Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Shed posted:

Sister ;) But yes! Are you in Dedicated Care?

PCM, I fix your mess :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe
I upgraded from the Hero to the 3D today and holy crap am I satisfied. It's an amazing phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd expect it to be roughly contemporary to the Evo 3D, Photon, SGSII, power wise. So 1.0-1.2 GHz dual-core with 1 GB RAM. Actually, if Samsung OEMs it, it's probably going to be SGSII hardware.

But like the Nexus S, the real value of it would be that it's designed for Google's intentions with ICS, i.e., no hardware buttons, curved display, NFC, 4.3 SAMOLED+, etc., that kind of stuff.

I am also thinking it will be the SGSII hardware with a pure Google experience. Sounds like the perfect phone for me.

Just curious when was the Nexus S originally released (not the Sprint version)? What kind of time frame are we looking at for the Nexus ICS release? Fall?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
The T-Mobile version was released last December.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Personally, I think phones are starting to plateau with dual core (arguable even with single core), so I just can't imagine any Nexus phone being crazy over the top. However, I would love for Google to surprise me and make me completely wrong on that. Anyone agree or disagree?

Android needs GPU acceleration right now more than anything else. The Sensation I use is less smooth than my iPad 1, despite the Sensation having better internals and driving only 65% of the pixels of the iPad.

The Nexus One was a huge phone in that it was the first Android device with a 1 GHz processor, and it represented a good step forward for Android. The Nexus S on the other hand was an incremental update, to reflect the slight update it came with (2.3.) I'd expect the ICS Nexus to be more like the Nexus One since ICS is supposed to a "big step forward."

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

At every point of technological advancement you've had people saying "we're hitting a plateau, things aren't going to get much better than this."

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
So do we root our Evo3d now that it is an option or wait for HTC to unlock it?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Wasn't it released that they are working on a quad-core chip that should be out in 2013?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The T-Mobile version was released last December.

I can live with Sprint getting the next Nexus by Christmas (good present). I just wished we knew for sure Sprint was getting it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Got an upgrade ready to go and I'm trying to decide between the 3D and the Photon...

How does the GSM stuff work on the Photon? Can I just slip any SIM card in there?

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does the photon even have a sim card slot? I don't think any of the normal sprint phones do but I could be wrong.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I am starting a new job later this month. Sometime in the near future, they will be sending me for a training course in Canada for 3 weeks.

Do I have any options to help me avoid racking up ridiculous amounts of international roaming fees, short of simply not using my phone at all (or only using it on wifi, but not making or receiving calls)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Got an upgrade ready to go and I'm trying to decide between the 3D and the Photon...

How does the GSM stuff work on the Photon? Can I just slip any SIM card in there?

Traditionally Sprint has released its world phones unlocked, not completely sure with the Photon. If you have a Sprint account and call international, they will get you the unlock code either way.

Edit: Btw, any old school Nextel/PTT users here? The first potential CDMA PTT Android phone may be a Godsend:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/01/motorola-pax-sprint-beefed-up-xprt-dual-core/

Sprint really needs that asap, pretty much every Nextel user would pick that up immediately.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 2, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

fuzzi posted:

So do we root our Evo3d now that it is an option or wait for HTC to unlock it?

If you're concerned about bugs in the rooting process, wait it out a week or two more. So far I haven't noticed anything outside having to call Sprint once, but you never know.

HTC's unlocked bootloader solution, whenever it comes out, may purposefully flag something in the eMMC chip that says you've voided your warranty (since you technically have by flashing unapproved ROMs and such). That's not to say they'll definitely do something like that, but I wouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, the revolutionary.io hack will allow you to flash back to S-ON/stock ROM at will and avoid any warranty problems.

So yeah, if you're super concerned I'd suggest waiting for HTC's unlocker and see exactly what it does.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

diospadre posted:

At every point of technological advancement you've had people saying "we're hitting a plateau, things aren't going to get much better than this."
That's true on the level of an individual's subjective opinion with regard to device functionality.

For example, laptop functionality plateaued for me with Pentium M/Centrino devices in 2003. There's nothing I do today on a laptop that my 1.3 GHz Pentium M with 802.11b isn't perfectly sufficient for, aside from a preference of a bit more storage space. I'd still use that machine if the battery hadn't died years ago and the case wasn't a superglued mess. As it is, I'm switching between a stock of used T61s every time the last one dies as, despite being three year old machines, there's nothing that newer models offer me.

I think basically the same thing happened for me with last generation's phones. They're perfectly sufficient for everything I want to do (ssh, calendar, maps, light web browsing), and the only two compelling reasons for an upgrade I see are: my phone falls apart, or support gets dropped for it after ICS and apps start depending on it. Although given the phone subsidy game, I'd probably keep upgrading as long as devices don't represent a step backwards in functionality.

Cell phones were functionally perfect for my parents years ago, perhaps they're not quite there yet for other folks.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Traditionally Sprint has released its world phones unlocked, not completely sure with the Photon. If you have a Sprint account and call international, they will get you the unlock code either way.

Edit: Btw, any old school Nextel/PTT users here? The first potential CDMA PTT Android phone may be a Godsend:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/01/motorola-pax-sprint-beefed-up-xprt-dual-core/

Sprint really needs that asap, pretty much every Nextel user would pick that up immediately.

I think Direct Connect is slated for Q4 release, so hopefully that will stem the Nextel losses. But that's not technically the first announced CDMA PTT phone - the Kyocera DuraCore and DuraMax (:laffo:) were announced too.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm upgrading from a Hero to a 3D, and am currently on the $60 EPRP 500 plan. I went to Best Buy and was told I would need to upgrade to the $80 plan with premium data. I left and went on Sprint's site which is telling me the same thing. Do I actually need to upgrade my plan? I thought all Sprint plans had the $10 charge for data rolled in years ago.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

diospadre posted:

Do I actually need to upgrade my plan?
An additional $10/mo Premium Data is required now for any smartphone (Replenish aside) on any non-SERO plan, including EPRP. So you'll have to pay $70/mo to change away from your Hero.

The $80/mo figure Best Buy is quoting is to change to a regular plan, not EPRP. In general, EPRP device upgrades on Amazon, Best Buy, RadioShack, etc., are hit-or-miss, and there's a good chance they'll fuckup your savings.

You should be able to upgrade at a corporate (not affiliate) Sprint store, but it's probably easier to just order online and have it overnighted.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

diospadre posted:

I'm upgrading from a Hero to a 3D, and am currently on the $60 EPRP 500 plan. I went to Best Buy and was told I would need to upgrade to the $80 plan with premium data. I left and went on Sprint's site which is telling me the same thing. Do I actually need to upgrade my plan? I thought all Sprint plans had the $10 charge for data rolled in years ago.

You have to upgrade through Sprint. Best Buy, Radioshack, etc. can't touch your line.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd expect it to be roughly contemporary to the Evo 3D, Photon, SGSII, power wise. So 1.0-1.2 GHz dual-core with 1 GB RAM. Actually, if Samsung OEMs it, it's probably going to be SGSII hardware.
Everything I've read (eg) points to it being a sizable step quicker than current hardware. Sure, nothing's official yet, but at minimum, everyone agrees that samsung's entry is something new, not just an sgsII.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Thanks. I was on SERO before I switched to the Hero, is it still possible to switch SERO premium? What's the best way of doing that if it is?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Welp, the Echo Gingerbread update has been pulled

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

Welp, the Echo Gingerbread update has been pulled

I bet the two people who downloaded had their batteries die before it could finish installing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

diospadre posted:

Thanks. I was on SERO before I switched to the Hero, is it still possible to switch SERO premium? What's the best way of doing that if it is?

There's a number in the OP for employee/special line care, you can always call and ask. They definitely let people switch back at first, at this point it has been a while so who knows.

Good news is the 3D is around $200 be it Sprint, best buy, etc, so you won't be punished per say by having to go through Sprint.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The photon is pretty neat.
I don't have any real experience with Android, but I haven't encountered anything annoying or not working so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
New Sprint phone cases available for preorder:

Blackberry 9350
LG 700
Samsung epic touch 710
Kyocera milano

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I deal with tons of nextel users every day. A DCS or some PTT cdma smart phone has created such a void it rips children from their mothers arms.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Actually, one thing I don't like at this point, and leading into this question: The USB port to charge the drat phone is at the bottom of the device when the kickstand is out. So you can't charge the device with a regular cable in kickstand mode.

I don't give a poo poo about the super duper $100 multimedia dock that is currently the only listed dock for the Photon - will the $9 dock on amazon let me charge the phone and have the phone realize it's in landscape mode? http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Multimedia-Docking-Desktop-Station/dp/B003UNE942/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312325682&sr=8-2

If the $9 dock will work, I'll buy a couple of them, one for work, one for home, etc.

Edit:
Looks like the USB connector is in the right place... For $9 I'll give it a shot, hopefully it'll work OK.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 3, 2011

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

PTrexitus posted:

PCM, I fix your mess :)

My messes aren't THAT bad... :-) Do you have PMs?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Actually, one thing I don't like at this point, and leading into this question: The USB port to charge the drat phone is at the bottom of the device when the kickstand is out. So you can't charge the device with a regular cable in kickstand mode.

I don't give a poo poo about the super duper $100 multimedia dock that is currently the only listed dock for the Photon - will the $9 dock on amazon let me charge the phone and have the phone realize it's in landscape mode? http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Multimedia-Docking-Desktop-Station/dp/B003UNE942/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312325682&sr=8-2

If the $9 dock will work, I'll buy a couple of them, one for work, one for home, etc.

Edit:
Looks like the USB connector is in the right place... For $9 I'll give it a shot, hopefully it'll work OK.

This was just covered on the last page, but you can flip the phone over and the charging port will be on top. The kickstand is sturdy enough to hold.

http://m.androidcentral.com/want-charge-your-photon-4g-and-use-kickstand-just-flip-it-over

I've had my Evo 4G since the day it launched, and I've maybe used the kickstand a dozen times.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

brc64 posted:

This was just covered on the last page, but you can flip the phone over and the charging port will be on top. The kickstand is sturdy enough to hold.

http://m.androidcentral.com/want-charge-your-photon-4g-and-use-kickstand-just-flip-it-over

I've had my Evo 4G since the day it launched, and I've maybe used the kickstand a dozen times.

:downs: Oh hell.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The clockwork mod works now for the evo.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I used the kickstand on my EVO 4G all the time. I really miss it on the EVO 3D. Hopefully someone will make a dirt cheap charging dock for it.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
I picked up this dock today on sale and it's pretty sweet

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I'm thinking about maybe getting this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-USB-Sync-Cradle-Dock-Desk-Charger-HTC-EVO-3D-New-/270789615987?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f0c51a173#ht_2744wt_922

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I used the kickstand on my EVO 4G all the time. I really miss it on the EVO 3D. Hopefully someone will make a dirt cheap charging dock for it.

I use the kickstand everyday at work.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I couldn't wait for a super cheap one but this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310310197158&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

works great for me. It also folds up.

I'd kill if someone made a touchstone backplate for the evo 3d. Like I saw the DIY yourself one, but man if someone made a professional one...

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

It sucks, don't buy it.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Shed posted:

My messes aren't THAT bad... :-) Do you have PMs?

"My rep just sold me 9 phones, I got all the guys in the office and we would like to activate them."

Me: "Did you talk about a new plan with your rep?"

"My rep said I wouldn't have to change my plan."

Sad days, yes I have PMs(ha)

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

PTrexitus posted:

"My rep just sold me 9 phones, I got all the guys in the office and we would like to activate them."

Me: "Did you talk about a new plan with your rep?"

"My rep said I wouldn't have to change my plan."

Sad days, yes I have PMs(ha)

Hey now, I'm not sales!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Shed posted:

Hey now, I'm not sales!

Change sold to told and add in "give me credit for" ;)