Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

sudonim posted:

What I want to know is if these 70+ hour games get long through huge amounts of content or because they're serious grindfests? I like RPGs but not if I'm going to have to spend tens of hours in samey, crate-and-hallway dungeons. I followed Luisfe's Digital Devil Saga LPs, and holy crap I would never be play such a boring looking, grindy game.

If I remember right, Tales of Symphonia was a game that took a long time but had a lot of content. None of the dungeons were even that long, and I think I still got over 40 hours without ever really grinding.

DW7 is easily 80+, even without grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Rouge Galaxy was a pretty long game too, about 40+ hours. If only because the dungeons were huge and took forever to get from one place to the other. Oh, and one level was basically FFXII's Pharos Tower, times two.

Add in the extra bullshit (two 100 floor dungeons, one of which randomises its layout, item crafting minigame, a bug hunt, optional hidden bosses which can only be found by reading drat guides, etc) and you've got at least a 60-70 hour game.

I don't even want to talk about SO3. It's a completionist's wet dream. Thank god I didn't waste my time with that stuff.

FFVII keeps quite a good hand on its game length, I think. There is the Chocobo time sink though.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Bellmaker posted:

DW7 is easily 80+, even without grinding.

On the other hand, if you grind too much, well...

MaskedHuzzah's DW7 LP posted:

Final game time: 368:47

:stare:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Some of you people have a sickness.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chard posted:

Considering I have several FFTA2 saves and MULTIPLE (as in, at least one for each 'generation') Pokémon saves that all clock in at over 100 hours played?

Yes. Yes, I am perfectly willing to accept that I in fact have a grave spergsickness.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

It figures. This thread finally gets me to dig my copy of the game out for another playthrough, and I'm missing the first disc. :negative: At least I have friends to borrow it from...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xenogears uses a ton of in-game graphics for its cutscenes that can't be skipped, though you can clickfest the text. It does have a ton of optional content that tends to be rather short. The only grinding you really need is the Kislev sewers, but you need to fight really long battles to enter enough button inputs to get ever stronger attacks to better fight the rear end in a top hat bosses. It is a very wordy and plot intensive game.

I spent over 110 hours on FFXII in a failed mission to find all optional content. I did spend over 10 hours with just Vaan and messing around with the active battles and stopped when I couldn't beat that Hunt with 1000 needles. I did take things really slow since it was my first time.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 8, 2011

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chard posted:

Not that you don't have a point but there are people who spend over 10,000 hours in a single MMO.

Just putting it in perspective.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I spent over 110 hours on FFXII in a failed mission to find all optional content. I did spend over 10 hours with just Vaan and messing around with the active battles and stopped when I couldn't beat that Hunt with 1000 needles. I did take things really slow since it was my first time.

My Order of Ambrosia save is something like 150 hours, almost all of which is actual content. I'll grant that some of the rare game are obtuse and overly random, but aside from the silly random loot problem FFXII is a game with a profound respect for the player's time. And it's still enormous.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Elentor posted:

Not that you don't have a point but there are people who spend over 10,000 hours in a single MMO.

Just putting it in perspective.

That's also a sickness but it's a different type of sickness. An MMO will update with new content, and the online/social aspect will always exponentially increase a game's replay value. Playing a single player game for 3-400 hours is still very weird when there are only so many different things you can do, usually with very minute effects.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A lot of casual gamers will put in hundreds of hours into FIFA, NCAA or The Show without batting an eye as well. Those games are mostly static for years on end but I am still guilty of it as well.

gently caress baserunning.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

My bro has been playing WoW since it came out basically, he raids on a regular basis and does dailies, well, on a daily basis, so I'm more than certain that he's put in his fair share of time on it. Interestingly enough it's just one of those passive activities as unobtrusive as walking or driving to work for him, so while he's clearly dedicated, I think there's a definite line separating "well it's one of the things I do very regularly" versus "well it's one of the things I do. Including eating and making GBS threads."

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
For a lot of people I know, playing WoW is like... being a serious baseball player or something. They have to keep up with their diets, work out, learn strategies, etc. A lot of serious WoW players I know just look at their daily WoW play as the same kind of thing -- getting gear, making connections, doing quests, all for their "big event" which is raiding or PvP or whatever they're into. That's when they're actually "playing."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I did four runs of Persona 4, each ~100 hours. Play through Normal and its NG+, then Hard and its NG+.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Paracelsus posted:

I did four runs of Persona 4, each ~100 hours. Play through Normal and its NG+, then Hard and its NG+.

This is the thing I don't get. I couldn't get through PES3 and quit after like 50 floors because it was just the same thing, again and again and again. It's not like you can do much to change things up except creating personas. And the story isn't nearly interesting enough for me to keep going. I looked up how many floors I had left, literally gasped, and quit forever. It didn't help that the "social" stuff you need to do just reminded me that I should actually call someone and hang out in real life instead.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 8, 2011

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Renoistic posted:

This is the thing I don't get. I couldn't get through PES3 and quit after like 50 floors because it was just the same thing, again and again and again. It's not like you can do much to change things up except creating personas. And the story isn't nearly interesting enough for me to keep going. I looked up how many floors I had left, literally gasped, and quit forever. It didn't help that the "social" stuff you need to do just reminded me that I should actually call someone and hang out in real life instead.

P4 is extremely less tedious. And honestly, playing through a RPG twice has no merits, unless it unlocks bonus content/earns you an achievement.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
All FF's I've been through usually end on an average of 70 - 80 hours, but I always have to factor in that a lot of the time I leave it running to go make food or go to the toilet, or talking to someone and not doing anything on the game, stuff like that, it adds up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phoenix Taichou posted:

All FF's I've been through usually end on an average of 70 - 80 hours, but I always have to factor in that a lot of the time I leave it running to go make food or go to the toilet, or talking to someone and not doing anything on the game, stuff like that, it adds up.

Haha, this was us in boarding school. We'd always be in such a rush to catch the bus to downtown at the last possible second that we would often completely forget to shut down the 'Cube (or not shut down at all because we misjudged the length of a dungeon but had to go go go we wanted our motherfuckin' Genki Sushi followed by downtown misadventures), get back in the late afternoon all, "Oh, poo poo. Welp, saves startup time!" The result? A 200 hour-long Crystal Chronicles save file. Good thing GCs are made of adamantium.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 8, 2011

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
My ps2 must be made of something like that as well. The one thing I will say it horrific in SO3 is the bunny racing since there is no way to predict which bunny might win. Many nights were spent with a turbo controller having a taped down button while I slept. I make sure to subtract about 30 hours from my total gametime estimations.

As for FF7? I think a friend of mine maxed his in game clock on disc two. This is the same friend that got to that town with the card tournament in 9 and refused to continue the story for at least 5 hours.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KataraniSword posted:

Considering I have several FFTA2 saves and MULTIPLE (as in, at least one for each 'generation') Pokémon saves that all clock in at over 100 hours played?

Yes. Yes, I am perfectly willing to accept that I in fact have a grave spergsickness.

Haha, you too? :hfive:

I'm pretty sure my Pearl file topped 600 hours, last time I checked. I think that's my record though. White hasn't gotten anywhere near that long. Yet. I say, yet, because it will happen.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Farseli posted:

This is the same friend that got to that town with the card tournament in 9 and refused to continue the story for at least 5 hours.

Love Treno gently caress haters

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I thought I was spergy for having a 108 hour Disgaea save. I have nothing on most of you guys.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Black Balloon posted:

I thought I was spergy for having a 108 hour Disgaea save. I have nothing on most of you guys.

Between Item Worlding, grinding for the maps, getting all the endings, and doing the World of Carnage? A 100% Disgaea 2 save will take at LEAST four times that.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Black Balloon posted:

Only 108 hours?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

factorialite posted:

Love Treno gently caress haters

Treno's atmosphere alone trumps like, just about every other FF game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't need 90 hours to beat UPB. Guy must be taking it easy or gear grinding for several people.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My Oblivion save was at 300 hours before I uninstalled it. I had cleared one (1) Oblivion gate and done around 4 main story missions. So many sidequests...

DonTirri
Oct 5, 2010
I had a save in FFX with over 500 hours of playtime...
It included getting my Blitzball team to lvl99 THRICE just for shits and giggles.

For some reason I liked Blitzball and had a LOT of time in my hands...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DonTirri posted:

It included getting my Blitzball team to lvl99 THRICE just for shits and giggles.

That sounds like my idea of hell.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I think the longest playtime I've ever had was on Oblivion, wherein my level 47 character had logged in about 70 hours of playtime. Aside from that I usually stick around 40-50 hours in RPGs.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
I think I'll just keep my WoW /played to myself...

Generally though I can't trust time played for any RPG I play since I tend to "pause" the game (just open the menu) and leave it there for long periods of time for whatever reason. I do remember my big FF2 SNES endgame save was just about 24 hours, that was probably the most accurate.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Phyein posted:

I think I'll just keep my WoW /played to myself...

Generally though I can't trust time played for any RPG I play since I tend to "pause" the game (just open the menu) and leave it there for long periods of time for whatever reason. I do remember my big FF2 SNES endgame save was just about 24 hours, that was probably the most accurate.

Yeah, my friends and I are all super grateful that FFXII stops the clock when you hit start.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wasted countless hours in FFXI, and an embarrassing amount of the time was spent fishing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Hey, time spent on the manaclipper is not wasted.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

DonTirri posted:

While I never quite reached your level of insanity, I did love me some Blitzball. I spent a lot of time on FF8's Triple Triad as well.

I think the most I ever spent in an RPG was Xenogears, where I reached over 100 hours.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TKovacs2 posted:

While I never quite reached your level of insanity, I did love me some Blitzball. I spent a lot of time on FF8's Triple Triad as well.

I think the most I ever spent in an RPG was Xenogears, where I reached over 100 hours.

I clocked 220 hours into Front Mission 3. That was a very boring summer.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I managed to clock over 120 hours in FFXII, but due to the pace of the plot and the fact that it just dives off a cliff near the end, it still felt short.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

Jacobus Spades posted:

I managed to clock over 120 hours in FFXII, but due to the pace of the plot and the fact that it just dives off a cliff near the end, it still felt short.

I hear that. I've started it over a few times, but this last time I played FF12, I managed to get over the hump I was stuck on and all of a sudden it was the endgame and I had no idea. It took forever to get there but then it was over too soon.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have played FF8 ten times, FF4,5,6,7 and Tactics five times, FF12 four times, FF9 twice, FF10 three times, FF10-2 three times, FF1 and 2 three times, FF3 twice, FF13 once.

In this case I'm counting only having seen the beginning to ending as a "play" or "run".

Considering all of this, I think it's safe to say that Final Fantasy is the gaming series I've invested the most over the years, and this is without including failed runs (ie I have tried to successfully replay FF9 several times over the years, usually only managing to get to disc 3 before giving up, I've never successfully replayed it except once despite loving it to pieces).

If only it were possible to come up with an average of how every successful run put together. Oh wait, I have my old save files.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Jacobus Spades posted:

I got 30 hours in and fell asleep. I haven't returned since. :/

• Locked thread