Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I can't listen to Atma with that production. 20seconds in and any trace of power is widdled down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I'm looking for some critiques on this "doom" track for lack of a better descriptor. Comparisons could be made to early Swans & Godflesh, maybe, though I've never been a fan.

I mostly want to know about the mixing/mastering and if it strikes you as suitably heavy or good. One thing I am going to change is to make the vocals sit in the mix better. I need to listen to it on more sources.

http://snd.sc/ps26Jw

If you don't want this to monopolize the conversation you can email me at tapesofaneongod@gmail.com

Thanks.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Objurium posted:

Hey sludgey goons, I'm going to be conducting my first interview for https://www.cvltnation.com at the Yob/Dark Castle/Dispirt/Worm Ouroboros show this Saturday. Do any of you have specific questions for any of the bands?

To those of you that have done this kind of stuff before, do you have any tips? Its appreciated :)

Tell Mike he's a great human being.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

cf posted:

I'm looking for some critiques on this "doom" track for lack of a better descriptor. Comparisons could be made to early Swans & Godflesh, maybe, though I've never been a fan.

I mostly want to know about the mixing/mastering and if it strikes you as suitably heavy or good. One thing I am going to change is to make the vocals sit in the mix better. I need to listen to it on more sources.

http://snd.sc/ps26Jw

If you don't want this to monopolize the conversation you can email me at tapesofaneongod@gmail.com

Thanks.

It sounds to me like there's way too much gain on the drums, or maybe just too much gain in general. The heavy hits make my speakers clip like crazy.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
We're gonna release a fairly limited edition cassette of our demo + 4 new songs with Woodrue. Email me at woodrueband at gmail.com if you're interested in acquiring a copy, normal price will be 4€ but I'll make a special deal for goons. This is kind of like a pre-order so please shoot me an email if you're interested so I'll know how many extra cassettes I'll order.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 2, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Cold Day posted:

I can't listen to Atma with that production. 20seconds in and any trace of power is widdled down.

Okay, so it's not just me. I'm pretty disappointed, since the songs themselves are great. I have no idea why they decided to keep the guitar tracks panned slightly off-center instead of hard left and right, and they also needed a boost in the highs to allow some clarity to come through. The drums have a decent sound, and the vocals are alright (though a little too gainy at some points), but all that is negated with the guitars sitting where there should be emptiness for vocals/snare.

For the goons currently recording doom: you'll often have each instrument fighting for space thanks to lower tunings/fuzz pedals and the like, so you want to pay close attention to the stereo spread and good EQ. make a slight dip in the low mids in the GT tracks, and boost a little around 3k. Use that low-mid space for the snare and lower vox, and keep cymbals+higher vox away from the 3k boost.
The tracks may sound weird solo'd, but they'll fit better in the mix.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Objurium posted:

Hey sludgey goons, I'm going to be conducting my first interview for https://www.cvltnation.com

That's cool, do you know any of the cvltnation guys? A band I'm playing with now was written up there recently enough, I know a couple of the writers from local scenes

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
drat - the entire The Atomic Bitchwax discography for $5 (except for The Local Fuzz, understandably).

Anyone listened to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats yet? Their LP "Blood Lust" is sick.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Has anyone here seen Boris live and can comment on their shows?

On another concert note, I'll definitely be there when Weedeater come to Vancouver. Can't wait.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Cometa Rossa posted:

Incoherent mish-mash of all the styles they've played, and this was pre-Smile. Wouldn't go see them again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd be very wary of seeing Boris live, not because I don't like them or anything but from what I've heard, they play at ridiculously loud levels. I'm all for loud as gently caress music but I was at The Dillinger Escape Plan there on Wednesday night and my ears are still hosed like 40 hours later. And I wanna be able to hear music in the future :(

\/\/\/ getting some today.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 5, 2011

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd be very wary of seeing Boris live, not because I don't like them or anything but from what I've heard, they play at ridiculously loud levels. I'm all for loud as gently caress music but I was at The Dillinger Escape Plan there on Wednesday night and my ears are still hosed like 40 hours later. And I wanna be able to hear music in the future :(

Get plugs you doofus.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cometa Rossa posted:

On another concert note, I'll definitely be there when Weedeater come to Vancouver. Can't wait.

I saw them at the first Scion Fest in Atlanta and it was an absolutely amazing show. Incredibly, unbelievably loud, but very good.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Boris is likely real boring at this point.

But I'm only a fan of everything up to smile, and not everything is my favorite at that. I want walls of riffs, and Michio Kurihara solos not dance parts.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Saw Karma to Burn last night. Tight, solid, powerful, no bullshit stoner rock. The openers, Gentlemens' Pistols and Black Spiders played surprisingly not poo poo hard rock too. Met a guy who recognised me from roadburn too which is always nice.

Glad they got back together in any case!

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Incoherent mish-mash of all the styles they've played, and this was pre-Smile. Wouldn't go see them again.

That is interesting because when I went to see them recently they had a very coherent show (although the technical side of things failed them a bit) and they did really well; I would go see them again in a heartbeat.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Seen them twice in Toronto and both shows are perfectly summed up by Dyna Soar's description. I'd see them again, because they do tend to play a lot of the stuff I like, but I'm into most of their back catalogue. Also, agreeing that they're way too loud, but having stood next to the loving speaker at Napalm Death, it really could've been worse. The worst part about a Boris show is that they seem to keep giving their drummer a mic for some reason. So distracting.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

amplifier worship posted:

The worst part about a Boris show is that they seem to keep giving their drummer a mic for some reason. So distracting.

Ugh this. I'm usually all for exuberant "YEAH WOO"s from musicians playing kickass songs, but there's definitely a level where it becomes overdone. They're still a pretty killer live act, and I'd definitely take the opportunity to see them again. Who are they touring with this time?

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
I can't believe people are actually complaining about volume.

Amplifier Warfare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

I can't believe people are actually complaining about volume.

Amplifier Warfare.

It's all fun and games until everyone sounds like they're on helium for a day after a gig :(
Also stoner/doom band members must all be close to deaf, especially the guys in Sleep, Boris and Sunn O)))

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 5, 2011

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Cometa Rossa posted:

Saw them on the Smile tour. First half of set was a speed metal-y mishmash of their mid-period stuff (Pink/Smile/Akuma No Uta), second half was a giant drone jam. They were excellent, tons of energy, enormously loud. Do go, do bring earplugs.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Cometa Rossa posted:

If there is room, see if you can lay on the floor to feel the vibrations. Did this when they did Altar, pretty ridiculous.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's all fun and games until everyone sounds like they're on helium for a day after a gig :(
Also stoner/doom band members must all be close to deaf, especially the guys in Sleep, Boris and Sunn O)))

No poo poo. I've been going to doom / metal shows for a long time, and I expect loud, it's just gotten ridiculous. I wear plugs, of course. At times, it's not just the volume, but the lovely sound. Part of the reason I go is to hear those killer vintage amp tones, but when they're boosted through a PA, vocals distorted beyond recognition, kinda ruins it for me. Sad, really. Sometimes the sound is fine (Melvins), but Shrinebuilder was just absurd.

Or maybe it's just :corsair:

Hell the loudest show I went to was Link Wray right before he died. Man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Planet X posted:

. Part of the reason I go is to hear those killer vintage amp tones, but when they're boosted through a PA, vocals distorted beyond recognition, kinda ruins it for me. Sad, really. Sometimes the sound is fine (Melvins), but Shrinebuilder was just absurd.

I saw Shrinebuilder in a pretty small club in Dublin there in November and the sound was bad enough but it wasn't extremely loud or anything. Almost all the gigs I've been to have had poo poo vocal mixing though (venues in Ireland just suck really), which is probably why I liked Earth so much.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

fozzie dunlop posted:

Ugh this. I'm usually all for exuberant "YEAH WOO"s from musicians playing kickass songs, but there's definitely a level where it becomes overdone. They're still a pretty killer live act, and I'd definitely take the opportunity to see them again. Who are they touring with this time?

The Vancouver show at least, they are billed with Tera Melos and Master Musicians of Bukkake (who opened for Six Organs of Admittance last time I saw them)

Should be good times.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
In Toronto they're playing with Asobi Seksu who are also on on the Detroit, Montreal, Boston, New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Carrboro, Atlanta, and Orlando dates. If that's a good thing, let me know, 'cus I'm not paying stupid ticket prices to watch their drummer shout arbitrarily over developmentally-challenged amplifier levels unless the opener kicks rear end.

e: Really can't stress enough how much ORN stole the show from them when they opened at Lee's. Seriously, you're missing a lot if you haven't had this record for seconds after it was already an appetizer and main course. Just get it, you won't regret the reccomend.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=ORN+teeth+knowing

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 6, 2011

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
Is there a Spotify collaboration yet? Here's my playlist, always looking to add:

http://open.spotify.com/user/tim.deschene/playlist/7D9md6rUZ2Izhw6kIj58WY

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Not a huge surprise but pretty nice news, Scott Reeder is replacing Oliveri for Kyuss Lives.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Worked at the Thrones/Torche/Big Business show last night. The amount of sludge coming from that venue was insane.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
I think this thread might like my new album. It's pretty sludgey, and I feel I should call attention to it here because less than 30 people have ever heard it all the way through. It's vmod - a hundred cows mooin'

The SA thread

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Just got back from YOB/Dark Castle/Of the Horizon last night in Los Angeles.. I was drat impressed. Every band put on a good show, but the mic got hosed after the first act and Dark Castle/YOB had really low volume for the vocals. Music was goddamn excellent, though.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

Not a huge surprise but pretty nice news, Scott Reeder is replacing Oliveri for Kyuss Lives.

gently caress yes. I don't have a problem with Oliveri but I've always preferred Reeder so I was hoping this would happen when he got arrested not along ago.

...I don't mean that to sound as horrible as it does.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Worked at the Thrones/Torche/Big Business show last night. The amount of sludge coming from that venue was insane.

I bet. Hows Big Biz sound these days? I liked Waterworks and the first EP, and loved what they did with The Melvins on Senile Animal, but kinda lost them when they got that Japanese guy on guitar or whatever. Was it the two of them or did they have other members?

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The amount of sludge coming from that venue was insane.

You know, this reminds me that I've been thinking about who the hell decided to go ahead and call this genre "sludge". I mean, it's a pretty apt name for dirty-sounding music that sounds like it's oozing from the speakers, but I've never seen an explanation about it at all.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Crimsonjewfro posted:

You know, this reminds me that I've been thinking about who the hell decided to go ahead and call this genre "sludge". I mean, it's a pretty apt name for dirty-sounding music that sounds like it's oozing from the speakers, but I've never seen an explanation about it at all.

We could always go with the Beavis and Butthead descriptor: "this music is slow and fat"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Music magazines called Crowbar doomcore at first. I am glad it didn't catch on.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I just realized that I haven't plugged my favourite local sludge band in this new thread. What better time than now, since I just picked up their new EP to complete my collection of all their vinyl?

Fans of Bongzilla, Cavity, Noothgrush and other sludgy doom bands should enjoy Haggatha a lot. Their stuff mostly proceeds at a glacial pace, but this leaves them free to do a lot of subtle stuff with time signature shifts. Their first mega-EP was recorded as a five-piece, but their subsequent releases were done as a quartet with none other than Matt Wood of Pride Tiger (and now Bison B.C. as well) on drums. They have a bandcamp site where you can stream lower quality versions of all their stuff, but the records sound amazing, especially the 180 gram LP. Go and see them live if you ever get the chance; I've seen them in a tiny skateboard shop a couple times and both shows were some of the most intense I've ever experienced.

Little girls love them too!

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 8, 2011

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

I just realized that I haven't plugged my favourite local sludge band in this new thread. What better time than now, since I just picked up their new EP to complete my collection of all their vinyl?

Bought 'em both, haven't listened to them yet though. Even without hearing, I want those shiny shiny vinyls...

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Houseplant posted:

Just got back from YOB/Dark Castle/Of the Horizon last night in Los Angeles.. I was drat impressed. Every band put on a good show, but the mic got hosed after the first act and Dark Castle/YOB had really low volume for the vocals. Music was goddamn excellent, though.

That bassist for Of the Horizon... god drat I want her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevesy
Aug 6, 2011

BYAAAAH
I've seen Boris twice, and I swear I've lost hearing from both shows. I was using earplugs too.

My favorite stoner rock song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSA3NXM-VTM

I almost had the chance to see them live too. I wonder if they use druid outfits live as well.