Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I added an Adventure Map section for goon maps:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post394377654

If I screwed anything up or missed any (very likely) let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Schweinhund posted:

If I screwed anything up or missed any (very likely) let me know.
I'd say Chronobashers Grizwald Maps deserve a spot on that list

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Danyull posted:

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

Rules:

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list.

List of Players:

Danyull
Intl Cron (TURN) (missed him the first time, sorry)
Fishylungs
Abortion is yummy
Estel
Thomas Petersen (whatever the hell you call yourself here) Frobbe
Tinuan
Paul Sheckarski (same as Petersen)
Boiled Water
Arkitektbmw
Rack
kinghotpants
Nekoxid
AzMiLion
Nettle Soup
Marux
Raar_Im_a_Dinosaur

if you'd looked at the email adress that would've been made clear to you :colbert:

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009
I would be down for the chain MC world.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

It looks like jeb is remaking the buildings in npc villages.

e; VVVV Now that looks cool.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 12, 2011

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
That screenshot is pretty much pointless, nothing of value to be seen. I found this link he posted earlier more interesting:

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/medieval-building-bundle-98192/

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
Thought I'd share a few pictures of some stuff I built on the Seriouscraft server:

Texture pack is NorseCraft :black101: :rock:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So after using sphax's pack for a while, I can't help but notice how lazy it is. He basically just recolors the same tilted pentagon over and over for just about everything.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I finally got tired of building things into natural features, and for the first time ever, set out to build myself a proper, freestanding, on level ground, house.

It has a nice, wide veranda, with chairs.

It's not a simple rectangle. It follows the flat area I graded out of the hill it's built on.

Well, it's a hill from one side. From the other it's a 50-block sheer cliff.

The ground floor is almost empty at the moment, except for my tiny room. On the other side of my desk is the basement access ladder.

The basement follows the outline of the house. I have no idea what to do with it yet. There's a few windows way down there, on the cliff side of the house. Grass started growing next to them, so I put up enough torches to let it cover the entire floor.

The second floor is the library. The whole floor is nothing but stacks of books, crammed in as tight as I could get it...

...and a few carrels and study tables. Without space for readers, it's not a library but a repository.

The overhanging roof design means that the attic is more than high enough to be useful. I realized that from the vast majority of angles you couldn't even see to the peak of the roof from the ground, so I capped its height and made skylights. Dunno what to do with this space yet, either.

Moonrise from the library, showing how high up the house is (I think this picture was taken from y=105 or so).

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
Hey Schweinhund I think you may have added the old .rar files for Gourd Avenger adventure maps. I've updated them recently. New links are http://www.mediafire.com/?zj6k9lf7bv6rcq0 for Gourd Avenger and http://www.mediafire.com/?8dasvp43sa7bwn7 for Gourd Avenger 2.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

That screenshot is pretty much pointless, nothing of value to be seen. I found this link he posted earlier more interesting:

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/medieval-building-bundle-98192/

Just to clarify, he was asking for inspiration for buildings and some guy sent him these. Jeb said they were too complex though so I'm pretty sure these won't be in the vanilla game.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

tinaun posted:

It looks like jeb is remaking the buildings in npc villages.

So, I really haven't been following development of this game much lately, have they revealed what sort of NPC's will inhabit these villages? I remember talks of goblins last year, and the pigmen skin is already in the game. I just fear running into a village of Steves.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt

Danyull posted:

Chain World.

Email sent. Sounds like a cool idea.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
I'm also in for the chain world. Thanks for handling it, Danyull.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

triad posted:

I keep getting the error: "Could not create the Java virtual machine". Any ideas? I've got my target written out as such:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\Users\Scott\Minecraft.exe"

Your problem is the "Program Files (x86)" part. If you're on a 64 bit machine, you'll need to use the 64 bit Java, which should be in the plain "Program Files" directory.

thatdarnedbob posted:

Why don't more people use Caps Lock for sneaking?

Brady posted:

You got me excited for a second because I thought it would make it toggleable. No go.

It's toggleable when set to caps lock on OS X :smug:

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
News from Notch on google plus:

"Reworking the biome code. Interesting stuff. Will probably allow for rivers. :D"

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Akito12345 posted:

Hey Schweinhund I think you may have added the old .rar files for Gourd Avenger adventure maps. I've updated them recently. New links are http://www.mediafire.com/?zj6k9lf7bv6rcq0 for Gourd Avenger and http://www.mediafire.com/?8dasvp43sa7bwn7 for Gourd Avenger 2.

updated

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Here's my latest map "The Eye".

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/525233-adv-the-eye/

If you can add it to the OP, that would be great! Thanks :)

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Invisble Manuel posted:

News from Notch on google plus:

"Reworking the biome code. Interesting stuff. Will probably allow for rivers. :D"

He also recently tweeted something about "infinitely zoomable biomes", whatever the hell that means.

Nick at Nite man
May 9, 2004

Shnakepup posted:

He also recently tweeted something about "infinitely zoomable biomes", whatever the hell that means.
Maybe a joke about Euclideon?
edit: http://tinyurl.com/3jwmero

Nick at Nite man fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 12, 2011

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Notch posted:

Deploying surprise in.. 29873.. 29872..
2 hours ago

Soooo. This lines up with 6pm CST (11:30 currently), any ideas?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

StealthArcher posted:

Secret Friday update? :ohdear:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

StealthArcher posted:

Originally 1.8 was supposed to be launched after PAX, so it's probably not that.
That said, I wouldn't mind some piece of info about 1.8. Villages, what the Adventure elements consists of. Stuff like that.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Apparently he's trying to "deploy" it now. He was asking Mollstam for help, so it's something web related?
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/102060719100534785

Stats maybe?

EDIT: Mollstam response:
I'm "warming up" the "death ray"
https://twitter.com/#!/mollstam/status/102062981495521280

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 12, 2011

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Boat posted:

It's toggleable when set to caps lock on OS X :smug:

How do you do this?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Insurrectum posted:

How do you do this?

Just go into the esc menu, click options > controls then click the gray button next to "sneak" and hit the caps lock key.

:siren:NOTE: ENTERING YOUR INVENTORY OR ALT-TABBING WHILE CAPS LOCK SNEAKING WILL UN-SNEAK YOU AND YOU WILL PLUMMET TO YOUR DOOM IF YOU ARE "OVER" THE EDGE OF A CLIFF:siren:

Also you'll have to double-tap caps lock to turn it off and on again to resume sneaking.

Also, Schweinhund, would you mind adding MaximumMinecraft to the op? It's a mod manager, yes, but it also has a bunch of optimizations and tweaks for running plain ol vanilla Minecraft. I can write up a brief blurb if you like.

e: well, since I just wrote one up for the Modding thread anyhow...
MaximumMinecraft - A full featured Minecraft manager for OS X which includes:
  • Profile Management: Keep different concurrent combinations of mods ready to run with a click.
  • Memory Management: Free up inactive RAM for Minecraft to use & disable memory-hogging OS X features.
  • Save File Management: Automatic backups & the option to run saves from a USB Flash drive or RAM disk to get blazing fast chunk read/write speed.
  • UI Management: Automatically disable Magic Mouse scrolling and/or two-finger scrolling on MacBooks so you don't accidentally switch to that lava bucket and incinerate yourself when you really just want to fire an arrow.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 12, 2011

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

JerikTelorian posted:

Notch is going to flip the killswitch that disables all of our game keys and force us to buy new ones at beta cost. Surprise!

wyoming posted:

So, I really haven't been following development of this game much lately, have they revealed what sort of NPC's will inhabit these villages? I remember talks of goblins last year, and the pigmen skin is already in the game. I just fear running into a village of Steves.
I hope it's pigmen. Adding a bunch of humans to the game would sort of detract from the "Survival" feel. At least, that's how I feel when I gently caress around with Millenaire.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Iacen posted:

Originally 1.8 was supposed to be launched after PAX, so it's probably not that.
That said, I wouldn't mind some piece of info about 1.8. Villages, what the Adventure elements consists of. Stuff like that.

I really really really hope he (eventually) puts in tools and things like NPCs and notes and various other things that allow us to build our adventure maps better. world edit and toomanyitems built into the creation tool, notes so we no longer have to use notepad files (or editing the map picture), scripted lighting and sounds and music, etc.

Working on an adventure map at the moment, there's so many times where I'm like "I really wish I could have this particular music start up here, or lights to activate here, or etc"

edit: Oh yeah, and I'd LOVE to force it to be night or day depending on what part of the map they are on.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 12, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JerikTelorian posted:

Apparently he's trying to "deploy" it now. He was asking Mollstam for help, so it's something web related?
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/102060719100534785

Stats maybe?

It's probably something to do with that minecraft convention.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

It's probably something to do with that minecraft convention.

Apparently not. Buy one get one on Minecraft this weekend. May want to drop this in the title/op.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8829997577/wedding-weekend

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Notch, I already own the game. :colbert:

Oh well, better buy another one..

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Connecting Overworld Locations With Portals 101 by goon Boat:
code:
Press F3 to get your coordinates
at both/all of your portals.

Overworld   |   Nether
 Portal A    |   Portal A
Coordinates  |  Coordinates
  X = 72     |    X = 15
  Z = -30    |    Z = 3
-------------+-------------
-------------+-------------
 Overworld   |   Nether
 Portal B    |   Portal B
Coordinates  |  Coordinates
  X = 362    |    X = ?
  Z = 40     |    Z = ?
===========================

Find the Difference Between Overworld A and Overworld B
=======================================================
X: 362 - 72  = 290
Z: 40 -(-30) = 70

Divide by 8 for Nether
======================
X: 290 / 8 = 36
Z:  70 / 8 =  9

Add/subtract to/from the Nether portal coordinates
==================================================
X: 15 + 36 = 51
Z:  3 +  9 = 12

Build Nether Portal B at:
=========================
X = 51
Z = 12
(tidying up the OP a little, posting this so I can link to it)

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

mdxi posted:

What texture pack is this? I remember seeing it in the old thread too, but it's not in the OP.

I think the buy-one-get-one deal is pretty sweet. Definitely a good incentive to convince some friends to play... Though it's a little awkward explaining that they're probably going to want to start a new world once 1.8 hits.

And I'll be thrilled if 1.8 has rivers. I've dug out a few artificial ones, and they really add life to a map.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
Welp, true to form I was creepered while exploring so the chain world is passing along soon to Fishylungs.
I did a ton of infrastructure on the main house Danyull began, though there is still no roof... Although I managed to get a bed so spawn is set to the house now.

Enjoy the newly finished storeroom (w/ labeled chests) and the armory - I tried to get a good starting stockpile and foundation for the rest of you folks to work off of.

Post pictures! Kind of sucks I wont get to see what becomes of it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Intl Cron posted:

Welp, true to form I was creepered while exploring so the chain world is passing along soon to Fishylungs.
I did a ton of infrastructure on the main house Danyull began, though there is still no roof... Although I managed to get a bed so spawn is set to the house now.

Enjoy the newly finished storeroom (w/ labeled chests) and the armory - I tried to get a good starting stockpile and foundation for the rest of you folks to work off of.

Post pictures! Kind of sucks I wont get to see what becomes of it.

well, once the map is done (the chain ends) we could host it on a server or something for a bit?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

JerikTelorian posted:

Apparently not. Buy one get one on Minecraft this weekend. May want to drop this in the title/op.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8829997577/wedding-weekend

Aww. I just bought this 2 days ago and have a few friends who are interested in trying but not in spending $20 for it.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Chain world's been sent to Fishylungs. As far as maps go, it's up to you all whether you want me to make them every couple turns or not, but part of the whole thing is stumbling upon what other people built ahead of you.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I wanna start a yogbox chain once 1.0 is released. We'd have to decide on a list of mods though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How big would you say is too big for an adventure map? I don't want it to be like the original water temple, where it ran badly for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Danyull posted:

Chain world's been sent to Fishylungs. As far as maps go, it's up to you all whether you want me to make them every couple turns or not, but part of the whole thing is stumbling upon what other people built ahead of you.

I've come to brag that I have 12 diamonds and 0 deaths.