Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Lone Rogue posted:

So you decided to stay on a phone for hours when you could have pressed 2, then when you got on the line you acted superior to the tech support because he clearly wasn't as smart as you? Seriously, I don't believe you're going to get much sympathy from anyone. You should have done what he asked and if nothing got solved, then maybe you'd have a reason to complain. I have a feeling during your argument you spouted, "Dude, seriously, I used to be a tech. You're doing it wrong. I don't have to do that poo poo."

I have pressed '2' for a callback literally eight times and never gotten one back, which is why I had to wait on the phone for hours. Not once in a month of trying to get in touch with them have I ever gotten a call back. You can search my post history to find me complaining about it a few weeks ago, if you like. And while it might make you feel better to think so, I wouldn't be that much of a dick to a tech, regardless of how dickish they're being to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Twiin posted:

Edit: Whatever. You guys can pretend like this is perfectly acceptable behaviour for a tech, but if someone came in here saying "loving rogers tech wouldn't help me and hung up when I asked him to look up my account info -- get this -- because i use a router!" it would be nothing but "yeah loving rogers are the worst!!" and "switch to teksavvy!!" posts for the rest of the day.

No you loving twonk it would be. "Hey maroon you should bypass your router like every other isp tech support on the planet would tell you because then they won't hang up on you and actually proceed either passing you up to a higher level tech or solve the problem."

It's like talking to a brick wall with a superiority complex with you.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Nitr0 posted:

No you loving twonk it would be. "Hey maroon you should bypass your router like every other isp tech support on the planet would tell you because then they won't hang up on you and actually proceed either passing you up to a higher level tech or solve the problem."

It's like talking to a brick wall with a superiority complex with you.

The problem I had was this: I think my account is provisioned incorrectly, due to the speeds I'm getting. Can you look it up for me please?

He then refused to take my account info, ran me through speedtest, asked me about my network setup, and told me there wasn't anything he could do for me.

If you think that's the correct response to my problem, then we live on different planets.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
There's a lot of angry tech support dweebs in this thread. Embrace the rage, script monkeys.

Twiin- I am in agreement with you. I would have escalated to his supervisor myself.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Backov posted:

There's a lot of angry tech support dweebs in this thread. Embrace the rage, script monkeys.

Twiin- I am in agreement with you. I would have escalated to his supervisor myself.

:frogout:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'm so very glad to be back at my apartment using my TekSavvy internet. :)

It's ~6 times faster than the Bell internet I've been on all week.

Also, I just realised that I'm getting a speed that is faster than advertised... their site still says up to 15 Mbps... has the recent change with Rogers' plans finally taken effect, or is Speedboost in effect or something?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 6, 2011

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

Backov posted:

Actually, that might be an interesting poll, who has actually worked in ISP tech support in this thread?

'Cause as a former ISP tech support guy I'm with Twiin on this one. Our process was to advise the customer that while we could to do SOME troubleshooting, we couldn't do COMPLETE troubleshooting. Does that mean we wouldn't dispatch a tech if they had a 3rd party router when it's clearly the provisioning? NO, the router has nothing to do with it. BUT we wouldn't know if we didn't do basic troubleshooting!

In fact, when I was working front line I'd have a provision test (amongst others) done within the first minute or two of the call, before the guy is even done telling me his problem. Customers are more willing to do troubleshooting for you when you say you've checked the ISP end and everything checks out.

It doesn't matter if you've been on the phone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, you'd be pissed if a call center agent brushed you off and refused to do BASIC troubleshooting himself.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 15, 2020

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This thread reminds me of the time I did tech support for wireless. We'd always tell people not to call from the device that we need to troubleshoot. Was always fun resetting their connection and hearing the call drop.

Almost the same thing with ISP tech support. If you're an unwilling to jump through hoops have fun with broken Internets :shopkeeper:

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

This thread reminds me of the time I did tech support for wireless. We'd always tell people not to call from the device that we need to troubleshoot. Was always fun resetting their connection and hearing the call drop.

Almost the same thing with ISP tech support. If you're an unwilling to jump through hoops have fun with broken Internets :shopkeeper:

Haha, oh god I hated that doing support for AT&T. Especially when the customer is on the road or calling in the middle of doing something. Why yes, I'd love to wait on hold for 20 minutes while you finish your drive home.

Having said that, keep in mind that Twiin is jumping through hoops. He's indicated he's getting a laptop to troubleshoot with. He's just upset that the tech support agent wasn't willing to check anything else, and rightly so.

Let's say Twiin gets his laptop/60ft ethernet cable and calls again. This time tech agent does complete troubleshooting and discovers it's a line issue (or provistioning issue etc.). Now he needs to escalate or dispatch. This chain of events essentially caused wasted time and negative perception for the customer and increased call volume for the call center (which in turn causes increased hold times), all because the original agent couldn't be bothered to do a couple 10 second tests.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

New Cogeco plan coming into effect in my area:

60GB -> 80GB :rolleyes:
$45 -> $49 (or something to that effect, don't have the paper near me)
$30 max overage -> $50 max overage :mad:

The next tier is 120GB, so I guess I need to figure out whether the price of the next tier + its overage price is more than $49 + $50 overage. If it's not I guess there's no real need to upgrade.

Be ready for a surprise - there are no overage caps on the high end packages anymore. I couldn't believe it myself but it seems to be true. So if you're on either of the two high end packages and you go over they start billing at $1.50/GB. Their timing couldn't be worse either, TPIA tariff adjustments are being sorted out right now and a few resellers have commented that Cogeco-land resale will be ready in a month or two. The new prices go into effect in October.

Anyway I can't wait to be rid of Cogeco again, they are a scummy little company. They bought some cable company in Portugal against investment advice and surprise it hasnt gone anywhere. Their quarterly financials were very weak so they're trying to pass the losses off to consumers. They should be going the other way with package pricing and traffic parity. I'm paying $115 a month for internet/phone and that isn't enough for them to make a profit on? Good riddance.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Twiin why are you fighting this fight? If it's this much trouble look for an alternative! You live in probably the best place in the country for options (Bell/Rogers would love us to think otherwise lol).

This was a good thread until everyone started jumping down your throat.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zigmidge posted:

You live in probably the best place in the country for options (Bell/Rogers would love us to think otherwise lol).

I wouldn't go that far. Western Canada's options are far superior to anything in Bell/Rogers territory.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'd say if you had access to SaskTel you're set!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Be ready for a surprise - there are no overage caps on the high end packages anymore. I couldn't believe it myself but it seems to be true. So if you're on either of the two high end packages and you go over they start billing at $1.50/GB. Their timing couldn't be worse either, TPIA tariff adjustments are being sorted out right now and a few resellers have commented that Cogeco-land resale will be ready in a month or two. The new prices go into effect in October.

Thanks for the heads up. I think we'll be staying with the 80GB/mo + 50 overage max for now then. We don't usually go over all that much. I'd say we probably hit 130-150gb on a heavy month, but if I can get all that included in a $50 max overage then I guess that's the way it's going to have to be.

Hopefully whoever resells Cogeco hits us soon so we have some leverage. Our HDTV/cable box/etc contract is coming up and whatever breaks we got on equipment are going to hit in a few months so that should be a nice chip to bring to retentions. I'm willing to stay with them if I can get a little push/pull on my TV service.

Depending on whether or not the resellers have a deal I can't afford to pass up, I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zigmidge posted:

I'd say if you had access to SaskTel you're set!

But then you'd have to live in Saskatchewan.

Ughhhhhhh.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Is it normal to get dramatically slower speeds on speedtest.net when torrenting, or is that a sign that I'm being throttled?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

thexerox123 posted:

Is it normal to get dramatically slower speeds on speedtest.net when torrenting, or is that a sign that I'm being throttled?

Are you running the torrent at the same time you're testing? Because the torrent is sucking up all your bandwidth.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
It's a bit like clocking your car's top speed when you've got the engine pulling double duty as an industrial lathe.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

thexerox123 posted:

Speedtest.net sends you a file, then receives a file from you and measures how fast the file got there. If you are using your internet for anything else during that period the measurement will be off because the tool can't see the traffic your torrent client is managing.

On the other hand if your torrent's combined up and down speed is, say 5Kbps, nothing else is using the connection, and speedtest.net only comes up at 1Mbps when you normally have a 15Mbps connection, something may be up. In that case try enabling protocol encryption and see if it makes a difference. On SHAW I see large speed increases for torrents when forcing protocol encryption.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 8, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vergeh posted:

It's a bit like clocking your car's top speed when you've got the engine pulling double duty as an industrial lathe.

Announcer 1 - "And here they come out of turn 5, and just look at Team Home Depot go! They're pulling into the lead, some fine driving there by driver Scooter Johnson!"

Announcer 2 - "I couldn't agree more. And just look at the quality of that victorian writing-desk leg that co-pilot Tim Abrahms is turning on their engine-lathe. They'll certainly be earning style points at the finish line with quality craftsmanship like that."

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I have reservations about whether a speed test would work at all in this case (especially if it isn't using multiple connections for the down and upstream tests), but I usually found folks were quick to hit connection count limits that affect their browsing and Internet access pretty badly when torrenting. This could be bottlenecked at the ISP for you (maybe a router thing too), or your router simply doesn't cope (kinda less likely. 2048 or 4096 was a common limit but Rogers has capped me earlier than 4096 before). You have to be pretty conservative with the connection settings in your client. Almost a Less is More kind of deal?

It sounds more like either the torrent really was taking up a lot of the line capacity or indeed there was some funky throttling. Or throttling unrelated to the torrent like peak hour limits or something. I like the lathe analogy.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Thanks for all of the replies! Yeah, I figured it was just slowing down due to the torrent, but I was surprised at how much it was slowing down, so I figured I'd ask. I do get pretty consistently fast torrent speeds, though, so the more I think about it, I doubt I am being throttled at all.

I think I probably do want to get a faster router at some point... I bought a D-Link DIR-615 kind of on the fly, because we hadn't realized that we were only getting a modem from TekSavvy, and not a combo device... but we just got a third roommate, and we use XBox Live/Netflix pretty regularly (and have already been having connection issues with them with just 2 people), so I'm thinking it might be better for the three of us to split the cost of a better router.

What do I want to be looking for in a router to make sure it can handle the load that three college students would put on it?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 9, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

thexerox123 posted:

What do I want to be looking for in a router to make sure it can handle the load that three college students would put on it?

RAM. My Netgear WNR3500 has 64MB. I suggest getting one with equal or more.

Consumer routers crap out due to active connections/NAT tables eating RAM before they max out their processors.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Also gigabit switch/LAN ports if a lot of file sharing goes on between computers!
Or you can save some cash and get a separate gigabit switch for quite cheap and connect one of its ports to the router too. I find gigabit switch-equipped routers to be a bit more expensive but they may still be pretty good all around.

If you've got a lot of wireless going on then ignore the above.

I personally built my own pfSense firewall box and have a 16-port gig switch and a couple of wireless APs attached. :p

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
I have a question about switching to Teksavvy and I am hoping someone will have an answer.

I used to live in Montreal and I had Videotron cable internet. I have a modem which I used while in Montreal and it is a Motorola Surfboard. I don't have the exact model number on me but I have checked in the past and the modem is listed on the list of supported modems from the Teksavvy site. However, I do not know if I own the modem or if it was rented and I didn't return it before leaving; I honestly do not know if I own it but they have never contacted me about returning it and I haven't been billed or notified that they want it back.

Anyway my question is; If I were to sign up for Teksavvy cable internet, would I be able to use the Motorola Surfboard modem which I have? Is it "locked" to videotrons network? Can I reset it or something? Ideally I want to get Teksavvy internet without having to buy a modem if I can use the one I have.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Naes posted:

Anyway my question is; If I were to sign up for Teksavvy cable internet, would I be able to use the Motorola Surfboard modem which I have? Is it "locked" to videotrons network? Can I reset it or something? Ideally I want to get Teksavvy internet without having to buy a modem if I can use the one I have.
Does the modem still have the Modem ID/MAC address sticker on it? As long as you can provide that information to TekSavvy and the modem is supported on the network, it should work just fine. (You might also need the serial number for the modem, but I don't think that's the case.)

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
Currently I am not at home to check but I do believe I have that information. I dont spend a lot of time staring at my old cable modems but from what I can remember there is a sticker with lots of numbers on it. I will obviously check this evening when I get home. I have a box for the modem and everything though. There is a sticker on the box which for sure has the serial number on it and other information. Not sure about mac address.

Is it possible modems are "locked" to a network? or is it just that the mac address of a modem has to be registered with a service provider for it to work? Does anyone know would Teksavvy charge to setup this modem on their network? or is that all part of the "installation" cost?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Naes posted:

Currently I am not at home to check but I do believe I have that information. I dont spend a lot of time staring at my old cable modems but from what I can remember there is a sticker with lots of numbers on it. I will obviously check this evening when I get home. I have a box for the modem and everything though. There is a sticker on the box which for sure has the serial number on it and other information. Not sure about mac address.

Is it possible modems are "locked" to a network? or is it just that the mac address of a modem has to be registered with a service provider for it to work? Does anyone know would Teksavvy charge to setup this modem on their network? or is that all part of the "installation" cost?

I know that at least one of the Telus dsl modem that I have had uses customized firmware and the user is locked out of the lower level configuration so it would probably be hard or impossible to use on another network. If your modem is just a regular motorola cable modem though it should be fine. There's a list of models that Teksavvy officially supports on their site.

Teksavvy charges a setup fee and there's a discount if you buy your modem through them so using your own modem you would have to pay the full fee but that's still cheaper than paying the discounted fee + cost of a modem.

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
Alright perfect, thanks for the help. I am gonna call up Teksavvy tonight when I can physically hold the modem and give them any information they might ask. I will just ask them directly, they should be able to tell me what is or isnt possible. This modem issue is not a deal breaker for me, just would like to pay as little as possible obviously

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just signed up for Shaw's 100mbps/500gig package.

Wow is Shaw ever busy right now. I tried calling them a few times last night only to be hit with an "all circuits are busy" message so I couldn't even get as far as to get on hold to talk to a sales agent.

Then I tried again early this morning and got through but the sales department wasn't open yet. I tried again a little after 8:00am and got 'all circuits are busy' again a few times but finally got through after about 4 or 5 tries. Fortunately they had a call back option and they actually did call me back about 20 minutes later. They are mailing my modem to me tomorrow or Monday so I should have it mid-next week, yay!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Squibbles posted:

Wow is Shaw ever busy right now. I tried calling them a few times last night only to be hit with an "all circuits are busy" message so I couldn't even get as far as to get on hold to talk to a sales agent.

Then I tried again early this morning and got through but the sales department wasn't open yet. I tried again a little after 8:00am and got 'all circuits are busy' again a few times but finally got through after about 4 or 5 tries. Fortunately they had a call back option and they actually did call me back about 20 minutes later. They are mailing my modem to me tomorrow or Monday so I should have it mid-next week, yay!

And they wont come in the east :( .
God drat monopolies and land-splitting deals...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I might look into that setup, I loving love Shaw. Always will stand by them.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Vintersorg posted:

I might look into that setup, I loving love Shaw. Always will stand by them.

Since I already have my cable and phone through them it's not even that bad.

$100 for cable + phone + 50mbps
+$10 for 100mbps
+$10 for the movie pack so I can get AMC for breaking bad
+$10 for the sports pack so I can watch the canucks

It's another $10 if you want a 750gig cap instead of 500. There's also an unlimited option but it's quite expensive. Also I think next year they are rolling out 250mbps :aaa:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Squibbles posted:

Normally you wouldn't run into that much congestion. I think last night and this morning though they were having some serious problems with their infrastructure. Not only was my internet out for quite a while last night, even the TV signal was effected on the digital box.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Also keep in mind that the next two months are going to be super busy for ISP's. With the school/college year starting and people moving, techs are probably working over time for new installs and moves.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Normally you wouldn't run into that much congestion. I think last night and this morning though they were having some serious problems with their infrastructure. Not only was my internet out for quite a while last night, even the TV signal was effected on the digital box.

Yeah Shaw had an outage last night in BC. Don't know what it was but their support line was prefaced with the message 'unplug your modem, let it sit for 10 seconds and then plug it back in', so it had to have been pretty far-reaching.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Squibbles posted:

Since I already have my cable and phone through them it's not even that bad.

$100 for cable + phone + 50mbps
+$10 for 100mbps
+$10 for the movie pack so I can get AMC for breaking bad
+$10 for the sports pack so I can watch the canucks

It's another $10 if you want a 750gig cap instead of 500. There's also an unlimited option but it's quite expensive. Also I think next year they are rolling out 250mbps :aaa:

250!?!? Wow... Canada is a good place to ship the high seas right now. :supaburn:

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah Shaw had an outage last night in BC. Don't know what it was but their support line was prefaced with the message 'unplug your modem, let it sit for 10 seconds and then plug it back in', so it had to have been pretty far-reaching.

We did indeed have some interruptions last night (Mostly Maintenance afaik), and this morning / early afternoon (Not Maintenance) specifically in the GVRD. (Though not exclusively)

Barring any isolated cases, they should be resolved. I think pretty much all of our queues that take BC calls got absolutely killed, however.

Our volume is higher during the summer months for sure, but yesterday and today were.. uh.. a little more than seasonal volume.

(Shaw Employee. *Not* an official rep, nor an official statement.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Awesome: http://stopthecap.com/2011/08/03/cogeco-customers-pay-for-companys-european-mess-rate-hikes-sooth-portuguese-write-off/

So we have Cogeco and neither TekSavvy DSL nor cable is available to us. gently caress monopolies.