Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

jcp982 posted:

Yes, but as I recall, that's only because the 'leak' has the DLC expansion.

Didn't one of the devs or PR guys say a long time ago when the preorder DLC was first announced that the AUD was part of the base game and the preorder just got you one for free? I can't remember where it was posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gadzuko posted:

Didn't one of the devs or PR guys say a long time ago when the preorder DLC was first announced that the AUD was part of the base game and the preorder just got you one for free? I can't remember where it was posted.
I remember reading that all of the in-game preorder bonuses, excluding the GameStop-exclusive mission, can be found later in the game. The object of preordering for the bonuses is to get early access to them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Black Eagle posted:

I remember reading that all of the in-game preorder bonuses, excluding the GameStop-exclusive mission, can be found later in the game. The object of preordering for the bonuses is to get early access to them.

In the leak, I'm fairly sure I found another of the preorder sniper rifles you start with in a secret area in the Detroit hub. So, yeah, it seems like (aside from the mission) that all the preorder stuff is just a little foot up, rather than anything essential.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Here's the latest Facebook unlock: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Behind the Scenes - Pre-Beta Playtest

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Amazon just reduced the price of the UK Xbox version to £35 :fap:

It's their most basic version, but still comes with:

quote:

An entirely new extra mission
Two weapons
* Linebacker G-87 multi-shot grenade launcher
* M28 utility remote detonated explosives
Auto-unlocking device

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

The Supreme Court posted:

Amazon just reduced the price of the UK Xbox version to £35 :fap:

It's their most basic version, but still comes with:

Awesome, though I pre-ordered when it was just under £39, now with this drop + the amazon credit I had I'm getting it for £10.01 :)

MZ fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 9, 2011

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MZ posted:

Awesome, though I pre-ordered when it was just under £39, I assume their pre-order price promise will apply?

If it drops at any point during your preorder, you get it at the lowest price possible. Usually this ends up being in the form of a refund after your order is complete. If they screw up on your order (not getting it to you in time usually), they'll give you video game credit.

The most annoying thing about the Amazon SKU system is it doesn't really say which edition of the game you're getting in the order ticket, I had accidentally preordered the PS3 version instead of the PC thanks to that.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Is it two weeks from now yet?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

If you missed the Deus Ex: Human Revolution deal that I've posted in this thread and the Steam thread, here's your fourth chance at it.

GMG put up another 20% off store-wide code for their Twitter followers. Use code 20PEC-TWEET-SAVER at checkout for the 20% off. I'm not sure when this one expires.
Another 20% off code: SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC

Standard Edition: $28.80 after 20% off code or $34 ??? (Price might have went up)
Augmented Edition: $40 after 20% off code

This is a Steamworks title so when the game comes out in 2 weeks you get a Steam redeemable key. There's no need to download anything from GMG.

There's also a 10% off code you get for taking the survey on the front page. Unfortunately it doesn't stack with the 20% code, but you can use it for something else.
10PEC-VOUCH-SURV1

If you want, here's my referral link. Newly registered accounts get $5 store credit after buying anything >= $5 (as do I).

edit: fixed pricing
edit2: added yet another promo code

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 10, 2011

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
I hope the New York bar theme and Hong Kong themes make it into the game. I know the UNATCO one is in there sort of (in a track someone posted on YouTube). I figure the Hong Kong one is gonna be in there given how popular it is.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I hope the New York bar theme and Hong Kong themes make it into the game. I know the UNATCO one is in there sort of (in a track someone posted on YouTube). I figure the Hong Kong one is gonna be in there given how popular it is.

If I recall correctly from the leak, the original themes are being put in on the radio, so it would be a huge missed opportunity to not include them, at least once you get to HK as Jensen. Also I love the metafiction of this concept, as if the soundtrack from DX wasn't extradiagetic, but JC Denton listening to an oldies station the whole time.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
I have a question about stealth. If you are spotted can all enemies hone in on you like cheaters? Or will it be more like MGS where if you stay silent and out of view the dudes will stop looking for you?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Pebbler posted:

I have a question about stealth. If you are spotted can all enemies hone in on you like cheaters? Or will it be more like MGS where if you stay silent and out of view the dudes will stop looking for you?

The latter

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I never played any DX before this, but the buzz has me interested, should I still pick it up?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

The Pebbler posted:

Vertigus already said it's more like MGS, but DX:HR also does the "where enemies THINK you are" mechanic. You can pop out, make them spot you where some of them open suppressive fire while others start to get closer, then you just get out of their view (duck behind something, or take cover behind it), cloak up if you have the augmentation, move to somewhere with a clear shot while cloaked or unseen, then just wait for the couple of enemies homing in on "you" to reach where you've been and take 'em out, then take out the others as well while they don't know what the gently caress just happened.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I never played any DX before this, but the buzz has me interested, should I still pick it up?
Fanboy response: Hell yes!
Normal response: Sure, but first look at the info about the game (there's a shitload by now) if it's something you'd want to play. The game is a prequel so you won't miss out story-wise (aside from some juicy references and links to previous games). I think the best tl;dr about the game is this trailer (even if it's cheesy / generic due to the narrator).

Alternatively, wait a bit and see what the post-release atmosphere will be like.

edit: Haha, I completely forgot what I came here to post:

What have you learnt making DXHR that you will take into the next game that you develop? - http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/post/8688934981/what-have-you-learnt-making-dxhr-that-you-will-take
Frank says: And we have a winner for one of the best questions I’ve gotten so far! (seriously) Ok, let me think… There may be some rambling in there, so be warned. Also, I think some of my emotions got mixed up with the answers. Yikes.

Here are two:
1. “Making games is not a democracy and that’s a good thing.”
It’s not something I’ve discovered on this game, but it’s the first time it’s been so important to my work. A lot of people were wondering if we were reading the forums while making the game. Well… yes we were. For a while at least. We saw the rants about regen health, cover, the fact that we would gently caress this up, that we knew nothing, that none of the original members were on the team so the project was doomed, you know… the good stuff to really cheer us on. We read it all and lived with it for years. It was hard. Especially because we couldn’t defend ourselves at that point. It was also the first time, in 11 years as a designer, that I was faced with so much anger and derision.

But what kept us going was our belief that any good piece of entertainment has to come from somebody; there has to be a soul at the point of origin, somebody with drive and passion willing to inject some of his or herself into the game. Making it our ‘own’ was the only way we felt we’d be able to live up to the franchise. There was no point in trying to replicate the first game. We aimed to be faithful to the original game’s essence, but not necessarily its mechanics. We kept what we liked and changed what we didn’t. Sorry if we angered you, but making these decisions was our job. Are we sorry we didn’t listen to everyone? No, because that would’ve made a terrible game.

You can’t design by committee. You need a leader with a vision. Ours was JF. And you may disagree if you want, but I don’t believe he’s lead us astray. Far from it. Good job boss. :)

2. “It’s the people, stupid.”
And by this I’m not only referring to the people making the game, I’m also including you, the players. First, you need the right dev people in the right places. And on this we were fortunate. We had a lot of great people. Secondly, never forget who you’re working for. That’s where YOU come in. In all honesty, the decisions we made, we made them thinking of you; whether it was a popular decision or not. We did not add regen health, the cover system or 3rd person to piss you guys off. We did it in an attempt to make the game more enjoyable, more immersive and less frustrating.

I admit that it’s hard to see all the trade-offs that go on behind the scenes. Days, weeks and months agonizing about how such and such will be perceived, how it’ll work, how much it adds to the overall experience. And when you’re designing a game of this scope, you just cannot cater to everybody’s whims or desires. You have to go for what will be relevant to most people. In the end, we did not design this game for the consoles or the PC. We did not design it for hardcore gamers, nor for casuals. And no, it wasn’t designed specifically for DX fans. We designed it for humans to enjoy. whatever their classification.

You may call it dumbing down or consolization. I call it good game design and I’m not ashamed. (yeah me!)

Well, guess I had something to get off my chest…

Tecman fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 9, 2011

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande

What's that music playing in the background?

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
Just to make sure, Human Revolution will be able to be activated on steam if I buy an actual tangible copy of it right? Its always nice having achievements and steam cloud and such.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Intense posted:

Just to make sure, Human Revolution will be able to be activated on steam if I buy an actual tangible copy of it right? Its always nice having achievements and steam cloud and such.

That's how all Steamworks games work.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This game better have a skul-gun augmentation

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Any thoughts about about the excellent looking Sarif Industries desktop theme linked in the Facebook group? Haven't tried it myself yet, I hate change.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

This game better have a skul-gun augmentation

The torso blaster that makes everything around you explode isn't enough?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Got a bit into Detroit on the leak, and augs are going to destroy me. Every time I pick an aug I see places others would have helped. Get level 2 hacking, and find myself wishing I had less chance of detection. Get the social aug and though it's been useful in a couple of spots the first thing I found after making the choice was a fire escape where better jump would get me up. Got Punch Through Walls because...dude, punching through walls, and then I'm strapped for inventory space.

Buyer's remorse, path left untraveled, grass is greener, I got all of em.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Speedball posted:

The torso blaster that makes everything around you explode isn't enough?

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head. Yesterday in Heng Sha, some
scum we all know pushes smack for TYM gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's,
1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam tosro gun.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bruceski posted:

Got a bit into Detroit on the leak, and augs are going to destroy me. Every time I pick an aug I see places others would have helped. Get level 2 hacking, and find myself wishing I had less chance of detection. Get the social aug and though it's been useful in a couple of spots the first thing I found after making the choice was a fire escape where better jump would get me up. Got Punch Through Walls because...dude, punching through walls, and then I'm strapped for inventory space.

Buyer's remorse, path left untraveled, grass is greener, I got all of em.

Honestly, the best way to spend your points is just in strength. There is nearly ALWAYS a way through a situation just by stacking stuff to get over something or hurling stuff at enemies.

It also has the biggest potential for comedy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pwnstar posted:

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head. Yesterday in Heng Sha, some
scum we all know pushes smack for TYM gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's,
1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam tosro gun.
Skul guns are great until someone hits you in the noggin with an epoxy gun and you risk blowing your own head up trying to fire it. http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Age-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0553573314

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tapatio posted:

Honestly, the best way to spend your points is just in strength. There is nearly ALWAYS a way through a situation just by stacking stuff to get over something or hurling stuff at enemies.

It also has the biggest potential for comedy.

It's not that I need a way past obstacles, I want all the ways past obstacles. If there are two ways into a building, either through hacking a door or dragging a dumpster over to a ladder, I'm going to be unhappy whichever one I put points into.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gyoru posted:

If you missed the Deus Ex: Human Revolution deal that I've posted in this thread and the Steam thread, here's your fourth chance at it.

GMG put up another 20% off store-wide code for their Twitter followers. Use code 20PEC-TWEET-SAVER at checkout for the 20% off. I'm not sure when this one expires.

Thanks a lot for this, man. I used your referral link, but it didn't give me any kind of notification that I was following one. Hopefully you still got your five bucks, because you definitely deserve it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Momomo posted:

Thanks a lot for this, man. I used your referral link, but it didn't give me any kind of notification that I was following one. Hopefully you still got your five bucks, because you definitely deserve it.

If you're "Alotofmomos" you should have 5 bucks too. :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

It's not that I need a way past obstacles, I want all the ways past obstacles. If there are two ways into a building, either through hacking a door or dragging a dumpster over to a ladder, I'm going to be unhappy whichever one I put points into.

Now you're making me hope someone will come up with a new game plus for this game, where you have all augmentations unlocked at once.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Gyoru posted:

If you're "Alotofmomos" you should have 5 bucks too. :)

I jumped on that too, great deal and I'm getting the console version, but the three monitor Eyefinity setup was amazing with Deus Ex and I should probably get the PC version just for that.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm tired of seeing the apologizes and non-apologizes of the developers for adding regenerating health at the expense of other late 90's and early 2000's holdovers.

Anyone who is against regenerating health on principal is a sperglord who's opinion you genuinely don't have to consider.

Regenerating health is unrealistic but it's a great game balance feature because you can always expect the player to have full health and don't have to come up with convoluted ways to recover it. You don't have to design "oh well what if they're at 50% here when they need at least 75%. So it helps simplify things for other more complex and fun features. Not to say the system is perfect, or should be in every game- it's just a really reliable way to balance out a game. Not to mention Deus Ex 3 pretty much hit regenerating health perfectly for the type of game they have. 3rd person cover systems have never been bad either so that's another thing they need to stop apologizing for.

I want to write a letter asking them to stop apologizing for being good developers.

Excluding all of this- most players probably had the health regeneration aug in Deus Ex 1, which was more or less just regenerating health you have to flick on.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MGS has had regenerating health ever since 2, but nobody ever complained about that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Momomo posted:

MGS has had regenerating health ever since 2, but nobody ever complained about that.

I'm sure plenty of people did. People will complain about anything, particularly in video games.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I'm sure plenty of people did. People will complain about anything, particularly in video games.

Speaking of which it's 72 degrees in this room but I like it at 75. loving AIR CONDITIONER. Doing it's job too well. Piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 10, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah it's 72 degrees in this room but I like it at 75. loving AIR CONDITIONER. Doing it's job too well. Piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the hell did this come from

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I still maintain that regenerating health is all but a requirement in any game that heavily features NPCs with hitscan weapons. There is no way to balance level design when the player literally can not affect whether the opponent scores a hit when you inevitably poke your head out of cover.

If this were an all out stealth action game, fine, but it has to also accommodate a bit of Rambo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I doubt it, as MGS2 was before regenerating health was a thing. The trend started with these next-gen shooter games, and that's why people complain.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Kiggles posted:

I still maintain that regenerating health is all but a requirement in any game that heavily features NPCs with hitscan weapons. There is no way to balance level design when the player literally can not affect whether the opponent scores a hit when you inevitably poke your head out of cover.

Actually there is a way to balance level design, since that's what happened for about a decade's worth of FPS games.

I mean, poo poo, you can look at loving Doom and Wolfenstein 3D for inspiration. The hitscan enemies in those games didn't shoot you as soon as you got in their view.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
There's a school of thought that says developers use health regeneration as a crutch. Rather than carefully creating levels with item placement in mind, they just sort of do whatever under the pretense that the player can squat in a bush for 10 or 15 seconds and be back in fighting condition. To some, it boils down to laziness.

I wouldn't go that far. Like Nelson Mandingo said, it makes sense in Deus Ex's universe with its nanotechnology and cyborgs and poo poo. I'm not a fan of health regeneration systems that reward squatting with 100% health, though, and think that developers could put a little more effort into how some of their systems work.

For anybody who plays "Brutal Doom" for Doom, it has a mechanic where your health will regenerate to like 25%, and it works wonderfully. It prevents the player from finding themselves in a position where he has 2 health and can't move forward, but ensures that the player still finds medkits (or their equivalent) rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Like Nelson Mandingo said, it makes sense in Deus Ex's universe with its nanotechnology and cyborgs and poo poo. I'm not a fan of health regeneration systems that reward squatting with 100% health, though, and think that developers could put a little more effort into how some of their systems work.

So where you can regen up to 100 but pop pills to 200 life, for example?

• Locked thread