Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Whitecloak posted:

I propose this as the Azerbaijani National Anthem:

أحب الخيل
أفضل من جميع الحيوانات
أحب الخيل
انهم أصدقائي

I think I copied that right...

I atlar sevgi
Bütün heyvanların ən yaxşı
I atlar sevgi
onlar dostlarım var

:colbert:

edit: So all of our vassals hate us despite saving the islamic world from the crusaders. I eagerly await the upcoming fragmentation.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Wiz posted:

Those ungrateful bastards! :argh:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Not surprising that everyone wants to kill the Sultan after he loots and insults glorious Kurdistan.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

While our Sultan may not be a perfect man, we cannot argue with his results. That was a remarkably successful counter-Crusade.

I'm sure they'll learn their lesson now. :v:

Well our subjects may hate our guts... but at least we got the Christians out! So it'll all be worth it.

...Right?

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2011

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Revenge is a dish best served on a kebab. Now lets just hope those ungrateful little bastards don't spoil it...

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Pfft, problem and solution come in a package. Too much reputation, and all our vassals are about to rebel? Just re-vassalize them whenever they rebel and cede claims to their land. Kabam, instant rep sink

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Fantastic! I just happen to wander in the LP forum after a pretty fair absence, only to find another Wiz Mega-LP! Azerbaijan will make trains, damnit!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ungrateful bastards. Ertan deals the heathens their greatest defeat in generations, doing more to push Christianity back than the real life Saladin ever dreamed, and the whole Ummah turns on him.

Of course, Ertan's bad reputation can be mitigated by distributing all the land he conquered to his faithful subjects and courtiers, but with such a low stewardship attribute and his warchest used up, it'll be hard to bribe convince many of his grumbling vassals to stay loyal.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
So your vassals hate and distrust you for delivering a massive defeat to your religious enemies? Someone should tell them the name of the game they're in. :colbert:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Wiz posted:

This right here is pretty much CrusaderKings.jpg

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Time to convert to Christianity and put your traitorous underlings to the sword! If the Muslims won't appreciate your prowess, maybe the Pope will.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Maybe they're just being opportunistic. After all, the Christians are no longer a threat, and Azerbaijan is over extended, and now this upstart Azerbaijani king is looking less useful and more vulnerable. (Though I'm sure this isn't how the game mechanics work out.)

Well, as long as the empire collapses into a pile of Muslim states instead of Christian ones, this whole adventure will still have an extremely positive impact on the world.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

(Though I'm sure this isn't how the game mechanics work out.)

It is and it isn't. If you appear weak and unable to fend off a challenge, your vassals will jump you. They'll also jump you if you have a tremendously bad reputation.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

Maybe they're just being opportunistic. After all, the Christians are no longer a threat, and Azerbaijan is over extended, and now this upstart Azerbaijani king is looking less useful and more vulnerable. (Though I'm sure this isn't how the game mechanics work out.)

Well, as long as the empire collapses into a pile of Muslim states instead of Christian ones, this whole adventure will still have an extremely positive impact on the world.

It's supposed to simulate your vassals feeling threatening by your rising power basically.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Oh what! This is absurd. Well, I hope the region remains Muslim despite it all.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008

Wiz posted:

It's supposed to simulate your vassals feeling threatening by your rising power basically.

Bitches be trippin' just wait till the hordes show up then they be like "oh oh Ertan please save us, I'm a limp wristed son of a goat and couldn't organize a herd of sheep let alone a whole drat Jihad." Ungrateful ingrates.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Gotta love the tidal forces in these Paradox games. Truly we have reached the ebb of high tide, and are about to experience the low.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How difficult is it to create a tyrannical dictatorship, ruling all territories directly and keeping the populace loyally terrified of your iron grip?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

AgentF posted:

How difficult is it to create a tyrannical dictatorship, ruling all territories directly and keeping the populace loyally terrified of your iron grip?

About as easy as it is in real life, probably.

I.e., it works great for smaller countries, doing it to larger countries and/or over long periods of time will probably gently caress you over though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

AgentF posted:

Impossible with a large realm. Your intrigue and title level (count, duke or king) limits how many provinces you can rule directly, if you rule more than that youn lose 10% of your income per province above your limit (so if your limit is 8, at 10 provinces you get 80% income). Furthermore, if you get less than 80% income efficiency you start getting really bad events like bandits going on rampage through your provinces and so on.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Well, you could play as the Pope or a Mongol since they get no demesne size penalties.

New plan: Convert Mongols to Islam; marry into Mongol bloodline

sum
Nov 15, 2010

AgentF posted:

I had the Mongols rampage through the entirety of Europe, conquering literally everything in its path all the way through France if that's what you're asking. (Although to be fair, I didn't continue playing that one so I never saw how it turned out)

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

AgentF posted:

Incredibly easy if you're the Mongols or a republic: they have no limit to their demesne.

EDIT: Or the Pope. That works too.

Servant fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 10, 2011

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Marry into the pope's bloodline; problem solved.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Um...

Wiz, how did the Emir of Khwarizmia get passed down from Kasim the loyal, royal regent to this Aydogdu pretender?
EDIT: And why do we have an Emir of Derbent when we do not actually own Derbent?
EDIT2: Alright, looking at this picture, I think I get it. The Emirates are the Muslim version of "duchies" in CK, and that for whatever reason, the game decides to call that specific collection of provinces the "Derbent" emirate, and that is what you're giving him...not the actual province of Derbent.
VVV Or rather, what you said.

Servant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 10, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Servant posted:

EDIT: And why do we have an Emir of Derbent when we do not actually own Derbent?

The joys of CK. Ducal titles you hold can be distributed more or less at will. In this case, our good ruler probably owns the other 2-3 provinces that make up the title so it hasn't been usurped by the Count (Bey) of Derbent.

In my Sicily -> Alexandrian Crusader State game I took perverse delight in scrambling up the Dukedoms, so the Duke of Cairo ruled from the Italian Peninsula etc.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
In my current CK game I have a Duke of Nicaea that rules Malta and only Malta, so yeah, you can totally have Dukes in territories that are unrelated to their titles.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
We may not need to panic too much, guys - reputation is (partially) repaired by handing out titles; giving the lands of Jerusalem to loyal and courageous vassals will doubtless improve matters.

The question is whether it will repair the damage enough, which is, um... tough to tell. And probably, given such vast, rapid gains, unlikely. But even shrinking the Sultan's demense by one or two provinces (he's at 7 right now, and that's probably just hitting the edge of his limit) we can make repairs.

Ultimately, though, it'll probably come down to dealing with a fuckload of rebellions; in my (admittedly limited) experience, if a rebelling noble doesn't have the 'Rebellious' trait and isn't already a fierce rival of your ruler, you can usually get away with accepting 'they will become our vassal' and nothing else as a peace demand. That'll reset their loyalty to 100 and since your demand is usually so much smaller than your war score, I think that has positive benefits to your reputation as well.

The upshot is, the Sultan has plenty of work in front of him, but I wouldn't go doomsaying just yet, is all.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Wow that was awesome, but like everyone has said, for every high in a Paradox game, there's a low, and I worry for our low. I'm still holding out hope for a Middle East Switzerland, just because that would be awesome.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What are the the religions of the Levant provinces? Have any of them been converted to Christianity, or were they all Muslim provinces with Christian overlords?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Good times are about to start.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Extremely bad reputation isn't necessarily that bad. Doling out a lot of land and titles combined with some trickery and tactical smackdowns of rebellious vassals can turn your badboy score around surprisingly fast.

Then again, gaming the system would not be amusing, so I hope everything disintegrates in a massive orgy of blood and death.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What happens to semi-salic gavelkind when you gain an emperor title? Will it make the primary heir inherit everything until you get another one/lose it?

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Asehujiko posted:

What happens to semi-salic gavelkind when you gain an emperor title? Will it make the primary heir inherit everything until you get another one/lose it?
There isn't really a level above the kingdom title in CK FYI, the Byzantine empire is just a kingdom with a unique name, and Holy Roman Emperor is a trait you can get by being king of Germany, Burgundy and Italy.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

"Emperor" is a trait you get for holding 5 King titles (or three specific King titles: Germany, Burgundy, and Italy), having 10 vassals, not be modest, and have very high Piety to represent good relationship with the Pope. (Source)

The reason I believe "Emperor" is a trait as opposed to a title is that historically, the Holy Roman Emperor was crowned infrequently by the Pope, and the HRE was more commonly known as just the King of Germany. It's not anything really useful anyway; according to this Paradox thread, it just increases your prestige.

Servant fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 10, 2011

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Servant posted:

"Emperor" is a trait you get for holding 5 King titles (or three specific King titles: Germany, Burgundy, and Italy), having 10 vassals, not be modest, and have very high Piety to represent good relationship with the Pope. (Source)

The reason I believe "Emperor" is a trait as opposed to a title is that historically, the Holy Roman Emperor was crowned infrequently by the Pope, and the HRE was more commonly known as just the King of Germany. It's not anything really useful anyway; according to this Paradox thread, it just increases your prestige.

So, is anyone else thinking we should spread Islam to Germany, Burgundy, and Italy?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

So, is anyone else thinking we should spread Islam to Germany, Burgundy, and Italy?

We should try to spread Islam to all the world.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
It would be cool to completely eliminate Christianity as a real religious force in the world and then have a bunch of Islamic religious movements which could spread throughout the Muslim world after certain events like the spread of the printing press, discovery of Americas, etc...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hey Wiz, a question: Was anything done to rebalance the province base values in CK in your setup? I find too much of the world of CK is uncharacteristically poor, which limits what improvements can be built there (beyond the existing problems like not being able to put a Mine/Forestry on Desert), which keeps them even poorer. It's a bit ridiculous in my mind, as it makes the big city provinces absurdly wealthy (but only some of the big cities, apparently) and everything else absolutely worthless. I suppose another solution would be to make the requirements for province improvements a little more generous so weaker provinces can at least be nursed up to profitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We must have the Sultanates of Firansa, Skandistan, Al-Alemand, Ruma, and Magyaristan. It'll be just like Dark Continent!

• Locked thread