Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

brc64 posted:

I asked about this in the hardware thread, but maybe it's more of a software question, I don't know. What does everybody think of the Time Capsule? Specifically, is Time Machine poo poo, awesome, or merely okay? And how much flexibility is there when configuring the wireless? Is it pretty barebones, or do they have some advanced options like static dhcp leases and port forwarding?
Time Capsule is pretty awesome. It's a decent router with some good options. I don't have mine in front of me right now (at work) but I believe it does have static DHCP leasing. I do know that it does have port forwarding.

I need to clean mine out and get my backups going again, but its been pretty seamless since I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I've had a bit of a strange bug since Leopard where my wireless will suddenly be unable to see any network drives at all. The internet still works, but I can't connect to the airport extreme (or even scan for it with airport utility) until I turn off airport and turn it back on. This has been especially frustrating when it happens without me noticing and makes it so time-machine can't run overnight.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, looks like OS X 10.7.2 is on the way...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/12/apple_releases_new_developer_builds_of_mac_os_x_lion_icloud.html

Never trust 10.X.0 releases..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, looks like OS X 10.7.2 is on the way...
10.7.2's been on the dev site for a couple weeks now. That's just a newer build of 10.7.2.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, 10.7.2 is just an iCloud test bed. As you'll notice, they haven't mentioned anything about 10.7.1, except that it won't contain iCloud because that's what 10.7.2's for :v:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

Never trust 10.X.0 releases..
What does that even mean?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

10.x.0 releases haven't been very good in the past. Snow Leopard was pretty good, but Lion's definitely been the best so far. It's not without issues, but certainly their best effort yet. I sort of expect it by now though, considering how long they've been working on OS X.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That first out of the gate will be really buggy I guess. I've had my share of problems since updating to Lion, but for one reason or another my system has been rock solid stable for the past week or so. Maybe my copy of Lion was just going through some post-install nervousness :3:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It means never trust the initial releases of OS X unless you like crashing a lot. Wait for the fixes in later versions.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

<edit> Wow, beaten like my johnny...

New, named OS X release. 10.7 Lion, 10.6 Snow Leopard, etc.

Anecdotally, I have always updated day 1 and have never run into any show-stopping bugs.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

It means never trust the initial releases of OS X unless you like crashing a lot. Wait for the fixes in later versions.
But I mean in regards to your link. Your link details an update that introduces iCloud functionality for app developers. It doesn't say anything about bugs or bug fixes.......

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

headfake posted:

I wonder if the WiFi thing is related to the slow restore from hibernate?

The Airs have a thing where they go from regular sleep to full hibernate after 70 minutes (if not plugged in). Waking up from this state is super slow. It pages all your stuff out to disk as much as possible, so even after it wakes bringing each app back up is slow.

There's more info about this in 'man pmset'. I turned it off by doing:

code:
pmset -a standby 0
I don't see why you would want this in the first place. It saves a tiny amount of battery power, which is only going to be relevant if you leave the machine asleep for days or something, and then expect to use it without plugging it in. I would virtually never run into this scenario, so it's better turned off.

The other weird thing about it is that it actually makes the wakeup much slower on the Air in most cases, contrary to the advertising about how it wakes up so quickly.

You know, that might be the issue. I haven't tested it, but the inability to connect to a recent network seems to be more common a) if the computer has been asleep for an extended period of time or b) I'm moving between access points. Interesting. Thanks.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

10.x.0 releases haven't been very good in the past. Snow Leopard was pretty good, but Lion's definitely been the best so far. It's not without issues, but certainly their best effort yet. I sort of expect it by now though, considering how long they've been working on OS X.

I'm not really a power user but I felt like leopard and snow leopard were very smooth. I also don't remember any significant bugs bothering me with the launch of tiger but that's probably selective memory.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ndrake posted:

I'm not really a power user but I felt like leopard and snow leopard were very smooth. I also don't remember any significant bugs bothering me with the launch of tiger but that's probably selective memory.

Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion have all been very smooth for me on my early 2008 iMac with 4GB RAM. I always completed a format before installation though.

Expose in Snow Leopard loving sucked though. Lion's implementation takes the good things about Expose in Leopard and turns it into something even better.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 13, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Binary Badger posted:

I've never had a single crash in any 10.x.0 version. Ever.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

brc64 posted:

Tangent: How do you "click" a button in a dialog box that isn't the default button? I can tab between them, and highlight one, but pressing Enter seems to just hit the default button. In Windows, I'd use space to press the selected button, but that didn't work for me yesterday.

I realize I'm a bit late to the game but I thought I'd chip in. At least in Leopard and SL space was the appropriate button to hit. I'm still on SL, it would be really annoying if they changed that particular behavior for Lion.

And as was also mentioned, some programs let you hit the first letter of the dialog option, or command + the first letter, it varies widely.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Terpfen posted:

Guessing you never used 10.0.0 ;)

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Re: Command+first letter in some cases.

"Don't Save" used to be (Snow Leopard and prior) Command+d, but is now (Lion) Command+Delete.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really wish Apple would allow network drives to automatically mount when you connect to a network. I have an Airport Extreme with 3 externals attached and when I add them to the "Login Items" area in the System Preferences, I always end up with 2-3 duplicates of every drive.

Any advice on fixing this?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Terpfen posted:

You never used 10.0.0 or 10.1.0 then. Hooooly poo poo did they suck

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Without much ado posted:

I realize I'm a bit late to the game but I thought I'd chip in. At least in Leopard and SL space was the appropriate button to hit. I'm still on SL, it would be really annoying if they changed that particular behavior for Lion.

And as was also mentioned, some programs let you hit the first letter of the dialog option, or command + the first letter, it varies widely.

Well, given that the system refused to acknowledge actual clicks, I wouldn't be surprised if space was supposed to work, but didn't for some related reason. I haven't bothered to test it since then.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had my issues with Lion but whenever I learn to deal or accept something new, it throws something unexpected at me. And now it's crashing, hard. From the looks of it, Lion likes violating my MBP 3,1's graphics card something fierce. I don't know if it's just WoW (L4D seems to play fine), but Lion doesn't want me playing it for more than 30 minutes before it locks the whole thing up (sound plays but that's about it) and after a few minutes of waiting I get artifacting. I couldn't get a screenshot since the whole machine was locked up and I've had to power down manually about six times today and it's getting pretty annoying.

I've heard Lion has some issues with certain Nvidia chipsets (but mostly 2010 MBP is mentioned). I had no problems with WoW and SL. The only other reason I can think of for this is that I play on an external monitor (Apple Cinema HD), and as some genius at Apple disabled the option to shut down my MBP's display when using an external monitor, and thus the graphics card is forced to render what's happening on two screens, thus overheating it. Possible?

Goddamn I hope 10.7.1 fixes this. Whenever it comes. :negative:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Terpfen posted:

I've had my MacBook Air for less than a week, and I've had all kinds of things crash.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

flyboi posted:

I like to pretend everything before 10.3 didn't exist.

Even though I pretty much used OSX since day one :suicide:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
13" MBP locked up (pinwheel of death) this morning when I got to work upon waking it from sleep. I rebooted and got the dreaded ? folder. I just got home from work and put the install CD that came with it in and now all it does is kernel panic when booting from the CD.

:suicide:

What now?

edit: Drive isn't detected in a 20" iMac, but is detected in a Windows 7 box. Unplugging the HDD and booting off the recovery CD works fine.

gently caress. Guess the HDD is dead.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 13, 2011

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Whatever, man. Jaguar had Core Graphics. Hardware accelerated window drawing meant it was no longer a slideshow to do anything in the Finder. :colbert:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I'd used Apple systems growing up, then took a break in the mid-to-late 90s as I basically switched to Windows for awhile (mostly to building my own systems), but came back to using Apple systems when OS X beta was out (a friend's father was a developer and gave me a copy at the time, which is how I became interested in OS X).

As poor as OS X 10.0, 10.1 and to a lesser extent 10.2 were, it's still nice in some ways to be able to reflect on how much it has changed and improved since then. It's funny though going to places like MacRumors or such and seeing how people rag on XP - while it's certainly not ideal now, for awhile OS X was just so much worse (at least in my opinion, and OS X fairly quickly caught up and surpassed it).

I do love though how there were quite a few systems that, while initially listed as supporting OS X when it was released, really had no business using it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

came back to using Apple systems when OS X beta was out (a friend's father was a developer and gave me a copy at the time, which is how I became interested in OS X).
Ars posted a fun trip down memory lane a couple months back.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

flyboi posted:

No, I never used 10.0 or 10.1. I got on board the OS X train with 10.5. My point stands, though: I've never had a 10.x.0 version crash on me. Guess I'm doing something right/wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Martytoof posted:

I remember installing Panther, but don't actually remember using OS X before that (only OS9). :iiam:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, yeah, a lot of those pictures bring back frustration-filled and yet nice, fun memories. Though did I ever hate the stripes in Aqua...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since upgrading to Lion I'm having a reoccurring issue of the ability to adjust the sound being lost. The sound still works fine, but I cannot adjust the sound using the keyboard or dropdown on the menubar. Repairing the permissions on the drive and restarting seems to resolve the issue, but it will come back later that day or the day after.

Here's the system prefs:

I'm almost positive it's a Lion issue. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Will Airfoil allow me to redirect certain apps to certain audio outputs on my mac?

Like for example if I want to redirect iTunes to go out the spdif output, while everything else goes through my stereo 2.1 output as usual.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I have been getting a lot of audio glitches on my Macbook 2007. I'll be listening to something or watching a video on Youtube (all audio does this), and all of the sudden the audio will start to skip, sometimes repeating over itself. My system processes cpu usage will spike to 100%. Any ideas?

DeGooninator
Sep 10, 2005

by Lowtax
What software do you guys use for your logitech mice? I've tried everything from USB overdrive, mouse steer, logitech control center, mouse acceleration and nothing seems to work just right. For reference I'm using a G500 mouse on Lion.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Terpfen posted:

No, I never used 10.0 or 10.1. I got on board the OS X train with 10.5. My point stands, though: I've never had a 10.x.0 version crash on me. Guess I'm doing something right/wrong.
OS X was pretty mature by then, the thing you got right was just coming in later than a lot of us :v:.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you want Windows-based acceleration, install MS IntelliPoint for Mac software.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Will Airfoil allow me to redirect certain apps to certain audio outputs on my mac?

Like for example if I want to redirect iTunes to go out the spdif output, while everything else goes through my stereo 2.1 output as usual.

I don't think so. Airfoil just sends audio to the Apple TV/etc. But, I think Soundflower will do this:

http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SourKraut posted:

I do love though how there were quite a few systems that, while initially listed as supporting OS X when it was released, really had no business using it.

I had a sawtooth with blazing fast 2GB PC133 ram hacked in w/ overclock so it ran at 500MHz on a 450MHz proc and a reflashed TNT2. God did it suck trying to use OSX on that fucker but I felt like such a badass.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Caedar posted:

I have been getting a lot of audio glitches on my Macbook 2007. I'll be listening to something or watching a video on Youtube (all audio does this), and all of the sudden the audio will start to skip, sometimes repeating over itself. My system processes cpu usage will spike to 100%. Any ideas?
Are you running the latest software? (web browser and flash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

headfake posted:

I don't think so. Airfoil just sends audio to the Apple TV/etc. But, I think Soundflower will do this:

http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/

I'll give this a shot this weekend, thanks.