Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

KoopaPoopa posted:

There's a weird translation on the guy who you speak to at fort condor to start the minigame that really confused me. They ask for donations as well as asking for your help in the fight, and he kept saying to me 'Can you make it 2000 gil please?'. I thought this meant that you needed to donate 2000 gil for the soldiers you would use, not that you needed to have 2000 gil in your wallet at that time.

I'd get 2000, donate it to them, and then get really annoyed that he'd still say the same thing.

Same here, when I was a kid I just didn't get it, kept going out to get more money, come back and give him the same. I must've got through thousands before getting pissed off and going on to Junon

Everyone is mentioning Final Fantasy music, but are clearly forgetting some of the greats.

Elentor, regarding the Fort Condor battles, do you have to do all the battles in sequence to get the related reward? So say the second battle gives you an Ether, and the third battle gives you an X-Potion, does that mean if you go back to Condor when it's time for the third battle, the reward would be an Ether or an X-Potion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well that's because we're only discussing town themes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Same here, when I was a kid I just didn't get it, kept going out to get more money, come back and give him the same. I must've got through thousands before getting pissed off and going on to Junon

Everyone is mentioning Final Fantasy music, but are clearly forgetting some of the greats.

Elentor, regarding the Fort Condor battles, do you have to do all the battles in sequence to get the related reward? So say the second battle gives you an Ether, and the third battle gives you an X-Potion, does that mean if you go back to Condor when it's time for the third battle, the reward would be an Ether or an X-Potion?

You only get the "next" item on the list. If you skipped the second battle, you'll get an Ether during the third battle.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Sometimes you just gotta have some music when you're out in the open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3loF8NmCtLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw051_TIux0&feature=related

Can't make it a fancy word link like you guys! Make a lump catch in my throat when I listen to those. I was nine when I played FFVIII and I thought it was amazing...

I'm loving this LP. I have played FFVII so many times and raked through so many 'explainations' of the plot and characters and WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!(Nothing.) I can't believe it never occured to me to try and break the game, or take a deeper look at the mechanics. But this is still a really entertaining LP despite being something I feel I know so well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Elentor posted:

I really like how in old games there are secrets like that. Secrets that are, you know, secret. Not finding Yuffie did not make your experience worse when you were playing. It's much more amusing than having Yuffie as a DLC character.
DLC would be stupid, yes. Thing is, in my mind there's a difference between secrets being hidden and them being obtuse. Even if I fought two - three battles in every area just to be sure, Yuffie might not pop up. Even if she did, I would probably screw up the recruitment and think "okay, then that's for another time".

I'm very big on finding secrets, I really love figuring stuff out. Like DKC2's bonus levels or extra exits in Super Mario World. With a few exceptions, though, those have hints to them or can be found by just dicking around a level where you know there has to be one (because the world map tells you so!). I've always hated Final Fantasy games' method of just putting extra stuff everywhere and if you're LUCKY a random NPC mentions a rumor along the line.

As Nidoking said, you're crazy if you don't want to miss too much and don't play with a guide alongside. I just don't like doing that. I played through both N64 Zeldas and Super Mario 64 with the help of a guide because I gave up too early as a kid and regretted ever since that I never experienced the joy of figuring out the Water Temple myself or being surprised by the pyramid's tip blowing off.
So far, I haven't played too many FF games (though I'm getting there), and I really want to experience them blind, but all those missable things make me cringe, too. Maybe that's just a special case of OCD talking, but we're all gamers here. Missing awesome stuff along the way DOES NOT FLY.

tl;dr: I wouldn't mind there being lots of secrets if they weren't obtuse and permanently missable.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Simply Simon posted:

So far, I haven't played too many FF games (though I'm getting there), and I really want to experience them blind, but all those missable things make me cringe, too. Maybe that's just a special case of OCD talking, but we're all gamers here. Missing awesome stuff along the way DOES NOT FLY.

Well, then FFXIII is for you!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Adus posted:

Well, then FFXIII is for you!

But then he'll miss out on fun!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simply Simon posted:

Maybe that's just a special case of OCD talking, but we're all gamers here. Missing awesome stuff along the way DOES NOT FLY.

tl;dr: I wouldn't mind there being lots of secrets if they weren't obtuse and permanently missable.

Here's my recommendation: Don't ever, ever touch World of Warcraft.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

The only somewhat obtuse thing is meeting her in battle in the first place but later in the game you're forced to travel through much bigger forest areas on the world map so there's a good chance you'll meet her eventually and if you screw up the next part you should really recognize her as Yuffie from the manual, try again and eventually you'll get her. And she's not permanently missable at all, you could even get her right before heading in the final dungeon.

And even if you get her relatively late in the game (On my first playthrough I only found her on disc 2.) you're not missing out on much character development or backstory on her because in her case that's all done in two optional sidequests one of which can be done until the end of disc 2, the other one is open the entire game.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Elentor posted:

Here's my recommendation: Don't ever, ever touch World of Warcraft.

That, sir, is exactly why I don't play WOW or indeed any other MMORPG. I kmnw that the minute I do so, I'm going to get involved in seeing everything and trying to do every quest and get every piece of shiny equipment and then come out of my house for a break to find that the authorities have declared me legally dead. Besides, I play RPGs mostly for the story and characterization, and MMOs are notorious for having a distinct lack of either. Oh, everyone claims that they continue the story of the world and take us all one step closer to closure, but I don't see that. Call me old fashioned, but I don't really count "And then they faffed around collecting bear asses and insulting each other forever" as a viable step to any story, first or final.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Where the gently caress is KOTOR 3, Bioware!?" :argh:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Even when Yuffie is a complete pain in the rear end, she's still hands down my favourite character in the game. I think it's a lot to do with her outsider/spectator status, but also because any time the game focuses on her for any reason magic happens.

Goatie
Jul 8, 2010

Elentor posted:

Junon is one of the weirdest cities I've ever seen in a game.

Odd, thinking about it, that city makes lots of sense to me. Shinra needed to build a big gun for whatever reason they felt justified to build it (Really, I still can't think of a fully valid reason other than going at war with the moon), so they set up a huge project smack in the middle of a city, hoping to hire locals and have them deal with bringing in workers rather than just building it halfway to nowhere. You see this in the real world all the time throughout history, small cities springing up near large projects to house labourers. As the project finishes, the workers and their families have settled in rather happily, and elect to stay there in more permanent, new housing rather than going back to wherever they came from. Of course, since it's a major military area (due to the big loving gun WHAT THE HELL JUSTIFIES SOMETHING THAT LARGE), Shinra has a large presence and, because why not, shows off with parades. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were constantly a parade at Junon on a daily basis.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I always loved the Black Mage Village's theme. I've listened to it on repeat for hours at a time.

You have no idea how that theme has helped me understand the Black Mages. At first, I had assumed that they all had some mystic knowledge, that they had a secret plan. As that music started I realised how... well... innocent they truly were. Almost pure.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The gun is a large artillery piece powered by the mako reactor pointed at a continent they were at war with once. It's mostly for compensation though.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Goatie posted:

WHAT THE HELL JUSTIFIES SOMETHING THAT LARGE

Did you not see how huge the Bottomswell was? If I saw poo poo like that on a daily basis I would also build a gun so huge as to make the NRA jizz its collective pants. And I'd make drat sure find a way to attach it to a giant robot or something, because it seems like a waste not to.

Dude, hey, spoiler.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 4, 2011

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Goatie posted:

WHAT THE HELL JUSTIFIES SOMETHING THAT LARGE

Shooting a robot dragon the planet sent at you, obviously.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Well, if you look at the map, the cannon DOES point in the general direction of Wutai. Maybe a big gently caress-off cannon was their version of the nuclear bomb that ended WW2.

Magicpokey
Feb 16, 2011
for an entity like shinra, it's simple.

City built around a giant phallus idol, check!
Large government presence, check!
Regular posturing from said government forces, check!

It's the same reasoning behind the shape of modern day weaponry.

George Carlin posted:

That's why the bombs, and the bullets, and the rockets are all shaped like dicks! It's called loving WITH PEOPLE!

Shinra is basically waving their dick in the face of everybody, saying: "Don't gently caress with us!"

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
To me it seems that repeat playthroughs were in mind when it came to picking up Yuffie.

You could get lucky running into her at the first place you can. It is the first forest in the game after all, so you will probably get in a fight there, just to check it out. Though chances are you will not, because an 1in8 encounter rate is not the best.

But you will start to wonder if you have missed something come the next town, where the weapon shops start selling weapons for her.

Even if you think that new shop weapons indicate a new character is coming up soon, you will probably reconsider that opinion after that character does not come 'soon', is not exactly a character designed to use ninja tools, and you are missing a portrait in your party menu.

After that, chances to run into her by luck in another forest, become quite high. So hopefully on a second run, you would ask yourself if you could get Yuffie sooner.

Regardless the likelihood however, finding her in a forest is completely dependent on luck as far as I know though, which does seem a tad silly. (Unless an NPC says something in her hometown if you do not have her or the like.)

But recruiting Yuffie is not that obtuse compared to the BS in other JRPGs. Her fellow ninja Shadow in FF6 comes to mind. At least the game tells you you have missed someone, even if it does not tell you where that person is.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Paused posted:

To me it seems that repeat playthroughs were in mind when it came to picking up Yuffie.

This is the bit that confuses me, really. I know it's completely a matter of personal opinion, but for me missing stuff is what the first playthrough is for. Your first time through you blunder along, taking things as they come and trying to adjust your strategy and thoughts to situations as they come up. The first playthrough will always be my own accomplishment, with no help from anybody else. It's the second (and subsequent) playthrough that's for using guides, getting everything, and breaking the game to hell and back.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Golden_Zucchini posted:

This is the bit that confuses me, really. I know it's completely a matter of personal opinion, but for me missing stuff is what the first playthrough is for. Your first time through you blunder along, taking things as they come and trying to adjust your strategy and thoughts to situations as they come up. The first playthrough will always be my own accomplishment, with no help from anybody else. It's the second (and subsequent) playthrough that's for using guides, getting everything, and breaking the game to hell and back.

Which works great when you're younger, but as you get less free time it's harder to do multiple playthroughs of 40+ hour games as well as play anything new.

Still, I agree that between the Yuffie-specific equipment showing up in shops, and the increasing likelihood of running into her as you get farther in the game, there's a good chance you'd be able to get her even on a blind first run. Just probably not this early.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Simply Simon posted:

DLC would be stupid, yes. Thing is, in my mind there's a difference between secrets being hidden and them being obtuse. Even if I fought two - three battles in every area just to be sure, Yuffie might not pop up. Even if she did, I would probably screw up the recruitment and think "okay, then that's for another time".

I'm very big on finding secrets, I really love figuring stuff out. Like DKC2's bonus levels or extra exits in Super Mario World. With a few exceptions, though, those have hints to them or can be found by just dicking around a level where you know there has to be one (because the world map tells you so!). I've always hated Final Fantasy games' method of just putting extra stuff everywhere and if you're LUCKY a random NPC mentions a rumor along the line.

As Nidoking said, you're crazy if you don't want to miss too much and don't play with a guide alongside. I just don't like doing that. I played through both N64 Zeldas and Super Mario 64 with the help of a guide because I gave up too early as a kid and regretted ever since that I never experienced the joy of figuring out the Water Temple myself or being surprised by the pyramid's tip blowing off.

They actually hint at Yuffie sometime in before Junon I think. Around Kalm.

And if I remember, you can't miss Yuffie if you answer the wrong questions. You just gotta find her again. None of the big secrets in 7 are missable. You can get Vincent on disc 2, same with Yuffie, but it's more enjoyable to do it early.

Final Fantasy games often don't have missables. The only ones I can think of that have distinct missables is FF12 and that's mostly related to loot.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2011

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Schwartzcough posted:

Which works great when you're younger, but as you get less free time it's harder to do multiple playthroughs of 40+ hour games as well as play anything new.

Still, I agree that between the Yuffie-specific equipment showing up in shops, and the increasing likelihood of running into her as you get farther in the game, there's a good chance you'd be able to get her even on a blind first run. Just probably not this early.

I guess that's why I so rarely play anything new.

And yes, as said above it really easy to get her eventually. I got her and the other secret character on my first run, and the other one is easier to miss out on.

Secrets and such that get some sort of hint to them or are always available are perfectly fine. It's the secrets that you have no way of knowing about whatsoever or worse that you are actively punished for looking for without a guide (I'm looking at you Zodiac Spear) that annoy me.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
How can you talk Final Fantasy town themes and neglect this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSjBh71Im-M

It's the most nostalgic music theme I've ever heard. I feel like walking around in predictable patterns and shouting "Welcome at Corneria!" at every passerby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8G707Y02g

This number from a very underrated early Final Fantasy also hits the bill, as does this guy (yes, the Rebel theme is a town theme: it plays whenever you're in Altea/Altair): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhX5KTpOuA&feature=related

Sadly, though FFV's my favorite title in the series, I didn't feel its town music was anything special, but I love both FFI and FFII's town music.

Oh, and one specific FFIII town, cute little Tozas :3::

FFIIIDS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjsFnv9IGng
FFIIINES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTXCFU8YNQ

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Goatie posted:

Odd, thinking about it, that city makes lots of sense to me. Shinra needed to build a big gun for whatever reason they felt justified to build it (Really, I still can't think of a fully valid reason other than going at war with the moon), so they set up a huge project smack in the middle of a city, hoping to hire locals and have them deal with bringing in workers rather than just building it halfway to nowhere. You see this in the real world all the time throughout history, small cities springing up near large projects to house labourers. As the project finishes, the workers and their families have settled in rather happily, and elect to stay there in more permanent, new housing rather than going back to wherever they came from. Of course, since it's a major military area (due to the big loving gun WHAT THE HELL JUSTIFIES SOMETHING THAT LARGE), Shinra has a large presence and, because why not, shows off with parades. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were constantly a parade at Junon on a daily basis.

Junon is a coastal defense city of the main Shinra continent. Notice how Junon is almost facing Wutai, who Shinra was once at war with. There's your answer. Also, I'm sure it's great for defense in general. It's a coastal city, and in order to get to Midgar on foot, you're going to have to go through Junon. At the same time, Midgar is surrounded by mountains and valleys and hills. It's the perfect defense.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 4, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Lethemonster posted:

But then he'll miss out on fun!

Actually, he'll have tons of fun!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Himuro posted:

Spoilers spoilers spoilers!

Some grade 'A' spoilers in that there post, I reckin'.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That's why it was spoiler marked, but I took out the more spoiler detailed stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azure_Horizon posted:

Actually, he'll have tons of fun!

So he'll be playing FFIX on PSP at the same time then?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I've always found it odd that you can clearly read 'Sister Ray' on the mako cannon at Junon. When it isn't called that yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rarity posted:

So he'll be playing FFIX on PSP at the same time then?

I guess it depends on whether Simon is an "illusion" sort of player or "mechanics" sort of player. 12 and 13 really cater to the mechanics players because it's all about figuring out what combination of automation maximizes your effectiveness, whereas 1-10 are more about the illusion of the player inputting a number of "unique" individual commands, even if each individual command is the same every time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
IX is like the best (FF) game. TONS of missable stuff, though. Fortunately, I read a certain LP of it before playing it and thus just play with a guide open on the side, being already spoiled for what's going to happen.

I played a bit of WoW, incidentally, was real fun. Never got too far into it, though, I lack a certain...ambition when it comes to video games. Who the gently caress cares about high levels. I want to try out awesome spells and poo poo.

EDIT: vvvvv if it helps, FFV is also like the best FF game.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 4, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
SA seems to be really fond of 9, and while I love it myself, I don't think it's quite top tier for an FF game. It's close, though.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

A lot of the more... intelligent places on the internet seems to hold FFIX in the highest regard for the series. It's not only SA.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

SA seems to be really fond of 9, and while I love it myself, I don't think it's quite top tier for an FF game. It's close, though.

It's a general love for the game that has only increased over the years after the doldrums of Final Fantasy came out post-FFX-2.

Quiet Monsters
Nov 5, 2009

...and yet I feel that the most real home I'll ever have is the space where our roads merged and traveled along together... for a time.
If I recall, the cannon in Junon is called the Sister Ray, right? Do you think they might be referencing a certain Velvet Underground song of the same name?

If so, that's a new reason to make FF7 my favorite final fantasy.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Quiet Monsters posted:

If I recall, the cannon in Junon is called the Sister Ray, right? Do you think they might be referencing a certain Velvet Underground song of the same name?

Huh. Velvet Underground keeps popping up in the weirdest places. I went to college with Sterling Morrison's son.

Quiet Monsters
Nov 5, 2009

...and yet I feel that the most real home I'll ever have is the space where our roads merged and traveled along together... for a time.
Well, there are My Bloody Valentine references in one section of Midgar. Maybe the FF7 team were big fans of noise rock.

Quiet Monsters fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 5, 2011

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
FFIX is fine, but I don't see it as some sort of holy grail of FF games that all others should aspire to be. I can see why people like it, as it seemed to go back to the roots of Final Fantasy which many people were nostalgic for, but when I played it I just felt very bored by both the battles and characters. When the LP started I tried to focus on it and give it another chance but I didn't feel any different.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really get the appeal of My Bloody Valentine, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Adus posted:

FFIX is fine, but I don't see it as some sort of holy grail of FF games that all others should aspire to be. I can see why people like it, as it seemed to go back to the roots of Final Fantasy which many people were nostalgic for, but when I played it I just felt very bored by both the battles and characters. When the LP started I tried to focus on it and give it another chance but I didn't feel any different.

It's very unkind to completionists, in a Nier sort of way. I think you're really just supposed to breeze through it and not give a gently caress about anything along the way. What, Dagger just got her trance and there's nothing to use it on? Whatever. You miss that sword and now Steiner can't learn Armor Break? Tha's coo'.

Really, the only things I can think of that would really improve FFIX would be to make its battles snappier, get rid of Trance (because what the gently caress), and make like half the skills actually do something useful. Seriously, look at Zidane or Freya's skillsets and tell me you'll ever use any of that.

I like FFVII better and I can still think of loads more things to improve about it (although that might be because I like it so much).

• Locked thread