Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Goo, is there any chance of a Logitech mechanically-actuated keyboard in the future?

Goo posted:

I cannot comment on things like that unless we have officially announced them.

The dude says this in almost every post he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Dude has said a million times that he can't say anything about products that haven't been officially announced.

efb

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Yeah, I do have to say that a lot, but I interpret the questions as additional requests for the product to be made so it's really not a problem. Dominoes, I keep very close tabs on both this and the keyboard megathread, so please don't feel that your opinions are not heard. If you have specific commentary on keyboards or desire specific features (or if you want to talk about the G13, Copper Vein), that would be the place to go. I participate less there but I am always watching.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
How to I bind the side buttons on my g500 to mouse4 and mouse5 (and mouse6)? I set them as Back/Forward and now they don't work in games that bind things to Mouse4 and Mouse5 keys. Can I just uninstall setpoint? Will that fix it?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Back and forward in SetPoint are defined as Alt-left arrow and Alt-right arrow. Set them to "generic button" or whatever the similar nomenclature in your version of SetPoint is. This will make them behave as a standard button 4/5 instead.

Mouse6+ do not actually exist in Windows. Mice and programs that support this naming convention are typically programmed to specifically work together. I am thinking in particular of wow and the wow mouse.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Is there any way to get application detection working somewhat reliably for the G700?

I currently have it set for 3 different profiles, one for firefox, one for games and one for everything else and the application detection frequently fails to detect an application switch, so the wrong commands get sent to the current program (e.g. firefox shortcuts being sent to whatever game I'm playing). Randomly switching between applications fixes it, but it's quite annoying to have to alt-tab in and out of a game just to get it working.

I never had any such problems with my old MX1000 with SetPoint 4.80 and uberoptions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The left click on my Logitech mouse (not sure what model, but PID LZ515RD is on the receiver) is starting to give out on me, and with 3+ years of use I think it's time for a new one. I've been spoiled by my current mouse's back/forward buttons, and looking around Logitech's site the only one I can find that fits such criteria is the M510. It looks really nice and $40 is just high enough for my spending comfort zone. Anyone used this mouse before? Do retail stores carry this one or would I have to order it?

Also, what options are out there for mouse storage? I think my clicking problem stems from carrying my mouse to/from the lab every day and getting jostled around in my backpack. If there's something like a case/pouch for computer mice I could be talked into getting it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of looking for a new mouse. I've had a 1st generation G5 for a long time and absolutely love it and I was disappointed to see that the newer mice offered by Logitech feel a lot 'cheaper'. My big complaint is in Mouse 4/Mouse 5 buttons. When you hit the side buttons on a G5, there is some real substance to those buttons; they feel rock solid. The newer ones feel like hollow plastic and don't really have the same kind of solid, consistent feedback that the G5 buttons did. I still have yet to find a mouse with the (potential) weight of a G5 and the straight up nice workmanship of a G5 and am just considering upgrading to a 2nd gen G5 (The blue one!) and hoping that the blue one lasts forever.

Are there any modern heavy laser mice out there that have really solid, consistent buttons like my precious G5?

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
I just switched from a G5 to a G9x and I like it a lot, although I'm not convinced the form factor is actually better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just checking out some reviews for the updated Razor Imperator. I have the original one, and love it. However the rubberised sides on the newer version and a couple of other things make me tempted to retire my current Imperator to another computer. So tempting.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Whatever happened to Func, anyway? I'd love a new Archetype 1030 pad, but their webstore's been down for at least two years and only a handful of Amazon sellers seem to have any.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm kind of looking for a new mouse. I've had a 1st generation G5 for a long time and absolutely love it and I was disappointed to see that the newer mice offered by Logitech feel a lot 'cheaper'. My big complaint is in Mouse 4/Mouse 5 buttons. When you hit the side buttons on a G5, there is some real substance to those buttons; they feel rock solid. The newer ones feel like hollow plastic and don't really have the same kind of solid, consistent feedback that the G5 buttons did. I still have yet to find a mouse with the (potential) weight of a G5 and the straight up nice workmanship of a G5 and am just considering upgrading to a 2nd gen G5 (The blue one!) and hoping that the blue one lasts forever.

Are there any modern heavy laser mice out there that have really solid, consistent buttons like my precious G5?

I went from an original G5 (the one with only a single shoulder button) to a later G5 to a G500 and to be honest I don't find the feel of the G500 buttons any worse than the G5s (well the third shoulder button in the middle is but I just don't use it).

Actually my second (blue) G5 was probably the worst of the bunch for button feel (no idea why).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

dissss posted:

I went from an original G5 (the one with only a single shoulder button) to a later G5 to a G500 and to be honest I don't find the feel of the G500 buttons any worse than the G5s (well the third shoulder button in the middle is but I just don't use it).

Actually my second (blue) G5 was probably the worst of the bunch for button feel (no idea why).

I would tend to agree with this, having gone from an MX518->G5->G500

God I missed the forward button on my G5 (did they add this back later?), that's mostly why I got a 500.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

C-Euro posted:

The left click on my Logitech mouse (not sure what model, but PID LZ515RD is on the receiver) is starting to give out on me, and with 3+ years of use I think it's time for a new one.

In the meantime, if it starts doing that thing where it double clicks instead of single, which a lot of Logitech mice seem to, pick it up and slap the bottom of it with your hand, fairly hard. It should be ok for a while after.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

In the meantime, if it starts doing that thing where it double clicks instead of single, which a lot of Logitech mice seem to, pick it up and slap the bottom of it with your hand, fairly hard. It should be ok for a while after.

My new-ish G500 has been doing this a lot lately, it seems to get stuck in a mode where it wants to double click every 2nd or 3rd click.

The button feels absolutely perfect, and to me it seemed like a strange software issue. I've not bothered to get a replacement since I'm not sure it will help, but maybe I'll look into it.

What are the characteristics of the double-click issue that you allude to? Should I notice something physical about the mouse w/r/t the buttons feeling mushy or anything?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

I just did this and by Jove it IS better :monocle: Thanks.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Linux Nazi posted:

My new-ish G500 has been doing this a lot lately, it seems to get stuck in a mode where it wants to double click every 2nd or 3rd click.

The button feels absolutely perfect, and to me it seemed like a strange software issue. I've not bothered to get a replacement since I'm not sure it will help, but maybe I'll look into it.

What are the characteristics of the double-click issue that you allude to? Should I notice something physical about the mouse w/r/t the buttons feeling mushy or anything?

Nothing feels different, just sometimes when you click, it sends a double instead of a single. I have no idea why slapping it works, maybe it just needs the punishment?

Try it and see if it fixes it.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Are there any Logitech wireless mice that don't work on 2.4GHz?
I'm currently using a Desktop Wave Pro and it is appalling. I get constant drops, laggy response and button presses just completely lost. The line from Logitech support is that the receiver is either too far away or there's too much interference.

I want to go back to my old MX700. It never had a connection issue in all it's years.

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007

Digital War posted:

Are there any Logitech wireless mice that don't work on 2.4GHz?
I'm currently using a Desktop Wave Pro and it is appalling. I get constant drops, laggy response and button presses just completely lost. The line from Logitech support is that the receiver is either too far away or there's too much interference.

I want to go back to my old MX700. It never had a connection issue in all it's years.

Kinda doubt it. There's a reason 2.4 GHz is used for everything now - because 2.4 GHz radio PHYs are cheap and readily available, and the 2.4 GHz ISM band is unlicensed spectrum.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I love my m705. Battery is not an issue, i play video games with it fine, and it's a drat comfortable mouse.

Is the whole latency thing really an issue? I don't notice it and i'm not exactly bad at video games.

I do get some tracking issues but that's because prolonged use of my desk has turned it reflective and i'm in the market for a mousepad. What are some good reasonably priced mousepads that have nice, uniform tracking?

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 30, 2011

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Ok I was a bit of an idiot and bought a Razer Ironclad mouse mat without reading reviews.

One thing to ask, has anyone NOT had the peeling issues that seem so prevalent? Its pretty annoying that I could have a ticking time bomb here. It feels so nice at the moment!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This seems like the most relevant thread... forgive me if it's not.

I'm not a mac person. But I've been using my girlfriend's macbook recently, and I really like the trackpad. I find it super comfortable and logical and awesome.

So I went searching for something I could hook up to my PC that was similar. Apple sell their Magic Trackpad that sortakinda works on Windows 7, apparently to the extent that you can point at things and click them but that's it.

I want something like that, but with full gesture support. The gestures don't have to be the same as on a mac, but things like 2 finger scrolling and so on would be kick rear end.

Googling indicates that such a thing is possible in that Win7 has the required software to support multitouch trackpads and gestures. What googling doesn't reveal is any hardware that does what I want.

Except this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/USB-Multi-Touch-Pad-From-Thanko-Gets-is-a-Magic-Trackpad-for-Windows-7-181534.shtml which can apparently be bought here: http://www.geekstuff4u.com/computers/peripherals/usb-multi-touch-pad.html

I give no fucks what it looks like, and honestly a USB cable seems better than a blutooth connection to me. Does anyone know anything about this device, it's manufacturer, or the company that's selling it? I can't read Japanese and it's not mentioned in English anywhere I haven't linked. Better still., does anyone know how I can get working Windows drivers for an Apple Magic Trackpad or if there's a better or equivalent device for Windows that's not some Japanese gimmick?

To clarify, I would keep my faithful Logitech G5 for games and use the trackpad thing for general use.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 2, 2011

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I currently have a Logitech MX 1100. I like it because I don't have to worry about recharging it, but the mouse is starting to turn itself off in the middle of things, even with new batteries, I have to turn it off then on again manually, And the mouse wheel is starting to go.

I'd like a wireless mouse like it, that uses batteries and has side buttons. The current logitech lineup dosn't seem to replicate it, unless I get the Logitech Marathon Mouse M705. I've looked at the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and the Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700, but the need to use a cable tor recharge, though understandable, isn't quite what I want, though I may end up getting them anyway.

Are there any other solutions like the MX 1100?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I want something like that, but with full gesture support. The gestures don't have to be the same as on a mac, but things like 2 finger scrolling and so on would be kick rear end.

Basic gestures like two finger scrolling work in Windows, but the driver isn't meant to install outside of bootcamp. Apparently its not too hard to work around that though.

Two finger multitouch is standard on any modern laptop or netbook but I haven't seen a stand alone touchpad for desktops (aside from the Apple one)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

dissss posted:

Basic gestures like two finger scrolling work in Windows, but the driver isn't meant to install outside of bootcamp. Apparently its not too hard to work around that though.

Two finger multitouch is standard on any modern laptop or netbook but I haven't seen a stand alone touchpad for desktops (aside from the Apple one)

Hmmm... Is there a good place to see a discussion on what exactly the capabilities of the Apple trackpad are when installed on a non-bootcamped non-mac Windows 7?

Honestly, if it's not totally gimped I'll probably buy it, even though I'd rather not give Apple any more money. I'd probably prefer a cabled one, but eh, I'll take what there is unless is stupid expensive or broken.

Edit: I'd need a bluetooth card in my PC, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 3, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AlphaDog posted:

I'd need a bluetooth card in my PC, right?

Even though I don't have a specific need for bluetooth right now, I bought a cheap USB dongle (these things are insanely tiny now) and a USB header to USB port lead.. you'll probably have a few of these free on your board, so you may as well use them! The cost was tiny, and the result is tidy.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I have USB ports aplenty, and at least 2 spare headers on my mainboard and at least 2 header to rear bracket adapters. I can fit a bluetooth dongle or card in there no worries, but unless the apple trackpad suits my needs I have absolutely no need for bluetooth anything attached to my computer.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

AlphaDog posted:

Hmmm... Is there a good place to see a discussion on what exactly the capabilities of the Apple trackpad are when installed on a non-bootcamped non-mac Windows 7?

Honestly, if it's not totally gimped I'll probably buy it, even though I'd rather not give Apple any more money. I'd probably prefer a cabled one, but eh, I'll take what there is unless is stupid expensive or broken.

Edit: I'd need a bluetooth card in my PC, right?

I haven't tried it but I BET the sweet two finger scroll won't work like you want. That is the thing I've never seen replicated in Windows, for some reason notchy scrolling is our cross to bear.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Comstar posted:

I currently have a Logitech MX 1100. I like it because I don't have to worry about recharging it, but the mouse is starting to turn itself off in the middle of things, even with new batteries, I have to turn it off then on again manually, And the mouse wheel is starting to go.
I got Performance MX as a replacement when my MX1100 died. Since it uses AA size NiMH cell you could use regular batteries :) but yeah, not much point. Cable is also much less annoying if you already have gadgets that charge off MicroUSB.

Only thing I don't like about Performance MX is the wheel left/right buttons, these were really nice additional keybinds in games with MX1100.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

white hum posted:

Only thing I don't like about Performance MX is the wheel left/right buttons, these were really nice additional keybinds in games with MX1100.

Are you saying that you miss that feature? Because the Performance MX is still capable of tilting the wheel left and right.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

404notfound posted:

Are you saying that you miss that feature? Because the Performance MX is still capable of tilting the wheel left and right.
MX1100 tilt wheel had nice firm feedback *click* when it was pressed. Performance MX you just press the wheel and hope it registers, there is no feedback :(

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Comstar posted:

I'd like a wireless mouse like it, that uses batteries and has side buttons. The current logitech lineup dosn't seem to replicate it, unless I get the Logitech Marathon Mouse M705. I've looked at the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and the Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700, but the need to use a cable tor recharge, though understandable, isn't quite what I want, though I may end up getting them anyway.

Are there any other solutions like the MX 1100?

You can also charge the battery in a g700 without the cable, just swap a new aa rechargeable in (it comes with an eneloop)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

coinstarpatrick posted:

I haven't tried it but I BET the sweet two finger scroll won't work like you want. That is the thing I've never seen replicated in Windows, for some reason notchy scrolling is our cross to bear.

Yeah the best you can do is set it to scroll one line at a time.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ah, gently caress that then. I'll stick with my G5 which is very comfortable. The only things I'd actually change about this mouse is improving the lovely paint and putting 2 buttons under the thumb not one.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

coinstarpatrick posted:

That is the thing I've never seen replicated in Windows, for some reason notchy scrolling is our cross to bear.

If you turn down the "line" size in your browser, you can get very close, but yeah.

I have mine set to about 15px and its very very smooth, but mac trackpads are still night and day.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Just went out and bought a Logitech G700. Pretty happy with it so far. I haven't used a wireless mouse since the MX1000 (which I had to return due to mouse lag), and seeing that I haven't noticed any of that so far from the G700, it is a welcome surprise.

However, why the hell doesn't the (gaming) G700 use the Logitech Game Profiler software? It still uses the SetPoint software, which doesn't seem to be that well featured. I saw a SS on the last page that has a G5 (I think?) being managed by the Game Profiler software.

Does Logitech have any plans to make the Game Profiler software support the G700?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AlphaDog posted:

Ah, gently caress that then. I'll stick with my G5 which is very comfortable. The only things I'd actually change about this mouse is improving the lovely paint and putting 2 buttons under the thumb not one.

That's pretty much why I got a G500

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

That's pretty much why I got a G500

Hah, the G500 actually looks pretty sweet. If my G5 ever dies I guess I'll replace it with one of those. Mind you, the $150 AUD RRP on the logitech site made me :stare:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Wicaeed posted:

I saw a SS on the last page that has a G5 (I think?) being managed by the Game Profiler software.
That's the G400. Only the G400 is managed by LGS for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Hah, the G500 actually looks pretty sweet. If my G5 ever dies I guess I'll replace it with one of those. Mind you, the $150 AUD RRP on the logitech site made me :stare:

Try logitechshop in ebay. They usually have them for around $60.