Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Wildtortilla posted:

I started Blood Meridian just today, and holy poo poo it's amazing.

Now for my question! I finished reading Oryx and Crake (by Margaret Atwood) last night and I loved it; are the remaining two books in the MaddAddam trilogy worth reading?

Only if you don't call them science-fiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Was wondering if any of the history buffs here could reccomend a book about the New World and the transition from England to USA, along with life in the first years after coming over. Mostly focusing on the Mayflower expedition and Plymouth. I'm looking for something that tells it like it was and doesn't romanticize it. Thanks!

e; I'd read a fiction recounting also.

Methodis fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 2, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Methodis posted:

Was wondering if any of the history buffs here could reccomend a book about the New World and the transition from England to USA, along with life in the first years after coming over. Mostly focusing on the Mayflower expedition and Plymouth. I'm looking for something that tells it like it was and doesn't romanticize it. Thanks!
I haven't started it yet, so I can't confirm it's what you want, but American Colonies seems like it offers good coverage. I wanted a book on the same subject so I got it. It's sitting on my "to read" table right now!

I actually have a stack of history books that's almost as tall as I am that I need to work my way through. Educating yourself can be a very time-consuming process! If only I had taken an interest in history when I was in school and reading 500 pages a day :(

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'll check out that book thanks. I was looking at some Mayflower book (titled that) and it seemed okay, but it supposedly took a turn to focus onto the War 50 years after they settled. I picked up Peoples History of United States in the meantime and will check this book out.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

PureRok posted:

Does anyone know any good books about Abrahamic angels and demons? Basically books talking about/listing them all and going into detail about them. I find that stuff really interesting and I would love to have a collection of books on the subject.

Hell, if you know of any fiction that may utilize various angel and demons (specifically the struggle between the two) that'd be cool too.

You could try The Last Vampire series of books by Christopher Pike. Those are probably my favorite vampire books. The books are a little philosophical/theological and start incorporating some science fiction in the last two or so books.

I really liked To Reign In Hell. It's a novel about the fall of Satan. If you're religious, it might offend you somewhat because Satan is a pretty sympathetic character. I enjoyed it a lot, though.

Opium Jellyfish
Feb 8, 2009
I've been looking for a certain kind of book for a while now, with no luck. I'm basically looking for a book about assholes/unlikable and unsympathetic main characters. Curb Your Enthusiasm, but in book form. Catcher in the Rye, but less of a downer. It's gotta have humor too, like sarcastic, sardonic, anti-humor type humor. In short, books about horrible people.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Opium Jellyfish posted:

I've been looking for a certain kind of book for a while now, with no luck. I'm basically looking for a book about assholes/unlikable and unsympathetic main characters. Curb Your Enthusiasm, but in book form. Catcher in the Rye, but less of a downer. It's gotta have humor too, like sarcastic, sardonic, anti-humor type humor. In short, books about horrible people.
I found American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis to be hilarious and it definitely fits that description.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Opium Jellyfish posted:

Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Opium Jellyfish posted:

Vanity Fair: A Novel Without a Hero by William Thackeray.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
While I'm waiting for the rest of The Geralt Saga (the Witcher books) to get translated, I'm looking for something similar. With this I mean mature, intelligent, dark-but-not-grimdark fantasy, that still retain a sense of humor.

...sorry, that sounds incredibly pretentious, but it's hard to explain what sets them apart from the generic fantasy sludge. So basically books like Blood of Elves.

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 4, 2011

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
At the moment, I'm pretty much completely ignorant about politics and economics, and I want to change that. Does anyone know any good books to read to become a bit more knowledgable and informed about these subjects? I'm mainly looking for books to become more informed about political idealogies, etc. I do know a bit of basic micro and macroeconomics but not enough to really apply it to current events.

I was thinking of picking up freakonomics to start off, what's the general consensus on it?

I'm aware that I'm looking at reading a lot of books here, but that's cool with me 'cause I need to read more anyways. If getting properly informed on these subjects requires reading up on history I don't mind that at all too. :)

edit: removed 'philosophy' since I found some recommendations in the thread

Coritani fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 5, 2011

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Coritani posted:

At the moment, I'm pretty much completely ignorant about politics, economics and philosphy and I want to change that. Does anyone know any good books to read to become a bit more knowledgable and informed about these subjects? I'm mainly looking for books to become more informed about political idealogies, philosophy, etc. I do know a bit of basic micro and macroeconomics but not enough to really apply it to current events.

I was thinking of picking up freakonomics to start off, what's the general consensus on it?

I'm aware that I'm looking at reading a lot of books here, but that's cool with me 'cause I need to read more anyways. If getting properly informed on these subjects requires reading up on history I don't mind that at all too. :)

Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World is a great book about the philosophy of science. I can't recommend it enough.

Not exactly the same as what you're looking for, but it's very enlightening and easy to read. Carl is probably the biggest influence on my personal philosophies.

Edit: I really liked Freakanomics, but I've seen things that call some of their stuff into question. Never looked into it more than that, so you should read up on the controversy if you read the book.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 5, 2011

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Opium Jellyfish posted:

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Ginger Man by JP Donleavy
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Coritani posted:

At the moment, I'm pretty much completely ignorant about politics and economics, and I want to change that. Does anyone know any good books to read to become a bit more knowledgable and informed about these subjects? I'm mainly looking for books to become more informed about political idealogies, etc. I do know a bit of basic micro and macroeconomics but not enough to really apply it to current events.

Nixonland is long (750 pages) but it's pretty applicable to politics now and how certain stances developed in the 1960s.

That reminds me. When visiting home, I found a copy of All the President's Men. I need to start on that.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

DrGonzo90 posted:

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Ginger Man by JP Donleavy
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe

The Ginger Man was cool, but man, was Sebastian an rear end in a top hat.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Day Man posted:

Edit: I really liked Freakanomics, but I've seen things that call some of their stuff into question. Never looked into it more than that, so you should read up on the controversy if you read the book.

Freakonomics is basically well-written BS. The authors claim they won't pull any punches or worry about being politically correct, but what this translates to is questionable hypotheses based on heresy presented with unsubstantiated data and treated as fact.

For example, they argue that abortion lowered crime rates in the 90's. Why? According to them, poor people are most likely to get abortions and live in lovely crime-filled neighborhoods. When Roe v. Wade was decided, now, because everyone could get abortions, children that would have been growing up in poor neighborhoods were not being born. Because they didn't exist, they couldn't grow up to be criminals, so crime decreased.

The data to support this is that some cities that allowed abortion earlier had crime fall earlier. Barely (if at all, I can't perfectly recall, TBQH) discussed is the idea that correlation != causation.

Additionally (and far dumber), in SuperFreakonomics, the final chapter deals with global warming. Luckily, the authors have some solutions.

1) Fill the ocean off the coast of Africa with inner tubes wearing plastic "skirts". This (supposedly) will cause warm water to fall down and allow cold water to come to the surface, thereby reducing the ocean's temperature.

2) Pump the skies full of a reflecting agent, using long thin tubes that reach into the highest parts of the atmosphere. Due to the reflection of the sun's light, the earth will cool. (How these tubes are to be built is not discussed beyond "they would be made of a light material", and "there would be a big motor at the bottom pumping the reflecting chemical")

Their source for both these ideas is one "research lab", headed by one "scientist". They mention that other scientists have expressed doubts (to put it mildly) about these solutions, but that's obviously because they don't want to look for a creative answer.

In short, both books are fun to read, but you should take any ideas they express with about a pound of salt. Some chapters aren't so bad (the one on how income and race factors affect baby names was fun), but any semi-serious or controversial claims are probably bunk. The main problem is that they often choose only one or two sources per chapter, and present any opinions expressed by these sources as gospel truth, giving no time to opposing points of view. The authors also lack any scientific grounding outside their fields, so they fall into the same sort of trap Malcolm Gladwell does, where some crazy idea or misunderstanding is presented unambiguously as fact.

Anyway, if you're looking for political books, I'd recommend A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's more historical than political, but it really does reveal a lot about the state of politics in the US today. For philosophy, it's harder to say unless there's a specific issue you're interested in (epistemology, mind-body, ethics, etc), but Plato is a good place to start if you want to understand the context of later developments, and is surprisingly decently readable. You can pretty much try whatever you want, everything should be available as a free ebook, so even if you don't have an ereader, you can try out a couple and see what you like. If I had to name one, I guess the Republic would be a good place to start. :)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Coritani posted:

the pop economics genre is full of terrible writing, terrible logic, and terrible people. Freakonomics is the poster boy (although it is well written): the skin-deep analysis, failure to consider alternative explanations, and undue confidence in the conclusions presented -- the field is full of this kind of stuff. The best book I've read in the genre is Tom Slee's No One Makes You Shop at Wal-Mart, ostensibly about the failure of neoliberal belief in the power of choice to provide optimal solutions, but actually a pretty good introduction to micro economics and game theory and the way economists think about these things.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Opium Jellyfish posted:

Seconding American Psycho and adding his other books, Less Than Zero, The Informers, and Rules of Attraction.

Glamorama is also great but doesn't fit your description as much, Lunar Park was mediocre, and I haven't read his new one, Imperial Bedrooms.

Also, Ham on Rye by Bukowsky is really good and fits your description.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Jigsaw posted:

Anyway, if you're looking for political books, I'd recommend A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's more historical than political, but it really does reveal a lot about the state of politics in the US today. For philosophy, it's harder to say unless there's a specific issue you're interested in (epistemology, mind-body, ethics, etc), but Plato is a good place to start if you want to understand the context of later developments, and is surprisingly decently readable. You can pretty much try whatever you want, everything should be available as a free ebook, so even if you don't have an ereader, you can try out a couple and see what you like. If I had to name one, I guess the Republic would be a good place to start. :)

A People's History is a chronology of labor strife through a very rigid and narrowminded lens. I wouldn't recommend it even to progressive readers -- it's a polemic, not a textbook. Here's a critique from the left that points out the many shortcomings.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend, but you could do a lot worse then picking up the bits of the Oxford History of the United States that you can find.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Copernic posted:

A People's History is a chronology of labor strife through a very rigid and narrowminded lens. I wouldn't recommend it even to progressive readers -- it's a polemic, not a textbook. Here's a critique from the left that points out the many shortcomings.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend, but you could do a lot worse then picking up the bits of the Oxford History of the United States that you can find.
Well, you definitely shouldn't take A People's History as your only source. My point was that it might be a more engaging way to start reading on US history, with the reader ideally moving on to other books. The point is that it begins to make up for the rigid nationalism taught in schools, not that it's a complete overview of US history in itself. It only works in a certain context of previously learned history. But you could do a lot worse than reading it, is my point.

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks alot for the suggestions. I've written them all down so I'm going to go down to my local library to find some, and I'll probably look around some cheapo bookstores as well. Especially the Demon Haunted World - I would've never thought of it and it looks fascinating.

But with regards to reading up on politics, I was looking for something a little more introductory - something that covers what the most common idealogies (e.g centre-right, social democrat, etc) are, their beliefs, maybe their history too, etc. Does such a thing exist? Would I be better off printing out a whole bunch of wikipedia pages instead (augh)? If it was in the context of New Zealand that'd be even better.

The info on freakonomics is interesting too, I'll definitely keep it all in mind when I pick it up. Are there any easy to read books on macroeconomic theory, or should I just grab a textbook?

Thanks again!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

While I'm waiting for the rest of The Geralt Saga (the Witcher books) to get translated, I'm looking for something similar. With this I mean mature, intelligent, dark-but-not-grimdark fantasy, that still retain a sense of humor.

...sorry, that sounds incredibly pretentious, but it's hard to explain what sets them apart from the generic fantasy sludge. So basically books like Blood of Elves.

Repeating this post as I'm also interested! :D

How god-drat long will it take for these books to be translated? They're awesome! I've read the only 2 ones that are translated. :(

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Can anyone recommend some entertaining (ie. not textbook) books about European history? More of an overview than focusing on any specific period (like, the history of Joan of Arc is not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm looking more for something like England between 1200 and 1600). Ideally English or French, but honestly anything like that would be good. The kicker is that I'd really like for there to be a Kindle version of it.

Thanks.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Coritani posted:

Thanks alot for the suggestions. I've written them all down so I'm going to go down to my local library to find some, and I'll probably look around some cheapo bookstores as well. Especially the Demon Haunted World - I would've never thought of it and it looks fascinating.

But with regards to reading up on politics, I was looking for something a little more introductory - something that covers what the most common idealogies (e.g centre-right, social democrat, etc) are, their beliefs, maybe their history too, etc. Does such a thing exist? Would I be better off printing out a whole bunch of wikipedia pages instead (augh)? If it was in the context of New Zealand that'd be even better.

The info on freakonomics is interesting too, I'll definitely keep it all in mind when I pick it up. Are there any easy to read books on macroeconomic theory, or should I just grab a textbook?

Thanks again!

I found Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics to be quite readable. The writing is pretty good and the examples he uses are interesting enough to make the book fun to read.

DrGonzo90 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2011

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Proteus4994 posted:

Can anyone recommend some entertaining (ie. not textbook) books about European history? More of an overview than focusing on any specific period (like, the history of Joan of Arc is not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm looking more for something like England between 1200 and 1600). Ideally English or French, but honestly anything like that would be good. The kicker is that I'd really like for there to be a Kindle version of it.

Thanks.

You could try Millenium by Tom Holland, it's an overview of Europe around the turn of the millenium. Holland writes in a narrative style that's very engaging for the casual reader. There's plenty about England and France (the period covers 1066 after all) and there's a lot about the relationship between church and state if thats something you're intersted in.

If you want to go back as far as classical europe his books Rubicon (about the Roman republic) and Persian Fire (Persian invasion of Greece) are also very good.

Opium Jellyfish
Feb 8, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations, I just started American Psycho--it had been on my list for a while. Coincidentally, someone had lent me A Confederacy of Dunces so I'll probably start either that or The Ginger Man next.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
Pining away for the days of yore, when I was involved in show jumping, I've been reading a lot of books about horse racing (Nack's Secretariat, Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit, bios on Man O' War and Affirmed, etc, etc). Does anyone have an recommendations for more books, either non-fiction or fiction? In the way of fiction, I've read Sara Gruen's Flying Lessons and Fern Michaels' Kentucky Series. I read almost every young adult horse book I could get my hands on when I was younger. After my non-fiction splurge, I'm more in the mood for fiction. I'll take science fiction, romance, general fiction, whatever. Any ideas?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
If you liked Nack's book on Secretariat, he's also written a good book on Ruffian.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Opium Jellyfish posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I just started American Psycho--it had been on my list for a while. Coincidentally, someone had lent me A Confederacy of Dunces so I'll probably start either that or The Ginger Man next.

If you're up for a bit of the old ultra-violence, there's also A Clockwork Orange.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Proteus4994 posted:

Thanks.

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives might interest you, or maybe A World Lit Only By Fire, for contrasting views of the Medieval era.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

Thanks.

Norman Davies' Europe: A History is pretty great, although it covers the entire continent and from prehistoric times to the EU.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Opium Jellyfish posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I just started American Psycho--it had been on my list for a while.

Just a fair warning - this book is extremely graphic and disturbing.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Are The Witcher books worth reading? I played the game, and it seems like an interesting world, but the game doesn't really fill you in on the history of the world.

I rarely read fiction. I'm finishing up World War Z, and I really didn't like it. I understand I'm in the minority here. Genre fiction especially seems like it has much lower standards, which is my fear here.

Thanks. Va fail.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opium Jellyfish posted:

There is also Lolita

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also Lolita
The protagonist in Lolita is actually pretty likable, he just does some rotten things. He's not sympathetic but he doesn't come across as a complete bastard either.

Lolita's a really good book though, erryone should read it.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Internet Cliche posted:

Are The Witcher books worth reading? I played the game, and it seems like an interesting world, but the game doesn't really fill you in on the history of the world.

I rarely read fiction. I'm finishing up World War Z, and I really didn't like it. I understand I'm in the minority here. Genre fiction especially seems like it has much lower standards, which is my fear here.

Thanks. Va fail.

Absolutely. They're very unlike the usual fantasy pulp, intelligently written and with a healthy fistful of dry humor. Really, Sapkowski doesn't let himself get restricted by the default conventions of the genre, so there's bound to be at least some entertainment to be had. Of course, it's still all fiction, even if not strictly genre-bound, but as long as you can get over that I'd recommend them.

Give The Last Wish a shot and see if you like the style, it's a collection of short stories, so it's not a big investment of time.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I've been itching for some Nazi-era German fiction lately. I recently read The Book Thief and I feel like I need more to feed my brain. Any suggestions?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

I've been itching for some Nazi-era German fiction lately. I recently read The Book Thief and I feel like I need more to feed my brain. Any suggestions?
Have you read Mr. Elie Wiesel or are you looking for something written by someone less personally involved?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

xcheopis posted:

Have you read Mr. Elie Wiesel or are you looking for something written by someone less personally involved?

So you are saying Night is fiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

That drat Satyr posted:

I take it you mean fiction set in Nazi-era Germany, yes? If so, it's not an easy read, but Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum is pretty incredible.

bobkatt013 posted:

So you are saying Night is fiction?

Here's hoping he misread something and is not a Holocaust denier...