Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How many gnomes are there in this comp anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yatzik
Apr 2, 2011

Not even a teensy bit of killing?

SynthOrange posted:

How many gnomes are there in this comp anyway?

There are 4 dark gnomes remaining currently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The next small person match I see is a gremlin- vs a troll. Oh you poor bastard.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

Hey, rickvoid, I'm calling you out!

You have more money to spend. Too chicken to place more than 1000 on an aptly-named fighter?

There's a big, big pot of money at stake on Dies Horribly... don't you want MORE of it?

You better make a bigger bet.

...unless you're too afraid.

Well, I certainly couldn't let this stand. I've upped my bet by two grand.

Yup.

Care to do the same? :smug:

SynthOrange posted:

The next small person match I see is a gremlin- vs a troll. Oh you poor bastard.

Alas, poor Yorick.

Pre-Post Edit :aaa:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Wow, ok don't go to the site just before Vox posts a fight, although Im half tempted to claim clairvoyance.

e: Nah, you don't give anything away, just :f5:

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 8, 2011

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Should I edit out the last bit of my post there? Seriously, I made the bet like ten minutes before hand. Holy poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches Fourteen Through Fifteen:siren:

Match Fourteen, Dies Horribly (rickvoid) vs. Gamefan (jigokuman)

Dies Horribly, the goblin of battle royale fame, is armed with a steel pick and armored with a copper cap and silver breast plate. His opponent is the mighty troll Gamefan, who carries a copper spear and oaken shield, and wears a copper helm.

The hideous gladiators run forward, Dies Horribly raising his pick high to strike, Gamefan roaring wildly as trolls generally do. Dies Horribly, quicker than hist beastly foe, swings his pick with great force to kick off the melee. The heavy steel implement cuts through the air and strikes Gamefan in the hand- but penetrates less than an inch into the troll's thick, knotted flesh! Gamefan jabs his spear at Dies Horribly as a human would use a knife, but the goblin evades with ease. Now Dies Horribly plunges his pick straight into Gamefan's chest, cutting straight into the beast's lung! Gamefan lets out a hideous gurgling scream as air and teal blood suck into his wound, wildly swiping at Dies Horribly simultaneously, missing completely.

Dies Horribly has to make a great effort to twist his pick clear of the troll's flesh, but manages to retrieve it- then immediately plunges the weapon back in, just inches from the initial strike! Again, Gamefan's left lung is punctured through and through, and blood spatters in all directions! As the great troll tears at its ruined chest, Dies Horribly ducks down and strikes for the achilles. Pick digs straight through to bone, and rends tendons and nerves as it is yanked clean! Gamefan, bellowing in fear, keels over and slams bodily into the arena floor, simultaneously passing out! Dies Horribly plunges his pick into the troll's chest, this time spearing the monster's huge, strange heart! Again and again Dies Horribly jams his pick into Gamefan's heaving chest, for some reason choosing to ignore the unconscious creature's head! Dies Horribly finds himself covered in blood spatter.

But his victory is at hand! Gamefan bleeds out, having flooded the arena with liters of troll blood.

Combat Log

Note: I have no idea why Dies Horribly didn't go straight for the head of his unconscious opponent. I've never seen a deviation from that behavior before. Yes, I am using the correct version.

Match Fifteen, Bob (Jonis) vs. Lord Fusslepot (Ionnracht)

Bob the molemarian is armed with a copper halberd and some incidental oak and leather armor. Lord Fusslepot the human swordsman wields his trusty iron longsword and does not bother with all the "armor" nonsense. Can Bob use his molemarian weight and toughness to pull through, or will Fusslepot quarter him like the rodent he is?

The fight begines! Bob skitters forward in his bizarre molemarian way, and Lord Fusslepot bounds toward the creature with great haste, then stabs him directly in the arm! Bob shows no sign of even noticing that his left arm's muscles are now torn and exposed, and swings his halberd at Fusslepot, who throws himself out of the long weapon's path at the last second.

The fighters circle for a moment, then Lord Fusslepot lowers his shoulder and rams into the molemarian, swinging his sword with his free arm! Bob parries the strike with the haft of his polearm but is pushed heavily to the ground by the taller though much lighter human! Lord Fusslepot slashes at the stunned molemarian's waving limbs, taking off a clawed foot, half a leg, and an entire arm before the beast can even recover! Fusslepot adds a quick thump to the gut with his weapon's pommel to bring his devastating flurry to an end.

Lord Fusselpot, unfeeling as all molemarian, is angered and confused by his body's inability to function properly, but manages to swing his halberd at Fusslepot using his single remaining arm. The swordsman simply backs out of range, then steps forward to finish the job- but the molemarian has already gone cold, having lost all of its blood in mere seconds. Lord Fusslepot claims victory, and will presumably move to patent his "charge at the really big thing and somehow come out on top" technique!

Combat Log

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Aaaaand now that it's up, allow me to gloat a little.

:holy:

Also, the reason Dies Horribly chose to ignore the head? It's this: :black101:

Now, I'm a little confused by the betting screen. It has me listed as betting twice, which I did. One is listed as 1,000 (the initial bet), the other is listed as 3,000 (what I thought I was increasing the bet to).

My question is, did I bet 3k on this fight, or 4k? I think it's only 3, but I don't know for sure.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I can believe what just happened!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Aaaaand now that it's up, allow me to gloat a little.

:holy:

Also, the reason Dies Horribly chose to ignore the head? It's this: :black101:

Now, I'm a little confused by the betting screen. It has me listed as betting twice, which I did. One is listed as 1,000 (the initial bet), the other is listed as 3,000 (what I thought I was increasing the bet to).

My question is, did I bet 3k on this fight, or 4k? I think it's only 3, but I don't know for sure.

I think you made a second bet of 3000, not realizing that you were committing a separate action rather than simply modifying your prior action (individual bets can never be changed). Congrats on getting even more money I guess.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I think you made a second bet of 3000, not realizing that you were committing a separate action rather than simply modifying your prior action (individual bets can never be changed). Congrats on getting even more money I guess.

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Come on and climb aboard the ironically named pain train! Believe in the Goblin that believes in poking the gently caress out of things until they stop moving!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
He obviously left the head untouched so it would be unharmed when he mounts it on his wall. Brb, drawing tribute to this pinnacle of goblin-hood.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And I've not won a single bet to date :qq:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Now I have to go to work tomorrow and give Robin the bad news. THANKS VOX.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Go team Goblin!

Also wish I had some money left to bet against SynthOrange in every future match.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

He didn't need us to believe in him; he believed in him, who believes in himself! :kamina:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

That almost makes up for me losing like half my money betting against him.

e: Jazzimus, would it be possible to have a new column on the My Bets page showing what the payout will be if you win?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 8, 2011

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Jack the Lad posted:

That almost makes up for me losing like half my money betting against him.

Bet the other half against Robo-Prancer in match 23.

Turns out I make up about 93% of the bet for Prancer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Another blow to Grumbletown's arm knocks bone fragments through the warrior's elbow, and the human rapidly deflates at this point. Shortly after he is disarmed, and The Badgerconda has a field day. Eventually Grumbletown faints from the pain of dozens of injuries, and The Badgerconda targets his opponent's head- only to be turned away by his copper helm! (Note: repeated, identical actions do not show up in the battle logs, but The Badgerconda ultimately struck Grumbletown in the head over 40 times) Finally, one of his strikes lands with enough force to break Grumbletown's neck even through his helmet. The human wakes up after this and attempts to flail at his serpent man tormentor however he can, but an injection of paralyzing venom puts an end to that. The Badgerconda then shakes his foe around by the arm for some time before he decides that the human is probably completely dead, then the serpent man slithers out of the ring, the second of his kind to have taken down a larger foe!

Haha! I knew a gimmick build would be successful. And he's tenacious too, wailing away on a helmet like that.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
It seems that my strategy on betting on the underdog isn't exactly paying off as well as I had hoped.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Dies Horribly you fantastic bastard. It's a good day for underdogs right

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

Go team Goblin!

Also wish I had some money left to bet against SynthOrange in every future match.

You can cancel bets by entering 0 on any old bets you have.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

SynthOrange posted:

I just cancelled some of my 1-buck bets, then realised that this almost certainly isn't intentional/allowed.

Is there a record of my old bets? I can't remember which I took down.

e:
pre:
Player Name 	Total Funds 	Available Funds 	Outstanding Bets
rickvoid 	7625.15 	128.00 	                350.00p
:signings:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 8, 2011

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

SynthOrange posted:

Don't do this. It's not intentional and I already brought it to Jazzimus attention to be fixed. You can't bet less than you've already bet.

Also, making a note to myself...

drat YOU, CURSE OF gently caress ROGERS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It wasnt? Oh. Uhm... IGNORE ME!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does betting actually do anything, or is this just a bragging rights thing?

I ask, because I've placed no bets, and I don't want my MIGHTY TROLL to be handicapped after I bash someone's head in this round.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The overall dorfbuck winner gets a "bonus" next tournament.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I think the betting winner from tournament 2 got a random starting points boost (that never really came to anything), and I got some shiny golden footwear :neckbeard: that definitely doesn't do anything

Vox usually comes up with something at the end of the tourney for both tournament and betting winners. The prize will generally be something inconsequential, but very humanly valuable or pretty.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

He didn't need us to believe in him; he believed in him, who believes in himself! :kamina:

This is awesome. So very awesome. Thank you for this. :)

On the other hand, if we keep making Kamina jokes, he's going to need the cape and shades. :kamina:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
That's interesting... if thought betting again adds an additional bet instead of overriding your original... I bet on both Dies Horribly AND Gamefan, and yet only my bet for Gamefan is listed.

Darnit.

All my small bets are winning, all my larger bets are losing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If it's working as betting behaved historically, any new bets should be in addition to your old bets. So if you already had a bet of 500 and you place a bet of 400 on the same fighter, you now have two bets, one at 500 and one at 400, for a total of 900. That's how it's supposed to be, anyhow. All bets should be final and you can only increase the amount you bet on a fighter (by adding new bets.) As to whether it's actually doing that, or not, well... ;)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Iunnrais posted:

All my small bets are winning, all my larger bets are losing.

CAPITALISM!!!!!!!

Imagine a Dwarf biting a Human 1's left eyeball and latching on firmly.... forever.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Currently, placing an additional bet on the same fighter overrides the original, and placing a bet on the opposing fighter creates a new bet.

The reason rickvoid had two bets placed on the same fighter was because I had entered his first bet for him. It was specific to his situation and nobody else should have encountered it. I've already fixed what I did wrong there and that shouldn't happen again.

Later today I will remove the ability to lower the amount of a bet already placed. You will still be able to raise your bet on the same fighter, or to place an additional bet on the opposing fighter.

Iunnrais posted:

That's interesting... if thought betting again adds an additional bet instead of overriding your original... I bet on both Dies Horribly AND Gamefan, and yet only my bet for Gamefan is listed.

This shouldn't be possible with the current setup... I'm not sure why your bet for Dies Horribly would not have shown up. Has anyone else encountered this?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Holy poo poo! Dwarf fortress continues to be awesome. Glad to see some upsets (especially on matches where I didn't have money on the big dude!) I am amazed that we've turned a debugging tool into a monstrously enjoyable game in its own right.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
drat, that was pretty good. I can't wait for more fights to come.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I haven't seen anyone rolling around on the ground yet. That was one of my favourite additions to the combat system. Is it because nobody bought points in dodging?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Boing posted:

I haven't seen anyone rolling around on the ground yet. That was one of my favourite additions to the combat system. Is it because nobody bought points in dodging?

There have definitely been cases of gladiators dodging on the ground, but most of them died shortly afterward. If you search the combat logs for "scramble" or "roll" you will find them.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Did this die? :ohdear:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So I take it Dies Horribly's name actually refers to what happens to everyone who fights him, then? Because seriously. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

President Ark posted:

So I take it Dies Horribly's name actually refers to what happens to everyone who fights him, then? Because seriously. :stare:

Dies Horribly is presumably a reference to the Goblins webcomic. Which means that yes, everyone fighting him is supposed to end up as a pile of gore.

• Locked thread