Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
/prays to RNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

resistentialism posted:

Does the same go for archery?

For Archery...I think skill in Bow-user affects where you hit, but Archery affects how likely you are to hit. If you notice, sometimes (or quite often) an archer will shoot and the arrow will fly at an angle and never even get close to the enemy. I believe Archery reduces the angle of error.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Knew I should've taken a shield.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey Jazzimus...I have one teeny tiny request for the betting interface. When looking at the match bets view, there's a lot of noise in the form of 0.00 dorfbux. Could you maybe make that text dark grey, black, or even just remove it altogether in that case? Otherwise, it's hard to get a feel for the bets on a fight without carefully reading each and every bet, and the associated amount.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

Hey Jazzimus...I have one teeny tiny request for the betting interface. When looking at the match bets view, there's a lot of noise in the form of 0.00 dorfbux. Could you maybe make that text dark grey, black, or even just remove it altogether in that case? Otherwise, it's hard to get a feel for the bets on a fight without carefully reading each and every bet, and the associated amount.

Sure, that's easy enough. I've gone ahead and done it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome, thanks! Much easier to scan over now. :)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

resistentialism posted:

Does the same go for archery?

I don't believe so, though archery is probably still worth investing in. Every shot is absolutely vital as a ranged gladiator.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't believe so, though archery is probably still worth investing in. Every shot is absolutely vital as a ranged gladiator.
In all honesty I'd say it wouldn't be a bad plan, if you were going ranged, to put points only in your weapon and archery skill.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

:pwn: Those are certainly fights alright.

Amazing.
Funnily enough that went exactly to plan. My plan was armour everything except my arms hoping that anybody too big to kill by sword would cripple my sword hand and make my snake man more likely to bite.

And the build works!
... against a naked gremlin.

What did you spend all those points on maugrim?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Vox Nihili posted:

I actually have to say that Krysmphoenix seems to be right on this one. Trying to shoot without archery seems to make shots go far wide.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Hope you guys will indulge a dumb question, how do you name units in the arena? I can't seem to do through the interface.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bozikek posted:

Hope you guys will indulge a dumb question, how do you name units in the arena? I can't seem to do through the interface.

I don't think you can. As far as I know, Vox just find-replaces "Dwarf 1" with the guy's name.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I believe Vox just does a find/replace on the log after the fight.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm sure there is some memory foolery possible, but not worth it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Bozikek posted:

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm sure there is some memory foolery possible, but not worth it.

There sure is!

If you wanted to, you could copy the base creature from the raws, paste it in again, and change its name in all the relevant fields from "gremlin" to "maugrim" or whatever.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

I actually have to say that Krysmphoenix seems to be right on this one. Trying to shoot without archery seems to make shots go far wide.

Yeah, that is why I think it's worth investing points into. But the question was about opportunity-targeting of individual parts and such, which I believe Toady said does not yet apply to any ranged attacks.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dr Solway Garr posted:

What did you spend all those points on maugrim?

Fighting, Swordsmanship and (especially) Dodge.

Most small critter builds that stand half a chance are based on not getting hit before you can score a good one on your opponent. Once you get into the charge/knockdown loop, all the armour in the world won't save you from the eventual lucky headshot or whatever.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Maugrim posted:

Fighting, Swordsmanship and (especially) Dodge.

Most small critter builds that stand half a chance are based on not getting hit before you can score a good one on your opponent. Once you get into the charge/knockdown loop, all the armour in the world won't save you from the eventual lucky headshot or whatever.

As an upcoming gremlin, I spent it all on a steel dagger and level 7 knife and dodge. Nothing in fighting, that is a luxury if I survive this round.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

jackyl posted:

As an upcoming gremlin, I spent it all on a steel dagger and level 7 knife and dodge. Nothing in fighting, that is a luxury if I survive this round.

I think fighting is worth losing a point in the weapons use to increase the chance that he can get that fatal/disabling hit in quicker. Just cutting up his opponent won't help if he doesn't bring him down before getting overwhelmed. Anyway we shall see how it works out for you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bozikek posted:

I think fighting is worth losing a point in the weapons use to increase the chance that he can get that fatal/disabling hit in quicker. Just cutting up his opponent won't help if he doesn't bring him down before getting overwhelmed. Anyway we shall see how it works out for you.

The main priority as a little guy is getting your weapon skill 2-3 levels higher than your opponent's weapon skill, or their dodging/shield if they have a bunch of that. At that point, you can hit them fairly consistently, and some fighting skill will probably pay higher dividends than even greater weapon skill.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Maugrim posted:

Once you get into the charge/knockdown loop, all the armour in the world won't save you from the eventual lucky headshot or whatever.

Not to mention that even Copper goes through Gremlin Steel.

yatzik
Apr 2, 2011

Not even a teensy bit of killing?
I just chime in to wish the little guys and ladies best of possible luck in this battle with prevailing forces of teeth and feet. I just hope my fighter at least chops some part of her adversary off. And if not, then I made some dwarfcoins betting on that adversary, perhaps.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Here's what may be a silly question;

How much trouble would it be to modify attributes/raws/memory to allow for permanent injuries through-out a tourney? Not as in, say, if you loose a foot, you're done a foot. I don't think DF just allows you to magic someones foot off, but just a minor stat penalty or somesuch?

It probably wouldn't make for very fun gameplay in a lot of cases, and there would be an excellent chance of one large fighter coming through relatively unscathed and ruining the final rounds, but it's something I've been thinking about.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Orv posted:

Here's what may be a silly question;

How much trouble would it be to modify attributes/raws/memory to allow for permanent injuries through-out a tourney? Not as in, say, if you loose a foot, you're done a foot. I don't think DF just allows you to magic someones foot off, but just a minor stat penalty or somesuch?

It probably wouldn't make for very fun gameplay in a lot of cases, and there would be an excellent chance of one large fighter coming through relatively unscathed and ruining the final rounds, but it's something I've been thinking about.

It would be prohibitively time-consuming. I mean, it would be easy to set up versions of creatures with lower attribute levels, but keeping track of all the extra information and getting characters made properly with another layer of stuff would introduce more errors and longer wait times.

That said, it's an interesting idea, but I also don't want to punish the people who just barely come out on top in the type of tournament I'm using.

I will have time to run a big batch of matches tomorrow, by the way, so look out for an update.

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

That said, it's an interesting idea, but I also don't want to punish the people who just barely come out on top in the type of tournament I'm using.

Even if you didn't mind that part, that idea seems like it would need a drastically different balance points wise - past the initial round, with the current system persistent injuries would probably heavily favor the really small creatures that are more likely to be doomed if they take a major injury to begin with.

Not wanting to punish the people who barely come out on top of the close and entertaining matches is a pretty big thing though, both because of how random the fights are, and because encouraging people to use what little control they have to make matches end fast to avoid injuries seems kinda counterproductive for entertainment purposes. Sure a few bowmen and pure weapon + attack skill builds are fun to see, but a tournament where that was the general rule seems like it would get boring.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Vox Nihili posted:

so look out for an update.

This still coming tonight, Vox?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shhh you'll interrupt his train of thought!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

This still coming tonight, Vox?

Well I ended up spending my Saturday night out drinking instead of running dwarf combat simulations. Tragic, really.

Doing the matches now though, so no worries.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If only you had gone to a bar that happened to have some kind of bearded midget amateur boxing league. You could have taken cell phone pictures while you drank and we'd have all been super impressed by your new amazing graphics pack for the fights.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Sir Hiss better beat some rear end.

Edit before Vox updates:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 8, 2011

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Hey, rickvoid, I'm calling you out!

You have more money to spend. Too chicken to place more than 1000 on an aptly-named fighter?

There's a big, big pot of money at stake on Dies Horribly... don't you want MORE of it?

You better make a bigger bet.

...unless you're too afraid.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches Eleven Through Thirteen:siren:

Match Eleven, Robin Walker the Thrice Damned (GreenMarine) vs. Sir Hiss (Spermy Smurf)

Robin Walker the Thrice Damned is a dwarf with a long name and a suit of silver equipment, including a silver battleaxe and a full-body set of armor. He also has an oak shield. Sir Hiss the serpent man takes a simpler approach: He carries a steel battleaxe and oak shield, but does not bother with a single stitch of armor. It looks like the serpent man is favored here based on equipment alone- let's see how it goes!

The fighters take their positions, and the match begins! Sir Hiss, unburdened by heavy armor and naturally somewhat quicker than a dwarf, slithers forward and immediately hacks at Robin Walker! The dwarf leaps away, avoiding the heavy axehead, but is caught in the lip by a quick follow-up thrust of the weapon's pommel- more of an insult than a real strike! After that, a rapid-fire series of strikes, blocks, parries, and dodges takes place, and for several moments neither fighter can gain an advantage! Suddenly, the undersized but muscular Sir Hiss charges at his opponent! Robin Walker braces for the impact, and holds his ground well, knocking the serpent man to the ground while maintaining his footing- but what's this? It seems in his haste to avoid being knocked down, Robin failed to intercept Sir Hiss's slash, which managed to cleave off the dwarf's weapon hand completely!

Soon, Sir Hiss is back on his tail and on the assault, slashing right, left, and center at his maimed target. To his credit, Robin Walker does well in blocking strike after strike, suffering only a single additional wound to his lower arm after many attacks! But eventually his luck runs out as a low sweep of Sir Hiss's axe takes off his foot.

Even from the ground, weapon hand long gone, foot sliced off, shield arm wounded, Robin Walker blocks several more strikes, attempting whatever counters he can with his shield. Finally, though, the valiant dwarf bleeds out, and Sir Hiss eagerly claims the honor of being the first non-ranged underdog to take a match!

Combat Log

I wonder if dwarves have some sort of innate defensive combat bonus. Even with his lower skill and wounds, Robin Walker was nearly untouchable.

Match Twelve, Dost (yatzik) vs. Hugh Mann (burginator)

Dost the dark gnome is an extremely well-armed gladiator. She carries two silver whips and a full set of maximally-layered copper armor. She is up against Hugh Mann, a human combatant with a steel long sword and little else. Dost's weighty copper armor seems unlikely to blunt Hugh's expensive steel weaponry- does the gnome even stand a chance??

And we're underway! Dost strikes first, but misses wide- Hugh's counter is wide, as well! Now Hugh charges, landing a vicious gash on Dost's left arm on the way! The gnome hits the ground like a soggy tomato, and Hugh is primed to press his advantage!

His very next swing hack's off Dost's left arm in its entirety! A quick slash to the gnome's right arm disables the appendage completely, leaving Dost without the ability to use either of her whips. This match is essentially over, folks. Another stab to the right arm- Dost's armor is just tough enough to keep her arm from being taken off completely, but not effective enough to actually protect the limb in a meaningful fashion. Now Dost is back on her feet- but for what? She jumps aside as Hugh charges- if only she'd thought to do so for his first charge!

Hugh takes down the gnome once more, stabbing her in the belly on the way. He brings down his sword in a massive, killing blow, but Dost scrambles away just in time to avoid the attack- only to collapse where she lands, the last of her blood shaken out of her several wounds. Hugh Mann is victorious!

Combat Log

Note: This fight is a textbook case of over-equipping a round 1 gladiator. Dost just couldn't put together a big enough skill advantage to compete in any meaningful way against a large foe, as her points were spent on an excessive amount of armor, including 2 caps, a helm, breast plate, mail, greaves, high boots, and gauntlets.

Match Thirteen, Grumbletown Snucklebuckets (Rip_Van_Winkle) vs. The Badgerconda (Strom Cuzewon)

Grumbletown Snucklebuckets, a shamefully-named human warrior, carries an iron long sword and is clad in copper helm, mail shirt, greaves, and high boots. The Badgerconda is a serpent man gladiator with a copper whip, iron scourge, copper helm, iron breast plate, and some assorted leather protection. Will The Badgerconda's dual-weapon build be successful against his extremely generic opponent?

The match begins with a flurry of parried strikes, sword clashing against taught whip with great claps of noise! The Badgerconda scores the first hit during a wild charge, landing a bruising strike to Grumbletown's unarmored arm! The two collide with great force, and though both bounce back to their original positions, the human warrior is clearly stunned by the impact! The Badgerconda smashes the human's off-hand with a devastating lash of his whip before he can recover, but Grumbletown fights on!

After a few more traded blows, it's Grumble's turn to take the offensive! The human charges, bringing down the serpent man but failing to knock him to the ground with sufficient force so as to make an opening. The Badgerconda fights well from a prone position, and even succeeds in landing a few inconsequential hits. Soon, though, the two are back on level footing, and the serpent man quickly deals Grumbletown another heavy crack, this time breaking the bones in his forearm! The Badgerconda appears to be in control now, pressing forward with reckless attacks, largely favoring his copper whip over his iron scourge. He manages to bring both combatants to the ground at one point, stunning himself in the process, but escapes the ordeal without any harm.

Another blow to Grumbletown's arm knocks bone fragments through the warrior's elbow, and the human rapidly deflates at this point. Shortly after he is disarmed, and The Badgerconda has a field day. Eventually Grumbletown faints from the pain of dozens of injuries, and The Badgerconda targets his opponent's head- only to be turned away by his copper helm! (Note: repeated, identical actions do not show up in the battle logs, but The Badgerconda ultimately struck Grumbletown in the head over 40 times) Finally, one of his strikes lands with enough force to break Grumbletown's neck even through his helmet. The human wakes up after this and attempts to flail at his serpent man tormentor however he can, but an injection of paralyzing venom puts an end to that. The Badgerconda then shakes his foe around by the arm for some time before he decides that the human is probably completely dead, then the serpent man slithers out of the ring, the second of his kind to have taken down a larger foe!

Combat Log

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

VladTheEater posted:

Hey, rickvoid, I'm calling you out!

You have more money to spend. Too chicken to place more than 1000 on an aptly-named fighter?

There's a big, big pot of money at stake on Dies Horribly... don't you want MORE of it?

You better make a bigger bet.

...unless you're too afraid.

Your fight is next, rickvoid!

TICK TICK, your time is running out...

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Serpentman fighters have now won three consecutive matches!

Next up: rickvoid's Dies Horribly vs. jigokuman's Gamefan in the most heavily wagered one-on-one fight of the tournament thus far, with 9,726 dorfbux riding on it! And it's not too late to place a bet, so the pot could easily be well over 10,000 by the time the match is held!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 8, 2011

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Snakemen are really looking up this tournament. I'm happy to see this, next to Antwomen, they are my favorite.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Sort of surprised Robin Walker didn't show up naked except for an absurd number of hats. Go serpentmen! Wooooooo!

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

VladTheEater's Gamefan

*cough* notmyfighterjustbettingalotonhim *cough*

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Gamefan is shrouded in mystery. Is he a yeti? Is he even a he? Who really owns him? Can he be owned? Is he actually Gamepro?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Nice, the Snakemen came away victorious. Can't wait to see the Dies Horribly fight, I'm just waiting for my fight. Eleven matches away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yatzik
Apr 2, 2011

Not even a teensy bit of killing?
Yay for all the snakepeople. Gnomes have it much too tough. Well, at least 'betting on the opponent' strategy pays off.

• Locked thread