg so tired need to open tomorrow and all this week maybe see you in the morning unless im playing catherine again, lol.'

Testro
May 2, 2009
It's hard, but it's probably best for your sanity if you move on from the situation. She's making her own decisions, and enjoying her life...so if she's happy, then it's no-one else's business - even if you do think it's totally nuts.

I can understand why you're irritated but it seems that you're more invested the friendship than she is. If your mutual hobbies were her priority then she'd be spending time working on the RPG - as it is, her gaming hobby is taking centre stage.

That doesn't mean that she's in the wrong, and it doesn't mean that you can't be friends with her...but at the moment, it's clear that she's prioritising other things over your time together whereas you're holding that time in higher esteem. So that's leading to an imbalance, where she's (maybe without even realising) able to prioritise everything else over your friendship because you're always ready and waiting when she comes back.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face - if you want to hang out with her and you're happy to do so at short notice, that's cool...but in the meantime, go and find something else to do. You might find in the future that you're less interested in what she's doing (and whether or not she's being taken advantage of) because it's not impacting on your life in the same way.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

To be fair, Catherine is one awesome game.

Edit: I worked for free for a couple weeks once. It was two days a week, and I got free subs. Sadly the owner didn't make it and had to close the store :smith: Though I'd never work 7 days a week from past 1am and opening before 9am. Unless I was making more than $30/hour+overtime. My sanity is worth more than that.

The General fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 1, 2011

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Cowslips your friend is a stupid and you should start mocking her. Like, to her face. I don't think you're going to get through to her, so you might as well get some laughs out of it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

-Troika- posted:

Cowslips your friend is a stupid and you should start mocking her. Like, to her face. I don't think you're going to get through to her, so you might as well get some laughs out of it.

The goonyist say, right here.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
We have this lady that comes in and buys everything with coupons. She saves thousands of dollars. Then she comes back in the next day and returns everything. She ends up getting more back than she spent because she used coupons, since she uses manufacturer coupons. Since we can't give her back the actual coupon that she uses we have to give her the amount that the coupon took off of her purchase. We are reimbursed for the money, but it is the manufacturers that are losing. She spent around $2000 dollars with the coupons, and when she returns everything she gets $4000 back. This is just one example that happened this week. She's been doing this for MONTHS and has been living off of this scam. Other people have started to pick up on what she's doing and are doing it to a lesser extent. She is scamming the manufacturers and our managers tell us there is nothing we can do. I can't believe that they would allow this. She does this to ALL the stores around here, not just us. We hate working with her because she is extremely rude and thinks she is doing nothing wrong. I can't believe we can't just ban her from the store.

To top it off, she comes in 20 minutes before the store closes and checks out as soon as it closes. Her transactions take 45+ minutes. So our cashiers are sent home after about 10 minutes and the person who watches the front lanes has to stop counting the tills to go check her out.

Lemony Fresh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If I had no sense of shame whatsoever combined with the world's biggest entitlement complex, I'd probably do that too. That's amazing that you can get that much money out of coupon scamming. How is that not illegal?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

On the bright side, more and more stores are revising their coupon rules to avoid poo poo like that.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

If I had no sense of shame whatsoever combined with the world's biggest entitlement complex, I'd probably do that too. That's amazing that you can get that much money out of coupon scamming. How is that not illegal?

You're allowed coupons, you're allowed to return things. As companies revise their rules, this will be phased out.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

You're allowed coupons, you're allowed to return things. As companies revise their rules, this will be phased out.

Coupon savings limit per day per person (not per transaction): $20.
Ask customers that are actively costing you money to leave, call cops if they don't.

Problem fixed.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
I know at my store we can't give money back for coupons used in a refund, so customers get store credit for the coupon and money(credit/cash) for whatever they actually paid for. But that's brutal and I would absolutely meet her in the parking lot with a baseball bat. That's absurd that people have that kind of time to do that. I just laugh and shake my head when it's a beautiful day outside and people are pale and inside haggling for coupons. loving coupons.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

chazburgr posted:

That's absurd that people have that kind of time to do that.
You don't have several hours for several days to pocket $4000 in grey area money? You must be doing better than I am.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009

The General posted:

You don't have several hours for several days to pocket $4000 in grey area money? You must be doing better than I am.

Yes she doesn't work. This is how she makes her living. We aren't allowed to call the cops on her as she technically isn't doing anything wrong. Our managers are looking into it to determine if there is anything that we can do.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Lemony Fresh posted:

Yes she doesn't work. This is how she makes her living. We aren't allowed to call the cops on her as she technically isn't doing anything wrong. Our managers are looking into it to determine if there is anything that we can do.

Surely since the store is private property you can simply ban her? At the VERY least, I would mandate that she is not allowed to stay after-hours. At five minutes to close you should finish up the transaction and send her on her merry way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lemony Fresh posted:

We aren't allowed to call the cops on her as she technically isn't doing anything wrong.

Ask her to leave, if she doesn't that's called trespassing. The police love dragging self-righteous trespassers out of the store.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

modeski posted:

Surely since the store is private property you can simply ban her? At the VERY least, I would mandate that she is not allowed to stay after-hours. At five minutes to close you should finish up the transaction and send her on her merry way.

This - Lemony Fresh, you (and indeed your store) don't have to actually serve anyone if you don't want to. Your managers are actually trying to figure out a way to justify the inevitable complaint that will go to corporate.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

The General posted:

My company requires me to swipe an ID for each return over $5 store credit, or over $20 otherwise. Even if you have a receipt. Customers don't like it, but it's a way to prevent fraud. If that coupon lady tried that at my store, it would work X times in a Y amount of time, then the system would not allow her any more returns.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You'd think corporate would also want people costing them thousands upon thousands of dollars in loss to get the gently caress out of their stores, as well. No matter how much she threatens to complain, there's absolutely no way her word is worth the massive amounts of money she's costing them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

You'd think corporate would also want people costing them thousands upon thousands of dollars in loss to get the gently caress out of their stores, as well. No matter how much she threatens to complain, there's absolutely no way her word is worth the massive amounts of money she's costing them.

I agree, but it usually comes down to conflicting objectives. The customer service people in corporate are trying to get complaints resolved and they don't give a poo poo about bottom line unless it's on their targets list.

To give an example, I can remember a notorious abuser of GAME's old 10 day return policy attempting to bring back a copy of AvP2 in about 2003. Not only had they not got the reciept, but it was also in a big cardboard box, which we had stopped selling a fair while before this and moved to DVD cases only - as a result, this meant the game was still showing as £30 in the big box because the price had never been changed, just updated to the DVD box barcode. The tills, poo poo as they were, had a feature to let you see when the last copy of a particular barcode had been sold. This feature went back 13 weeks, and we hadn't sold one. I refused the return, customer went off in a huff, ten minutes later I get a call from head office instructing me to authorise an exchange. Customer then comes back in the store with a big smug grin on her face, knowing she's utterly gamed the system and exchanged a two year old game that was then retailing at about £10 for a brand new PC title.

This makes no sense. No-one wins here except the customer, who isn't REALLY a customer because they're not actually spending any money. Oh, and the customer service tosspiece who wins because she's targeted on percentage of complaints resolved and doesn't give a poo poo she's just hosed up my return rate or that, I have nowhere to put that big box any more because they've reconfigured all the shelving, and because it's still in the till at £30 I have to gently caress up my margin selling it at the £10 that the DVD box version is going for (or more likely less than that because no-one wants a big rear end cardboard box any more).

Man, this was like 7 years ago, you'd think I'd be over it.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Why are you returning the value of the coupons? At the store I work at and every other store I've ever worked or shopped at, you get back what you paid, and not the coupon. I.E. I buy a $20 item with a coupon for $5 off, if I return it, I get $15 back. The only exception is if I exchange it for the same thing.

Are you letting her do returns without a receipt for thousands of dollars? I've never heard of a store doing that. At best she should be able to exchange for the same thing (maybe a different size/color in the case of clothes and shoes and stuff).

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Yeah, this whole thing seems really hosed-up. What kind of massive oversight allows a return policy to give people the money back when they used a coupon? My store's receipts all have a "return value" printed underneath every item if it was bought at a discount, whether it was a coupon, sale, BOGO offer, or hand-keyed by the cashier. If someone wants to return merchandise without a receipt, strictly store credit only for the lowest value the item was sold at in the last month.

The fact that this lady gets thousands of dollars for nothing out of your company is loving ridiculous, and the fact that the managers allow this to happen more than once makes them the most brainless drones I've ever heard of.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I just looked at my schedule for next week and I have literally no hours at all. No days scheduled.
I also called the smoke shop today to make sure they knew I was still very very interested in the position and available as well, and she told me the owner was out of town. Which is all well and fine, but she just didn't seem too happy that I called.
Not sure what to do now, really.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

miscellaneous14 posted:

But like they said, these are manufacturer's coupons. So the store gets paid by the manufacturers and don't technically lose out. It is coupon fraud, but it's probably up to the coupon issuers to start trouble.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

silversiren posted:

I just looked at my schedule for next week and I have literally no hours at all. No days scheduled.
I also called the smoke shop today to make sure they knew I was still very very interested in the position and available as well, and she told me the owner was out of town. Which is all well and fine, but she just didn't seem too happy that I called.

Be patient.

It has been really good to read your posts in this thread and I was glad to hear about the smoke shop as you really deserved that. But if the owner's out of town...the owner's out of town. He/she sounds like the one with the power to hire.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

silversiren posted:

Drive to other nearby Publix stores and talk with management over there or at least call them to see if you can work hours there and also let them know in the future that you can be depended on to help out when someone calls out in those locations as well.

Lot of times I end up having to call other stores to see if anybody wants to work to help us out. Today we had to fill 32 hours for next week's schedule because we don't have the bodies from our store.

There's a few people out there who have 40 hours and still call around to pickup extra hours and succeeded many times.

-----Separate topic-----

I'm getting frustrated with our company continuing to short us on ad product every week. 3 ads in a row now where we ran out of product because our company didn't buy enough from the providers. Thankfully I haven't had too many angry customers.

ijii fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 3, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

ijii posted:

Drive to other nearby Publix stores and talk with management over there or at least call them to see if you can work hours there and also let them know in the future that you can be depended on to help out when someone calls out in those locations as well.

Lot of times I end up having to call other stores to see if anybody wants to work to help us out. Today we had to fill 32 hours for next week's schedule because we don't have the bodies from our store.

There's a few people out there who have 40 hours and still call around to pickup extra hours and succeeded many times.

-----Separate topic-----

I'm getting frustrated with our company continuing to short us on ad product every week. 3 ads in a row now where we ran out of product because our company didn't buy enough from the providers. Thankfully I haven't had too many angry customers.
I've done this too, so many times. The stores that are worth it, ie the ones that won't cost as much to drive there as i'd be making, aren't looking for anyone for .. well, anything.
School starts back later this month though so we'll be losing a lot of people to school. Maybe that'll be my chance.

floydie
May 4, 2011
Got screamed at by an old scottish guy the other day for not saying please after I told him how much he owed. I'm not going to say please, I'm not the one getting your loving money. :colbert:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I spent an hour being lectured by a Sovereign Citizen on how cell phone taxes are unconstitutional and how he has the right to request a full refund on every dollar of tax he's paid on his T-Mobile account for the past 8 years because his name on the bill (ROBERT P. JOHNSON) is the incorporated entity that the government created for him and he is, of course, a free man named Robert P. Johnson and is under the direct control of no government or God and T-Mobile is merely a pawn in the grand scheme of the government to scam $1.41 per customer per month to fund secret missions to undermine the legitimacy of the Sovereign Citizen movement and :psyduck:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Not to be rude, but it's not your money. Why does it infuriate you guys so much that people get money out of these perfectly legal things that your company is clearly okay with?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Wootcannon posted:

Not to be rude, but it's not your money. Why does it infuriate you guys so much that people get money out of these perfectly legal things that your company is clearly okay with?

Because they're making obscene amounts of money for harassing store employees in the interest of funding an obvious scam. They may as well just be walking into the store, taking the money out of the register, and flipping you the bird on the way out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I would be cool with it but people who pull that poo poo are invariably complete and utter shitheads whose only redeeming value is that eventually their lives will end.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

LonsomeSon posted:

I would be cool with it but people who pull that poo poo are invariably complete and utter shitheads whose only redeeming value is that eventually their lives will end.

This pretty much describes 90% of all customers ever.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009

evelynevvie posted:

Why are you returning the value of the coupons? At the store I work at and every other store I've ever worked or shopped at, you get back what you paid, and not the coupon. I.E. I buy a $20 item with a coupon for $5 off, if I return it, I get $15 back. The only exception is if I exchange it for the same thing.

Are you letting her do returns without a receipt for thousands of dollars? I've never heard of a store doing that. At best she should be able to exchange for the same thing (maybe a different size/color in the case of clothes and shoes and stuff).

There is a huge loophole with manufacturer's coupons. She is doing this not only at my store, but Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and various local grocery stores. She is basically turning her coupons into cash. If we didn't give her the cash back from the coupons we would be making money off of her returns, which I believe is illegal. It's either save all her coupons in a stack (which I think they should do) and return her coupons to her or give her the money back. She does use her receipt to make returns. Her returns take hours because she goes over every detail to make sure she gets all of her money back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lemony Fresh posted:

There is a huge loophole with manufacturer's coupons. She is doing this not only at my store, but Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and various local grocery stores. She is basically turning her coupons into cash. If we didn't give her the cash back from the coupons we would be making money off of her returns, which I believe is illegal. It's either save all her coupons in a stack (which I think they should do) and return her coupons to her or give her the money back. She does use her receipt to make returns. Her returns take hours because she goes over every detail to make sure she gets all of her money back.

Your store isn't making money on the coupons, it's a net zero. If your store discounted a product $5 and then the manufacturer reimburses the store $5 they didn't make a profit, they recovered a loss.

This is truly the oddest story I've ever heard as a former returns associate and a manager. :psyduck:

Also, the just because there's a loophole doesn't mean you have to honor it. I used to get crafty customers who think they pulled one over on me and I'd just go tell them to pound sand because it's obvious how the promotion or discount is supposed to work.

Your manager is unfortunately a spineless manager who doesn't want to tell a customer no and is ok with losing thousands of dollars to this woman.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 3, 2011

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
it's not a net zero transaction at all though once you factor in labor costs. Think of how much it costs to not only pay the extra time for the cashier, but all the people who have to restock her returns. Not only that, but depending on how long she waits, it could also waste backroom payroll as they are having to pull extras of the things she bought to restock the shelves, and then backstock them once she returns the stuff.

edit: Plus if any of the stuff is refrigerated it has to be presumed bad and thrown away, so more loss there.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Don't most coupons still have (buried in the .1-point font weaseltext) the "cash value of this coupon is 1/20th of $0.01"? I know I used to see that when I was bored and reading the back of the cereal box in the morning, but I'm aged and decrepit and these new-fangled things are confusing. <shakes cane>

Of course, I'm an rear end in a top hat, and would love to hand her back 3 cents (rounding up, so she makes a profit!) for her wad of coupons on the next return-cycle, and then (even if she doesn't throw a complete fit at that) tell her that her behaviour is not wecome at <store>, and she needs to take her "business" elsewhere.

Attilla the Manager :black101: would probably have a lot of applicants from this thread.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wootcannon posted:

In my head the logic was along the lines of "if people keep loving this company over they will run out of money to pay me". Also, because I felt like other customers who actually stuck to the intent of rules rather than the letter were basically getting shafted by wankers gaming the system and meaning that prices went up overall to cover their nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

evelynevvie posted:

Ya at my store the customer only gets back what they paid, not the value of the coupon. Also if they return something without a receipt they get the lowest price the item was sold for in the past 6 weeks at any store to avoid people scamming the system.

People get pretty pissed off when they try to return a $200 item without a receipt and get $50 back.

Someone returned a $300 Xbox 360 for $100 because they didn't have a receipt. It made absolutely no sense to me, they could have sold it on ebay or something for $300.