Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

PTrexitus posted:

Change sold to told and add in "give me credit for" ;)

Pfft, if I tell them I am giving them credit, I give them the credit (with sup's permission)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shed posted:

Hey now, I'm not sales!

Don't drag sales people into this (although that is most likely what happened).

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If you got the 3D it may be new enough that you get lucky and get a new unit. However, Sprint has a pretty good track record on refurbs in my experience, so I wouldn't fret necessarily either way.

I'm guessing when I press ##786# or whatever that combo is for the phone stats, under Reconditioned Status:
No

means that the phone is new, right?

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

diospadre posted:

I'm upgrading from a Hero to a 3D, and am currently on the $60 EPRP 500 plan. I went to Best Buy and was told I would need to upgrade to the $80 plan with premium data. I left and went on Sprint's site which is telling me the same thing. Do I actually need to upgrade my plan? I thought all Sprint plans had the $10 charge for data rolled in years ago.

It was a hassle when I upgraded in a Sprint store to my evo 3d. The guy assured me that I needed to go to a $69.99 per month contract plus the $10 premium data fee. I held my ground on my $59.99 eprp plan and it magically showed up as an option in his system on the next step.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

So what's the new rumored release date for the sgs2?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

So what's the new rumored release date for the sgs2?
On Sprint? "Delayed."

The Conquer 4G, which has more in common with SGSI lineage is rumored to hit August 21st and the M930 (Transform successor?) October 2nd. But no word on the Epic or the (SGS2) Within.

"August" was recently thrown around as the general time the SGSII would debut here. I imagine it would be a GSM/UMTS model first though.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Free Nexus S through Best Buy for today (8/3) only.

Also read today that the Within is going to be called the Epic Touch 4G.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

slaphappynickname posted:

Just FYI, my Evo 3D battery has been lasting longer than even my fuckall massive extended batteries I was using in my Evo 4G. My wife had bought me the 3D while I was on vacation, and I really expected it to be gimmicky and no better than the 4G, but it's amazing. The 3D camera is fun for loving around and people get a kick out of it when I show them.

I'd recommend the 3D to anybody on Sprint or considering the move.
Yeah, I got the EVO 3d myself and its a pretty awesome phone. The 3d is actually quite good but suffers from the weaknesses of the technology (got to hold it just right or you see two images). But it does seem to deal with that weakness pretty well by making the sweet spot rather large.

Other than that, the phone is a powerhouse of a phone and the battery life is pretty good (if you turn off 4g).

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

Don't drag sales people into this (although that is most likely what happened).

I love my sales people. I only have a couple that are like the example. There are care people that completely mess things up too, usually when it comes to billing at least.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Tunafish posted:

It was a hassle when I upgraded in a Sprint store to my evo 3d. The guy assured me that I needed to go to a $69.99 per month contract plus the $10 premium data fee. I held my ground on my $59.99 eprp plan and it magically showed up as an option in his system on the next step.

Cool. We'll see how it goes when I get the phone and try activating it tomorrow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On Sprint? "Delayed."

The Conquer 4G, which has more in common with SGSI lineage is rumored to hit August 21st and the M930 (Transform successor?) October 2nd. But no word on the Epic or the (SGS2) Within.

"August" was recently thrown around as the general time the SGSII would debut here. I imagine it would be a GSM/UMTS model first though.

Samsung Epic Touch launching September 2011. Subject to change at this point, but just about when the last Epic launched.

Blackberry Style is officially discontinued and unavailable for me to order anymore. Not gonna miss it that much.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

brc64 posted:

I am starting a new job later this month. Sometime in the near future, they will be sending me for a training course in Canada for 3 weeks.

Do I have any options to help me avoid racking up ridiculous amounts of international roaming fees, short of simply not using my phone at all (or only using it on wifi, but not making or receiving calls)?

Quoting this from the previous page. I see there's a $2.99/mo "Canada roaming" option that gives me a 20 cents/min rate from Canada. I guess that's better than whatever the normal rate is? It doesn't say. And is there no data roaming option?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Quoting this from the previous page. I see there's a $2.99/mo "Canada roaming" option that gives me a 20 cents/min rate from Canada. I guess that's better than whatever the normal rate is? It doesn't say. And is there no data roaming option?

What phone do you have? If it's not a world phone, I recommend getting a cheap unlocked GSM phone from Craigslist and get a prepaid Canadian SIM. It'll be much much cheaper than roaming with Sprint, even if you get the Canada roaming option.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

What phone do you have? If it's not a world phone, I recommend getting a cheap unlocked GSM phone from Craigslist and get a prepaid Canadian SIM. It'll be much much cheaper than roaming with Sprint, even if you get the Canada roaming option.

It's an EVO 4G. And yeah, I was considering a prepay phone as an alternative option. Does Sprint charge extra to receive calls from Canada? If I get a prepay phone and call my wife, will she still get hit with international fees, or does that only apply to calls made to Canada?

And what about text messages?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

It's an EVO 4G. And yeah, I was considering a prepay phone as an alternative option. Does Sprint charge extra to receive calls from Canada? If I get a prepay phone and call my wife, will she still get hit with international fees, or does that only apply to calls made to Canada?

I've traveled to Canada many times over the last seven years. Texts will work and don't cost extra. You will pay for international roaming for incoming calls, as well as international roaming AND international long distance for outgoing calls. The rates may have changed, but they used to be something like 50 cents for roaming and 65 cents for long distance, or vice versa. For a trip like you're talking about you definitely want to get a cheap phone and prepaid SIM. You can use the EVO for texting and data on WiFi, and the GSM phone for voice calls. It'll save you a lot of money over roaming with your EVO.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I've traveled to Canada many times over the last seven years. Texts will work and don't cost extra. You will pay for international roaming for incoming calls, as well as international roaming AND international long distance for outgoing calls. The rates may have changed, but they used to be something like 50 cents for roaming and 65 cents for long distance, or vice versa. For a trip like you're talking about you definitely want to get a cheap phone and prepaid SIM. You can use the EVO for texting and data on WiFi, and the GSM phone for voice calls. It'll save you a lot of money over roaming with your EVO.

Just to clarify, are you charged international rates to receive a call from Canada, if you are in the states?

I'm in Canada with a GSM phone and I call my wife in Texas with her Sprint phone. Does that just go against her usual bucket of minutes, or does she get charged extra for receiving a call from Canada?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Does Sprint charge extra to receive calls from Canada?
I'm not aware of any North American telephone provider that charges additional (aside from regular minutes) to receive calls from any locale, that's not how we do things here.

I think this thread covers most of it, and it seems to mesh with my brief travel experience.

Basically, there's two fees: roaming and long distance, but the way it works out is that only one of the fees applies at a time, to one of the parties, in most circumstances.

So, you pay roaming fees whenever making or receiving a call on a Sprint phone while in Canada. You pay long distance fees while calling a Canadian number from a Sprint phone, except if you're already roaming in Canada. If someone in the US calls your Sprint phone, while you're roaming in Canada, you pay the roaming fee but it does not incur them any fee. I'm not sure what happens if someone on a Canadian provider calls you though, I'm guessing they pay a long distance fee and you pay roaming.

brc64 posted:

They're no additional cost (free) to/from US phones while roaming in Canada. The above link suggests its 20¢ to send/receive texts to a Canadian number regardless of wherever you are.

As already noted, the Canadian roaming plan is $2.99/mo for a voice minute rate reduction from 59¢ to 20¢, so it pays for itself if you use more than 8 voice minutes a month. Frankly, it's worth hedging your bets with even if you go with a prepaid plan-A option for voice.

Edit: I personally can't confirm that you don't pay both roaming and long distance while calling a Canadian number while in Canada. The above link contractdicts letsgoflyers81's experience, and I think I only received calls from Canadian numbers. But it's irrelevant if you go prepaid for domestic calling.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 3, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm attempting to watch some 3D videos on Youtube (or at least those with the little "3D" icon next to them on the video) and I think something must be wrong with the way it's being rendered on my Evo 3D. The picture quality is sharp and clear for most of them, but it's definitely not 3D, or if it is, not nearly the same effect as the 3D videos I've recorded myself using my phone.

Is there a toggle I need to hit to turn on the 3D display? Why would 3D-labeled content...not render in 3D?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Samsung Epic Touch launching September 2011. Subject to change at this point, but just about when the last Epic launched.

They are calling it the Epic Touch because it doesn't have a slider keyboard correct? Because if they put a slider of that phone....

Also another example of stupid naming.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm attempting to watch some 3D videos on Youtube (or at least those with the little "3D" icon next to them on the video) and I think something must be wrong with the way it's being rendered on my Evo 3D. The picture quality is sharp and clear for most of them, but it's definitely not 3D, or if it is, not nearly the same effect as the 3D videos I've recorded myself using my phone.

Is there a toggle I need to hit to turn on the 3D display? Why would 3D-labeled content...not render in 3D?

Some of the user-uploaded 3D videos are terrible. Try searching for GoPro 3D

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Just to clarify, are you charged international rates to receive a call from Canada, if you are in the states?

I'm in Canada with a GSM phone and I call my wife in Texas with her Sprint phone. Does that just go against her usual bucket of minutes, or does she get charged extra for receiving a call from Canada?

You only pay when you're in Canada. If you call your wife from a GSM phone in Canada and she's in Texas she'll just have a regular incoming call. However you'll be paying extra for any calls made or received to your phone while you're there. How much your calls cost per minute has to do with whether you make or receive them, and where you call.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I just got back from a trip to Canada a couple weeks ago with my Sprint HTC Hero. Just to throw some numbers up here. I have the EPRP Everything 500 packge

International Sprint Data Roaming: 38,869 = $77.74 (so around $2/MB)
Sprint 3G Data Roaming 45,622 = $0
International Roaming 44 = $25.96 (59 cents a minute)

There were no international call charges for calling America (to an AT&T subscriber) for me or the receiving party. There were only 4 calls though, total of 27 minutes. I was billed international roaming for both incoming and outgoing calls.

So yeah, get a burner and stay off data. Also make sure you have a proper visa if you're there for work or else you'll have a very unfun experience like I did.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
^^ - I'm going to Canada tomorrow, so essentially I should keep my phone on airplane mode unless I'm connected to WiFi?

Alman posted:

Some of the user-uploaded 3D videos are terrible. Try searching for GoPro 3D

Yep, that's actually the video I watched, but there's...no 3D effect? :confused: It's a high quality video and very sharp, but I don't get the same image "pop" as I do when I snap a 3D photo or record a 3D video, if that makes sense.

edit: Never mind, weird. I tasked out of youtube, came back, and now they are rendering properly in 3D.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 3, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

^^ - I'm going to Canada tomorrow, so essentially I should keep my phone on airplane mode unless I'm connected to WiFi?

Yep, that's actually the video I watched, but there's...no 3D effect? :confused: It's a high quality video and very sharp, but I don't get the same image "pop" as I do when I snap a 3D photo or record a 3D video, if that makes sense.

I turned on all the roam guards and data and I was fine. This way the phone rings so you can take a call if need be and texting is free. Just make sure you don't allow data roaming or you'll get raped.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Gotta admit, I did not see this one coming..

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/03/clearwire-adding-lte-advanced-ready-technology-to-its-holdings/

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/10/20/clearwire-lte-testing-sees-90mbps-downloads/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Gotta admit, I did not see this one coming..
Paraphrased: "Clearwire makes grandiose claims, seeks cash to actually implement them."

Didn't we all see that coming?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Does anyone have google voice set up for their work and personal phone? I'm a little confused on how I would go about doing this without carrying around two phones, yet keeping them sort of separated as far as text messages and the caller ID number when I dial out. Is that possible?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

poxin posted:

Does anyone have google voice set up for their work and personal phone? I'm a little confused on how I would go about doing this without carrying around two phones, yet keeping them sort of separated as far as text messages and the caller ID number when I dial out. Is that possible?

Short answer: it's possible, with a couple a caveats, but otherwise works well. I'll type a more thorough reply when I'm not typing on my phone, if somebody doesn't beat me to it before I get home.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poxin posted:

I've run into this a little bit as there are limits on caller ID.

We'll use me as an example: I have a 484 PA number that is my Sprint number, and a 615 TN number that is my GVoice number.

Text messaging:
-484 goes to messaging app. Outgoing uses the messaging app - this does suck if you want to use GVoice features like online texting, far as I know you basically can't
-615 goes to GVoice app. Outgoing uses the GVoice app.
I have forward text messages and voicemails to text turned off in GVoice settings.

Calling out: I currently only use GVoice, so i have it set to call using my GVoice number. You can set it to ask each time, so that would work fine.

Receiving Calls: This is where I run into a big limitation: you have 2 settings:
-Display caller's number
-Display my Google Voice number

Neither is perfect for me. Currently I use my GVoice for work and personal, and I have it set to display caller's number. Otherwise I would basically kill my caller ID. You could use your Sprint # for personal and GVoice for work and go with display google voice number, but unfortunately that still kills caller ID for work.

I've mentioned recently I have been debating getting a 2nd phone, and this issue is one of the main reasons why. It is starting to drive me absolutely nuts. I'm waiting to see where I next end up work wise, but am very close to just saying "gently caress it" and getting a 2nd phone.

Edit: beaten, looks like I am offering a long answer

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Oh no don't go airplane mode, I blew through almost 40MB of data in the first day then realized "Oh shi, I am probably paying out the rear end for this". I just turned off background syncing and went pulled when I needed to. I was there for 3 days after that on business and used about 8MB on work email, a little news site browsing, and google maps while wandering around Ottawa. Still, keep an eye on it because $2 a meg is pretty steep considering this web page alone would cost you a dollar to load.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
I don't understand how you blew through 40MB of data in airplane mode?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Luminous posted:

I don't understand how you blew through 40MB of data in airplane mode?
He didn't. He's saying Airplane Mode is unnecessary, which it is.

If you don't want data charges the data roam guard should be sufficient. You can also switch off "Data network mode" or whatever, but you can still get calls and texts.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Unlocked my 3d and it went to the white HTC screen before slowly remounting the sd card(?). Also how can I disable voice calling/search, it's driving me nuts how it keeps popping up when I hold the phone in landscape.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also I'm really stupid, I couldn't figure out why all my pictures were coming out blurry, until I realized that it was because of the physical camera button. Pressing down on it made me shake the phone, and when I tried with the onscreen button they came out much clearer. Durrr. I know how much you guys love the 2-click button but I can't be the only one having this problem.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

dphi posted:

Free Nexus S through Best Buy for today (8/3) only.

Also read today that the Within is going to be called the Epic Touch 4G.

I'm current still on the $30 sero plan. I currently have an htc vogue with android on it which is great, but my screen is pretty much shot.

Can I do this upgrade through best buy, or will my plan be really hosed up? I Just don't want to miss out on the savings and it's really the only thing holding me back at this point.

Also, if I can get this, do I also get the 2 year contract renewal credit for $150?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Is it possible to upgrade your phone online while you're on the EPRP plan and not lose the EPRP plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

I'm current still on the $30 sero plan. I currently have an htc vogue with android on it which is great, but my screen is pretty much shot.

Can I do this upgrade through best buy, or will my plan be really hosed up? I Just don't want to miss out on the savings and it's really the only thing holding me back at this point.

Also, if I can get this, do I also get the 2 year contract renewal credit for $150?

Best Buy cannot touch sero nor do they have an incentive to keep you on sero (they don't get credit even if they sell you the phone). My opinon is still don't risk losing your plan just for a one time $100.

that one guy posted:

Is it possible to upgrade your phone online while you're on the EPRP plan and not lose the EPRP plan?

Absolutely, that is actually the easiest and safest way to upgrade.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Absolutely, that is actually the easiest and safest way to upgrade.
So I'm currently on the EPRP 500 minute data plan and have a Palm Pre. If I were to go through the website and do the upgrade thing to get an Evo 4G or Nexus S, I would be able to keep my plan and activate the new phone without incident when it arrives? I'd just be signing on for another 2 years of the EPRP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yep, in fact I just did this a couple weeks ago. Upgraded from a Pre to an EVO 3D, all the plan options were at EPRP prices. In case you want to switch to a Family Plan or something.

edit: just keep in mind that your monthly bill will go up $10 because of the smartphone fee.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 4, 2011