Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Why is everyone talking like it's a foregone conclusion that Cersei will go right back to scheming and paranoia? It seemed like GRRM went well out of his way to show that Cersei was truly and deeply broken by her shame-walk. I think it's going to be a relatively permanent character change for her. Sure, she could be faking, but everything in her last POV and the epilogue seemed to suggest it was for real, and that she's done with power-lust.

She's faking. She's not done by a long shot. I think she's doomed to fail, but her failure - unless GRRM completely botches it - will be very interesting. Also I think it's pretty obvious that Jamie is going to kill her. How else can it end, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I wish to express my current aggravation through poetry.

What the gently caress, Dany?
You went through with the marriage.
I am pissed, like T-Rex.

(Putting the book down again for a day or two. This is taking me an eternity to get through.)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hhhmmm posted:

Because the last two books are poorly edited.

The overall plot is ok and the writing is decent. But the timing is off. Too many cliffhangers and travelogue, and phrases are repeated to much. These are things that should have been caught in editing.

Reading the interview, the editor is moving the books in the opposite direction - moving plot resolutions away, and falling in love with the travelogue, Penny and other parts where GRRM is repeating himself too much.

The only bad editing in the last two books has been repeated phrases. The writing is his best yet and some of the most evocative fantasy writing in years.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Azure_Horizon posted:

The only bad editing in the last two books has been repeated phrases.

This is starting to drive me a little nutty, too. You can tell that the editing was rushed.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

The only bad editing in the last two books has been repeated phrases. The writing is his best yet and some of the most evocative fantasy writing in years.

I got retard drunk the other night and was asking complete strangers where whores go.

I woke up with bruises...

hellbastard fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 9, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

hellbastard posted:

I got retard drunk the other night and was asking complete strangers where whores go.
Did you really because this is kind of funny

withak posted:

Doesn't he have an actual legitimate mental disorder that prevents him from working?
I think he's depressed or something.

Probably not the best idea to choose an occupation where you have to survive off putting out creative energy if you suffer from depression, but hey he wrote two good books so if that's all he ever manages at least the world is a little bit better because of it :shobon:

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Quantify! posted:

Did you really because this is kind of funny

Embarrasingly, yes... reality got away from me, and 1000 pages of "Where do whores go?" really left a mark in my brain.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

hellbastard posted:

Embarrasingly, yes... reality got away from me, and 1000 pages of "Where do whores go?" really left a mark in my brain.
Well hopefully you didn't ride any pigs

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Quantify! posted:

hey he wrote two good books so if that's all he ever manages at least the world is a little bit better because of it :shobon:

The idea of someone expressing this sentiment about Gurm is amusing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hellbastard posted:

I woke up with bruises...

I believe that everyone's words are wind.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Eggnogium posted:

The idea of someone expressing this sentiment about Gurm is amusing.
I was talking about Scott Lynch

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except there are universal complaints about pacing, here and on amazon. This could have been fixed by a good editor.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jewlian posted:

Thanks, just got it for my nook. This and "The Republic of Thieves" will suffice for about a week of reading. Looking for moar please.
The Steel Remains by Richard K Morgan fits your criteria and was pretty good.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
All Dance needed was

LESS riding pigs

MORE riding dragons

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Quantify! posted:

I was talking about Scott Lynch

I know, I was just saying it's funny that people have the polar opposite reaction to ASOIAF's release pace.

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005
"What happened?" she gasped. "Nothing. Why?" "Oh, yes it did," she giggled. "I wet myself." "They always do," I said. - Raymond Chandler, "The Big Sleep"

FMguru posted:

Bad editing is endemic to mega-hit series authors. See how the Harry Potter books more than doubled in size after they became international best-sellers, or how Tom Clancy's books after his first two could have a third of their text pruned away without losing anything.

Because editing doesn't sell. Would ADWD have sold more copies if GRRM and his editors had spent another six or nine months sending drafts back and forth and tightening up the prose? I doubt it. Plus, every month spent editing a finished manuscript is a month that the author is not working on his next mega-hit novel. What incentive do the publishers/authors/editors have for slowing down production at the money-making factory that is George R.R. Martin or J.K. Rowling? Spell check it, print it, ship it, and get to work on the next book before the audience disperses and moves on to something else. This goes double for something like ADWD, which was already years and years late.

Besides, once an author reaches mega-hit status, he can fire editors who give him too much negative feedback. If Steven King's editor sends back a book saying "I'm sorry Steve, this still needs a lot of work, perhaps a complete ground-up rewrite", then King will get on the phone to the publisher and he'll have a new editor in five minutes and his old editor will be standing in line at the unemployment office.

Finally, I think publishers like big fat overstuffed books because they can charge a higher price for them. Editing a 1050 page ADWD down to 700 pages would make it harder to slap a $35.00 price tag on it.

This is probably all true, but his editor bragged in an interview about the major plot resolutions she got him to cut. Gurm did not want to cut some chapters at the end but she convinced him to. So apparently he is one author who listens to his editor. And she sucks. Anyone who thinks that Penny added anything to ADWD should be editing, at best, the copy on the back of Barbie boxes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jewlian posted:

Could you guys please offer me some recommendations? I just finished ADwD then going based on recommendations on this forums I finished Abercrombie's The First Law, Best Served Cold and Heroes. Now I have nothing to read. I'd like something in a low fantasy setting with a good dose of cynicism and wry humor.

Glen Cook - The Black Company (first trilogy is by far the best)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

Except there are universal complaints about pacing, here and on amazon. This could have been fixed by a good editor.

I don't have nearly the same issues with the pacing as other people do. I enjoyed all the slow worldbuilding and lack of plot movement. I couldn't care less about Amazon reviews.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

regulargonzalez posted:

There's terrific stuff later on too; an amazing amount of cool stuff happens in She Is the Darkness. I'll also recommend his Dread Empire series, start with A Fortress In Shadow.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Every time I read one of these "It's just like ASOIAF!" books I end up getting burned, but I keep going back to the flame...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Eggnogium posted:

Vagina itself also has this root. Vagina is Latin for sword-sheathe.

Edit: I actually have no idea if the two are related but it doesn't seem far fetched.

Most Germanic languages have cognates of "oval office" so it goes back a hell of a long way. Latin (notably not a Germanic language) also has the suspiciously similar-sounding word "cunnus" for, well, "oval office".

Ninja edit: As for "penis", that actually means "tail" in Latin; its use as a serious name for that bit of male anatomy originated as a euphemism. As did the use of "vagina" for the female bit.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What's the origin of pussy and cock, thanks in advance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Quantify! posted:

Every time I read one of these "It's just like ASOIAF!" books I end up getting burned, but I keep going back to the flame...

Well, let's look at some differences so you know what you're getting into. Cook relies heavily on unreliable narrators. In the BC series they're the annalists of the Company who record its history, and the book is more or less what the character supposedly wrote down. Croaker especially lies about himself, drops dark hints about why he ran off to join a mercenary company and generally grumbles his way through some seriously outlandish warfare. Dread Empire is told differently, mostly in 3rd person personal narration (if I remember my terms); you get in their heads quite a bit but it's not completely the character's perspective. There's also a lot of narration on the grand scheme of things. In the Dread empire series he summarizes two years of bitter warfare in three pages, with updates on all the main characters and descriptions of half a dozen or more major battles. That's two or three whole novels for GRRM.

For a lot of people, the change from multiple first person viewpoints will be jarring and might put them off his style altogether. Others will find the fact that GRRM is as wordy as Cook isn't refreshing. In any of Cook's novels you're going to get as much intrigue, more battles, a hell of a lot more magic and an entirely different writing style. A lot of his books sound like stories the old salts in the Marine battalion Cook was attached to as a corpsman would have told. Even when you're trying to deal with bad rear end crazy sorcerers it still feels gritty and realistic. Vietnam War fiction on peyote is how one reviewer put it,and it is. There's terrible warfare going on, from the viewpoint of a grunt or junior officer

One more thing, the Black Company relies on trickery, deceit and con games far more than brute force or even maneuver in the field. It affects the stories, you get far more capers than stand up fights. In the Dread Empire, you get a lot more straight up heavy infantry work. Both are fun.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The Lies of Locke Lamora was pretty good on its own, I haven't read the second one and I will eventually, but its not like I'm dying to find out what happens next.

GRRM on the other hand...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pimpslap posted:

I recall Maester Aemon saying that dragons are genderless in his monologue to Sam of realizing that Dany is the focus of the prophecy. So, I suppose they reproduce like asexual frogs?

They change sex based on their rider, who then mates with them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can't wait to see Dany loving a dragon.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

RCarr posted:

Can't wait to see Dany loving a dragon.
Why would she gently caress a dragon? She can't have children.

Geez you're so ignorant :rolleyes:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doibhilin posted:

This is probably all true, but his editor bragged in an interview about the major plot resolutions she got him to cut. Gurm did not want to cut some chapters at the end but she convinced him to. So apparently he is one author who listens to his editor. And she sucks. Anyone who thinks that Penny added anything to ADWD should be editing, at best, the copy on the back of Barbie boxes.

"George, your book is already too big. We have to cut something otherwise we won't even be able to physically bind the paperback."

"OK."

"You can trim about 30% of the endless travelogues or you can drop the chapters at the end."

"Cut the ending."

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Ehhhh, I picked that up earlier this year and couldn't get into it at all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Argali posted:

Ehhhh, I picked that up earlier this year and couldn't get into it at all.

Same here. I enjoyed the writing style, but found the characterisation to be EXTREMELY lacking. At the end of the first book I felt like I only knew a couple of the characters, everyone else was pretty much interchangeable.

It wouldn't have been so bad had there been interesting events in the background, but as the book progressed the focus moved from the engaging battles and intrigues of the early chapters to bland high fantasy conflicts. Watching a story of Dark Queens and Chosen Ones through the eyes of a grizzled mercenary was a good novelty, but no more than that. When I checked Wikipedia and saw that the other books continued to develop in that direction, I gave up on acquiring them.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finally finished this book and the only thing I really wanted from the ending was a hilarious description of Daario being thrown from a trebuchet.

Dance and Feast should've been heavily edited down to one book. They also shouldn't end on such bullshit annoying cliffhangers. The first three books didn't end on cliffhangers :mad:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't have nearly the same issues with the pacing as other people do. I enjoyed all the slow worldbuilding and lack of plot movement. I couldn't care less about Amazon reviews.

I wouldn't mind the pacing and worldbuilding if this were book 2 or 3 and GRRM were 20 years younger. But he has 2 books left so we are either going to get a drastic shift in tone from slow paced worldbuilding to major plot advances every chapter, or we are going to have a rushed and unsatisfying ending (like they largely hand-wave the war or Dany dies before she gets here or something stupid). Or else GRRM is going to say "well maybe 1 or 2 more books guys" when he is in his mid-70s and finished book 7 then we get no resolution.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I think that he had to manuever everyone in place first- like get the Wall back in the hands of people who will lose it, get Cersei back into a position of power, etc. I think this book will be like A Storm of Swords. It should just be 1000 pages of wall to wall bloodshed. I'm really looking for that Hodor POV chapter next book though.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

... and finished book 7...

I'm pretty sure that isn't happening.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

Guy A. Person posted:

I wouldn't mind the pacing and worldbuilding if this were book 2 or 3 and GRRM were 20 years younger. But he has 2 books left so we are either going to get a drastic shift in tone from slow paced worldbuilding to major plot advances every chapter, or we are going to have a rushed and unsatisfying ending (like they largely hand-wave the war or Dany dies before she gets here or something stupid). Or else GRRM is going to say "well maybe 1 or 2 more books guys" when he is in his mid-70s and finished book 7 then we get no resolution.

So, I think he could conceivably get his act together in two books.

The next book would include (in 2014):
  • Dany retakes Mereen, fucks up everybody with her dragons, and decides "gently caress it, now's the time to take Westeros" (after seven chapters of being indecisive and moody about it). Tyrion and Victarion have something to do with that?
  • Jon recovers and/or reincarnates as a wolf/tree, and meets up with Bran
  • The Wall gets more and more hosed up without Jon in charge, Others attack, Wildlings revolt and move south
  • Cersei takes over again, totally fucks up everything, and loses all of the south to Aegon. Connington's greyscale gets worse, we get beat over the head with how bad his greyscale is
  • Stannis isn't dead (duh), the Boltons flay him up a little maybe? Boltons vs. Wildlings?
  • Literally hundreds of pages about how cold it is. It's winter now. We get it.

The last book would be (in 2018):
  • Jon takes back control of the Wall, defends the Wall against Others with help from Bran
  • Dany, Tyrion, Victarion land in Westeros, either teams up with, or fucks over, Aegon, and takes the Iron Throne
  • Arya comes to Westeros and kills, like, everyone. Her nightly prayer gets shorter and shorter.
  • Jamie does something good for once, and helps overthrow Cersei. Arya is the one that actually kills her.
  • Spring metaphors. Thousands of spring metaphors.
  • The valonquar and Azor Ahai and the perfumed seneschal and all the other vague prophecies turn out to be multiple people each, because that's how prophecies work

Knowing Gurm, it won't end happy sunshine unicorns for everyone, or anyone, but in the end Westeros will have a good leader, relative peace, and will have survived a surprisingly short winter. None of the great grand mysteries about magic or religion get answered, because that's life.

Each book will be longer and less tight than the previous one, but we'll still eat it up because we're suckers.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

ImJasonH posted:

plot predictions

A lot of these make sense in the light of just DwD, but I feel like this would leave a lot of plot threads unresolved. Marwyn and how the maesters' plot ties into everything, the connection, if any, between Valyria/dragons and the Others, Euron's connections to Marwyn/Valyria/Bloodraven(?), the nature of the Shadow, Sansa/Littlefinger, Varys' real motives (I still think there's more to him we don't know about), the truth or falsehood of the various religions, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is that the rest of the plot seems pretty predictable at this point, but GRRM has left himself a ton of latitude to still throw us a lot of curveballs.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImJasonH posted:

Definitely, I am just saying if he does manage to resolve all of that in two books, it will be a major shift in pacing from the past 2. Especially the Dany chapters, which have been slow paced world building since book 2 and will have to shift into full gear starting with her first chapter in the next book.

Speaking of which, I know the consensus is that the Dany chapters were awful in this book, but at least they were better than her sitting around some rich guys mansion for the entirety of book 2. I wish she had abandoned Mereen but her motivations make sense, and she is learning the difficulties of ruling and doing SOMETHING. I think Clash is where the Dany story got badly messed up. It should have ended with her gaining the Unsullied, and we should have been halfway through the Mereen story by the end of Storm.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

ImJasonH posted:

[...]

Each book will be longer and less tight than the previous one, but we'll still eat it up because we're suckers.

GRRM keeps saying he would prefer not to expand the series, and I do really, really believe him.

...except that he's going to submit a manuscript which needs to be split because it is physically too large to be bound into a single volume, and lo and behold, the series has just expanded.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

A lot of these make sense in the light of just DwD, but I feel like this would leave a lot of plot threads unresolved. Marwyn and how the maesters' plot ties into everything, the connection, if any, between Valyria/dragons and the Others, Euron's connections to Marwyn/Valyria/Bloodraven(?), the nature of the Shadow, Sansa/Littlefinger, Varys' real motives (I still think there's more to him we don't know about), the truth or falsehood of the various religions, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is that the rest of the plot seems pretty predictable at this point, but GRRM has left himself a ton of latitude to still throw us a lot of curveballs.

Well, one big wildcard is that you have two dragons on the loose and it's not clear that anyone can control them.

I really like idea of Bran warging into one though. That would be pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
I forget, where exactly is Howland Reed at this point? Just chillin' in the Neck? Someone has to meet him at some point for R+L=J, and nobody seems to be heading in that direction anytime soon.