Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tecman posted:

Did you mean this one? Also, for the folks arguing about questionable voice acting - listen to this.
http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/thevoiceactingofdeusex.mp3
edit:

http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/ahmisterdenton.mp3

Truly a full-service OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I last checked this thread like 500 posts ago, so I'll apologize if these questions have been answered already, but Does the game still feature 1-pip-only auto-regeneration, or have they increased it at all? Also, have they said anything about being able to control the head bobbing?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I last checked this thread like 500 posts ago. Does the game still feature 1-pip-only auto-regeneration, or have they increased it at all?

Also, have they said anything about being able to control the head bobbing?

Yes on the first count, and I don't believe the second has been addressed.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Crap. In the leak, 1-pip-only regen is pretty terrible. It almost makes having any more than 2 energy pips worthless, considering the lack of resources in the game that can refill them.

Something like "1 pip regens in 10 seconds + 10-20 second delay before next pip starts to regen, continue until all pips full" would have been perfect, and it would have actually made investing in more than 2 pips worth it without, in my opinion, being overpowered.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 3, 2011

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
It probably needs to stay like it is. If you could regen more than one, it'd make the double-takedown much more valuable, and change a bunch of situations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I feel like if the pips just regen'd very very very slowly over time it wouldn't be a huge deal. If you want to wait around all day so you can takedown a couple more dudes more power to you, but it's faster and more efficient to just taze people.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oatgan posted:

I feel like if the pips just regen'd very very very slowly over time it wouldn't be a huge deal. If you want to wait around all day so you can takedown a couple more dudes more power to you, but it's faster and more efficient to just taze people.

Yeah have whole bar of regen take like 5 real minutes but if you want to do poo poo faster pop some candy bars

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seeing that German review, seems like the level designers suffer from skewed city planning syndrome, too, when doing the outsides. Roads and a bunch of other features seem all way too narrow and cramped.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
The problem is that the single bar regens faster than that, and if the regen rate slowed down massively after the first one, it'd be faster to just use the first bar over and over.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I haven't tried the leak, but would I be correct in guessing that your implants use the not-regenerating pips first? Because just switching the order in which they get used seems like it'd have a big impact.

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

RichieWolk posted:

The problem is that the single bar regens faster than that, and if the regen rate slowed down massively after the first one, it'd be faster to just use the first bar over and over.

Haven't played the full game to get the balance down, but I think it might have been the right call as it is. That takedown is an instant win button period - it practically makes the rest of your resources useless. I think they liked it, but wanted to make sure it didn't crowd out all the other weapons/augs. Besides, how many practical augs use an entire pip anyway?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Crap. In the leak, 1-pip-only regen is pretty terrible. It almost makes having any more than 2 energy pips worthless, considering the lack of resources in the game that can refill them.

Something like "1 pip regens in 10 seconds + 10-20 second delay before next pip starts to regen, continue until all pips full" would have been perfect, and it would have actually made investing in more than 2 pips worth it without, in my opinion, being overpowered.

I agree entirely, hell they could go the full mile and make each pip after the 1st take 60 or more seconds to regenerate and it'd still be a better system than what we've got.

There are many times in the leak where I'll just not be using energy at all for pretty long lengths of time, but still stuck to one energy pip. It feels like they really underpowered the system. Also the lack of a dedicated melee button kinda hurts.

quote:

And that's fine and balanced, but how does it make sense when I'm just walking around a police station or the streets of detroit does my energy not come back? Is Adam Jensen perpetually tired until he eats a energy bar? It's just dumb to use all your energy up and then potentially be stuck well over two hours before you find a energy recharge resource to get more pips back, which are merely going to go away as it is.

As it stands there doesn't seem to be a reason to have a full energy upgrade, other than to trap noobies.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 4, 2011

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Sometimes there are things included just for fun, not for min/maxing the best. Maybe sometimes a guy just wants to take out 5 guys in a row and dance ok?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I'm way behind on leakchat but hooooly poo poo it's amazing how Deus Ex-y this game is. So many right decisions. :stare:

Do we know if there are any black market augs or is this stuff we've already seen the end of it? It'd be nice to have more but there's already quite a bit to work with and I have like five different playthroughs planned as it is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Woozy posted:

I'm way behind on leakchat but hooooly poo poo it's amazing how Deus Ex-y this game is. So many right decisions. :stare:

Do we know if there are any black market augs or is this stuff we've already seen the end of it? It'd be nice to have more but there's already quite a bit to work with and I have like five different playthroughs planned as it is.

I'm 99% sure they've outright said that Jensen has all the augs already installed in him, you just need to activate them.

As a side note, a presentation that shows you the current state of augmentation technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AoRmlAZVTs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How useful is the typhoon?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

How useful is the typhoon?

In the demo, I hardly used it at all. I'd imagine it will function as more of an "oh poo poo" button than anything else. Because, after all, it's intended purpose is to be used when you're standing right next to several people, which doing for more than half a second will get you killed.

The only alternatives, then, would be to do the gimmicky thing and go invisible until you get inside the crowd, then pop the typhoon, which will likely drain every drop of energy you've got, or you could drop down in the middle of the group from above, then typhoon. And I can't imagine Eidos would be able to setup many situations like that before it just becomes obvious to the player that they're setting up situations like that artificially and on purpose just to give you an excuse to use the ability, which would honestly be pretty cheesy and immersion breaking.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 4, 2011

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
At max level Typhoon will kill anything in the game so it's useful if you don't want to keep a lot of heavy weapons in your inventory.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
Anyone know if the Rocket Launcher is still gonna be poo poo in the full game?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I'm 99% sure they've outright said that Jensen has all the augs already installed in him, you just need to activate them.

As a side note, a presentation that shows you the current state of augmentation technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AoRmlAZVTs

What a shame. I was really, really hoping to get a gun arm. :(

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Attention, gullible self-involved web-surfing fucknobs.

Lazarus has something to say to you. It's time for you to meet (or at least, hear) probably the best character in Deus Ex: Human Revolution (for me, him and Pritchard are tied for the "most glorious and funny assholes" award).

Looks like the voice files were meant to go live weekly, so far these are online:
#1: Augmentations -> Vision or http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/#/augmentations/vision/
#2: Augmentations -> Speed or http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/#/augmentations/speed/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ok so I'm not 100% informed like you guys so bear with me here. In the actual game to you need to take anti-rejection drugs to stop your augmentations from failing and killing you etc? I want to be able to find a shady warehouse and buy black market Chinese augs with no safety features then shake down a drug dealer for his supply of immunosuppressors.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Ok so I'm not 100% informed like you guys so bear with me here. In the actual game to you need to take anti-rejection drugs to stop your augmentations from failing and killing you etc? I want to be able to find a shady warehouse and buy black market Chinese augs with no safety features then shake down a drug dealer for his supply of immunosuppressors.

That's part of the storyline regarding augs, but it's not a gameplay mechanic. I didn't find any neuropozine inventory items in the demo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pwnstar posted:

Adam is one of the lucky few that has his body accept aug's.
At least that is how far I got/what I heard.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zedd posted:

Adam is one of the lucky few that has his body accept aug's.
At least that is how far I got/what I heard.

He's not just one of the "lucky few." According to the email, that's just downright unheard of. Jenson's one in a billion.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

In addition, there are no black market augs. You have potential access to every single aug combination you can think of, limited only by the amount of praxis points you acquire.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

the littlest prince posted:

In addition, there are no black market augs. You have potential access to every single aug combination you can think of, limited only by the amount of praxis points you acquire.

So you have all possible augs at the start but you can only activate them with xp/levels/magic beans?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Pwnstar posted:

So you have all possible augs at the start but you can only activate them with xp/levels/magic beans?

I thiiink the game logic is that Jensen is fully augmented with everything they could possibly stuff into him, a model for the most superduper cyborg dude ever - However, most is offline initially to avoid overloading his little human brain. Praxis points represent the systems gradually coming online as and when Jensen can cope.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

KillHour posted:

He's not just one of the "lucky few." According to the email, that's just downright unheard of. Jenson's one in a billion.

I thought that Sarif industries had just developed some new technology that prevented augmentation rejection and that Jenson was supposed to be one of the first people it was used on. Am I wrong?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If you think about it, it must take time to learn to control unheard of body functions. Like all of a sudden being able to wiggle your ears, except instead of wiggling your ears if you do a certain thing your body shits out a cloud of tiny explosives.

Also, did you ever play Far Cry 2? It had a mechanic where you had malaria and every 30-40 minutes, you had to take your malaria medicine or else you got sicker and sicker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6NNrIo6g1w&feature=related

It was annoying and kind of pointless.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Started playing some Deus Ex yesterday. Feels good man.

Although the wheel on my mouse is a liiiiittle too sensitive so I keep pulling out things and switching between them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It's best not to over-think the Praxis thing in fiction, given that at any time you can just buy a "Praxis Pack," giving you a free point, which makes me wonder why Sarif wouldn't just get as many of them as possible together for his personal fixer/assassin.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Lowen SoDium posted:

Am I wrong?
I'd suggest not thinking about this too hard and waiting for the final game. :) Just trust me on this one.

Also, am I the only one who really loved the poo poo out of those Lazarus audio clips from my previous post? Go listen to them if you haven't. :mad:

edit: While I'm posting... Some people did a short fan-made film called Deus Ex: Augmentations.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 4, 2011

acidreflux
Oct 11, 2010

ShineDog posted:

I thiiink the game logic is that Jensen is fully augmented with everything they could possibly stuff into him, a model for the most superduper cyborg dude ever - However, most is offline initially to avoid overloading his little human brain. Praxis points represent the systems gradually coming online as and when Jensen can cope.

I think it makes sense in the way that this takes away the horrible compromise between playing a Jensen that's inherently against augmentation but then having to gimp yourself for a congruent experience by not getting any augmentations. This way, he is just blessed/cursed with them and either will discover their usefulness or not.

It would never have been viable to play JC that way, gameplay or story-wise, which is why the hunting-for-canisters thing worked.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tecman posted:

I'd suggest not thinking about this too hard and waiting for the final game. :) Just trust me on this one.

Yeah, based on the leak, things will become abundantly clear in the final game. To the tune of whack you over the head with a plot point clear.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I thought that Sarif industries had just developed some new technology that prevented augmentation rejection and that Jenson was supposed to be one of the first people it was used on. Am I wrong?

My hunch is that you are wrong but it's a major plot-related spoiler if I'm right. Just consider Adam himself to be the biggest conspiracy you come across in DX3.

Oh god the game owns so hard. :supaburn:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pwnstar posted:

Yup, They're called Praxis points.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Al! posted:

It's best not to over-think the Praxis thing in fiction, given that at any time you can just buy a "Praxis Pack," giving you a free point, which makes me wonder why Sarif wouldn't just get as many of them as possible together for his personal fixer/assassin.

The in-game explanation is that they're software packages that unlock them before the system thinks you're ready, so they should be used carefully. The nurse actually asks you to make sure you're ready for them before she sells you any.
:rolleye:

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

Tecman posted:

Also, am I the only one who really loved the poo poo out of those Lazarus audio clips from my previous post? Go listen to them if you haven't. :mad:

I hate Lazarus so much. He gives me that nutty Alex Jones vibe that drives me bananas.

"WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!"
This game is so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Skyscraper posted:

I haven't tried the leak, but would I be correct in guessing that your implants use the not-regenerating pips first? Because just switching the order in which they get used seems like it'd have a big impact.

All of the batteries regenerate if partially full. If you have no energy left, then you'll start regenerating the last one.

• Locked thread