Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

darkwithstars posted:

Kill Switch is a third-person shooter video game developed by Namco in 2003 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC. A Game Boy Advance adaptation was released in 2004. The GBA game was created independently of Namco, due to a licensing deal with Destination Software.[1]

Wasn't Kill Switch the game that pioneered the cover system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Splash Damage posted:

Wasn't Kill Switch the game that pioneered the cover system?

Actually, Operation Winback, a dreadful cover shooter on the N64 dating back to 1999 was probably the first, but Kill Switch was much less limiting than Winback since it had stuff like blindfire.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I went to a boarding school that had a high proportion of Hong Kong Chinese kids, so those 100-in-one Game Boy carts wound up being ubiquitous on my dorm corridor. It was pretty sad when the Advance came out and pirated games took forever to appear. I don't think I've ever even seen a GBA multicart before.

Were it not for one of those carts I probably never would have played the Final Fantasy Legend games :allears:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Were it not for one of those carts I probably never would have played the Final Fantasy Legend games :allears:

A Mighty Blow!!

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I used to be a ridiculous MMO addict...to the point where I actually played The Matrix Online. On top of that, I actually played it in beta.

People always talked about different methods they heard of killing Agents, or seeing Neo in various places. Nothing too interesting...

Anyway, for those of you fortunate enough to not have played it, the game had an interesting idle mechanic. If you stood around in the mission zone long enough, the game would spawn an Agent to basically kick your rear end.

The glitch was something my guild (I don't remember what they were called...factions?) used to not only powerlevel the entire guild at once, but to become so ridiculously rich we could control the economy.

Basically, one person would get a mission, and we'd all follow them to the location. They completed the mission, and would just wait around for the Agent to show up. As soon as he would spawn, that player would initiate the jackout command to quit. The Agent would then lose target, since it figured "well, he's quitting, so I'll let that slide."

But if the player then ceased quitting, the Agent just stood there. No target, not hostile. Just stood there. That was where the fun came in.

Agents were immune to any direct combat. They would dodge anything you swung/shot at them.
BUT they were not coded to ignore AoE damage. So everyone would simply target the couch/plant/box near the agent and cast "Logic Bomb" to do AoE damage to the dumbfounded Agent. Eventually he would die, and was worth a bit of XP.

We felt awesome for killing an Agent, but that's not the cool part.

As a failsafe in case someone did manage to kill one of them, the game coded the Agent to instantly respawn, with another Agent. Problem: they were keyed to target the original Agent's target. So now we had 2 dummy Agents in the room.

Cut to 20 minutes later. I think one of my hard drives still has screenshots of rooms full of dozens of Agents. We'd exponentially spawn them until the server crashed.

They patched it pre-retail and slyly called us on our poo poo in the patch notes.

Good times.

George Snorewell
Jun 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doctor_Acula posted:

I used to be a ridiculous MMO addict...to the point where I actually played The Matrix Online. On top of that, I actually played it in beta.

People always talked about different methods they heard of killing Agents, or seeing Neo in various places. Nothing too interesting...

Anyway, for those of you fortunate enough to not have played it, the game had an interesting idle mechanic. If you stood around in the mission zone long enough, the game would spawn an Agent to basically kick your rear end.

The glitch was something my guild (I don't remember what they were called...factions?) used to not only powerlevel the entire guild at once, but to become so ridiculously rich we could control the economy.

Basically, one person would get a mission, and we'd all follow them to the location. They completed the mission, and would just wait around for the Agent to show up. As soon as he would spawn, that player would initiate the jackout command to quit. The Agent would then lose target, since it figured "well, he's quitting, so I'll let that slide."

But if the player then ceased quitting, the Agent just stood there. No target, not hostile. Just stood there. That was where the fun came in.

Agents were immune to any direct combat. They would dodge anything you swung/shot at them.
BUT they were not coded to ignore AoE damage. So everyone would simply target the couch/plant/box near the agent and cast "Logic Bomb" to do AoE damage to the dumbfounded Agent. Eventually he would die, and was worth a bit of XP.

As a failsafe in case someone did manage to kill one of them, the game coded the Agent to instantly respawn, with another Agent. Problem: they were keyed to target the original Agent's target. So now we had 2 dummy Agents in the room.

Cut to 20 minutes later. I think one of my hard drives still has screenshots of rooms full of dozens of Agents. We'd exponentially spawn them until the server crashed.

They patched it pre-retail and slyly called us on our poo poo in the patch notes.

Good times.

Whoa

Dicking around with glitches in a game about the Matrix is pretty loving meta.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Doctor_Acula posted:

Good times.

Something I don't get about things like this. If you really don't want players killing certain NPCs, why give them HP at all? I understand if it's a quirk of your engine that everything must have HP, but why is it so common that this happens in MMOs and other RPG games? I don't know much about coding, but is it really so hard to create a "This has no HP. It is not influenced by attacks" flag?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Somehow picturing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qk4VP4vrs

But having agents stand around getting bombed makes it bit more hilarious.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Doctor_Acula posted:

If you do, I would love to see this.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Rocketlex posted:

Something I don't get about things like this. If you really don't want players killing certain NPCs, why give them HP at all? I understand if it's a quirk of your engine that everything must have HP, but why is it so common that this happens in MMOs and other RPG games? I don't know much about coding, but is it really so hard to create a "This has no HP. It is not influenced by attacks" flag?

Most games do have that flag, but in a complicated game like an MMO or RPG poo poo slips through because NPCs might still need to react to damage and account for different damage types, damage-like effects, DOTs, gear that affects HP, and so forth. Unless the programmers specifically code a class of NPC that is completely disconnected from the combat system, there is always a chance that a "no damage" flag might miss something or have an unwanted side effect.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

They really should have given you a neat title or prize for figuring that out, a Matrix game if anything should celebrate that sort of thing.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I'll go dig that drive out now and see what's on there. I am almost positive they're on there. I specifically said to myself "I have to save this, no one will believe this." Hell, it's been so long since I used that box, the friggin' game might still be installed.

We also used all the "information" (gold) gained to game the crafting system, once we figured out that if you designed your gear to give you "Combat Awareness" (a passive combat skill), nothing could hit you and you would hit like a truck.

I always wanted to find a way to have them react to one of us, and jut have that person run. Imagine if you're standing around a hardline, figuring out how this arcane interface works, and you just see some guy running down the street with like 144 Agents in tow.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Full disclosure: I've read about these hoaxes / urban legends long ago, but the specific details (specifically, nouns) I've forgotten. Some people more knowledgeable than myself could elaborate:

One (some sort of starship game) had a race of cowards. How that was represented in the game was that their ships would constantly flee from you. But there were rumors that there was one ship, piloted with people of that race that weren't cowards. There was this big rumor / hoax that it was possible to find this ship, but turns out it didn't exist.

There was another rumor/hoax I read (might be the same game, I think) in which some of the planets in the game were special, somehow. If you sperged out and marked down the co-ords of all of these special planets, there was a Giant Honking Arrow. Did it point anywhere? People looked, and looked... and bupkiss.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I forgot that...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rocketlex posted:

I'm willing to bet they wanted it to be possible to "kill" the Agents, as long as they immediately respawned and had to be fled from eventually, since that's how they are in the movies.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Kill Switch is quite obviously a hoax. That much is now apparent. I kind of regret putting it in the OP now that I know how fake it is, but its still a cool story.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SpaceBees posted:

Kill Switch is quite obviously a hoax. That much is now apparent. I kind of regret putting it in the OP now that I know how fake it is, but its still a cool story.

But the title of the thread is "Video Game Hoaxes" :confused:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Full disclosure: I've read about these hoaxes / urban legends long ago, but the specific details (specifically, nouns) I've forgotten. Some people more knowledgeable than myself could elaborate:

Both of these are from Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters (which is now freeware).

quote:

One (some sort of starship game) had a race of cowards. How that was represented in the game was that their ships would constantly flee from you. But there were rumors that there was one ship, piloted with people of that race that weren't cowards. There was this big rumor / hoax that it was possible to find this ship, but turns out it didn't exist.

The cowards are the Spathi; the rumour is of the Black Spathi Squadron, which does not exist in-game. It's unclear whether it "really" exists and you just never meet them, or whether it's just a myth.

quote:

There was another rumor/hoax I read (might be the same game, I think) in which some of the planets in the game were special, somehow. If you sperged out and marked down the co-ords of all of these special planets, there was a Giant Honking Arrow. Did it point anywhere? People looked, and looked... and bupkiss.

This is a reference to the Rainbow Worlds, rare worlds rich in high-value resources (and which the Melnorme will pay you just for locating). They do in fact form a Giant Honking Arrow, pointing in the direction the Precursors left in - interesting lore-wise, but you can't follow them in-game or anything.

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I
Episode 14 of Pop-Fiction is up: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-14-pop-fiction/718387

Talks about a possible workaround in older versions of Ultimate Alliance to unlock missing characters.

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I heard that Samus was going to be in a Marvel Alliance game until word got out the game was going to be mutliplatform, and then Samus got canned.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Going back to the Arkham Asylum discussion, I have a copy that has never had any updates pushed to it. Unless my copy is a later release that included the supposed patch, I should be able to go and see if the secret room is there or not.

The only problem is I don't know where it's supposed to be. I've gone through and laid explosives on every wall that could conceivably fit Batman through it, but if it's there, I might not have done it right because I was only using a single spray for each wall segment.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Dareon posted:

Going back to the Arkham Asylum discussion, I have a copy that has never had any updates pushed to it. Unless my copy is a later release that included the supposed patch, I should be able to go and see if the secret room is there or not.

The only problem is I don't know where it's supposed to be. I've gone through and laid explosives on every wall that could conceivably fit Batman through it, but if it's there, I might not have done it right because I was only using a single spray for each wall segment.

It's three sprays in the corner of the warden's office. I think it's the one directly opposite the entrance.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Red Octopus!! posted:

I heard that Samus was going to be in a Marvel Alliance game until word got out the game was going to be mutliplatform, and then Samus got canned.

Woah, hang on there. Are we talking Samus, like Samus Aran? That would have been awesome.

Has Samus ever made a cameo as a playable character in a non-Nintendo game? I know she makes a non-playable cameo in Dead or Alive Dimensions for the 3DS. Link was in Soul Calibur 2 Gamecube version, but that's the only other time I can think of a Nintendo character being playable on the Nintendo console version of a multi-platform game.

While were on the topic of Soul Calibur 2 and console exclusive guest characters, back when Soul Calibur 2 first came out, and a couple of years afterwards, I kept hearing about a "master" or "dev" version of the game that had all three characters playable on the same hardware. The logic was since there wasn't one "lead" version of Soul Calibur 2, the engine was developed across all three platforms simultaneously, and by extension so were the three guest characters. Then, when the discs were finalized, they were locked out in some form or another off the versions they weren't exclusive to, so you couldn't use Spawn on the Gamecube or whatever.

If this did exist it would be pretty cool to see Link take on Spawn, or just see the absurdity of Link being playable on Microsoft or Sony hardware. Makes me wonder if Kratos is buried somewhere in the Xbox 360 version of Mortal Kombat's disc data. I mean it seems like it would be easier just to block him out then remove the code from the disc, and that kind of thing is really easy on consoles.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 6, 2011

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I really think its stupid for them to have gimped Ultimate Alliance that way for last generation systems, like I really can't put why they'd do that other than to sell for the newer systems but still Colossus and Moon Knight weren't going to move many people from one system to the other.

SpaceBees posted:

Woah, hang on there. Are we talking Samus, like Samus Aran? That would have been awesome.

There's a clip of Samus (and Link) in game at the end of the video.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SpaceBees posted:

Has Samus ever made a cameo as a playable character in a non-Nintendo game? I know she makes a non-playable cameo in Dead or Alive Dimensions for the 3DS. Link was in Soul Calibur 2 Gamecube version, but that's the only other time I can think of a Nintendo character being playable on the Nintendo console version of a multi-platform game.

Mario, Luigi and Peach were playable characters in one of the SSX games for the Gamecube. The one with skiing in it (ugh).

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Mario, Luigi and Peach were also playable in a NBA Streets V.3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Street_V3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY0qBhT03eM

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Capsaicin posted:

It's three sprays in the corner of the warden's office. I think it's the one directly opposite the entrance.

Found it, it's right there in the vanilla game. Rather underwhelming, really.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

SpaceBees posted:

Makes me wonder if Kratos is buried somewhere in the Xbox 360 version of Mortal Kombat's disc data. I mean it seems like it would be easier just to block him out then remove the code from the disc, and that kind of thing is really easy on consoles.
He isn't. Some people on Facepunch have been ripping character models from the 360 version to convert to GMod, and Kratos isn't in there. It's apparently impossible to extract models from the PS3 version, some kinda disparity between the PC/XBox and PS3 versions of the Unreal engine file structure.

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks

SpaceBees posted:

While were on the topic of Soul Calibur 2 and console exclusive guest characters, back when Soul Calibur 2 first came out, and a couple of years afterwards, I kept hearing about a "master" or "dev" version of the game that had all three characters playable on the same hardware. The logic was since there wasn't one "lead" version of Soul Calibur 2, the engine was developed across all three platforms simultaneously, and by extension so were the three guest characters. Then, when the discs were finalized, they were locked out in some form or another off the versions they weren't exclusive to, so you couldn't use Spawn on the Gamecube or whatever.

If this did exist it would be pretty cool to see Link take on Spawn, or just see the absurdity of Link being playable on Microsoft or Sony hardware. Makes me wonder if Kratos is buried somewhere in the Xbox 360 version of Mortal Kombat's disc data. I mean it seems like it would be easier just to block him out then remove the code from the disc, and that kind of thing is really easy on consoles.

There are hacked versions of the xbox version that have all 3 extra characters in them but the disc doesn't have the models in them, just the animations/movesets so the only way to play as them is by switching a character's costume so it's basically that character's sounds/models with Heihachi's and Link's movesets.

Ephrum fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 7, 2011

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I thought this was pretty relevant to our discussion. It's a micro-horror movie about an evil video game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFi6Nqo93e0

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

A couple of urban legends from N64 games:

In Banjo-Tooie, you can go into the entrance of Grunty's lair from the first game to meet the book of cheats, but the way to the rest of the place is blocked by a collapsed hallway. Because the name of the room, as displayed when you entered it, was Grunty's Lair (entrance), some people were convinced for years that that meant there was a way to get through the rubble and go through all the levels in Banjo-Kazooie with the new moves and features from Banjo-Tooie.

Also, in Shadows of the Empire, the last level is a space battle between you and your rebel buddies, the Empire, and some pirates. Now, when you shoot an enemy in space (or on Hoth), its name and remaining are displayed (example: Tie fighter 30%). The Empire arrives with a Star Destroyer in that level, one of the big ships from the movies. When you shoot it, Star Destroyer 100% appears. This is obviously saying you can't damage it no matter how much you shoot it, but some people thought for the longest time that there was a way to destroy it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh man, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are great for this stuff. Banjo-Tooie features a mostly functional multiplayer mode in which player 2 controls enemies in the main game that's only accessible with a cheating device. The cartridge-swapping thing they had planned for the games is pretty drat fascinating, too, and there's even apparently evidence that Donkey Kong 64 might have been also been intended to carry this feature.

I realise that this is mostly more to do with cut content than hoaxes or urban legends, but the ice key was the source of lots of arguments and lies in third grade :allears: plus I remember avid discussion and new discoveries surrounding everything buried in the games persisting late into the PS2/Xbox era.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Mammal Sauce posted:

banjo stuff
The 2nd page of this thread has quite a bit of info about this.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rocketlex posted:

If I remember right during my limited playing time of Matrix Online, they weren't supposed to be invulnerable. They were supposed to be mini-raid bosses that had great items on them on the downside that for every one you kill, another two spawn. They could also spawn if you were going into areas in the world that were above your level or certain "restricted zones". Matrix Online was a game of a lot of cool concepts, but really poor execution, unfortunately.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Don't think this one has been posted yet

click for big

Eh, I'm not feeling it. I know you have to suspension your rationality and belief for most of these stories, but this one is a bit to far out there =/

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

mom washed cumshirt posted:

In Banjo-Tooie, you can go into the entrance of Grunty's lair from the first game to meet the book of cheats, but the way to the rest of the place is blocked by a collapsed hallway. Because the name of the room, as displayed when you entered it, was Grunty's Lair (entrance), some people were convinced for years that that meant there was a way to get through the rubble and go through all the levels in Banjo-Kazooie with the new moves and features from Banjo-Tooie.

As I recall, a big part of this is that the area within Grunty's Lair is called "Grunty's Lair (entrance)," implying there were other areas. I almost seem to recall someone finding an area name called "Grunty's Lair (tower)" in the game's code which drove everyone loving nuts. It might not have been "tower," but it was something like that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

JammyLammy posted:

Don't think this one has been posted yet

click for big

Eh, I'm not feeling it. I know you have to suspension your rationality and belief for most of these stories, but this one is a bit to far out there =/

It was completely fine until the end, with the TV static and everything. I could have bought a really weird, random sequence being tossed in for laughs (or even as some kind of debug-like room) and even a "creepy" video of someone one the team playing a very early version of the game as a teaser for future projects, but the magic static and save hacking was a little too far.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It was completely fine until the end, with the TV static and everything. I could have bought a really weird, random sequence being tossed in for laughs (or even as some kind of debug-like room) and even a "creepy" video of someone one the team playing a very early version of the game as a teaser for future projects, but the magic static and save hacking was a little too far.

They might as well have ended it with "The static, it's- no! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Reposted it in the Fallout 1 - 2- Tactics thread, and said the same thing. Ugh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The problem I have with it was that the video would've been found long before the room was.