Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Looks 530 pitch to me. As far as "proper care," I'm all set to go 100% chainsaw bar oil for the life of this chain. Also, an RK chain and sprocket kit is $218, but buying sprockets and a DID chain separately is $238. Is the DID worth $20, or am I getting ripped off on the kit? I can't find an RK chain cheaper alone.

The rest of this post is getting way, way too long. I'm taking it over to the questions thread.

What's the price breakdown? Sprockets/RK/DID individually? That all sounds way too expensive. What replacement sprockets are you looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

What's the price breakdown? Sprockets/RK/DID individually? That all sounds way too expensive. What replacement sprockets are you looking at?

DID 530VM: 150.99 Renthal 530 rear: 63.99, front: 23.99.
RK Kit: $218; OEM replacement, although it lists a 112-link chain.

Edit: I can maybe knock some individual prices down by going to different sites, but both of these options include free shipping for the order, which can add up fast by getting the three parts from three places.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 4, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Well my new ECU/CDI came today. $60, arrived two days after I ordered it, and came out of the ups box smelling like girls' hair. It also seems to have fixed the problem, but I'm not gonna be positive until a few days of hot traffic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Moved.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 4, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the walkin dude posted:

Half of my bike issues would be resolved if I had a garage. A warm, comfortable place to work in with easy access to everything instead of a oil-stained, small and dim carport or environmentally busy and time-limited street.

Tell me about it. When I make my first billion I'll build a gigantic warehouse full of nice tools free to use for all motorcyclists who need space.

In other news I ordered the very first (new) Holeshot high-mount exhaust for my Gen 1 today. Dale Walker started production again and I got one before anyone else :cool: Dale is a cool rear end dude, talks to you personally on the phone when you order and everything.

(this but on the curvy model)

So, so sexy.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

DID 530VM: 150.99 Renthal 530 rear: 63.99, front: 23.99.
RK Kit: $218; OEM replacement, although it lists a 112-link chain.

Edit: I can maybe knock some individual prices down by going to different sites, but both of these options include free shipping for the order, which can add up fast by getting the three parts from three places.

A lot of websites usually do combos of chain/sprockets and are under 200$ for a good X ring chain, 238$ is pretty high.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1063 an example. Free shipping too.

Penguin of Agony
Aug 3, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Z3n posted:

RK makes an XSO-Ring chain that's basically the same thing as the DID X-Ring and is around ~50% of the price. Lasts the same, as far as I've been able to see. I've used most of the chain brands out there, and as long as you're running an X ring chain, I haven't been able to produce any significant differences in running life with proper care.

What I've seen of test data for chains the DID outperforms the RK chain pretty much in tensile strength (at the cost of a little weight). None of them performed as Tsubaki or EK, but that should be expected. On a price/performance scale I think it's pretty hard to beat DID at the moment. Could be where I live, but I've never seen RK X-ring chains at half the price of DIDs.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Penguin of Agony posted:

What I've seen of test data for chains the DID outperforms the RK chain pretty much in tensile strength (at the cost of a little weight). None of them performed as Tsubaki or EK, but that should be expected. On a price/performance scale I think it's pretty hard to beat DID at the moment. Could be where I live, but I've never seen RK X-ring chains at half the price of DIDs.

Source? I've heard numerous times that there isn't any appreciable difference between RKs and DIDs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Penguin of Agony posted:

I paid $56 for my last RK X-ring chain through SAC. Admittedly, it was a shorter chain in 520 and I just swung by the warehouse and picked it up, but even when I've needed 530s it's never been over $75. Prices change, obviously, but when a DID X-ring chain is always over $100, I have difficulty justifying it.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Penguin of Agony posted:

In that case you'll need some polyeurethane adhesive sealant. Loctite, 3M and Sika all makes products that'll repair your tear.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Penguin of Agony posted:

Regarding the O-rings

Searching for O-rings sucks. No luck yet.

Penguin of Agony
Aug 3, 2011

by Ozmaugh

makka-setan posted:

Searching for O-rings sucks. No luck yet.

Call a Suzuki dealer. I'm pretty sure he won't rape you for original intake O-rings for a GSX.

Price should be around $5 including shipping.

O-rings are not just O-rings. What you need is O-rings in the correct diameter, thickness, tolerances and not least the correct material. Anything but Viton O-rings will burn or get brittle pretty quick.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Penguin of Agony posted:

Call a Suzuki dealer. I'm pretty sure he won't rape you for original intake O-rings for a GSX.

I went to a local Suzuki dealer but they didn't even have my bike in their database. They sort of recognized the model number and guessed it had been removed a few years ago from lack of parts and demand thereof. They had a bunch of o-rings but only sorted by model. They couldn't get 30mm ones without searching through their storage room, opening all the bags and measuring the o-rings manually.

I have sent a request to a shop that specializes in old bike parts, hoping for better luck there :)

I also noticed that my left fork leg is leaking oil like Deepwater Horizon. +1 on the to-do list!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Makka-setan, what bike do you have again? I had good results finding orings here - http://z1enterprises.com/ (they have and carb boots too) and here - http://www.cycleorings.com

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
It's a Suzuki GSX-400 FWS. Info.

What makes it difficult is that it uses a kind of dual-barrel carbs which makes it drat near impossible to switch out the carbs for more common replacements.

cycleorings seems to have 30mm rings. I'll check them out, thanks!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

makka-setan posted:

It's a Suzuki GSX-400 FWS. Info.

What makes it difficult is that it uses a kind of dual-barrel carbs which makes it drat near impossible to switch out the carbs for more common replacements.

cycleorings seems to have 30mm rings. I'll check them out, thanks!

Oh awesome, I'm glad to hear that. The guy running the site is a GS enthusiast, I stumbled across the page over on the thegsresources.com back when I had my GS850. I purchased my 38mm rings from Cycleorings, they arrived pretty quickly and worked perfectly. I got the replacement allen head screws too - after having to use an impact driver and a chisel to get the carb rack off, it was nice to have shiny new bolts all ready to go.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Been a long time coming but the XL1200S finally runs right. It's great too, because it's frighteningly fast for what it is. I had to really mess with the back pressure on the pipes to get it right though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What'd you end up doing to it? Mods? Tuning?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

What'd you end up doing to it? Mods? Tuning?

The engine got XB-12 heads that are ported. To account for the more revs I wanted I got roller rockers, light weight push rods, and meaner springs.

I have more aggressive top end cams.

The cylinder intake was increased 6mm, with a similar increase in carb bore size (with a new carb).

The exhaust is a 2-2 high pipe configuration similar to the XR-750 of yesteryear. It has adjustable baffling to play with back pressure. The stock configuration, though pleasently dead quiet was not flowing well enough for the engine, so I had to fiddle a lot.

I have a bullshit screamin' eagle ignition that came with the stock XL1200S which gives me 7200 RPMs. It's like hitting a brick wall. My cams are designed for more RPM's. I need to install my new ignition to get up to 8500.

In the end, it's still quite quiet, and the butt dyno tells me it's faster than my aircooled (93) GSX-R 750, so I'm quite happy.

Keep in mind I have the S model so I have cartridge forks and piggy back gas shocks. I'm now a relative pro at fork and trip swaps but not sure I need to go there.

I have much bigger front brakes but I'm still unclear where I want to go style wise. I think I've dropped the desire to go 17" wheels for sportyness and attack the vintage racer look like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/5943025844_d3d2aab951_b.jpg

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Do you need to do any other mods to keep it reliable at 8500? Post a pic of it all said and done!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took it to the shop to get the rear tire fixed, finally.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

VTNewb posted:

The engine got XB-12 heads that are ported. To account for the more revs I wanted I got roller rockers, light weight push rods, and meaner springs.

I have more aggressive top end cams.

The cylinder intake was increased 6mm, with a similar increase in carb bore size (with a new carb).

The exhaust is a 2-2 high pipe configuration similar to the XR-750 of yesteryear. It has adjustable baffling to play with back pressure. The stock configuration, though pleasently dead quiet was not flowing well enough for the engine, so I had to fiddle a lot.

I have a bullshit screamin' eagle ignition that came with the stock XL1200S which gives me 7200 RPMs. It's like hitting a brick wall. My cams are designed for more RPM's. I need to install my new ignition to get up to 8500.

In the end, it's still quite quiet, and the butt dyno tells me it's faster than my aircooled (93) GSX-R 750, so I'm quite happy.

Keep in mind I have the S model so I have cartridge forks and piggy back gas shocks. I'm now a relative pro at fork and trip swaps but not sure I need to go there.

I have much bigger front brakes but I'm still unclear where I want to go style wise. I think I've dropped the desire to go 17" wheels for sportyness and attack the vintage racer look like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/5943025844_d3d2aab951_b.jpg

What the hell does a Sportster sound like at 8,500? I must know! Post a clip!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Spent 4 hours on what should have been a 2-hour job at most, hunting for a 14mm allen wrench or socket for my front axle. Checked Schucks, Home Depot and Lowes before I finally went to Sears and got seriously lucky, finding a single 14mm allen socket just sitting on the bottom shelf underneath all the other sockets, no tag or anything. Finally got home, had a bitch of a time loosening the axle cinching bolts, then finally got the tire off and had it switched out with a new Metzler M5.

At least the rafters held out.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Hanging a Duc from old rafters: AI.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not my bike, but the one I was working on today:

Goddamn, getting your money out of those pads.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

AncientTV posted:

Hanging a Duc from old rafters: AI.

The average pullout strength into sidegrain are well above the weight of something like a motorcycle

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I removed my seat to have the 10-year-old splitting and tape-covered vinyl replaced with a seamless hunk of marine-grade stuff. Storms are forecast for the next few days and I hope to have it finished by the time the weather turns nice again.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
pull-out wasn't so much the concern as that old 2x4 just snapping. It seemed to hold just fine once weight was on, so I didn't worry about it anymore.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Slim Pickens posted:

Spent 4 hours on what should have been a 2-hour job at most, hunting for a 14mm allen wrench or socket for my front axle. Checked Schucks, Home Depot and Lowes before I finally went to Sears and got seriously lucky, finding a single 14mm allen socket just sitting on the bottom shelf underneath all the other sockets, no tag or anything. Finally got home, had a bitch of a time loosening the axle cinching bolts, then finally got the tire off and had it switched out with a new Metzler M5.

At least the rafters held out.

I had the same problem finding a 12mm socket when I took my front wheel off, except Sears didn't have it either. Ended up borrowing one from the motorcycle shop I used then found one at Harbor Freight later. Why hex sockets that size are so uncommon I have no idea.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

Not my bike, but the one I was working on today:

Goddamn, getting your money out of those pads.

The real revelation here is that Trader Joe's has a house brand of sparkling water. I'm off to buy a case, as long as it's fair trade water...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

The real revelation here is that Trader Joe's has a house brand of sparkling water. I'm off to buy a case, as long as it's fair trade water...

It's very potent stuff, and if it's your thing, they make flavored ones too. Good for breaking up the monotony of endless water consumption. :v:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Installed the new rear Battlax BT016 on the Ninja this morning. :woop: No more jarring squared-off-tire sensation while switching from side to side.

Also successfully installed the CRG Arrow mirrors on the same bike last night. It's a truly breathtaking sensation to finally be able to see behind myself.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 5, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a Sportster? :staredog:

Man, I should keep my eyes open for one

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

A 1992+ sportster is a great bike for someone who wants to mess around with riding configuration. The amount of aftermarket parts is enormous.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

A 1992+ sportster is a great bike for someone who wants to mess around with riding configuration. The amount of aftermarket parts is enormous.

One of my dreams is to pick up a ratty sportster for cheap and either give it the Storz treatment, or build it like the one pictured.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Slim Pickens posted:

pull-out wasn't so much the concern as that old 2x4 just snapping. It seemed to hold just fine once weight was on, so I didn't worry about it anymore.

That old 2x4 is under hundreds of pounds of load and is almost certainly overbuilt but yeah, I would've spread the weight out across two beams or something or, better yet, used that non-bearing beam underneath which would've spread the load a bit more (unless that beam was fastened with nails or something)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Braked the poo poo out of the new pads just after it rained. Nearly washed the front out, so that was fun.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That is fantastic! What sort of tank is that? That's one problem with cafe'd Sportsters for me, the tanks never look right.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

VTNewb posted:

Awesome Sporty stuff

Z3n posted:

Do you need to do any other mods to keep it reliable at 8500? Post a pic of it all said and done!

Yes, do tell. I have a 07 Firebolt that I daydream about upping the revs on. It seems to have more left when it hits the ECU cutout.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I built a USB-charger for my bike!

I didn't bother with a 12v cig outlet, I just put the proper connector directly on a car USB charger. I insulated the cig connector and ran a wire through the plastic case. It has two ports that allows 2A total max load. Since I tap directly into the charger plug on the bike it already has a fuse, but that also means that it draws directly from the battery. I would have liked a switched outlet that only comes on when the engine is running, now I'll just have to make sure I don't leave stuff plugged in when I am stopped. That might be a project for another weekend. The plug I used isn't waterproof so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to use it when it's raining, even if the charger itself is in a tank bag or in my pocket. Might fix that someday too.

Total cost 123 SEK ($19).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That is fantastic! What sort of tank is that? That's one problem with cafe'd Sportsters for me, the tanks never look right.

Here's some back story on the green cafe sportster, with links to the build information

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2010/11/17/harley-sportster-cafe-racer.html