Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Examining my betting has proven I'm kind of awesome! Of course, with a betting strategy of "the biggest and the one with the coolest name" how can you go wrong!
I do hope Bet Big on Big People doesn't become the betting strategy du jour, because that will sap all fun and competition from it.

At least I know unarmed + armor may not be as bad of a build as I thought, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ImperialGuard posted:

I do hope Bet Big on Big People doesn't become the betting strategy du jour, because that will sap all fun and competition from it.

On the other hand though, if everyone bets on the big guy, they will get a small payout if the big guy wins, whereas the few who bet on the little guy will get a MASSIVE payout if the little guy wins.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

On the other hand though, if everyone bets on the big guy, they will get a small payout if the big guy wins, whereas the few who bet on the little guy will get a MASSIVE payout if the little guy wins.

You heard Jazzimus, everyone bet against Sir Hiss! It's 5 fights away!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Locomotive breath posted:

No, you're fine. Totally fine. You are so fine there are not words for how fine you are. Except for the words, You're Fine.

I don't believe you! You bet all your money on yourself!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I bet all my cash on myself. This is a good tactic!!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just got my house internet set up again, only to discover that Dies Horribly's next opponent is a goddamn Yeti.

Quick, everyone bet on the Yeti so I make a shitton more money if I pull off another victory!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

RickVoid posted:

Dies Horribly's next opponent is a goddamn Yeti.

arenachallenge.com posted:

Gamefan is a male Troll fighter

:negative:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

:negative:

Well drat. Doesn't matter really, both equal pain.

Seriously, how did I gently caress up that badly, gently caress...

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I had some downtime at work today, so I updated the View Bet page to make it look cleaner and more in line with the layout of the Place Bet page. It shows a summary of bets for both pending and completed matches, and allows you to drill-down to the betting details for each individual match.

Since betting information is public, the View Bet page is available both to registered users and to guests.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_bet.php?4

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The amount of support you're providing for our fictional bloodsport is amazing.

Curious to see if the size difference between a dwarf and a werewolf will prove decisive, so I know whether to despair or not for my upcoming serpentman vs. tigerwoman fight.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Running some fights right now! Look for an update in a couple hours.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

PublicOpinion posted:

The amount of support you're providing for our fictional bloodsport is amazing.

Curious to see if the size difference between a dwarf and a werewolf will prove decisive, so I know whether to despair or not for my upcoming serpentman vs. tigerwoman fight.

I'm not sure how much weight I'd put on the outcome of my fight seeing that I kinda chose skills and items at random. Well, not so much "at random" as much as not really knowing anything about the mechanics and never having seen the other tournaments. If the werewolf wins it could definitely be because I suck rather than the size making the difference. Basically I'm hoping luck plays a big part!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches Seven Through Ten:siren:

Match Seven, The Bulbous Loaf (Adus) vs. Brometheus (Locomotive breath)

The Bulbous Loaf, dwarf fighter, is armed with a copper war hammer, copper helm, copper breast plate, and oak shield- a fairly standard set of inexpensive gear. Brometheus the werewolf is geared out with an iron two-handed sword, iron mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper leggings. Immediately, we note that the werewolf's sword is of high enough quality to defeat the dwarf's armor- this bodes poorly for The Bulbous Loaf.

The match is underway! Both warriors charge forward- but what's this? It seems that The Bulbous Loaf is just a step faster than his werewolf opponent, whose species generally outrun dwarves with ease! As the warriors come into weapon's range, Loaf lowers his hammer and delivers a flying kick to Brometheus's arm! The werewolf looks mildly annoyed, but not especially injured. He charges at Loaf, and the dwarf goes down like a sack of potatoes, though he avoids being cut by the iron blade.

Brometheus slashes at the prone Loaf, but the dwarf blocks the attack and hops back to his feet- right into Brometheus's next strike! The two-handed sword cuts a deep gash into Loaf's left arm, tearing through muscle! Brometheus immediately presses the advantage with another swing, but Loaf evades and counters- only to see his hammer-strike turned by the werewolf's massive blade. Now Brometheus attempts a more surgical approach, stabbing his two-handed sword straight into Loaf's foot. The blade penetrates through and through, and Loaf tumbles as his crippled foot gives out beneath him.

Loaf attempts to fight back from the ground, but Brometheus knocks his attacks away without issue and focuses on maiming the dwarf's unarmored legs. Loaf parries, blocks, and scrambles to avoid a rapidly-onrushing death, but cannot escape every attack. Soon his legs are a tatter of ragged, rent flesh. Still, Loaf soldiers on, but a sudden sweep of the werewolf's sword takes off his arm, and with it, his hammer. Moments later, The Bulbous Loaf dies in a massive pool of his own blood, never having scored a single hit on his opponent beyond his initial, wild kick.

Combat Log

Match Eight, (POP)erthe(pop)eny (resistentialism) vs. Al Gore (Geekkake)

(POP)erthe(pop)eny the soldier ant woman is our first ranged combatant! She wields an iron crossbow, two oak bucklers, a copper cap, leather armor, and leather gloves. Her opponent, Al Gore the minotaur, has an iron great axe and an iron mail shirt. That armor may just be enough to save him from incoming fire! Let's find out!

(POP)erthe(pop)eny fires her loaded crossbow, sending an iron bolt hurtling in Al Gore's direction! The bolt pierces directly through the minotaurs skull before he can so much as take a step, and the mighty beast is instantly slain!

Combat Log

Match Nine, Jonathan Sebastian Smith (Fredrik1) vs. Chainsaw: The Prince of Karate (Boing)

Jonathan Sebastian Smith, human gladiator, wields a mighty platinum (???) long sword and oak shield. He is armored with a shirt of simple copper. Chainsaw: The Prince of Karate is another human gladiator, and is armed with steel dagger. He is also expensively armored in steel mail and steel helm. With so many points invested in armor, will Chainsaw be able to compete?

Chainsaw proves just slightly quicker than his opponent and takes the first swing, slashing out with his steel dagger. Jonathan blocks, then attacks with his extremely overpriced sword, which Chainsaw deftly parries. Jonathan blocks a counter in turn.

Suddenly, Jonathan charges! He thrusts his platinum blade into Chainsaw's chest, but the steel mail easily holds. The two warriors tangle and roll to the ground together, dazed. Chainsaw is the first to his feet, but must immediately block a thrust of Jonathan's blade. Jonathan then moves to crawl out from underneath his opponent while Chainsaw slashes away. Jonathan gets clear, blocking several strikes as he finally stumbles to his feet!

The two exchange several more strikes before Jonathan lands a hit on Chainsaw's off-hand, finally drawing first blood! Followup strikes are repulsed by Chainsaw's excellent armor. Jonathan elects to charge again, and the two go down once more. This time, though, the uninjured Jonathan is the first to his feet, and he quickly strikes at Chainsaw several times, ripping open his lower leg, arm, and right hand.

Jonathan's assault continues unabated. Chainsaw holds his own despite his wounds, but rapidly adds more injuries to his collection. Finally, his weapon hand is mangled to the point where he can no longer hold his dagger, and he loses his footing after a vicious stab through his foot a moment later. From here on out, it's no longer a question of who will win, but how long it will take. Jonathan uses his rather blunt weapon to work over Chainsaw's exposed limbs, eventually driving Chainsaw into a blinding rage! But it is to no avail- he is simply too badly hurt to be effective in battle, and bleeds out after having a hand and foot roughly hacked off. Jonathan, with his unusual sword, is victorious!

Combat Log

Match Ten, That One Snake Guy (dr solway garr) vs. Maugrem (Maugrim)

That One Snake Guy is a sword and buckler serpent man. He has an iron short sword, oak buckler, copper helm, copper mail shirt, and a leather high boot (for his tail). Maugrem the gremlin, his opponent, wields her steel short sword like a claymore. She is unarmored.

Maugrem, agile little creature that she is, claims the first strike of the match, thrusting her sword through the serpent man's weapon hand! Snake Guy's iron sword drops from his grip.

But Snake Guy isn't finished yet. He charges into the little gremlin, sending her sprawling, stunned, then begins beating at her with his buckler! Maugrem absorbs the strikes well, though, and gets back to her feet. Snake Guy rushes her again- but this time Maugrem leaps away, avoiding the charge entirely!

Now Maugrem gets a chance to swing her sword again- but Snake Guy dodges the strike! He charges at Maugrem yet again, knocking her to the ground, where she fends him off for some time before getting back to her feet, only to immediately be knocked down again. Snake Guy presses his advantage as best as he can, but without his sword, he is having trouble harming his tough little opponent. Suddenly, though, he sees an opening and slashes at the prone gremlin with his long reptilian claws, ripping off one of her hands entirely!

Maugrem attempts to fight on with her sword held in one hand, but Snake Guy keeps pressing until he sees another opportunity, this time for a bite! He chomps down on Maugrem's face, and his fang injects venom directly into Maugrem's eyeball, distending it horribly. Maugrem is instantly paralyzed, and Snake Guy starts shaking the dying gremlin about wildly by her head, tearing her body apart at the seams. Finally, Maugrem dies, and Snake Guy, instincts now fully at the helm, swallows his defeated opponent whole.

Combat Log

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 4, 2011

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Match Eight, (POP)erthe(pop)eny (resistentialism) vs. Al Gore (Geekkake)

(POP)erthe(pop)eny fires her loaded crossbow, sending an iron bolt hurtling in Al Gore's direction! The bolt pierces directly through the minotaurs skull before he can so much as take a step, and the mighty beast is instantly slain!

Combat Log
:argh: Soldier Ant Women! Taking my one-shot kills...now the RNG is never going to bless me...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
A first win for a snakeman and a victory for a smaller opponent over a larger one! This is historic times.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Heh, well at least it's not ENTIRELY big guys > small guys

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I kicked a werewolf. I had a hammer and I kicked him. God drat my dwarf is dumb. This outcome is not surprising at all.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Holy poo poo, the snakeman venom got used. I can't remember the last time that happened, usually the bite gets blocked by armor.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
I am so proud of Brometheus right now, you have no idea. Truly, he is a god among werebros. Although, next match I'll have to face that sniper ant, so, who knows, maybe I won't be so proud of him after all. Either way, Adus, you put up a good fight, after all, it's not your fault that The Bulbous Loaf was up against a superior fighter :smug:

Really though, good show and all that, come back next year and such. One thing I am curious about though, how was the dwarf able to outrun the werewolf? I don't know much about DF, so I thought that with standardized stats that the faster fighter would always be the one with more speed?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I didn't really, but it could have been worse. I could have been Al Gore. That was just unfortunate.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well that's one way to win, I guess.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Excellent payouts on that headshot match.

This is the thing with archer guys; you're only going to get two or three shots, but they could be really lucky ones.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Locomotive breath posted:

I am so proud of Brometheus right now, you have no idea. Truly, he is a god among werebros. Although, next match I'll have to face that sniper ant...

Actually, the seedings for this tournament will be randomized every round, but I haven't yet updated the script that draws the bracket to show that. You still might face the sniper ant, but it's a 1/63 chance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

Excellent payouts on that headshot match.

This is the thing with archer guys; you're only going to get two or three shots, but they could be really lucky ones.

Yeah, most melee fighters stack up on weapon skill so they can hit more effectively and parry, but that leaves you no defense against ranged projectiles, which can only be blocked and dodged generally.

quote:

Actually, the seedings for this tournament will be randomized every round, but I haven't yet updated the script that draws the bracket to show that. You still might face the sniper ant, but it's a 1/63 chance.

Just want to drive this point home. The bracket is a bit misleading; you will be facing a randomized opponent each and every round!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Reading through all these fights until mine in the 64th is like a long, long day before Christmas.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Al Gore vs. Antwoman :stare:

It's like the RNG took all the incompetence from that antwoman and gave it to gently caress Rogers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've gone ahead and bet on either;

A. People with excellent names and less money on them than their opponent.

B. Excessive long shots.

I expect this to pay off big time. :hist101:

Excellent fights so far, though the first one-shot-kill being smaller V minotaur worries me. . .

(Edited for multiple cases of I Am A Dumbass With No Memory.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 4, 2011

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Oh yeah, ANTWOMAN REPRESENT!

That was an awesome victory, one shot kill, incredible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:pwn: Those are certainly fights alright.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Ha. I really thought that gremlin had it, too. Just could not land a second hit for its life.

That said, a disarming strike against a larger foe is great, but it's far from ideal. The best types of hits against the big guys are:

1. Headshots, obviously.
2. Spinal cord shots to upper or lower torso. These are tough to achieve without a long weapon like a spear, because the big guys are so bulky.
3. Foot shots. If you can get them off their feet, they can no longer charge at you, and you gain a bunch of inherent +modifiers to your strikes. It's basically an instant win if you have higher skill levels than them.
4. Heart shots. These will bring them down, eventually, but you might be dead by then. The big guys take awhile to bleed out.
5. Disarming hits to hands or lower arms. Greatly reduce their ability to hurt you, but if they're 5 times your size it may not matter as much as you'd expect.
6. Any bone-breaking or organ-rending hit. These cause pain, and in the case of specific organs, nausea (guts) and winded (lungs) status effects. Each one of these modifiers will massively reduce the gladiator's speed and effective skill levels. Extreme pain (now generally requires at least 2 good hits) is highly debilitating and will also cause the gladiator to eventually pass out, generally ending the match.

Note that higher fighting skill (combined with enough skill in your weapon to actually hit anything, of course) now helps your gladiator seek out the more vulnerable areas to hit. You'll notice that creatures with high fighting skill will score lots of feet and head shots. I do not believe that they prioritize to avoid armor coverage, though.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 4, 2011

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Gutshots work really well on large opponents too!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

SynthOrange posted:

code:
That One Snake Guy bites Maugrem in the left eye, tearing it!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Maugrem's gremlin blood!
That One Snake Guy latches on firmly!
The Maugrem loses hold of the steel short sword.
The Maugrem is completely paralyzed!
:stare:

And a platinum sword? gently caress that. He got lucky :arghfist::black101:

No but really I should've bought some weapon skills. At least we had a nail-biting close match, right?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

Al Gore vs. Antwoman :stare:

It's like the RNG took all the incompetence from that antwoman and gave it to gently caress Rogers.

gently caress ROGERS NEVER DIE

Seriously though, gently caress Rogers is a legend of this fine sport. The Kimbo Slice of the gladiator pit

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Boing posted:

code:
That One Snake Guy bites Maugrem in the left eye, tearing it!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Maugrem's gremlin blood!
That One Snake Guy latches on firmly!
The Maugrem loses hold of the steel short sword.
The Maugrem is completely paralyzed!
:stare:

And a platinum sword? gently caress that. He got lucky :arghfist::black101:

No but really I should've bought some weapon skills. At least we had a nail-biting close match, right?

The way I see it, if you go into battle you better be stylish. Iron just isn't Jonathan Sebastian Smiths color.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

SynthOrange posted:

:(

I really thought I had it there.

This picture almost makes up for it. Almost.

Goddamn snake men.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Not good news for my gremlin, I think you had a very similar build to mine. Although I am fighting a troll, so maybe the lack of venom will help.

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~

Adus posted:

I kicked a werewolf. I had a hammer and I kicked him. God drat my dwarf is awesome.
Fixed that for you.

Edit: Also snakeman pride on our first tournament victory.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Look at all you sissies and your armor. Shield and Maul is the only way to go.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

AmadeusVonBlastoise posted:

Fixed that for you.

Edit: Also snakeman pride on our first tournament victory.

I suppose it was a very dwarven way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Note that higher fighting skill (combined with enough skill in your weapon to actually hit anything, of course) now helps your gladiator seek out the more vulnerable areas to hit. You'll notice that creatures with high fighting skill will score lots of feet and head shots. I do not believe that they prioritize to avoid armor coverage, though.

Does the same go for archery?

• Locked thread